Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well, today is GTA5 release day, and I actually have a copy preordered myself, so that should show up at some point. I say "actually" because I'm predominately a PC gamer (I probably didn't need to explain that here), and this is maybe the fifth release-date game I've ever gotten for a console, with the previous honorees being Rock Band games and GTA4. If you are picking it up yourself, here's a reminder that Bats has started a Blue's News Rockstar Games Social Club if you want to be a friend of ours.

Release Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Enhanced.
Legacy Tales - Mercy of the Gallows.
Stories: "The Walking Dead" Spin-Off On The Way.
Science: Delicate oxidation can transform greenhouse gas into useful chemicals.
Media: GTA V EPIC RAP. Thanks nin.
Marty McFly Screaming. NSFW.
NMA: Grand Theft Auto V: Hookers, violence, drug use and ... necrophilia?

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2013, 19:28 nin

I'm willing to bet they both run at 720. You can set the 360 to 1080, but it drops the rez to whatever the game is coded for.

I have my ps3 set to 1080, but it drops to 720 as soon as 5 (and most games) starts.

edit: good explanation here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/634491-grand-theft-auto-v/67209212

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2013, 19:42.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2013, 18:04 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 14:47:
Mine were showing last night, but that was the only time I've even been able to connect. Most other times it just times out.

It is getting HAMMERED. I have about 5-6 pictures posted in there, but all last night (midnight to 6am) I couldn't post anything, and it would sometimes lock up my game (x360).

For those playing on the ps3....I have both ps3 and xbox360 hooked up at same time doing some comparisons with the INPUT button on tv.....xbox is in 1080, but ps3 is in 720....I can't seem to get it to go to 1080.....am I missing something?

20 hours - still wanting to play more.

/You don't realize how truly MASSIVE the game world is, I mean, you kinda do, but then something happens and you get busy playing, but grab a boat and drive the whole way around the game world 50 feet away from the shore....IT TAKES A LONG TIME!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

55. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2013, 14:47 Creston

Mine were showing last night, but that was the only time I've even been able to connect. Most other times it just times out.

54. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2013, 13:28 nin

Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 13:19:
nin wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 12:50:
with the equivalent of wildly blind-firing (why isn't there a targeting reticle, like in 4?),

Oh, there is! It's just so faint that you can't see it against the rapidly moving background...

Btw, ran into some pretty heavy texture issues this morning. Roads, houses etc weren't being textured. I was going full speed in an Aston Martin at the time, so I just stopped and waited for it to catch up, but the game is definitely pushing every single last shred of power the PS3 can give.

I could see the dot, but not the circle around it...and yeah, it was very hard to see, esp when I'm also supposed to be keeping the car on the road, avoiding that semi, etc...

Anyone else having issues with achievements not showing up in the social club. I hate to bitch, as it's only day 2, but if the whole point of social club is to track data, and it's not doing so...

53. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2013, 13:19 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 12:50:
with the equivalent of wildly blind-firing (why isn't there a targeting reticle, like in 4?),

Oh, there is! It's just so faint that you can't see it against the rapidly moving background...

Btw, ran into some pretty heavy texture issues this morning. Roads, houses etc weren't being textured. I was going full speed in an Aston Martin at the time, so I just stopped and waited for it to catch up, but the game is definitely pushing every single last shred of power the PS3 can give.

52. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2013, 13:18 Creston

El Pit wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 13:14:
Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 11:41:
El Pit wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 04:21:
nin wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 02:42:
El Pit wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 02:32:
Okay, I've joined the group (PitUndertaker).
But I won't buy GTA V, because I'd have to buy a console, too.
I might install GTA IV, though.

Hopefully it'll be on pc by next summer.

Then I'll be all over it up until the flight missions (or in other words, the point where the game tells you: you MUST use a console controller).

? I gold starred all flight challenges in San Andreas with m/kb?

Congrats, Creston. I can't fly through two rings in the first flying mission with kb/m. But San Andreas won't allow me to use a flight stick, so it's either stop playing at this point or trying to use a console controller (which I can't use - I'm incompatible).

I may have some saves made after the flight school missions at home. I'll check.

51. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2013, 13:14 El Pit

Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 11:41:

Then I'll be all over it up until the flight missions (or in other words, the point where the game tells you: you MUST use a console controller).

Congrats, Creston. I can't fly through two rings in the first flying mission with kb/m. But San Andreas won't allow me to use a flight stick, so it's either stop playing at this point or trying to use a console controller (which I can't use - I'm incompatible).

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

50. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2013, 12:50 nin

Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 11:33:
nin wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 02:15:
Trying to shoot bad guys who are wrestling with franklin, while I'm driving and trying to stay on the road was just flat-out fucking impossible.

I had this problem also. It only donned on me afterwards that I should have used Michael's special, since I think it would have helped with the shooting.

I tried that. Either his special doesn't work in the car, or I hadn't unlocked it yet at that point, because nothing happened. :\

Ah, maybe it doesn't work in cars. Like you, I had some difficulty with it, and was surprised it was introduced so early in the game. On the second try, with the equivalent of wildly blind-firing (why isn't there a targeting reticle, like in 4?), the game finally gave me credit. I hope it's not something we're expected to do a ton of.

49. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2013, 11:41 Creston

48. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2013, 11:33 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 02:15:
Trying to shoot bad guys who are wrestling with franklin, while I'm driving and trying to stay on the road was just flat-out fucking impossible.

I had this problem also. It only donned on me afterwards that I should have used Michael's special, since I think it would have helped with the shooting.

I tried that. Either his special doesn't work in the car, or I hadn't unlocked it yet at that point, because nothing happened. :\

Around the time I get to the west side of the island, I spot a convenience store, off the highway, on a side road. It's time to be bad. I hit the side road, and park outside the store's door, in launch position. Kenny Loggin's "I'm free" is playing on the radio - I take this as a sign.

I robbed the same guy!

47. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2013, 04:31 xXBatmanXx

My trip is complete, but I still have so much more to explore.

heheheh good times. Having a blast, after about 12 hours I have unlocked everyone and the game is really opening up. Wow....I still have a ton of fog of war to cover....flying around....oooo whats that!? Ooooo look at that! oooo I have to come back to that!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

46. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2013, 04:21 El Pit

45. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2013, 02:42 nin

44. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2013, 02:32 El Pit

43. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2013, 02:15 nin

Story time:

Decided to take a tour of the island and see exactly how big the world was. I know there's been some discussion as to it's size, and after my counter clockwise run, in my opinion, it's fucking huge.

Playing as Franklin (in case I needed car superpowers), I leave my home I'm sharing with my bitchy aunt and hop in the car. First, I need something fast. Something I can haul ass with on the highways and get some decent speed, while enjoying the view. I decide to head towards Michael's house, since he's in a nice part of town, and worse comes to worse, his wife's car was halfway decent.

About three quarters of the way there, I spot a black Bullet, identical to the one I'd parked in Franklin's garage earlier, only to find it gone. He's stopped at a light, making the carjacking easy, as he puts up no resistance and runs away.

I then set the GPS towards what I hope is the south-most part of the island (under fog, as I've not been there). I pass under several freeways, but end up at the docks. Not exactly exciting.

I zoom all the way in, and set the GPS for one lane of the highway, and it smartly shows me exactly how to get there (and not under the highway, like I feared it would).

Finally, I'm on the highway, opening up the Bullet, flying past traffic. No sign of slowdown, and a great sense of speed. A couple more right turns, and I eventually stumble across the highway that runs north, along the east coast. I open the throttle again, and take off, as the sun sets and headlights turn on. At one point, I get to a bridge that's one lane in each direction, and the guy in front of me is clearly doing the speed limit, and I almost hit him. Just to see what would happen, I hit the horn a few times. As we pass the bridge and the road opens to two lanes again, I pass him, and he screams obscenities at me out his window.

A few miles on, I pull over to admire the water to the east. I contemplate trying to take the car closer to the water (by basically offroading), but based on the angle, I fear I might not get it back up the hill. I'm also careful as I look around, fearful a mountain lion might eat me at any moment. Not wanting to spoil my journey, I hop back in the car and resume going north.

Cruising north, I come across several restaurants, but I sadly can't enter any of them. One in particular catches my eye, a sort of seafood place (I believe there was a blue fish on their sign). I do a left across traffic, get out of the car, and walk up to the door, only to find it doesn't budge. Damn.

Walking back to the car I hear/see a police chase go by on the 4 lane highway. I'd heard these were in game, but had only seen a couple, so far. I don't think much about it, until I start hearing the "pop! pop! pop!" sounds that I realize is gunfire. Curious, I walk to the highway's edge, and see the shooting unfolding. One of the perps is wounded and falls (still shooting), and I decide to see if he'll drop anything (cash, maybe???).

I start across the 4 lane highway and quickly realize this was a mistake, as cars are going full speed, both directions. Several times I'm almost hit, but I manage to dodge them at the last second. I get across the road to discover all the perps have dropped are guns, and the cops are shouting about rednecks. Another siren approaches, and I look to see an ambulance.

I carefully weave my way back across the road, to my car, and resume going north/NW. Bob Seger's "Hollywood Nights" is on the radio, and I smirk, as it seems rather appropriate for the game.

Around the time I get to the west side of the island, I spot a convenience store, off the highway, on a side road. It's time to be bad. I hit the side road, and park outside the store's door, in launch position. Kenny Loggin's "I'm free" is playing on the radio - I take this as a sign.

I walk into the store, approach the register, and point my pistol at the clerk. He begins to get money out of the register, while I stare at the nudie magazine covers behind the counter. He's taking forever. Almost like he's stalling. If I shoot him, can I get the cash myself? I'm not sure, and I'd hate to ruin things now. Still counting cash. Now I realize why R* allows you to shout into your mic to make them go faster! Finally he hands over a bag, with $800 or so, and I run out the door. No sirens, the coast is clear.

Until I get next to my car door...here comes two cops along my planned exit route, and one behind me. Shit. I hop in the car and floor it, passing the first cop with no issues - I almost think that maybe he didn't recognize I was the robber. But the second cop knows whats up, and tries to (unsuccessfully) block me. I fly past him and back onto the highway.

I gun the car going south, cops in pursuit. I hear them radio that the perp is on the highway and request backup. Shit again! I'm going close to top speed as I approach tunnels, and the cops aren't letting up. Weaving in and out of traffic, I finally manage to get enough distance that I can take an exit w/o being spotted, hang a right at the top of the hill, and I'm back in the city. Dodging the cops on the GPS, I'm almost home free...until one appears in front of me, heading my direction. I throw the car into reverse and somehow manage to stay just barely outside his cone, as my stars finally drop off.

I cruise to my garage, and park the Bullet inside - hopefully it will save there. I then walk to another convenience store, and seriously consider robbing him also, but ultimately decide I'm pressing my luck at this point and just steal a 4x4 for the drive home.

I get home, walk in the door, and my aunt informs me she's having yet another gentleman caller coming over soon - I check my phone and it's 5:30 in the morning. Is my aunt a prostitute? That would explain a lot, actually. I walk into my room, wondering yet again why I can't close the damn door, and flop onto my bed, to save my game. My trip is complete, but I still have so much more to explore.

42. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2013, 00:54 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 18:39:
BREAKING: BLIMP CRASHES INTO VINEWOOD SIGN ABOVE TOWN: ONE CASUALTY.

Who was the casualty? You?

I'm of two minds on GTA5 so far. The world is amazing. The detail in everything is absolutely incredible, it's filled with stuff and you can just gawk at areas for hours on end. Vinewood actually looks like a beautiful part of town now, rather than "the same kind of town except the houses are a little bigger." Michael actually has a fantastic home, and just exploring it was awesome.

Spent some time driving around the map, and it is HUGE. The small towns are also fun and have a good "feel" to them. Big downside I've seen so far to the countryside, though, is that the police don't appear to chase you off-road... Several times I've gotten away from two stars just by driving up the mountainside (which is ridiculous anyway. An Audi R8 doesn't drive 60mph up the side of a mountain, Rockstar...)

Shooting is excellent. Smooth feel, and it has several modes you can play around with. I'm currently using the RDR setup which works great, but even in free aim it's a cinch to hit bad guys. I was chasing some dipshit who had stolen a bag, and tagged him several times with a handgun with free aim at 200+ yards. (though weirdly the fucker kept running.)

Only bit of downside to that is that the "drive and shoot" system seems to have gotten worse. Trying to shoot bad guys who are wrestling with franklin, while I'm driving and trying to stay on the road was just flat-out fucking impossible.

The game runs smooth, has a great draw distance, and I know especially Beamer will be relieved that the wardrobe functionality now basically takes 0.5 seconds to load, as opposed to the 5 seconds for every single outfit change that it did in SA.

I also enjoyed recognizing intersections and specific parts of road from San Andreas. Feels like coming back to an old haunt.

Now for the bad parts:

1) The driving has gotten sharper, yes (in that you only need to move the stick a tiny bit to get the car to react), and like Bats said, cars have mass to them when crashing. You also get a lot more damage, and this hinders driving quite a bit based on the type of damage. Bust a wheel, and your car won't drive for shit.

Sadly, however, this mass doesn't translate to the actual driving part, and for whatever weird-ass reason, Rockstar has decided to go back to the "one center point that the car body pivots around" way of simulating "driving" that most other open world games do. Everything just floats over the road through corners, try to do a powerslide and you shoot off in the opposite direction as if you were launched from a fucking cannon, and there is little to no momentum if you do the old left, right, left, right rapid-steering bit. Compared to GTA4, I see it as a huge step back. I'm not asking for ultimate realism here, but why can't the driving in these games feel like Grid 2, for example. Which is arcadey, but at least has some decent feel to it.

Sucks, but oh well. The damage modeling makes up for a lot of it, and strangely enough, bikes feel better.

2) They seem to have toned down the Euphoria engine a bit. No idea why. It was hilarious in GTA4.

3) Franklin, so far, leaves me cold. He just strikes me as a moron version of CJ, but at least when CJ set out to do shit, he succeeded. Franklin keeps following his buddy Lamar from one dumb-ass scheme to another, never has anything to show for it, and it makes me want to scream at him that he's a fucking toolbag and to tell Lamar to get fucking STUFFED.

Michael, on the flipside, is fantastic. I can totally relate to him for some reason. I haven't found Trevor yet.

(Btw, the fact that so many people have different favorite characters shows they're all well written. Some people love Trevor, others love Franklin, others love Michael.)

And I don't know if it's just at the start, but I've played about 7 missions, and in 4 of them I had to chase shit in a car that was wildly unsuitable for the chase at hand. Ugh.

4) Got slammed into by a hippie in a fucking RV, which flipped my truck on its side in a vinewood driveway. Couldn't move, nothing. So I exit the truck, and the game tells me "get back in the truck." Except I can't, because it's on its side, and I can't get the driver door open to get back in (and even if, I couldn't have flipped it back anyway.)

And you don't seem to be able to restart a checkpoint unless you actually FAIL it. So I was, in essence, stuck. I had to reload a previous save to get out of it. Bit of a stupid thing, that.

Still having a great time, but the driving really disappointed me, and I expected to like Franklin a lot more than I do. (I loved CJ, for example.)

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 22:22:
/edit: Oh, just remembered, in 9, now 10 hours of play, I have not heard a street conversation or NPC statement repeated. NOT ONCE!

That's weird, as I've had the same "Hey girlfriend! GIRL! You won't believe what I did today!" phone conversation around me at least four or five times already...

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2013, 01:17.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2013, 23:48 WarPig

You're killing me Batman! Here I am waiting for the PC version (hopefully) and you say all this great stuff and...

you're just killing me!!!!

GO SEAHAWKS!

40. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2013, 22:22 xXBatmanXx

*****RUBS EYES AND STRETCHES*****

I put in a solid 9 hours (of play - about 11 hours total), then went to bed. Just woke up. All xbox 360 play, as I went to bed 12 hours after I started playing - 13 hours after "release" - and PSN had not finished downloading the game.....

My first impressions are the same as nin's. I don't want to say to much cause almost any detail I mention will be a spoiler. The game amazes me. That isn't even coming from a fanboy - the game is great.

nin hit most of the stuff on the head, but I'll add a few more things.

• Cars have WEIGHT. If you get into a fender bender, you can no longer just push through it. You actually have to back up and go around. A nice change.

• Even my wife was amazed at the game, if you knew her, that is a pretty big thing. I actually caught her watching me play a number of times when she usually will just ignore it. She is enjoying the story. :)

• The characters have a lot of depth. The story lines are well thought out, the conversations have great one liners and zingers.

• The game is UP TO DATE. By that I mean they have current events in the game - this is pretty impressive.

• The random events: I had 3-4 right away, but now I haven't had any for a while. They are a very nice touch and the options are also a nice touch.

• Falling is hilarious, the environment makes your character do some really funny things - I wish there was an in game recorder like a DVR - would make for some hilarious postings.

• The radio stations are pretty awesome.

• The SE packaging is very impressive, the steel book is REALLY awesome, and even the box itself that it came in (inner not outer) is really well done and has weight and nice finishing touches.

• Minor spoiler about cars, if you have modded a car, it isn't a spoiler, and it is only minor at that - just wanted to share a funny moment:
    So i put the dukes of hazard horn on a veh and was messing around, I don't like that you have to HOLD the horn down for the mods to complete their horn sequence. Anyway, I was approaching a crest and it looked like a perfect Duke boys jump, and I hit it and then held the horn, just as the horn sequence is ending, I rail into the back of a semi about 15 feet in the air and make a spectacular crash. Haven't laughed that hard in a long time.
    /minor spoiler over

More stuff:
  • Money isn't easy to come by in the beginning. I am 9 hours in of random and storyline play, and I just finally got money.

• Ammu-Nation stores are a huge step up. The range is a very nice touch.

• The people marked with ? and random people events and side events have been a lot of fun and are a nice touch. They appear to be special to each individual character.

• The INDOOR detail is just as impressive as the outdoor detail. I spent a lot of time on missions and walking around admiring the work they did in the details.

• The world under the water looks amazing - I hope it is used later in the game. It has more detail than Far Cry 3.

• Pop in appears to be ALMOST non existent. You can see cars a long distance, and I haven't been wiped out because of pop in. I also haven't run into anything cause it wasn't on my screen in time. The "turn around, no cars, turn around, 10 cars" is gone.

• At night, cars are harder to come by.

• I am gushing on this game, I really am. I do enjoy GTA games, and have been playing GTA4 for the past few weeks in preparation. The BIGGEST improvement (for me) nin mentioned, the "high" camera for cars. I played the same way in 4, had to partially hold the left stick down a bit so you can see around you - so this is HUGE.

All of the fan boi stuff aside......it is pretty impressive. Missions are well done, voices are great, characters are great, the world is beautiful, super funny over the top stuff conversations that seem oddly normal, and it is just all around fun again.

10/10 - it is what open world gaming is supposed to be at this time. I haven't run into anything yet and said "ugh, that is annoying". Which after 9 hours is pretty solid. If and when I get into the ps3 version, I will mention any differences I see.

After 9 hours of play, you can check - visually - what I have done:
    It contains spoilers if you mouse over anything in the link, but it gives you a good idea of HOW MUCH IS IN THE GAME, visually.
    http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/career/checklist
    In game it says I am 20% done, but looking quickly at the link, I would say I am only about 10% done.

back to it.

/edit: oh, and the after missions stats and ranking make for a nice touch for re-play-ability. Very cool.

/edit: Oh, just remembered, in 9, now 10 hours of play, I have not heard a street conversation or NPC statement repeated. NOT ONCE!

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2013, 00:00.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2013, 20:18 Julio

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 14:57:
    People can say what they want about Blizzard but that's integrity, particularly with Activision management breathing down their necks.

I'd call it desperation to flog the expansion.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2013, 18:39 nin

BREAKING: BLIMP CRASHES INTO VINEWOOD SIGN ABOVE TOWN: ONE CASUALTY.

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo