Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Mobilization

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 12, 2013, 16:12 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 14:20:
Just because you hate the environment and people doesn't mean the rest of us do. Anything for a buck no matter what the actual cost, right? Typical.

Again, you read into things strangely.

In the past I took photos. A good amount. I needed a camera. I needed lenses. I needed a case. I needed film. I'd need to take the photos somewhere to be developed with chemicals. Paper would be used for each photo, whether it was worth it or not.
After that, I switched to digital, but tended to buy new cameras every 2 years because the point-and-shoot didn't last much longer - carrying them around in a backpack would beat them up quite a bit.

Now, I upgrade my phone every 2 years to get a new camera. They're increasing in ability rapidly, and these increases warrant upgrading. They last longer because they fit in my pocket, there's no need for chemical development (you can whine about greed, but this put people out of work, right? If your hypothesis is that I only care about "a buck," shouldn't I want this step of the value chain to exist? And how do you think I make a buck off of phones?)

Again, though, this is a board that has many people that used to buy a new graphics card every single year. How long was your upgrade cycle on your old computers? How often did you swap parts? Did you ever go "well, this graphics card can only play Far Cry on Medium, but then again, buying a new one would hurt the environment, so Medium is good enough!" You're singling out phones just because you don't think they have value. You've stated so endlessly. Sorry, most people disagree. There's a reason why such a giant chunk of internet traffic comes through them.

And, frankly, the impact on the environment due to people upgrading their phones is minimal.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 12, 2013, 14:20 Cutter

Just because you hate the environment and people doesn't mean the rest of us do. Anything for a buck no matter what the actual cost, right? Typical.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

9. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 12, 2013, 11:50 Beamer

Eirikrautha wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 05:59:
Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 01:53:
Cutter wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 23:34:
Not just on Apple this time but people really need to start looking at the environmental and social impact of this conspicuous consumption where people need the greatest, latest doodad every few months. My last phone I've had for 3 years and that's only because I lost my other phone which I had for 4. There's a large negative impact to all of this. And please, don't spout GDP voodoonomics to me because even bad things are a plus as it applies to GDP. Every major oil spill is a major boost to the GDP while ignoring all the down sides.

Agreed. This is why the 360 has been a miracle. Prior to it people were upgrading their PCs on an annual basis. Now, innovation has stagnated to the point that people keep them 3-5 years. The social and economic impact is tremendous. We should all be praising the 360 constantly for helping assure we don't ruin the world by making electronics better as quickly as possible.

From anyone else, I'd be absolutely sure that this was sarcasm. But from BN's resident industry apologist...

Of course it's sarcasm. Cutter bitching about people upgrading every two years is pretty amusing.

-------------

8. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 12, 2013, 09:15 wtf_man

My last phone I've had for 3 years and that's only because I lost my other phone which I had for 4.

I went from an iPhone 3G (the second one) to an iPhone 5 (Four models later... 3gs, 4, 4s, 5). And the only reason was because I switched carriers for better coverage in my area, and the old phone was locked into AT&T (hardware-wise).

It will be several years before I upgrade again (unless something drastic happens like the phone breaks from being dropped). Also... since I don't have a heavy investment in apps... I'm not locked in to any brand... I may go android next time.... who knows.

7. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 12, 2013, 08:58 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 08:28:
You're the first person I've seen quote in a long time, surprised he even bothers anymore.

Anyways Apple seems to be mired in complacency and stagnating. Cook has been good at keeping the gravy train going but not so good at actually introducing new concepts and products.

And that's only going to carry him so far. The iPhone 5S has a fingerprint scanner (which I give odds people will use for about a week before it annoys them), a spec bump and somehow, they managed to make iOS even uglier with v7. And with the iPhone 5C, Apple's officially joined the race to the bottom they thought themselves better than. Except they haven't really of course because despite the 5C being made of materials Apple took the piss out of others for using barely a year ago, it's still over $500 without a contract. Yet this phone's supposed to get Apple into emerging markets? Clueless. Android isn't the unstable, battery sucking mess it used to be and it's rapidly eclipsing iOS in terms of features and iteration speed. Windows Phone may not have many good apps but it's a fantastic mobile OS. Apple can only ride this fashion trend so far and given the "meh" response I largely saw the other day, I hope they have something big in the pipe. Actually I don't because I think Apple (and particularly, their obnoxious fan base) needs to be cut down several pegs.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

6. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 12, 2013, 08:36 RollinThundr

Eirikrautha wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 05:59:
Not just on Apple this time but people really need to start looking at the environmental and social impact of this conspicuous consumption where people need the greatest, latest doodad every few months. My last phone I've had for 3 years and that's only because I lost my other phone which I had for 4. There's a large negative impact to all of this. And please, don't spout GDP voodoonomics to me because even bad things are a plus as it applies to GDP. Every major oil spill is a major boost to the GDP while ignoring all the down sides.

Agreed. This is why the 360 has been a miracle. Prior to it people were upgrading their PCs on an annual basis. Now, innovation has stagnated to the point that people keep them 3-5 years. The social and economic impact is tremendous. We should all be praising the 360 constantly for helping assure we don't ruin the world by making electronics better as quickly as possible.

From anyone else, I'd be absolutely sure that this was sarcasm. But from BN's resident industry apologist...

Right?

5. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 12, 2013, 08:28 Verno

You're the first person I've seen quote in a long time, surprised he even bothers anymore.

Anyways Apple seems to be mired in complacency and stagnating. Cook has been good at keeping the gravy train going but not so good at actually introducing new concepts and products.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 12, 2013, 05:59 Eirikrautha

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 12, 2013, 01:53 Beamer

-------------

2. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 11, 2013, 23:50 nin

Saw that (ATT ad) earlier today - very tacky. I'm sure some marketing dork thought it was fantastic...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 11, 2013, 23:34 Cutter

And yeah, nicely done AT&T. Fucking seriously? What assholes dreamed that up and approved it thought it was a good idea? Why not show some pics of dead soldiers in coffins with the American flag draped on them while you're at it.

AT&T apologized an hour later: "We apologize to anyone who felt our post was in poor taste. The image was solely meant to pay respect to those affected by the 9/11 tragedy," the company account tweeted. The original tweet has been removed.

Yeah, sure that's what it was.
Rolleyes

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo