Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst

A report on SuperData Research has some speculative analysis about World of Warcraft revenue rates, saying they "believe" that Blizzard's MMORPG earned about $93 million in April, compared with $204 million seven months earlier. Saying this is partly due to the game's slow but steady subscriber loss, they say that it's to the point where the game needs to place greater emphasis on microtransactions, but a switch to a full free-to-play model "is currently too much of a jolt for WoW, and doesn’t make sense with the current metrics." Thanks ComputerAndVideoGames.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 13, 2013, 12:28 Spektr

Scheherazade wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 20:32:
If they had half a brain, they would have nest-egged a crap ton of money from WoW.

Wonder if they squandered it.

-scheherazade

They probably spent it all on girls drugs and champaign.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 13, 2013, 08:25 Steele Johnson

Earned only 93 million in April. Yeah, they're stuggling to survive.  

47. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 13, 2013, 03:18 Lorcin

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 21:04:

What on earth made you ask that question specifically - double post aside. That's such a strange, yet fascinating question. I bet Jules Verne would have known. Can I use it? I'll write a children's book titled that and about it. A little boy decides to go to the moon and needs to find how many jars of marmalade it would take to cover it.

Knock yourself out (yes) - as to why I asked the question. That answer is far less thought provoking, cheap Walmart/Asda cider!

46. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 21:38 z0dd

World of Raidcraft. There's no "War" in this game.  

45. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 21:04 Cutter

Lorcin wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 20:49:
How many jars of marmalade would it take to cover the moon?

(double post)

What on earth made you ask that question specifically - double post aside. That's such a strange, yet fascinating question. I bet Jules Verne would have known. Can I use it? I'll write a children's book titled that and about it. A little boy decides to go to the moon and needs to find how many jars of marmalade it would take to cover it.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

44. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 20:49 Lorcin

How many jars of marmalade would it take to cover the moon?

(double post)

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2013, 20:54.

43. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 20:43 Lorcin

Have to add the immaturity of today's fresh blood is maybe causing a problem.

I NEVER roll tank first in an MMO - I put up with the wait times and learn the game. Then play tank. I'm playing FFXIV ARR atm and started a tank after my first dungeon as dps - because that first dungeon had THE WORST TANK EVAH!!!111!!!! whatever. Seriously the guy was so bad after only 8 hours into the game I thought - christ if he can do it I'll own this shit!

I'm seeing people called "Beyonce Knowles" and "Only Me" run past whilst getting guild invites from "Miley Cirus" looking for mature players.

I can hazard a guess into why this is happening but really please can we keep kung fu panda/miley cirus et all on the damn consoles???

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2013, 20:56.

42. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 20:32 Scheherazade

If they had half a brain, they would have nest-egged a crap ton of money from WoW.

Wonder if they squandered it.

-scheherazade

41. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 19:54 Cutter

BobBob wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 18:40:
I am sorry that you hate life so much. Hope it gets better for you someday.

Oh of course, that must be it. Anyone who's not living according to your standards is clearly wrong and hates life.

Rolleyes

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

40. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 19:48 shihonage

WoW will never die, if only for the fact that there are fully emulated servers running in countries outside the reach of U.S. law.

Of course by the time WoW is officially discontinued it should be considered abandonware, and ideally there should be no attempts to persecute the emulators anyway.

39. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 18:48 Prez

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 18:12:
BobBob wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 17:34:
The difference being that living in an environment that allows you to be outdoors all the time -- changes your social habits, your culture, your interaction with nature, and almost everything else. I've been to many different places. Being forced (or choosing) to stay inside all the time is both psychologically and physically destructive.

No it's not. Being out in the wilds is dangerous and possibly lethal. And all us northerners and people of northern European descent while away the winters in our caves quite comfortably, thank you very much. The only reason most people go out is because they have no other choice. Otherwise they'd be more than happy to stay in their caves and have everything come to them. And is there some reason people can't exercise indoors? In fact most people probably do. And most people in public are assholes and/or idiots and I really have zero desire to interact with any of them more than is absolutely necessary. Going out in public in any city is more an exercise in frustration and anger than anything else. Whilst I do like camping that's not as easy as just going outside and takes some time, money, and effort. So, thanks but no thanks.

Heh, I could have written this paragraph myself (Except for the camping part ). I couldn't agree more with the highlighted part.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

38. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 18:41 Asmo

Bill Borre wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 12:48:
So the Pandas were a disappointment?

Disappointment infers high expectations...

37. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 18:40 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 18:12:
No it's not. Being out in the wilds is dangerous and possibly lethal. And all us northerners and people of northern European descent while away the winters in our caves quite comfortably, thank you very much. The only reason most people go out is because they have no other choice. Otherwise they'd be more than happy to stay in their caves and have everything come to them. And is there some reason people can't exercise indoors? In fact most people probably do. And most people in public are assholes and/or idiots and I really have zero desire to interact with any of them more than is absolutely necessary. Going out in public in any city is more an exercise in frustration and anger than anything else. Whilst I do like camping that's not as easy as just going outside and takes some time, money, and effort. So, thanks but no thanks.

I am sorry that you hate life so much. Hope it gets better for you someday.

36. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 18:23 Redmask

Alamar wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 18:17:

People like having a reason... And panda's a popular reason...

The reality of it, and every other decision/action/thing in the world is there are tens/hundreds/thousands of reasons...

But let's blame panda's... That's easy.

You don't exactly offer an alternative so I guess pandas it is.

35. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 18:17 Alamar

People like having a reason... And panda's a popular reason...

The reality of it, and every other decision/action/thing in the world is there are tens/hundreds/thousands of reasons...

But let's blame panda's... That's easy.

-Alamar

34. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 18:12 Cutter

BobBob wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 17:34:
The difference being that living in an environment that allows you to be outdoors all the time -- changes your social habits, your culture, your interaction with nature, and almost everything else. I've been to many different places. Being forced (or choosing) to stay inside all the time is both psychologically and physically destructive.

33. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 17:39 Prez

I generally play games in huge chunks when I get time - over the last three days I had off and played about 20 hours of Far Cry 3, for example. I don't regret or lament that fact one bit either (nor do I consider it being "trapped"...) because I enjoyed the vast majority of that time immensely. Which means it wasn't wasted. I still dislike MMO's though - I reluctantly joined my friends GW2 guild after he had been pestering me about it for quite some time, and while that game manages to avoid some of the major pitfalls of the genre, it still feels more like work than gaming. Which indicates most of that time was wasted I think. It is, as someone already mentioned, a personal preference thing. Your choice of how you spend your personal time does not make you better or wiser than someone else. I HATE the outdoors; others love it. To each his own.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

32. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 17:34 BobBob

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2013, 17:52.

31. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 17:09 Cutter

BobBob wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 16:39:
Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 15:43:
And do what? Read fiction? Watch TV? Hang out in bars? John Lennon said it best, "Enjoying wasting time isn't time wasted." Sounds like you just don't really like gaming all that much.

I enjoy gaming. I think it's great in moderation. Instead of long hours grinding away at an MMO with nothing truly gained, and a lot of negatives (poor health, obsession, constantly indoors, and minimal social contact), I'd rather jump into an FPS for a bit; developing some kind skill that carries over to higher levels of mental concentration and physical reflexes. All those things you mention are ... well I live in California. We go outside and enjoy life all-year-round. We don't suffer from the climatic prison effect. Pinging Ant.

Well you're still wasting time, so what's the difference? Exercise? Pro tip: No one gets alive in the end regardless.

It's like The Specials sang, "enjoy yourself, enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!"

30. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 17:05 Pigeon

Quinn wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 16:33:
MattyC wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 14:22:
Quinn wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 12:43:
But it could've lasted for a whole while longer if they didn't go in the direction of fat-fuck pandas and beer elementals...

I am guessing you didn't actually play MoP. It was easily the best WoW expansion since TBC.

It all bottles down to opinions. Considering the statistics of today, I don't think I'm in the minority with how I felt about the expansion. Of course it also had allot to do with the simplification of the gameplay. And yes, I've played the expansion. Maybe the game got better further in but the pandas and beer elementals and rolling beer kegs failed to keep me hanging on.

Imo, the best WoW was a year or so after vanilla.. and then WotLK.

*sigh* this or that, gotta thank Blizz for the joy they gave me. Some ppl look back at their youth and think of crazy nights, great one-night-stands and an awesome real life social life. I look back at my (very late) youth with a content warm smile and see Karazhan, PvP at Zoram Strand, Dark Shore, Molton Core and great laughs with fantastic people all over Europe. <3

I don't think the expansion was bad per-say, I think I just got tired after 7ish years of playing. The move to further remove the player from build decisions and gearing didn't help. Sure cookie cutter builds were always pretty common, but instead of working to provide more viable balanced options they went in the opposite direction and made player build choices have very little effect on how the character would be played. Yeah it makes it easier to balance for both PvE and PvP, but IMO it makes it more boring.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo