Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MechWarrior Online Launches

MechWarrior Online website announces the release of a new patch for MechWarrior Online coinciding with the mech combat game leaving beta and officially launching. Here's part of the announcement with patch highlights:

Wow It’s been a year since open beta and how time has flown! It has been a fun experience sharing this journey so far but we’re not done, in fact, the opposite is true!

There is plenty of work still on our plate and we are not going to stop till every feature is in your hands. With that said here are some of this patch’s highlights!

• The Orion is available for C-bills and has all of its patterns available to customize this amazing mech.
  • There is a new Applejack Custom Pattern you can equip on you ‘Mechs with some nice new Custom Colors as well.
  • All the Trials are Champions! Give them a try if you missed them the first time around! You have to buy them to get the XP boost though.
  • 3rd person is disabled in the 12 players pre-made group matches you lucky competitive Warriors.
  • Non 12 player Matchmaking is tightening its search parameters for Weight and ELO.
  • Weapon tuning and Bug fixes round out this patch.

Oh yeah and the Credits are up on the Website now with a link from the front end! Legendary Founders included!

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 19, 2013, 20:29 Taskeen

Basically the game boils down to 6 or 7 out of 10 for me. Can it be improved? Yes, but most players may realize the underlying issues or core mechanic problems once they get a hold of it. Another "but" is due the fact that certain core mechanics have Devs who are too emotionally attached to their choices of underlying mechanics which hurt the entirety of the game balance itself.

One issue players will notice right away is the heat system itself, which was done far better in Mechwarrior 3, 4, or LL. Players can easily see that stuff like single heatsinks, which weren't an issue in previous games, basically are worthless and must require upgrades.

Being an "mmo" with continual support the devs have an opportunity to fix mistakes, if they would stop being so proud of their invested mistakes.

If you look at reviews for MW3, 4, or LL to this day, or even people's opinions of those games these days, they are received pretty well. Far more than MWO.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 19, 2013, 09:16 The_Pink_Tiger

As I said, I went into MWO knowing it was an online game, despite my overall preference for for single-player. I was hardly expecting a full-fledged (or any) campaign; I knew what the game was about. However, if all you have are online games, then it's online games you play. But even with the best of intentions, MWO had little appeal to me. This was in direct comparison to MW:Living Legends which, although also an online-only game, was far more interesting.

And basically, if the majority of the game revolves around blowing up other players, even if there are nominal objectives, I call it deathmatch. And although I'm sure we could have fascinating arguments about semantics, nonetheless it essentially still is deathmatch, even if there are specific varieties now. Put in a co-op mode like Left4Dead and then I'll broaden my description of MWO or MW:LL but not before ;-)

25. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 19, 2013, 07:08 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 18:19:
Can you imagine a modern single player mech game with Oculus support? I'd wet myself.

I know it's all the rage, but can we stop hyping the Oculus before we actually get to try it's "final" version? Don't get me wrong, as soon as Reviews are in there is a 90% chance I am gonna get one (assuming the reviews are positive) but I can't possible imagine how the Oculus is going to fix poptarts and bad game design. Also the up and down of a mech without physical feedback on your seat is gonna make you sick ;p

So next technology: Affordable Force Feedback chairs. Also something the Oculus needs is a high end sound system for position audio. If nobody can see what we play, they should not hear it either.

But yes, a true Mechwarrior 5, story and immersion done the same way as Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor (Without the retarded kinect) and I'd be in heaven.

24. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 20:42 RaZ0r!

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 19:25:
Now admittedly, I am far (far, far, far, far, FAR*) more interested in a Mech game that has a competent single-player campaign than another iteration of deathmatch, but you know how it is; beggars can't be choosers, right? So I investigated MWO, hoping to find an easement to that chronic itch to ride a hundred-ton, laser-spewing bipedal battle-tank across interstellar battlefields.

Investing into a game that has ONLINE in the title when looking for a single player game is always going to be a bad call. Also, there is no real deathmatch in the game. The closest is Team Deathmatch, and the other modes are objectives based.

23. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 19:31 eRe4s3r

To this there is nothing to add, all points are correct (and all things match my own opinion)

Also worth a read is this
http://www.gamefront.com/mechwarrior-online-forum-ragesplosion/

22. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 19:25 The_Pink_Tiger

I am pretty much of the same opinion.

Now admittedly, I am far (far, far, far, far, FAR*) more interested in a Mech game that has a competent single-player campaign than another iteration of deathmatch, but you know how it is; beggars can't be choosers, right? So I investigated MWO, hoping to find an easement to that chronic itch to ride a hundred-ton, laser-spewing bipedal battle-tank across interstellar battlefields.

But what I found failed to impress me. It felt shallow and dull, with too many tacky attempts at monetization. I suppose for hard-core fans of mech deathmatch there is some appeal, but there was none for me. And judging by the news coming out of the project the past few months, I am not the only one to feel that way.

On the other hand, Mechwarrior Living Legends is looking very nice. Sure, it too is multiplayer deathmatch only but it has much more variety (mechs, tanks and elementals) and the play looks more inviting. It's still not the holy grail of mech-based gaming we have all been waiting, but it is much closer than the abomination MWO has become.

21. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 19:15 Overon

Endo wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 16:02:
JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 14:45:
I played the older MechWarrior games long ago, so was curious about this one. However, after watching numerous videos, it looks to be incredibly repetitive. Are you not just doing the same thing over and over again indefinitely?

Yes. And apparently with the changes made throughout the last few months, only sniping builds are viable now. So you're REALLY just doing the same thing over and over indefinitely.
Actually gauss and ppc builds WERE the only viable options as of 3 patches ago. Now the only viable builds are brawlers (that's close range fighting mechs). That's because of the changes they made to gauss and ppc.

I kind of feel bad for the devs sometimes. I remember when Mechwarrior Online was better called LRM Warrior Online because of all the long range missile spam. To counter that they introduced the ability for some mechs to carry ECM (electronic counter measures) that made it take longer for LRM mechs to lock on to the ECM mechs as well as other mechs in the circle of ECM influence. The ECM had to be weakened because it was too protective against LRM spam and against targeting in general.

Then everyone had guass or ppc sniper builds and they put them in JJ (jump jet) capable mechs which resulted in pop-tarting (jumping up from cover straight up and firing ppc's or gauss and falling behind cover giving your opponent little time to target you). That became all the rage so they nerfed that by introducing reticle shake when you JJed (which made it a lot harder to successfully target an enemy because your aiming reticule would shake wildly for most of the JJ time). Everyone realized that gauss and ppc boats were the shit everyone had a sniper build with these weapons.

For a long time people built mechs that was characterized as "boating" like in LRM boating or SSRM (short range missle) boating. All that meant was you filled your mech with a large number of the same weapon. For example the infamous 4 PPC's mechs. So to counter these "boat" builds, they introduced a new mecahnic called heat scale which was derogatorily called "ghost heat" Basically if you fired more than 2 weapons of within a short time frame, your mech generated extra heat. It wasn't linear. If you fired 3 Large Lasers it was not equivalent 3x the heat, it was 3x heat plus some factor which destroyed "boat" builds. Everyone stopped boating after that patch.

Then they increased the heat of the PPC's and required holding down fire button to charge up the gauss before firing. Which destroyed all the sniper builds and that's where we are now, every mech is a short range brawler. No more LRM boats, or gauss or sniper boats. It's lasers, autocannons, and short range missles ie brawling weapons. They have not yet reached that magical balance and after all this time and all the community suggestions to fix the weapon balance without introducing complicated new game mechanics like "ghost heat," many have low hopes they ever will.

20. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 18:27 Closed Betas

Played this game the past couple days, can see why all the negativity, which is wierd, there's not much in the game....

But the game does completely and utterly suck.

1. No competition.. whats the point of this game then? Jump around shoot and kill other mechs in a zerg fashion, rinse and repeat.. yeah thats worth pumping in $20 bills daily../sarcasm

2. Forget about people bitching about clans, there's no teamwork.. I said, what the fuck where's the strategy maps? And the in game community replied.. teamwork would destroy the game... I laughed, must be a suit meaning "teamwork" would destroy the kiddies who pump cash into this gayness to not pump cash in..

3. Yup, I definitely agree, they seemed to put bare minimum effort into a game, and definitely see tons of effort on the cash shop...

this is not Free To Play, no matter how many credits you rack up, no matter how much XP you score with the default mechs... You have to pay to unlock anything.. Thats not free to play.. thats nothing short of a trial/demo in live mode...

4. Many, err should I say MOST mechs devliery some really boring game play.

5. Maps and flag system are so basic, guess what happens.. all mechs go into a zerg liek in planetside 2... for the ultimtae stupid battle.. there's no skirmishes, or battles, serious fights that determine the outcome... very rare to see this.

6. The real problem, You can't choose your map... And maps matter in regards to what mech you choose... And check it out.. lets say I bought a light mech, and i got put into this moutainous map... I would get my ass kicked because I have no fueld to sky up and away and you get stuck hardcore on the mountains and you have no armor so you explode... But in a city map that is flat and has lots of cover and streets, you kick the shit out of the entire team as they can't line you up and you just fly around all crazy (this is where the only fun is at in the game btw )

SO what is going to happen is tthis.. those that pay will have 2-3 of same mech.. if they get the wrong map, they will exit and boot their other mech, rinse repeat, so they excel.. Stupid

19. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 18:19 jdreyer

Fletch wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 11:03:
Still waiting for a MW game with a single-player campaign, online multiplayer, LAN multiplayer, clans... you know, like back in the good ol' days. I'd easily pay $60 for that. Or more. So much great PC game IP being wasted by clueless developers.

This. But we can't have nice things because apparently all PC gamers are throat-slitting pirates that can only be offered server-based multiplayer-only pay-to-win games.

The first pedigreed team to Kickstart a singleplayer mech campaign clears $ five mil. C'mon people, make it happen.

Can you imagine a modern single player mech game with Oculus support? I'd wet myself.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

18. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 17:32 Cutter

Yeah, what a heartbreaker but we all pretty much knew that when they said "online". Games like this are meant to be standalone with an SP campaign and MP/Co-op.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 16:24 FloorPie

They need to make something like Battletech 3025 again. Pick a side to fight for and each battle has game world consequences. I think I played the beta for it for almost a year before they finally cancelled the game.  

16. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 16:20 Parias

Endo wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 16:02:
I played the older MechWarrior games long ago, so was curious about this one. However, after watching numerous videos, it looks to be incredibly repetitive. Are you not just doing the same thing over and over again indefinitely?

Yes. And apparently with the changes made throughout the last few months, only sniping builds are viable now. So you're REALLY just doing the same thing over and over indefinitely.

I don't know - I've had plenty of fun loading out a Spider with a flamer and TAG laser, dancing around blinding enemy pilots to disorient / piss them off like a jackass while streams of missiles keep flying into them.

15. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 16:06 Endo

Zarkonis wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 15:18:
As big of a BattleTech fan as I am, I won't touch this one until they put in a social environment, and add in PvE.

That will be the day after Blizzard re-releases vanilla WoW, and SOE re-releases SWG at the last patch pre-CU.

14. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 16:02 Endo

13. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 15:18 Zarkonis

As big of a BattleTech fan as I am, I won't touch this one until they put in a social environment, and add in PvE.  
Slow and steady might not win the race at first, until you shoot everyone ahead of you.

12. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 14:45 JohnBirshire

11. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 13:23 Endo

I started playing last fall (almost a year ago) and quit playing last winter when instead of fixing the massively broken ECM, they instead decided to put their energy into making the game P2W. What a joke this POS is. My only regret is that I ever gave them any money.  

10. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 12:41 Rhialto

edgar wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 12:21:
I started late in beta, have not paid anything to win, and still do just fine. They might not have delivered fully on the promise, but it's fun to play and feels like mech warrior to me.

Exactly, I also enjoy this game and the only money I have spent on it was [url=Sarah's Jenner]http://mwomercs.com/sarah[/url].

I'm tempted to buy some bays, in fact I'm just waiting for a sale on MC.

Also, this game is awesome in stereoscopic 3D and is a must try. It's a game where depth is important and the 3D truely deliver.

9. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 12:21 edgar

I started late in beta, have not paid anything to win, and still do just fine. They might not have delivered fully on the promise, but it's fun to play and feels like mech warrior to me.  

8. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 11:40 Rea1One

Hopefully Piranha Games can now finally start working on MechWarrior 5 or if they still have that legal issue at least work on some sort of singleplayer campaign game.  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo