Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I've been continuing to pound away at the mysterious graphics glitches on my PC. The good news is I identified one of the problems as a simple settings issue, and a clean driver install fresh settings has stopped games like Borderlands 2 from locking up cold. The somewhere in-between news is that I replaced my PSU along the way, which didn't change anything but the old one was getting on in years anyway, so if this all leads to me building a new rig, that can be part of it. The bad news is there is still definitely something wrong: In particular, the machine will still not complete a run on 3DMark without quitting with one of a variety of errors, and not being able to run a benchmark is not a crisis (or crysis) in itself, this still suggests something is wrong, and true to that, the logs show the video card is still throwing bunches of 500 and 501 errors. I'm also seeing artifacts on my desktop with whichever drivers I use, so I still have some sort of mystery here, though at least I can play games again.

R.I.P.: Manson Whitlock, Typewriter Repairman, Dies at 96. Thanks Slashdot.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Ragdoll Achievement 2.
Weird World of Wonders.
Story: Breaking Bad Spin-Off: Saul Is A Go.
Media: Joking Bad.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail modern trailer. Thanks Bats.
DJI Phantom - Niagara Falls. Thanks TheGlyingPenguin.
Guy Carries Girl Across a Flooded Street and This Happens...

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2013, 09:28 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 08:27:
Prez wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 00:18:
You got to hand it to the Jets - they play the ugliest, most boring games week in, week out.

JETS BABY!

Also GTA 5 for the consoles has leaked, people who care might wanna go into blackout.

Saw that. The first screen I have seen is 2 dogs humping....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2013, 09:06 Mr. Tact

The Jets could have won that game, which is more than I would have expected.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2013, 08:27 Verno

Prez wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 00:18:
You got to hand it to the Jets - they play the ugliest, most boring games week in, week out.

JETS BABY!

Also GTA 5 for the consoles has leaked, people who care might wanna go into blackout.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2013, 00:18 Prez

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2013, 19:25 Julio

Nuke the whole PC from orbit, just to be sure.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2013, 19:09 Asmo

Erm, wasn't the video card replaced previously/recently and the issues persisted?

If so, I'd go with mobo.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2013, 18:04 m00t

I have had similar problems when my motherboard chipset overheated due to a faulty or inadequate fan/heat sink.

Do you sometimes see weird geometry corruption where giant spikes come out of models?

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2013, 16:51 1badmf

i concur with the others that say it's a damaged vid card. swap that bitch out!  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2013, 16:29 Wallshadows

I'm so fucking happy and excited that Saul will get his own spin-off series.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2013, 14:49 Cutter

You've pretty much ruled out the PS, RAM and video card so it's the mobo for sure.

Edit: That Manson Whitlock - great name btw - sounds like an odd duck. But the sort of odd duck I like....

He owed his longevity, he told The New Haven Register last year, to “cheap Scotch and strong tobacco.”

God love him!

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2013, 17:11.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2013, 14:07 ByteCrawler

Blue you might want to check all the capacitors on your MOBO and Video Card. Look for any bulges. Last time I had issues like you described, I looked at my MOBO and found a bunch of bulging capacitors (this was in 2005 around the time of shoddy capacitors, but still is possible today but not as wide spread).  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2013, 14:02 jacobvandy

Graphical corruption is almost always an issue with video hardware. Drivers themselves very rarely cause artifacts, especially in 2D mode (not running a game). Either your GPU cooler is not seated properly and it's overheating just by getting power or something else on the board is messed up. Swap it out.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2013, 13:48 Hoop

It's an easy fix.
Remove the side of the case then ask Mrs Blue to fan air over the card while playing. When you enter a complex environment in game that requires alot of rendering simply yell faster over the card noise & Mrs Blues expletives.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2013, 14:17.

Um .. Behind you...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2013, 13:37 descender

This sounds like a rather simple diagnosis to me. The video card is not overheating, it ALREADY overheated. The artifacts you see under no load are a direct result of that.

You need to replace the video card and I would wager every problem you have goes away, except that rash.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2013, 12:44 Verno

I have settled all of my football picks finally, I'm really worried about that Niners/Seahawks game and I just rolled the dice on the Cowboys/Chiefs because it seems like it could go either way.

Blue, can you just swap in the old video card and see?

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2013, 11:46 Capella

Stick a spare HD in that box and do a clean install. Should narrow it down a good bit at that point.  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2013, 11:21 HorrorScope

Have you tried another video card? (Not keeping total score over here).

It is always good having an extra PSU in stock.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2013, 11:08 Creston

Hey Blue, I thought you'd get a kick out of this license plate. Grin

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2013, 10:48 Creston

Did you run Memtest already? If not, do so. If you did, I'm gonna guess your motherboard is either FUBAR, or needs new chipset drivers.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2013, 10:33 El Pit

Good luck finding the problem, Blue. I hate it when something like this happens, unlike a friend of mine, who usually enjoys swapping parts to detect the problem.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo