Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year

Blizzard announces they are killing the auction houses in Diablo III as of March 18, 2014, saying: "We feel that this move along with the Loot 2.0 system being developed concurrently with Reaper of Souls™ will result in a much more rewarding game experience for our players." Here's word:

When we initially designed and implemented the auction houses, the driving goal was to provide a convenient and secure system for trades. But as we've mentioned on different occasions, it became increasingly clear that despite the benefits of the AH system and the fact that many players around the world use it, it ultimately undermines Diablo's core game play: kill monsters to get cool loot. With that in mind, we want to let everyone know that we've decided to remove the gold and real-money auction house system from Diablo III.

We feel that this move along with the Loot 2.0 system being developed concurrently with Reaper of Souls™ will result in a much more rewarding game experience for our players.

We're working out the details of how the auction house system will be shut down, but we wanted to share the news as soon as we made the decision in order to give everyone as much advance notice as possible. Please note that the shutdown will occur on March 18, 2014. We will keep everyone informed as we work through this process.

Josh Mosqueira and I wanted to provide everyone with a little more information behind this decision, so please have a look at the video, and stay tuned to this site for further updates in the months ahead.

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

96. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 19, 2013, 19:42 Dwarf-Snowninja

Well, move my interest on the expac from apathetic to mild interest. Now if they'll add randomly generated maps we'll be moving in the proper direction...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

95. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 19, 2013, 12:04 InBlack

Xero wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 09:02:
People saying the smartest move Blizz made since D3 launch. I can't deny, that might just be quantified when Blizz smiles after they made you buy the D3 expansion and say, we have made a game design decision to re-institute the RMAH, muwhahhahaha! Then Blizz can sing to the tune, ALL YOUR MONEY BELONG TO US!

And they would be right. Who but a moron would preorder any Blizzard game coming out ever again?

I have a nifty blue line!

94. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 19, 2013, 09:02 Xero

People saying the smartest move Blizz made since D3 launch. I can't deny, that might just be quantified when Blizz smiles after they made you buy the D3 expansion and say, we have made a game design decision to re-institute the RMAH, muwhahhahaha! Then Blizz can sing to the tune, ALL YOUR MONEY BELONG TO US!  

Currently playing: Skyrim

93. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 19, 2013, 08:57 Verno

Redmask wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 17:10:
implement more meaningful customization.

I'm not sure they could do that without a complete overhaul of skills and runes. Of course that might be whats required, the game is really lacking in meaningful, unique builds. There are many variations but most are meaningless variations on standard builds. I think their console SKU targeting in regards to number of skills and whatnot was pretty obvious in hindsight and hamstrung them a bit here.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

92. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 21:05 Undocumented Alien

No, I just called you a moron in a previous thread for calling me out in a thread I hadn't even posted in, when you suggested I'd have a problem with other games being online only.

Yes, the "pinnacle of maturity", I hurt your feelings (which I didn't even call you anything) so you start name calling... do you read your own shit dude?

I put you in my previous post because, in regards to D3 threads on blues you have been, and are, a "Dick". You harass anyone who mentions that there should be an offline mode in D3, even though Blizz has implemented it on Consoles and is now ditching the AH/RMAH, therefore showing YOU that YOU are wrong, and yet you come to this thread and still act like a "Dick".

If you don't want to be treated like a Dick, then don't be a Dick.

not playing a game out of spite because it's online only being moronic, when the same people use online only services and play many other online only games. Time to grow up a little and get over it.

You see, this above post is why people think you are a Dick. It's such a Dickhead thing to say. Because even now, Blizz is making the game OFFLINE to console users, showing that the game does NOT need to be online only. And what does it matter if someone does not wanty to play a SP game online? How does that affect you? It doesn't, does it? But here you are calling people moronic over it. And then you say, "Time to grow up". LoL... oh the irony.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2013, 21:13.

91. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 17:44 Redmask

Krovven wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 17:33:
No, I just called you a moron in a previous thread for calling me out in a thread I hadn't even posted in, when you suggested I'd have a problem with other games being online only. Which is just pure stupidity on your part, as I said, I have played online only games for 10+ years and I don't bitch about it.

If you really want to go back a year and a half on the topic, I may have said something along those lines, but it was probably closer to the idea of not playing a game out of spite because it's online only being moronic, when the same people use online only services and play many other online only games. Time to grow up a little and get over it.

It's really simple. If you are a dick to me, expect to be treated the same in return. Reality is, I have most of the dicks around here ignored so I don't need to read their crap.

No they're right, you're just kind of insufferable. If that gets me put on your big bad ignore list then so be it.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2013, 17:52.

90. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 17:33 Krovven

Undocumented Alien wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 15:56:
So which part of my post, or any post recently, was me being a dick to you (or anyone else)

Yeah, your a dick dude, no way around it.

Calling people "morons" for wanting what IS a SP OFFLINE game with optional COOP to actually have a SP OFFLINE mode? "Being a dick".

No, I just called you a moron in a previous thread for calling me out in a thread I hadn't even posted in, when you suggested I'd have a problem with other games being online only. Which is just pure stupidity on your part, as I said, I have played online only games for 10+ years and I don't bitch about it.

If you really want to go back a year and a half on the topic, I may have said something along those lines, but it was probably closer to the idea of not playing a game out of spite because it's online only being moronic, when the same people use online only services and play many other online only games. Time to grow up a little and get over it.

It's really simple. If you are a dick to me, expect to be treated the same in return. Reality is, I have most of the dicks around here ignored so I don't need to read their crap.

Someone going out of their way to be antagonistic towards me when nothing I said warranted it, is pure immaturity, aka: Troll.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2013, 17:40.

89. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 17:10 Redmask

Verno wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 15:59:
Personally I think the best way to replace the AH is to implement some sort of bazaar-like functionality, maybe have it per lobby or something. People obviously are going to trade and a method that lets them do it while offline is preferable. It's one of the biggest annoyances with the trading system in POE.

This really drives me nuts in Path of Exile, I will finally locate the item I want from a trader and then he goes offline right when I'm about to chat him. I would rather put up with that than have an auction house though, they kill the metagame. I do like their trading system other than that, making the player mouse over every item before a trade completes is a smart idea.

Auction houses don't belong in Diablo games. Now they need to fix the primary stat loot system and implement more meaningful customization. They have their work cut out for them but most people have a soft spot in their heart for Blizzard and will give them a second chance if they get it right.

88. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 16:15 Undocumented Alien

Personally I think the best way to replace the AH is to implement some sort of bazaar-like functionality, maybe have it per lobby or something.

Not saying that Marvel Heroes is a great game, but, it at least has "common" areas where you can interact (and coop) with ~30 other people "on the fly".

I'm a bit surprised that D3 didn't have common areas where 30-50 heroes could cooperate together against bosses (dynamic events) and misc mobs, that at least could nave been a better requirement for online DRM. It could also serve as a meeting/trading place.

87. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 15:59 Verno

Undocumented Alien wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 15:56:
Calling people "morons" for wanting what IS a SP OFFLINE game with optional COOP to actually have a SP OFFLINE mode? "Being a dick".

That actually brings up an interesting point. Now that the consoles have an offline mode and the AH is gone, could we see an offline mode for the PC? I don't see any reason not to have one at this point. They can implement a secure player to player trading mechanism for online, POE has one for example and even D2 did.

Personally I think the best way to replace the AH is to implement some sort of bazaar-like functionality, maybe have it per lobby or something. People obviously are going to trade and a method that lets them do it while offline is preferable. It's one of the biggest annoyances with the trading system in POE.

86. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 15:56 Undocumented Alien

So which part of my post, or any post recently, was me being a dick to you (or anyone else)

Yeah, your a dick dude, no way around it.

85. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 15:42 Verno

Krovven wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 15:33:
bunch of silly personal insults

You should really know better than that by now. I don't care what you call me, you can't bully me with your internet tough talk. I also don't care if you have me on ignore or not, it won't stop me from responding to your posts as I see fit

As for the genesis of my post, knowing the context and history of most of the D3 discussions here, I found your mixed feelings post amusing because you were so hostile to other forum posters during people discussing the AH and D3 in general. Many of those people should feel pretty vindicated IMO.

84. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 15:33 Krovven

Verno wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 15:22:
What's your problem Verno? Or could you just not help but be a dick today?

You seem to enjoy it every day soooo

So which part of my post, or any post recently, was me being a dick to you (or anyone else) that caused you to make antagonizing posts like the one you just made? I hardly post any more, because of childish retorts like yours from people that think they know what they are talking about.

I had actually taken you off ignore, as you hadn't been a fucking loser as of late and had stopped attacking my posts (when they had nothing to do with you). But clearly you couldn't refrain from acting like a little bitch for long.

83. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 15:27 Undocumented Alien

As opposed to you being one everyday? Poor Krovven crying yet again...

82. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 15:22 Verno

You seem to enjoy it every day soooo... Sorry you lobbed it slow and high

Since you asked though, no problems here. I've been quite enjoying seeing the things some people fervently defended and insulted others about get reverted one by one. Quite satisfying!

As for the AH sure I used it to sell items, so what? I was never really against the auction house like it's a political ideology or something, just felt it was out of place in an ARPG. They finally realized that it ruins a major reason to play the games in the first place and are getting rid of it. Kudos to them for making a tough call but really this whole situation could have been avoided by listening to feedback and having a lengthier, more meaningful beta period instead of adding controversial features like the AH after the fact.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2013, 15:33.

81. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 15:06 Krovven

Verno wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 09:12:
Krovven wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 17:07:
I have mixed feelings on this.

Hahahaha yeah I bet you do Guitarist

I seem to recall that you openly bragged about using the RMAH to make more than enough money after launch to pay for the game. Yet here you are running your mouth.

I sold a few things on the RMAH near launch, spent that money I made, rather than cash out and haven't used it since. It was pointless, to me. I do still use the AH and will continue to do so until it closes. I've barely played the game in months, but I still log in every 1 to 3 days to collect gold and post gear for sale.

Back in May I looted a Skorn weapon that I sold for 1.275 billion gold, which I would never have been able to do without the GAH and would have never used it myself. With the implementation of Account Bound items after Enchanting (I believe that's how it's going to work), getting rid of the GAH seems pointless. As I already said, they will need to implement "something" if they intend to get rid of the AH altogether.

80. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 14:58 Verno

LibertyOrDeath wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 23:24:
lol Funny, a lot of the stuff you guys are still complaining about is already scheduled to be added. For example, they are bringing back stat points. I should have known better to come to Bluesnews and expect people to actual give any credit to a developer. Wow, I would hate to be some of you people; you must have a horrible outlook on life.

The easy counter-argument to that is they don't get a lot of special credit for reverting some seriously bad decisions that people warned them were dumb ahead of time. I'm pretty forgiving and as long as the next game is solid then who cares but some people aren't, *shrug*. We don't appreciate your negativity about this website BTW, you must have a horrible outlook on life

79. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 14:00 shinchan0s

LibertyOrDeath wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 23:24:
lol Funny, a lot of the stuff you guys are still complaining about is already scheduled to be added. For example, they are bringing back stat points. I should have known better to come to Bluesnews and expect people to actual give any credit to a developer. Wow, I would hate to be some of you people; you must have a horrible outlook on life.

How does it feel having Blizzard's dick up your ass?

Anyway, removing the AH won't materially change anything because D3 is still fundamentally a bad game. Bring back randomized maps, skill trees, differentiated weapons (you know, rather than just DPS placeholders), and some decent writers and then I'll consider maybe looking at buying the game when it's on sale.

78. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 10:42 Fletch

GL1zdA wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 07:21:
Obviously finding "cool shit" is what's fun in Diablo, but not in the current version. In D2 I could find all good items required to play "players 8" in finite time. In D3 it's impossible. I hope with Loot 2.0 they will correct this, it's for sure better than buying items in the AH.

Admittedly, all I "know" about D3 is what I've read or watched on YT. I've never played it, and I never will, so I'm unfamiliar with the trading system in D3. I guess I throw everything D3-related into either "Fucking RMAH" or "Consolitus Bullshit" categories. I'm bitter like that.

I do, however, understand the massive shit loot drops issue (definitely a "Fucking RMAH"-category dealie). I don't appreciate being treated like an open wallet by developers who artificially control drop rates for valuable/powerful items to "encourage" participation in the AH. My D2 didn't have/need an economy. Getting good drops during boss runs was a blast in D2. Having to trade for items just to finish the game or be competitive forces me into an online component that would be completely unnecessary if the drops were more D2-like, and would just piss me off.

Anyhoo, they lost me 2-3 years ago when they stated that health potions would be walk-over power-ups. I'm a PC gamer militant enthusiast, and them's console doin's.

77. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 09:54 InBlack

GL1zdA wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 07:21:
Fletch wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 04:28:
GL1zdA wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 03:03:
I have no problem with closing the auction houses, I just hope they redesign the game in a way, that won't require me (and saying "you don't have to if you don't want" is not enough) to use 3rd party trading sites - the security and ease of use of the AHs was what I liked about them.

Won't "require" you to use 3rd-party sites? I'll never understand the P2W drive some people have for video games. What other games force you to use 3rd-party sites? I played both Diablo II single-player and multi-player online with friends extensively and the concept never even entered our collective conscience. I just don't get it. If the game is designed properly, the FUN of the game is finding cool shit. I've hacked my single-player games before, and it very quickly becomes boring. Is it a status thing? Pissing contest? I don't get it. Or maybe I misunderstand what you mean by trading site.

It doesn't have to be P2W (I never payed for in-game items), a simple swap would require now a service to find interested parties. Trading in D2 was a waste of time, I liked how fast, convenient and secure it was in D3.

Obviously finding "cool shit" is what's fun in Diablo, but not in the current version. In D2 I could find all good items required to play "players 8" in finite time. In D3 it's impossible. I hope with Loot 2.0 they will correct this, it's for sure better than buying items in the AH.

Well said. Which is why removing the AH will do nothing to alleviate this particular underlying problem. If anything it will make it worse. There are worse things in Diablo3 then the AH, and no Im not talking about the demons and monsters...

I have a nifty blue line!

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo