Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Space Engineers Announced

Indie Czech developer Keen Software House announces Space Engineers is their second game, following up 6DOF shooter Miner Wars 2081 with a sandbox game that allows players to construct space stations, pilot spaceships, and mine asteroids. This trailer offers alpha gameplay footage, this developer blog has some background details, and here's a bit from the announcement:

Space Engineers is a sandbox game about engineering, construction and maintenance of space works. Players build space ships and space stations of various sizes and utilization (civil and military), pilot ships and perform asteroid mining.

Space Engineers utilizes a realistic volumetric-based physics engine: all objects can be assembled, disassembled, damaged and destroyed.

Space Engineers is inspired by reality and by how things work. Think about modern-day NASA technology extrapolated 60 years into the future. Space Engineers strives to follow the laws of physics and doesn't use technologies that wouldn't be feasible in the near future.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Space Engineers Announced Sep 11, 2013, 20:57 xXBatmanXx

Moonbase Alpha?

Fun game that never went anywhere....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Space Engineers Announced Sep 10, 2013, 01:25 saluk

I'm fine with it as long as they don't do any crowdfunding this time... It looks closer to what I was expecting from Miner Wars, so maybe on the right path.  

12. Re: Space Engineers Announced Sep 9, 2013, 23:07 The_Pink_Tiger

It looks interesting, and maybe even fun. I might pick it up. But their harping on the world "realistic" bugs me because there's little real about this interpretation of space travel. Of course, that's probably for the best - space is mostly empty dullness and that rarely makes for interesting gameplay - but this game is "inspired by reality" about as much as Doom was.

11. Re: Space Engineers Announced Sep 9, 2013, 20:20 Nate

The 2 craft collision looked excellent. However, it looked like it would take a full day to build a medium size ship. Granted that the building process itself looks really good.

Interested to see how the weapons and combat will work.

10. Re: Space Engineers Announced Sep 9, 2013, 19:54 SlimRam

Well if it doesn't have an Infinite Improbability Drive then me and Arthur Dent will have nothing to do with this.

DON'T FORGET YOUR TOWEL!

I'm bringing Sexy Back

Luckily, I kept the receipt

9. Re: Space Engineers Announced Sep 9, 2013, 18:54 ForgedReality

Looks cool. Kind of like Minecraft, in space, with higher definition. But holy shit. I spend hours building a giant mothership just to have some prick come along and smash into it? OMG I'd go absolutely nuts.  

8. Re: Space Engineers Announced Sep 9, 2013, 18:46 SM0k3

has great potential, going to be watching this one.  

7. Re: Space Engineers Announced Sep 9, 2013, 18:08 Asmo

I contributed very early to Miner Wars (I love the whole Descent style gameplay) and they never even came vaguely close to fulfilling their promises on it. It's a half baked game and, imo, a cash grab. Fool me once and all that.

6. Re: Space Engineers Announced Sep 9, 2013, 16:08 UttiniDaKilrJawa

1st person view with Oculus Rift support would make this pretty damn amusing me thinks.  

5. Re: Space Engineers Announced Sep 9, 2013, 16:04 Kosumo

I get a KSP + Minecraft feel from this video. Could be fun.  

4. Re: Space Engineers Announced Sep 9, 2013, 15:07 Linksil

Well I picked up miner wars on one of the insane steam sales... have yet to play around with it. This seems like the game that I was expecting though. Not really sure what to think, except it's a step in the right direction?  
Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

3. Re: Space Engineers Announced Sep 9, 2013, 11:21 Will W

This sounds like the part of Miner Wars I was interested in when I bought in. They over promised on Miner Wars and couldn't deliver everything they wanted to, and haven't done anything to make me think they've learned from that mistake. If it comes out and gets good reviews or has a demo that shows me they have followed through on what they're presenting this time...I'll most likely consider a purchase. Miner Wars hurt their pre-purchase reputation for me, however.  

2. Re: Space Engineers Announced Sep 9, 2013, 10:24 jdreyer

Well the idea is solid. Heres to hoping its better than their last game.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

1. Re: Space Engineers Announced Sep 9, 2013, 10:08 Aero

Well, Miner Wars was an interesting engine used to create a poor game. This, unfortunately, looks like it's going down the same route. I hope they put a lot more thought into making something fun this time time because they do have some good technical talent.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo