Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors

UC Santa Cruz announces that John and Brenda Romero will run a new masters program in "games and playable media" (i.e., games and games?). Word is they are bringing both prior experience and industry friends to their curriculum:

Both John and Brenda Romero also have experience leading well-regarded game programs at other universities. Brenda Romero served as chair of the Savannah College of Art and Design's Interactive Design and Game Development department, while John Romero helped establish the Digital Games Guildhall program at Southern Methodist University.

As program director at UCSC, Brenda Romero oversees the curriculum and instructors, teaches and mentors students, and builds connections with companies in the computer game industry. The program's advisory board features leading game developers, including Will Wright (Stupid Fun Club), Harvey Smith (Arkane), Derek Yu (Spelunky), Robin Hunicke (Funomena), Ben Prunty (FTL), and Brian Schwab (Blizzard).

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 19, 2013, 12:54 nin

EricFate wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 22:25:
To be fair, they did ask American McGee first, but he turned them down when they refused his demand to rename the campus "American McGee's UC Santa Cruz".

I'm sure he's working on a KS for that right now.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 22:25 EricFate

To be fair, they did ask American McGee first, but he turned them down when they refused his demand to rename the campus "American McGee's UC Santa Cruz".  

22. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 17:35 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 14:10:
While I agree he's not my first choice by a long shot (I'd much rather attend a class held by Ken Levine, Greg Zeschuk, or even Chris Taylor. Actually, especially Chris.) people point out that iD hasn't been the same since Romero left.

If I could pick a mentor for game design I'd go with Tim Cain.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

21. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 17:34 Cutter

Julio wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 17:02:
BobBob wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 16:30:
From the article: Romero said. "In working with UCSC, my goal is to push students toward innovation while working on my own new indie projects alongside them."

Let's see if the student or teacher can get to the patent office first.

Hey if you can't sponge off the public in a Kickstarter, next best thing is free student labor

Now, now, free labour is such an ugly phrase. That's why they're called "internships".

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

20. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 17:17 deqer

Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 11:24:
How exactly are either of them qualified to teach a MASTERS program?
You didn't read the bright yellow text (at the top of this page) ? Okay.

19. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 17:02 Julio

BobBob wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 16:30:
From the article: Romero said. "In working with UCSC, my goal is to push students toward innovation while working on my own new indie projects alongside them."

Hey if you can't sponge off the public in a Kickstarter, next best thing is free student labor

18. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 16:30 BobBob

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2013, 16:41.

17. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 16:29 Darks

Sho wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 15:15:
I even kind of liked Daikatana, but I have a soft spot for games that are screwed up while doing interesting things (my favorite is Trespasser). What Daikatana tried to do with the AI companions was interesting. It was terribly executed, but it was an ambitious idea and interesting, and better implementations of the same idea have proven fun to play (cf. Alyx in Half-Life), so it was a valid direction to go in.

He failed, and he failed in ways that would have been avoidable with less hubris, but the ego also did make him focus on game design features rather than business plans. It's a better failure than making something calculated, bland and shitty.

Iím kind of like you, I didnít mind Daikatana at all, it was fun playing Coop. I think what really killed this game was the bold statement he made about making us his bitch. That really set people off and I personally think people were at that point just out to disprove him by calling the game crap. It was far from crap it had some enjoyable moments.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

16. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 15:39 Prez

Hopefully for the students who sign up for this programming is like riding a bike where once you've learned it you never forget it, because Romero hasn't done anything worth shit in a LONG time.  

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 15:15 Sho

I even kind of liked Daikatana, but I have a soft spot for games that are screwed up while doing interesting things (my favorite is Trespasser). What Daikatana tried to do with the AI companions was interesting. It was terribly executed, but it was an ambitious idea and interesting, and better implementations of the same idea have proven fun to play (cf. Alyx in Half-Life), so it was a valid direction to go in.

He failed, and he failed in ways that would have been avoidable with less hubris, but the ego also did make him focus on game design features rather than business plans. It's a better failure than making something calculated, bland and shitty.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2013, 15:20.

14. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 14:37 MajorD

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 14:10:
people point out that iD hasn't been the same since Romero left.

Yeah, it makes you wonder the quality of games & other game titles id Software would have made, and where the company would be today if John wasn't such a screw off and forced out of the company.

13. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 14:10 jdreyer

While I agree he's not my first choice by a long shot (I'd much rather attend a class held by Ken Levine, Greg Zeschuk, or even Chris Taylor. Actually, especially Chris.) people point out that iD hasn't been the same since Romero left.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

12. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 12:31 Domgrief

It amuses me to read John "to win the game, you must kill me" Romero and Southern Methodist University in the same sentence.  

11. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 12:19 Hyatus

"Alright. Your homework for the evening is to go outside and kill frogs. Lots of frogs. If you don't come back tomorrow looking like you shared the inside of a blender with Kermit, you will fail this course."  

10. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 11:47 Tanto Edge

Hi everybody, my name is Romero. John Romero.

Who threw that?

Okay, lesson one, sunlight. You do not need to spend tens of thousands on window shades. Tell your employees to bring their own umbrellas... or some shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

9. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 11:24 Creston

How exactly are either of them qualified to teach a MASTERS program?  

8. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 11:00 Necrophob

I mock the guy, but I wish he'd create a FPS again. At least it wouldn't be a Call of Duty clone.  

7. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 10:39 Darks

This is funny, John used to be married to some small European girl from Romania. Now heís married to Brenda? When did this happen?

Wasnít Brenda also working at Sir Tech long ago?

And wasnít she and John also a part of a failed Kickstarter attempt at making Wizardry again or something like that?

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2013, 10:49.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

6. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 10:21 Cutter

And Brenda is going to teach feminist hypocrisy in gaming today. It's ok to take money from people like Playboy so long as you say they're evil later on.

5. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 10:18 Verno

Learning how to bankrupt a company through mismanagement, inexperience and hubris needs a course now?  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo