Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst

A report on SuperData Research has some speculative analysis about World of Warcraft revenue rates, saying they "believe" that Blizzard's MMORPG earned about $93 million in April, compared with $204 million seven months earlier. Saying this is partly due to the game's slow but steady subscriber loss, they say that it's to the point where the game needs to place greater emphasis on microtransactions, but a switch to a full free-to-play model "is currently too much of a jolt for WoW, and doesnít make sense with the current metrics." Thanks ComputerAndVideoGames.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

29. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 16:39 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 15:43:
And do what? Read fiction? Watch TV? Hang out in bars? John Lennon said it best, "Enjoying wasting time isn't time wasted." Sounds like you just don't really like gaming all that much.

I enjoy gaming. I think it's great in moderation. Instead of long hours grinding away at an MMO with nothing truly gained, and a lot of negatives (poor health, obsession, constantly indoors, and minimal social contact), I'd rather jump into an FPS for a bit; developing some kind skill that carries over to higher levels of mental concentration and physical reflexes. All those things you mention are ... well I live in California. We go outside and enjoy life all-year-round. We don't suffer from the climatic prison effect. Pinging Ant.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 16:33 Quinn

MattyC wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 14:22:
Quinn wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 12:43:
But it could've lasted for a whole while longer if they didn't go in the direction of fat-fuck pandas and beer elementals...

I am guessing you didn't actually play MoP. It was easily the best WoW expansion since TBC.

It all bottles down to opinions. Considering the statistics of today, I don't think I'm in the minority with how I felt about the expansion. Of course it also had allot to do with the simplification of the gameplay. And yes, I've played the expansion. Maybe the game got better further in but the pandas and beer elementals and rolling beer kegs failed to keep me hanging on.

Imo, the best WoW was a year or so after vanilla.. and then WotLK.

*sigh* this or that, gotta thank Blizz for the joy they gave me. Some ppl look back at their youth and think of crazy nights, great one-night-stands and an awesome real life social life. I look back at my (very late) youth with a content warm smile and see Karazhan, PvP at Zoram Strand, Dark Shore, Molton Core and great laughs with fantastic people all over Europe. <3

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

27. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 16:30 Kitkoan

BobBob wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 14:56:
People burn out on an MMOs. This is a surprise? I burn out on MMOs within 10 minutes. The only MMO that kept my attention for a longer period was City of Heroes (RIP). You know it's true, psychologically, economically, and physiologically, MMOs will have a negative impact on your life. Avoid any kind of game that keeps you staring at a screen or sitting down for more than an hour out of each day; same advice goes toward using social media.

I have to agree, people burn out of MMO's.

And it doesn't help they are quite similar so one feels like the next (even when WoW re-did it's opening world in the previous expansion, it didn't feel that different).

The other issue is, MMO's are built to be just that, Massively Multiplayer. And if you can't get enough people in the area's then it's not as fun. WoW has a lot of player... in the main cities looking for groups for dungeons.

And this is one of those reasons I haven't played GW2 in months. It was great when it first came out. I loved it. But as time went on, more people started getting higher level, and that meant that each area had less players and it just wasn't as fun anymore. No more major events with 25+ people. It became down to 15'ish players, then 10'ish, with the last time I tried I couldn't find more then 2 others to join in a major event which isn't enough. It has a lot of people, but they are spread out on different servers to prevent lag but that also means that there are less people in a map in total. 10,000 players (I don't know exactly how many, work with me) all around the level of 20 or less and the 10'ish beginning area's are packed and it's a blast because everyone can help everyone. Those same 10,000 players spread out amoung 100 area's.... not so packed, so less people to meet and work with. Not as much fun, more so when your in area's that are less prefered.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

26. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 16:22 Phasenoise

It's interesting the conclusion they draw is not that content needs to be more compelling to retain and attract customers, but that they need to try to micro-gouge their current customer base.  

25. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 16:12 UttiniDaKilrJawa

But it could've lasted for a whole while longer if they didn't go in the direction of fat-fuck pandas and beer elementals...

Actually, that wasn't so bad. Had they released it before Kung-Fu Panda I'm sure the majority of "fat-fuck panda" critics wouldn't have bitched about it as much.

The real problem comes when you re-design the core of your game 2-3 times its inevitable people will not want to play it. The new incarnation of WoW looks nothing like the original. Its the "Mass Effect" school of game design. If somethings broke, don't fix it, just get rid of it.

24. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 16:12 Mr. Tact

Darks wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 14:43:
The day Blizz takes these servers off line, there will be mass suicides. All those freaks that just canít let this game go are going to go completely crazy.
That isn't going to happen anytime soon. Hell, EQ is still up and running and it started it 5 years before WoW...

Edit: Math is hard

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2013, 23:46.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

23. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 15:48 nin

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 15:43:
And do what? Read fiction? Watch TV? Hang out in bars? John Lennon said it best, "Enjoying wasting time isn't time wasted." Sounds like you just don't really like gaming all that much.

I shall drink to that!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

22. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 15:43 Cutter

BobBob wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 14:56:
People burn out on an MMOs. This is a surprise? I burn out on MMOs within 10 minutes. The only MMO that kept my attention for a longer period was City of Heroes (RIP). You know it's true, psychologically, economically, and physiologically, MMOs will have a negative impact on your life. Avoid any kind of game that keeps you staring at a screen or sitting down for more than an hour out of each day; same advice goes toward using social media.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

21. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 14:56 BobBob

20. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 14:43 Darks

The day Blizz takes these servers off line, there will be mass suicides. All those freaks that just canít let this game go are going to go completely crazy.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

19. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 14:22 MattyC

I am guessing you didn't actually play MoP. It was easily the best WoW expansion since TBC.

18. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 14:07 Cutter

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 10:51:
Somehow they'll have to make $93 million a month work... oh the struggles of the poor.

Yeah, sounds like they're really struggling to come up with the rent, hey?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 13:25 Mr. Tact

Seven months ago they were pulling in over $200M in a month. And the revenue has been falling for a long time. Doesn't seem like even entire series of Halo or CoD would come close. But if someone has stats to show otherwise I'd be interested in hearing them.  

16. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 13:12 2nd_floor

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 12:55:
2nd_floor wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 12:12:
Has WoW maybe been the most successful game ever, both in terms of number of players and profits?
I would imagine it has to be by far. If there is anything close I can't magine what it would be. I mean yeah, they have high costs too, lots of employees and servers, but still. Now if you want to go for highest percentage return, Minecraft probably wins that.

Although if you compare "game franchises" such as Halo and Grand TheftAuto where you have 4+ Halo games and maybe 10 GTA games, and COD, the Warcraft franchise as a whole, maybe gets some competition.

15. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 12:56 LittleMe

I think its safe to say, "the damage is already well done", that they made plenty of money from the game in the maybe 10 years it lived.

Maybe it's a good thing for PC gaming in general. The market is more diversified now and there are good or even a few great alternatives to WoW.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

14. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 12:55 Mr. Tact

Has WoW maybe been the most successful game ever, both in terms of number of players and profits?
I would imagine it has to be by far. If there is anything close I can't magine what it would be. I mean yeah, they have high costs too, lots of employees and servers, but still. Now if you want to go for highest percentage return, Minecraft probably wins that.

13. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 12:48 Bill Borre

So the Pandas were a disappointment?  

12. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 12:43 Quinn

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

11. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 12:33 ASeven

It had to happen someday. No game lasts forever, as Verno said.  

10. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 12:20 Gadzooks

Oh noes....

Blizzard new hire policy is changed to deal with these revenue drops:

"New hires will no longer recieve a company Yacht, Ferarri, and lobster dinners after the initial hiring. A 90 day probation period must first be observed before these things will become available to you."

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo