Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst

A report on SuperData Research has some speculative analysis about World of Warcraft revenue rates, saying they "believe" that Blizzard's MMORPG earned about $93 million in April, compared with $204 million seven months earlier. Saying this is partly due to the game's slow but steady subscriber loss, they say that it's to the point where the game needs to place greater emphasis on microtransactions, but a switch to a full free-to-play model "is currently too much of a jolt for WoW, and doesn’t make sense with the current metrics." Thanks ComputerAndVideoGames.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

9. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 12:18 kibbled

El Pit wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 10:25:
Dear WoW, please call again once you're free to play. I might consider dating you then, but don't count on it.

Here's an idea, ActiBlizz: give away the base game for free and make that part (and ONLY that part) free to play. I'm sure a lot of people will bite and give you money for the dozen (or so) of add-ons.

The 1st 20 levels are free to play and the 1st month is included after you buy the base game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 12:12 2nd_floor

I think its safe to say, "the damage is already well done", that they made plenty of money from the game in the maybe 10 years it lived. Has WoW maybe been the most successful game ever, both in terms of number of players and profits?  

7. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 12:11 TorchMaster

I'm getting a sidebar ad here on Blue's for "Siege of Ogrimmar". Interestingly enough, the ad does not mention WoW anywhere on it. This makes me think Blizzard has decided that everyone has solidified their opinion of WoW, and therefore they need to trick people into thinking the ad is for something else. It's certainly not a good sign for a product to be hiding from its brand.  

Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.

6. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 11:59 Pigeon

Game play just felt way too regimented. Set builds, set gear and set rotations, it gets boring.  

5. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 11:24 Kajetan

El Pit wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 10:25:
Dear WoW, please call again once you're free to play.
It is. Not with official servers, but dozens and dozens of freeshards are available. You can even setup your own server and play WoW all alone, cheat as you like

4. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 10:51 HorrorScope

Somehow they'll have to make $93 million a month work... oh the struggles of the poor.  

3. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 10:25 El Pit

Dear WoW, please call again once you're free to play. I might consider dating you then, but don't count on it.

Here's an idea, ActiBlizz: give away the base game for free and make that part (and ONLY that part) free to play. I'm sure a lot of people will bite and give you money for the dozen (or so) of add-ons.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

2. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 10:11 Verno

No game lasts forever, expecting this one to just keep generating huge amounts of profit forever isn't realistic even with business model changes and so on. Frankly the idea of a microtransaction based WoW game is a bit insulting, one of the reasons WoW was so successful was its constant additions and value proposition. Getting nickle and dimed in that game would have turned me off even faster.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

1. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 09:53 nin

Interesting, if true. But its speculation...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo