Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed

EA sends along an official clarification about the details recently offered about the launch of beta testing of Battlefield 4 next month. The open beta was announced to launch on October 1st, but as we mentioned, a previous announcement said preorder customers will get three days of early access. Sure enough, according to our new announcement beta access on the first will be restricted to preorder and special edition customers, and access for all begins on October 4th. There are complete details in a new Battlefield 4 Beta FAQ and here's the outline, followed by a new this is Battlefield 4 trailer showing off multiplayer action in the military shooter sequel:

The Battlefield 4 Beta is coming soon. You’ll be able to play the Siege of Shanghai map in Conquest Mode or Domination Mode.

We’ve introduced a lot of new and exciting elements into Battlefield 4, like Levolution, Amphibious Assault, and much more. We can’t wait for everyone to try them out in the Beta!

Looking to get into the Beta? Here’s how:

How to Join: Join the Beta on:
Pre-order the Battlefield 4 Digital Deluxe Edition October 1*
Battlefield 3 Premium member October 1*
Registered owner of Medal of Honor Warfighter Limited Edition or Digital Deluxe Edition October 1*
Open to all Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC players. Download from Xbox Live, PSN and Origin.com. October 4*

* Date subject to change.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Battlefield 4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 18, 2013, 13:07 Verno

I eventually setup my own server since you saw them frequently enough on pubs that it became annoying.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 20:12 Julio

Slick wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 14:25:
I've seen 3 hackers and i've been playing since launch, about 600 hours. Someone 1-shotting you from across the map with an ammo box is a bit of a giveaway. But anything else is legit.

You must be playing on very different servers than the ones I did.

Hacking was everywhere in BF3 to the point they might as well put aimbot into the game. But I must suck when I'm instakilled by someone on the other side of the map without a sniper rifle. I'm sure their 120-0 kill count is fully legit.

I'm not interested in BF3.1 until hackers are dealt with effectively. Might even be better off with BF3 as the hackers move to BF3.1 instead.

40. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 19:37 DangerDog

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 12:41:
siapnar wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 12:37:
Keep dreaming dude. The days of AAA game publishers allowing map editors to be including with their products are over

Agreed. Publishers remain fiercely defensive of their DLC content sales despite the numerous examples of freely available content enhancing post-launch revenue. I was hoping the Far Cry 3 MP would catch on since they actually included one but sadly it was a dud with players. I doubt we will ever see a map editor in a BF game again, if that is the sole concern then might as well write off the entire franchise now. Just like CoD they will pare down features to the bare minimum so that it can repackaged every year or two.

Far Cry failed mostly because of no dedicated servers and no host migration.

I can think of one legit reason they won't release a map editor, they don't want people making maps that would shed a negative light on the game (no columbine, boston marathon, denver theater maps).

I suppose if you could open the maps in the editor it would be even easier to find exploits and glitches to exploit and areas to glitch into.

They're not going to release any public server files, mod tools etc. but if that's enough for you to boycott the game then keep fighting the good fight.

39. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 19:12 ChaosEngine

Slick wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 13:49:
what exactly is this game doing wrong? no map editor, ie no server files, ie not giving all the core data of the engine away to all the hackers in the world? riiiiight, how terrible of them. boooo.

Please explain exactly how you think a map editor will lead to hacking.

38. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 18:58 DangerDog

This is going to be on the AMD/ATI free game golden ticket, announcement will come on the 25th when they show off the new graphic cards due to be released in October.

37. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 18:40 Closed Betas

No one caught the obvious marketing of beta (again) selling of 3 days early access here?

its not a beta, just because its 3 days earler... quit supporting these asshat suits pulling this shit, and the servers wont be working, you heard it here first.

36. removed Sep 17, 2013, 18:34 RollinThundr

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 18, 2013, 08:47.

35. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 17:31 Agent.X7

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 14:21:
Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 14:08:
siapnar wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 14:04:
Although BF4 is highly derivative of BF3, look at it this way:

If BF4 was a giant DLC package for BF3, how much would it cost? I'd say with the amount of content they're providing it would be pretty close to retail.
The downside with it coming out as the next iteration is that you can't play it in conjunction with the BF3 maps to add variety.

For me it depends on the quality of the maps, that's why I'm just going to wait and see. BF3 had some really bad ones in the default pack and I felt like the game only really came into its own with the B2K and AK stuff.

Well, hopefully the netcode is better this time around, but even if it's not I'm most likely going to get BF4. BF3 is simply too much fun, and most of the little changes in BF4 look great.

Also, Caspian Border is one of the greatest maps in any game, ever, imo. Default BF3 map. Of course metro is one of the worst maps ever, so it evens out.

Metro is awesome if played on Rush with no more than 32 players. Unfortunately, a lot of servers thought it would be a fun 64 player CQ map, which it is not. It wasn't designed for that.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

34. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 15:28 Verno

"Hacks" are all client-side, aren't they? They rarely have anything to do with the server. 99% of all cheats involve either showing you more data that is already being sent to you by the MP server (think wall hacks), or manipulating the data you are sending to the server (think aim-bots).

Yep, most of the BF3 multihacks were possible because of netcode design flaws that were discovered without server binaries. Having access to the client and analyzing the traffic is enough. Releasing a server executable or not has little impact on that. The dedicated server files aren't released for different reasons.

Anyways I'd like to see a map editor and dedicated server binaries for this at some point but it isn't a make it or break it for me. I can see why it bugs other people though. The map design and balance is what I'm more interested in checking out.

33. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 15:22 Jivaro

descender wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 15:18:
"Hacks" are all client-side, aren't they? They rarely have anything to do with the server. 99% of all cheats involve either showing you more data that is already being sent to you by the MP server (think wall hacks), or manipulating the data you are sending to the server (think aim-bots).

Largely, yes.

32. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 15:18 descender

31. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 15:05 Slick

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 14:45:
Releasing the dedicated server executables has little effect on the availability of hacks.

Ok guy, GG, you win. Releasing the server and engine files to the public has no effect on hacks.

LOL

30. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 14:51 BobBob

nin wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 09:31:
Tables?!

You beat me to it.

29. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 14:45 Verno

Slick wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 14:25:
Name one AAA MP FPS in the last 20 years which didn't have hackers, name one and i'll eat my shoe.

Most FPS games in the past 20 years had user controllable dedicated servers too since you're so concerned with history. Nice try to shift the goalposts but you were the one who made the comment that not giving out the server executable has anything to do with preventing hackers (it doesn't). Yes BF3 had hackers, there were numerous multihacks available for it. Releasing the dedicated server executables has little effect on the availability of hacks. Some people like to run their own server instead of renting one from a GSP, I don't see why that's so difficult to understand.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2013, 14:59.

28. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 14:25 Slick

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 13:51:
ie not giving all the core data of the engine away to all the hackers in the world?

That helped so much in BF3 after all Rolleyes

Name one AAA MP FPS in the last 20 years which didn't have hackers, name one and i'll eat my shoe. Did you play BF3? I've seen 3 hackers and i've been playing since launch, about 600 hours. Someone 1-shotting you from across the map with an ammo box is a bit of a giveaway. But anything else is legit. People forget about spotting, about mini-maps, about well lots of things when they get pwned and scream "no wayyyyy". I get called a hacker all the time, doesn't mean i'm hacking, just means people are terrible.

I went 20-0 to open this round up here:

http://www.twitch.tv/boomyak/c/2818858

and i was being called a hack left right and center, it's just gamer culture, i wouldn't worry too much about it. The fact that they never released the server files and we didn't have rampant hacking like in BF2 was GREAT for gamers, even though it took away custom map building and server hosting. Tough love, but in our best interest.

as hilarious as cartillery was, i'm glad we've progressed since then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvurNQqMlqA

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2013, 14:35.

27. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 14:21 MoreLuckThanSkill

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 14:08:

If BF4 was a giant DLC package for BF3, how much would it cost? I'd say with the amount of content they're providing it would be pretty close to retail.
The downside with it coming out as the next iteration is that you can't play it in conjunction with the BF3 maps to add variety.

For me it depends on the quality of the maps, that's why I'm just going to wait and see. BF3 had some really bad ones in the default pack and I felt like the game only really came into its own with the B2K and AK stuff.

Well, hopefully the netcode is better this time around, but even if it's not I'm most likely going to get BF4. BF3 is simply too much fun, and most of the little changes in BF4 look great.

Also, Caspian Border is one of the greatest maps in any game, ever, imo. Default BF3 map. Of course metro is one of the worst maps ever, so it evens out.

26. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 14:08 Verno

25. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 14:04 siapnar

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 13:51:
The return of Commander Mode is welcome but the game itself seems very derivative. Definitely a wait for reviews thing, the quality of the content should be what matters here, not the quality of the marketing.

I have projectile dysfunction.

24. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 13:51 Verno

ie not giving all the core data of the engine away to all the hackers in the world?

That helped so much in BF3 after all Rolleyes

The return of Commander Mode is welcome but the game itself seems very derivative. Definitely a wait for reviews thing, the quality of the content should be what matters here, not the quality of the marketing.

23. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 13:49 Slick

if you're looking at everything BF4 offers as a FPS title and are still turning your nose up at it, there's no helping you.

what exactly is this game doing wrong? no map editor, ie no server files, ie not giving all the core data of the engine away to all the hackers in the world? riiiiight, how terrible of them. boooo.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo