Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Warhammer Online Ends in December

The Warhammer Online Website announces Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning will close on December 18th due to the license for the MMORPG lapsing:

We here at Mythic have built an amazing relationship working with Games Workshop creating and running Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning over the last 8 years. Unfortunately, as with all licensing deals they do eventually come to end and on December 18th, 2013 we will no longer be operating Warhammer Online. As such we will no longer be selling 3 month game time codes or have the ability to auto renew your accounts for 3 months as of September 18th, 2013. If you would like to read some additional thoughts from one of WAR’s Producer please check out http://www.warhammeronline.com/. From all of us here at Mythic we thank you again for your dedication and support over the last five years.

If you have any questions please feel free contact us via email at support@warhammeronline.com

Waaagh!

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Warhammer Online Ends in December Sep 19, 2013, 12:52 bobbyweenus

Bioware ran the game directly into the ground with their "I can't even pretend to care" attitude towards the game. I don't know why Bioware even picked it up, when every inch of their dedication was directed towards the overhyped and overrated SWTOR game.

That last ditch attempt at cash grab DLC that they pretended was new content towards the end there was an insult to their community.

Companies need to get real and understand that the second you stop developing content for an MMO game, you might as well shut it down on the spot. It is the death sentence of MMO's.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Warhammer Online Ends in December Sep 19, 2013, 12:37 Gas Bandit

I played this game for over a year, easily. At the time, it had issues and wasn't perfect but was by far the best PvP oriented MMO available. I definitely liked how I was able to level from 1 to max entirely through PvP gameplay, and there was a system in place that gave you just as good loot as you would have gotten grinding mobs.

Sadly, nothing lasts forever, and eventually they put in patches that ruined my enjoyment of the game and I had to quit. I especially hated the "Land of the dead" expansion because it added in tiers of gear that there was no PvP-dropped analogue for. Pretty much every patch after that made things worse.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2013, 12:44.

13. Re: Warhammer Online Ends in December Sep 19, 2013, 11:59 Necrophob

This game was fun. I liked the grittier feel of it, as opposed to WoW. My problem was that I didn't know anyone else who played it, and the Public Quest nature of it didn't really lead to very much partying and getting to know other players.  

12. Re: Warhammer Online Ends in December Sep 19, 2013, 10:35 Alamar

My first thought was... That's too bad, this was a fun one...

My second thought was... This is still going? : )

Seems contradictory though... They did a fine job with a lot of features, but they didn't go with the WoW design (which Blizzard obviously 'improved' upon as time passed), in that there was too much content (Mostly PQ's) that required the multiple people to complete, that just don't exist a few months after the game.

-Alamar

11. Re: Warhammer Online Ends in December Sep 19, 2013, 03:18 Teddy

MonkeySpank wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 23:12:
8 years? Que?

It's phrased a little oddly, but yes. 8 years CREATING and running the game. They're not claiming it's been out for 8 years, but that they've been working on it for 8 years.

10. Re: Warhammer Online Ends in December Sep 18, 2013, 23:39 shinchan0s

I didn't like how WHO handled the High Elves - they made them out to be tree-hugging pussies (who are just there to get slaughtered by Dark Elves) even though, lore-wise, they're total badasses. Also, the armor sets looked horrible (for White Lions anyway).

That being said, I enjoyed the game for 3 months I played it. I just think they worked too hard trying to please everybody. They should of just focused on RvR.

9. Re: Warhammer Online Ends in December Sep 18, 2013, 23:20 PropheT

Frijoles wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 22:42:
Can't believe it's been 8 years and that they held on for that long.

Probably can't believe it because it hasn't been. It came out in 2008.

atomicfro wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 22:08:
I really loved that game. First two months of release was the best open world role play pvp I've ever experienced. Unfortunately, no one resubbed and the game languished.

I loved it. Still do, honestly, but I think people have known it was going to die for a while now. Hell, I went back to try and play it again when I was really bored a couple of weeks ago and the link to the account sign in page on the launcher didn't work anymore to resub :p

I think I even posted that here a little while ago when I found out they stopped selling 6-month passes back in June.

8. Re: Warhammer Online Ends in December Sep 18, 2013, 23:18 Cutter

Another one of those 'coulda shouda wouldas'. I still admit they're greenskin campaign was awesome and so much fun. They just never had or delivered anything beyond it which was too bad. It's up there with Vanguard as one of those potential greats, but you can't play potential.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

7. Re: Warhammer Online Ends in December Sep 18, 2013, 23:12 MonkeySpank

8 years? Que?  

6. Re: Warhammer Online Ends in December Sep 18, 2013, 22:43 Ceribaen

I always enjoyed the free trial that they ran with it whenever I decided to pop back in... but felt that there was no reason to sub because once you got past the free cap, the general consensus was that the population died out.

I always felt that they needed to go the DDO route and allow you to purchase a way to take your free trial character past the level plateaus (or grind out an ingame method as an alternative). That likely would have brought in a lot more people to stick around.

5. Re: Warhammer Online Ends in December Sep 18, 2013, 22:42 Frijoles

Can't believe it's been 8 years and that they held on for that long. I thank them for bringing us Public Quests (I don't recall any before that). Wish the game had done better.  

4. Re: Warhammer Online Ends in December Sep 18, 2013, 22:33 Keith

This started off pretty strong but never got much better. Still, shame to see a MMO go down. Many people put a significant amount of time into them.  

3. Re: Warhammer Online Ends in December Sep 18, 2013, 22:16 MonkeySpank

Barnett played the perfect middle manager hyping up the product with an armada of specious superlative descriptors only to paint himself in a corner post release and then proceeding to blaming the engineers publicly on Youtube videos. How this man still has a job in the industry is a wonder to us all.

So long Warhammer! You won't be missed.

2. Re: Warhammer Online Ends in December Sep 18, 2013, 22:08 atomicfro

I really loved that game. First two months of release was the best open world role play pvp I've ever experienced. Unfortunately, no one resubbed and the game languished.  

1. Re: Warhammer Online Ends in December Sep 18, 2013, 21:34 Trashy

In other news there was a Warhammer MMO.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo