Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well, I followed through on my commitment to dope out my BSoD (thanks to all who offered help and suggestions), and was victorious, in that failing sort of way. I devoted a little more attention to the logs and determined I did have a hardware issue with my RAM. I got four matched sticks of RAM and installed them, and sure enough, my system passed the RAM test it previously failed. As for the bad news, this may come under the heading of not fixing something that isn't broken (I mentioned my system crashes were pretty infrequent), as when I headed out to the wasteland to play Borderlands 2 with my buddies last night, I began suffering all sorts of texture glitches and pauses, making the game unplayable, and some visual glitches are also showing up in desktop applications. So even though it was fine before my RAM swap, my new GTX 760 is now acting all flaky: 3DMark runs for a while, but eventually halts with one of two errors, the benchmark either quits saying Windows lost focus, or quits saying the video card was disconnected. I found forum posts suggesting EVGA cards don't like beta drivers, so I rolled back to the WHQL-certified drivers, but to no avail. The event viewer shows I have multiple listings of Event 500 and Event 501, which suggest switching to Windows 7 basic, and while these errors may well be related to my issue, they also date back not only to before I was experiencing these problems, but before I replaced my video card. Things are messed up enough that may have to turn to truly desperate measures and actually call EVGA tech support. Shudder. Wish me luck.

Desperate Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Barons Gate.
Kingdom of Liars 3.
Links: 5 Shockingly Violent Back Stories of Everyday Traditions.
Media: GTA V - The Musical (GTA 5).

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 13:03 Agent.X7

Blue, a site (guessing it's for your ads) called c.berstad.com keeps hanging and not letting me view the actual website. I get the ads and a blank, blue page. I have to refresh a bunch of times for it to let me see the actual page.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 12:31 BobBob

Chaotically experimenting will not solve the problem. Hit and miss / trial and error, may come up with a solution but you'll never be in full control or know the exact cause. Perform diagnostics in safe mode or via a Linux distro. Use the process of elimination to find out if it's the hardware first. If it is, go from there. If it isn't the hardware, you'll need to do a step by step process of finding out the culprit software. Most likely you'll end up with a fresh install of Windows, then slowly but surely install software, test, install software, test, until you find the trouble maker. Create a lot of system restore points as you install software. You can find scripts that will create system restore points at the click of a button.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/494-system-restore-point-shortcut.html

Don't get into the habit of simply trying all sorts of weird tweaks and random approaches. Be in control. Be systematic. You will learn more in the long run and gain a greater understanding of your computer and the technology behind it.

What you are describing sounds like a heat issue (are you overclocking?). Open the case, and blow a giant box fan across to see if you have that kind of problem or if it goes away. Run some diagnostics and monitor temperatures, etc. Even a small dust layer can cause most technology to over-heat; it's very common.

Before you do anything else ...

Back up your important data now and every time you make a change to it. Back it up to an external HD, to the cloud, or something. Have, at least, two resources for backups so that you can have a fall back if one fails. Ideally, you will have at least one physical, immediately accessible backup, and another one that is remotely stored and encrypted (in case of fire or some kind of tragedy at the home or office). Make these backups before you do any further diagnostics or repairs. Make backing up one of your primary habits. This way you can feel secure and patient with fixing any issues that may come up; knowing that all your hard work, creativity, and time spent are safe from being lost forever.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2013, 14:55.

http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 12:05 HorrorScope

AlexSledge wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 11:43:
Hardware failures that move around the high energy consumption components often point to the power supply as not being a solid player in the equation any more. This will often present itself as flaky RAM, video cards and the like.

True always carry a extra PSU in your inventory. And run a UPS in front of your PC. Electric outages play havoc on PSU's. #1 pc of HW that breaks on a PC and almost always storm/elect outage related. Especially those nasty start back up's. Where the lights flicker, but no go. Or they pop on for a couple seconds than back off. Barkley would say "Just Terble".

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 12:05 Creston

Put the old memory back in, see if the problem goes away. If it does, your new memory seems incompatible with your motherboard.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 12:01 HorrorScope

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 11:24:
By the way, all the horror stories and my own personal problems with EVGA cards made me buy an Gigabyte 670GTX and forgo all others...... no issues ever since that decision. YMMV

I used to buy EVGA years ago, two things their quality dropped and two their enclosed cards ran hotter then the open dual fan'd one's. Yes I would say stay away from EVGA. That said I believe they still have the lifetime warranty, so your covered.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 11:57 eRe4s3r

nin wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 11:44:
I've been totally happy with EVGA, but as you say, YMMV. Think I'm on my 2nd or 3rd card from them in the last 15 years (chosen upgrades, not failures)?

That's a pretty good run. I've had an EVGA 6600 GT and had it arrive DOA twice only to get a 3rd card with deadlocked fans at 100% and the famous 6600GT cold-bug (doesn't switch into 3D mode when below a certain temperature, fixed by blowing hot air at the card, not a joke). After the 3rd RMA I gave up.... Nvidia never confirmed this bug existed, but I have the card to prove it. Then to MSI 460GTX who's fan failed twice in a row, and now a 670GTX from Gigabyte.... no issues and super silent in idle.

Before that I actually was firm believer in ATI cards. 9700 pro or what was it? Loved that card.. replaced by a GeForce4 MX 440 and since then until the 670GTX I had issues with my GPU's ... ;p Huge issues in case of the 6600GT

Heck I had a lot of GPU's in my gaming time... still have a Voodoo 2 around. Sadly no hardware left to actually use it. Of all the stuff that's failed on me only 3 things never failed, mainboards, cpu, and psu. Kinda glad about that as well...

To me it's a wonder PC's even work to begin with. Just think how many billions of parts a PC + all the components have. And they all need to work properly.... ah technology.. love it and hate it

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2013, 12:05.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 11:44 nin

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 11:24:
By the way, all the horror stories and my own personal problems with EVGA cards made me buy an Gigabyte 670GTX and forgo all others...... no issues ever since that decision. YMMV

I've been totally happy with EVGA, but as you say, YMMV. Think I'm on my 2nd or 3rd card from them in the last 15 years (chosen upgrades, not failures)?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 11:43 AlexSledge

Hardware failures that move around the high energy consumption components often point to the power supply as not being a solid player in the equation any more. This will often present itself as flaky RAM, video cards and the like.  
I should be coding.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 11:35 xXBatmanXx

Just point them to your website and ask for an RMA.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 11:24 eRe4s3r

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 11:17 kubato

You put new RAM in and now your video is flaky? 1st, the most important item and most overlooked is the power supply. Get a quality unit from either Seasonic or Corsair. Since your video is flaky after you have new ram, I would look there first, provided you are sure you have a quality power supply. You say you have 4 matched sticks then you can test them easily by, removing 2 sticks and test to see if it gets better, maybe up the voltage to the ram by 1 or two steps in the bios. Do not go crazy upping the voltage and make sure the timing settings in the bios match the ram to the letter. No change, then use the other two sticks and pull the 1st set out. Also try the other RAM slots for the second set. No good, pull out one stick from second set and add one from the 1st set. I would mark all the ram with numbers so you will not get confused as I do often.
I really think that your power supply is something to look at because, flaky screen images are video card ram. (I might be wrong..)
Of course as mentioned, video drivers can be the issue to and hard to completely clean out.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2013, 20:00.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 11:15 Sepharo

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 10:56:
What the heck? Beat The Insiders webpage won't be updated until tomorrow? Are they doing it by hand?

I believe so. Seemed like most of the games updated nearly immediately but then when the last game ended at 1:30am EST the intern in charge must've been asleep because it wasn't updated until this morning.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 11:02 NewMaxx

Yeezut wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 10:13:
Rolling back to the WHQL drivers won't help. nVidia's drivers have been causing crashes ever since 320.49. The best way to deal with it is to roll back to the 314.22 drivers.

This is true, I've heard many people say that.

As far as "RAM test" goes, there's no substitute for MemTest86+. I usually suggest looping test 5 for a few hours. Nothing else will suffice. RAM issues can cause video issues like described, actually. Be sure to check the GPU vitals anyway with something like MSI Afterburner.

Also, when you're inside a computer fixing something, it's not uncommon to bump or mess something else up while you're in there. Always a good time to double-check/tighten all connections.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 11:02 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 10:56:
What the heck? Beat The Insiders webpage won't be updated until tomorrow? Are they doing it by hand?

Yeah, I don't know why they're not updating dynamically as the games are played.

Edit: Just picked week #2 and hopefully this should go better - was 8/16 this week - as the matches seem a bit more obvious.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 10:58 LurkerLito

Ack, I had something similar happen to me and I had to RMA my GTX670 card. I think your GFX card is going to die soon. My original GTX670 started crashing to desktop first after glitching the screen when I played. Then it started doing it when running the precision x test mode. I decided to run the tests again and take a photo then it completely glitched the screen permanently. I went to EVGA support online and had an RMA in a few hours (I sent them a picture). They sent me a GTX670 SC version (a slight upgrade ) and all is well again using 320.18 drivers.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 10:56 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 10:54 HorrorScope

Even though these types of things are frustrating (esp. when it's compounded being more than one pc of HW) and console players point to as an issue like this as a big negative to gaming on a pc. I believe there is a real hidden benefit, it pays to know how to fix things like this.

I routinely point parent/kids to get their kids on PC's for gaming. I tell them, if your kid is going to play it should be on a PC, they are getting good experience using that pc, they will learn many things outside of direct gaming, where on a console, they learn nothing. These skills will help in their professional life later on.

I wasn't sure what all you upgraded etc, but the texture issue is almost always VC related and almost always bad soon to be RMA'd HW. But there are exceptions. But as mentioned the PSU can play a part as well. The worst is when it is the MB. Because that means you tested everything out and it's the last thing and that last thing handles everything and you probably don't have a backup laying around you want to put in. Downtime.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 10:41 Riker

Ah, the joys of being a PC gamer. Thankfully these sorts of shitstorms are pretty rare.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 10:13 Yeezut

Rolling back to the WHQL drivers won't help. nVidia's drivers have been causing crashes ever since 320.49. The best way to deal with it is to roll back to the 314.22 drivers. I found this post that explains everything.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 09:57 eRe4s3r

The "Card disconnected" message would point to either broken card or psu or heat problem... but can also just mean a driver conflict or the mainboard chipset not liking you.

Did you make sure the power cables are connected to the GPU proper, all fans are running, monitoring temp for a while? Try reseating the card... aside that...

Basically I would take the PC to some nerd hideout and have them diagnose the error for you. We could end up guessing the wrong causes for months without ever getting anywhere.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo