Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games

An article titled Trolls and Tribulations on GamesIndustry International talks with Linda Carlson, Director of Global Community Relations at Sony Online Entertainment about the difficulties inherent in managing online communities, where the nights are long and the tempers are short. She explains their approach to griefers includes the possibility of banning someone from playing their games if they can determine he or she is being excessively abusive even when this is external to a game, using Twitter abuse as an example:

"Not only will we ban your forum account, but if it's serious enough we'll call up customer service and have you banned from all of our games. We do not need those individuals as customers," Carlson says of the most offensive and anti-social players. "A very influential player, high up in a huge guild - we'll still ban them... In our games, if you are an exploiter we don't care who you are, how big your guild is, how many people you threaten to take with you when you go.

"We can control anybody who's playing our games...[but] if we know who you are and you're abusing somebody on Twitter, we will ban your game account and we will not accept you as a customer ever again. It's not always possible to identify people [in that way], but we take that seriously."

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 20, 2013, 10:40 Redmask

Closed Betas wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 20:25:
First of all your no lawyer, and where in the contract does it say, if you post shit outside our network and we don't like it, we can ban you and keep your money and game account. I mean, what the fuck are you smoking trying to defend this communist bullshit?

You don't seem to know what communism really is so you should stop misappropriating the word for video game rants.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 20, 2013, 09:53 Ryan Lange

...where in the contract does it say, if you post shit outside our network and we don't like it, we can ban you and keep your money and game account.

The same place where they say, essentially, that they can terminate their service to you for any reason whatsoever. I'm quite surprised you're not aware of clauses like this; they're quite common.

I mean, what the fuck are you smoking trying to defend this communist bullshit?

Communism? Stay in school, my friend. Stay in school... (Or go back; whatever better fits your current situation.)

49. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 20, 2013, 00:01 Kedyn

Ryan Lange wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 19:16:
Cutter wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 12:53:
...this could easily be construed as discriminatory.

I don't think that very many people are going to get too agitated over discrimination against assholes.

I don't think there's any better way to say it. There are more constructive ways to bring up issues with a game other than being a cancer to its community.

48. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2013, 21:57 LurkerLito

BobBob wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 20:27:
I wonder if this has ever been tested. Has someone tried and failed due to the TOS or EULA?
Yes it has been and the Supreme Court is the one that upheld it, that's why it's been added to nearly every single ToS and EULA since.
http://www.citizen.org/concepcion-anniversary-justice-denied

47. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 21:54 Victor Grunn

It's not a "word misunderstood by social conservatives". It's misunderstood, period. People across the political spectrum also cry "free speech!" and talk about the Constitution when they're censored on privately owned forums. And let's not even get into "fascism" talk.

That said, I'd like to know what the scope of their policy is. If you say something outrageous on your twitter feed and it has nothing to do with your EA account or game, but someone knows that that's your feed, can you get kicked off? A policy can be legal and pretty crappy all the same.

Gaming Trend Staff Writer: http://www.gamingtrend.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VictorGrunn
Amateur game dev: http://victorgrunn.newgrounds.com
Gtalk contact: Victorgrunn

46. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 20:56 HoSpanky

I see several people saying it's absurd that they ban you for something you're doing "on an unrelated system (twitter)". Considering they'll have a facebook/twitter posting ability built into the game system, it's not "unrelated". Still a bit of a stretch, but if people post videos of them being racist assholes in a game on Twitter....then I can see why SOE may ban them.  

45. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 20:52 Harlequin

First you clearly do not understand the term "Communism" I'd suggest looking it up, as it has no bearing on what is going on here.

Second, this isn't (insert mis-understood word used by social conservatives) as many moons ago it was clearly established, in US law, you have NO rights on a site/service except rights the owners choose to give you. (certain protections already established like racist, hate mongering or the like still protect you but generally speaking this is true). So this isn't (insert mis-understood word used by social conservatives) it is simply EA using its rights as established in the rule of law. In other words, yes if you choose a handle in game they don't like they can terminate your account over it legally with no other justification needed.

All that said, if this is true AND they stick to their guns I am all for this. I am hoping other MMO's follow suit. Will be less assclowns us serious players have to deal with and we can enjoy the game without dealing with assclowns who play to game to take that joy away.

44. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 20:44 PropheT

Closed Betas wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 20:27:
using communism

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

43. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 20:28 Julio

Warskull wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 19:51:
The Planetside 2 team is, bluntly, a bunch of power-tripping douchebags. They will ban you if they don't like you.

SOE is working on your ban right now, you dared to say something wrong about them

42. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2013, 20:27 BobBob

LurkerLito wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 19:28:
You know there is no way you can bring a class-action suit anymore to ANY company right? You agreed to that when you agreed to the ToS or EULA. Every single one of them has that anti-class-action suit clause in it now. So they can go ban happy and each person has to represent themselves to an arbiter who Sony pays for FYI. So justice ha, good luck with that. Everyone thank the judges who said it's OK to click away certain rights in ToS and EULAs that 95% of people don't read and majority of probably wouldn't understand even if they did.

I wonder if this has ever been tested. Has someone tried and failed due to the TOS or EULA?

41. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 20:27 Closed Betas

this USA country has gone complete bonkers, now we are such capitilists, we are using communism to shield ourselves to more profits and less headaches..  

40. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 20:25 Closed Betas

Ryan Lange wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 19:36:
Beamer wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 19:22:
...I'm ok with it if they also involve refunds.

Since a ban is usually the result of you violating your "contract" with the company in some way, I don't see any company offering a refund to the people they ban. Ever.

First of all your no lawyer, and where in the contract does it say, if you post shit outside our network and we don't like it, we can ban you and keep your money and game account. I mean, what the fuck are you smoking trying to defend this communist bullshit?

39. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 19:51 Warskull

Closed Betas wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 18:16:
Kedyn wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 16:28:
jamiedj99 wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 14:30:
its like goting to the bar calling your boss a dick and going to work the next day to find out you been fired for it. this can be abused i could see soe banning people who speak out about how shitty a game is and get banned

I doubt it. If they banned everyone that has ever said a negative thing about their games, they wouldn't have any customers left. Everyone has an opinion, even about the game they love, and I've done my share of trolling for Planetside 2 in the past that I'm not particularly proud of.

Kinda funny, because, I was a PS2 player hardcore in beta, was a good game up until they took away back caps, and made adjacent squares only capturable.. made the game utterly pathetic.. went from a good game to absolutely waste of time linear zergfest of stupidity.... I voiced my opinion and they had no problems banning me.... They loved me when I ran one of the best armor core's in the game.... How quickly they turn when you tell them the truth... Did the truth make me a troll? No, it hurt them, so they got butthurt and banned me from the forums... Kicker... They kept my pre-order money, and would not refund it... They have a real heartless SOB that will sell out his mother to not give you a refund... Thats when you realize.. who gives two shits what these companies say... I have not missed them in my life one bit.. And nothing in the future will i care for.. good luck with that business strategy.. you think your above the world because your a big name..... i've seen kingdoms bigger than sony's crumble in a weeks time.....

The Planetside 2 team is, bluntly, a bunch of power-tripping douchebags. They will ban you if they don't like you.

38. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 19:50 saluk

If you are a bad little boy or girl, santa wont bring you nice presents this year...  

37. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 19:46 Ryan Lange

Kedyn wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 15:38:
This isn't exactly new for SOE. Twitter is the example, but the best real example for SOE doing something to a player misbehaving is BuzzcutPsycho, who was banned for a week from Planetside 2 because of his activity on another organization's Teamspeak which was recorded on his own stream.

I was under the impression that his suspension was only 24 hours. Either way, while he was communicating over TeamSpeak and streaming over Twitch, he was playing PlanetSide 2 at the time and his behavior was entirely in relation to the game.

Still, there are things like this that he got away with. I'm not confident that SOE has the fortitude to follow through with Ms. Carlson's statements for behavior exhibited within their own games, let alone on third-party sites.

36. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 19:36 Ryan Lange

...I'm ok with it if they also involve refunds.

Since a ban is usually the result of you violating your "contract" with the company in some way, I don't see any company offering a refund to the people they ban. Ever.

35. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 19:34 Beamer

Dev wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 19:24:
I'm ok with it if they also involve refunds. If you bought 3 months and only used one, refund cash on the 2. Prorate DLC over 6 or 12 months and refund.
Since when did a steam or EA or SOE ban involve refunds?

Steam bans tend to be fairly cut-and-dry, though, right? As in, it isn't a matter of opinion that you cheated, instead a matter of fact.

In this case, I think there's a lot more judgment involved about whether you were "abusing" somebody.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

34. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2013, 19:28 LurkerLito

Raven wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 14:06:
As Sony has loved to say for 14 years now, "You're in OUR world now".

They won't boot enough people to be able to form a class-action suit... What class? A class of trolls? Ooops, isn't that hate speech now?
You know there is no way you can bring a class-action suit anymore to ANY company right? You agreed to that when you agreed to the ToS or EULA. Every single one of them has that anti-class-action suit clause in it now. So they can go ban happy and each person has to represent themselves to an arbiter who Sony pays for FYI. So justice ha, good luck with that. Everyone thank the judges who said it's OK to click away certain rights in ToS and EULAs that 95% of people don't read and majority of probably wouldn't understand even if they did.

33. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 19:28 Ryan Lange

Kedyn wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 16:28:
...I've done my share of trolling for Planetside 2 in the past...

Speaking of PlanetSide 2, Ms. Carlson's "We do not need those individuals as customers" statement rings a bit hollow to me in light of the fact that BuzzCutPsycho[1] only ever received, at most, a 24-hour suspension for his behavior. They don't seem to have the balls to police their own games very well; how are they going to police Twitter, too?

[1] BuzzCutPsycho was the leader of possibly the largest Terran Republic outfit in the game. He was such an abrasive individual that he garnered the near-hate of at least half of the vocal community. This stretched all the way back to the original game, too.

32. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 19:24 Dev

I'm ok with it if they also involve refunds. If you bought 3 months and only used one, refund cash on the 2. Prorate DLC over 6 or 12 months and refund.
Since when did a steam or EA or SOE ban involve refunds?

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo