Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter

A new Kickstarter from Conatus Creative is hoping to raise at least $180K to develop River City Ransom: Underground, a licensed continuation of the series for Windows PCs. Here's the pitch:

You're backing a 2.5D open world beat'em up with RPG elements, just like the classic game, for the Windows platform. We're making River City bigger, adding more stores, items, and bringing the cast and crew into the modern era. You'll reunite with old friends (and punch them in the face), meet new ones, and play through an epic story in an urban, open world. Yes, the game will feature local co-op play, and online co-op depending on our distribution partners on launch day.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter Sep 11, 2013, 00:26 Mordecai Walfish

RCR was one of my favorite games of the 8 bit generation, definitely backing this in hopes of a proper sequel. I played a translated SNES sequel that had some RPG elements, and there was a remade "ex" GBA version that was pretty much just a new coat of paint and more difficulty.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World for PS3 was similar in gameplay.. but this looks like it will be an actual proper sequel.. I really hope it gets funded!

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 19:57:
beigemore wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 17:18:
There was an excellent version of RCR for the PC-Engine. Exactly like the NES version but with more colors and a CD audio soundtrack. Was great.

Is that so? I don't know how I missed that before! I'll have to go looking for that.

Whoa, didn't know that either! Thanks for the heads up!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter Sep 10, 2013, 21:41 Ludomancer

If you like RCR, just look up the Kunio-kun series. There are more than 20 games in the RCR franchise, (only a handful that are brawlers, but still) the west never acknowledges them.

This is the third 'official' RCR reboot/sequel that I know of since 2005. One of those was by the original team members, and still magically disappeared. Save your money.

8. Re: River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter Sep 10, 2013, 19:57 Parallax Abstraction

beigemore wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 17:18:
There was an excellent version of RCR for the PC-Engine. Exactly like the NES version but with more colors and a CD audio soundtrack. Was great.

Is that so? I don't know how I missed that before! I'll have to go looking for that.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

7. Re: River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter Sep 10, 2013, 18:10 Eirikrautha

Ok... there's a reason that 8/16 bit games are not made too often anymore. We've moved beyond the limitations that make them necessary. Sorry, while I'm certainly not a graphics whore (I think Shadowrun Returns looks great for the style of game it is), this is retro for nostalgia's sake. And the key thing about true nostalgia is that you can't ever go home... you can never recapture what made the memories you treasure.

So make a damn game that I can stand to look at...

6. Re: River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter Sep 10, 2013, 17:18 beigemore

5. Re: River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter Sep 10, 2013, 15:22 nin

This particular title was announced as having a Kickstarter coming a while ago but it didn't launch until today.

That very well could be what I'm thinking of.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter Sep 10, 2013, 14:57 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 10:07:
I could have sworn this had already been attempted, but I'm not finding it on KS...

This particular title was announced as having a Kickstarter coming a while ago but it didn't launch until today. They were actually waiting until Canada became officially supported by Kickstarter which is just did. The developer also recently had to rebrand due to trademark issues. I imagine there have been other 8-bit brawlers that have attempted Kickstarters as well by now.

Parallax Abstraction

3. Re: River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter Sep 10, 2013, 11:03 MoreLuckThanSkill

nin wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 10:07:
I could have sworn this had already been attempted, but I'm not finding it on KS...

River City Ransom was a great NES game(only version I played, if there were others) but yeah, I remember seeing something to the same effect, nin. Although it might have been one of those 8 bit graphic genre-blender games that was similar enough to confuse the issue.

*EDIT* Such as Retro City Rampage

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2013, 12:35.

2. Re: River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter Sep 10, 2013, 10:07 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter Sep 10, 2013, 10:07 Parallax Abstraction

Not only am I a massive RCR fan but this is being done by a team in my home town and it's rare to see games made in Ottawa these days! Backed for $40.  
Parallax Abstraction

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo