Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't

Last week it was revealed that Gearbox Software has picked up the rights to HARDWARE: Shipbreakers for release as Homeworld: Shipbreakers, a new installment in the space-based RTS series. Kotaku notes a tweet by Randy Pitchford we missed at the time (thanks nin) where the Gearbox honcho reveals that this means this is no longer planned as a free-to-play game:

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

29. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 15:06 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:04:
I understand it's easier for Blue. I still, however, effing hate Twitter and think it should be a banned service. Also the front page would look horrible if was full of those goddamned things.

Banned? Like, you think the UN should pass a treaty forbidding it from existing?

Is this literally old man yelling at a cloud [based service.]

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 14:20 Verno

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 12:50:
Oh nos Blue used a twitter embed QQQQQQQQ. Jesus really people?

Context is important. Also you actually thought, typed and then posted "QQ" in a non-ironic manner, way worse offense.

Quite frankly the only reason it sticks out like a sore thumb is because the layout here is absolutely archaic. And I don't say this as a trendwhore. I generally hate web redesigns. But at this stage of the game, it might be warranted. I'd even pitch in some cash to help get it done.

Yeah I've said the same thing before. The mobile version of the site doesn't even work on my phone, it's in WAP format. I would go in on a Bluesnews update crowdfund type thing.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

27. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 14:07 NKD

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 12:50:

Quite frankly the only reason it sticks out like a sore thumb is because the layout here is absolutely archaic. And I don't say this as a trendwhore. I generally hate web redesigns. But at this stage of the game, it might be warranted. I'd even pitch in some cash to help get it done.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

26. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 13:28 Beelzebud

I predict that they milk the Homeworld franchise for every cent they can, and re-invest it back in to Borderlands 3, and its numerous DLC packs.  

25. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 12:50 RollinThundr

24. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 12:50 Panickd

DangerDog wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 12:34:
"From the makers of Aliens Colonial Marines..."

At least this way the game should be around for a long time, most of these free-2-play attempts shutdown after a year.

That's precisely why devs like F2P. You spend a year developing it and let people play it early on and if it takes off you can iterate and improve it and if it doesn't you can move on to something else easily and see if the game consuming public will bite at that. It beats pouring millions of dollars and many years into a game only to have to shut down your studio because the game gets released too early by a greedy publisher and it's ratings tank. Or worse, having to shut down your studio because your game was a rocking hit with critics but everyone was too cheap to buy it new. For the amount of money and time they would spend on a single bet-the-farm retail release a developer can take 5 or 6 whacks at the F2P crowd.

23. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 12:34 DangerDog

"From the makers of Aliens Colonial Marines..."

At least this way the game should be around for a long time, most of these free-2-play attempts shutdown after a year.

22. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 12:26 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:15:
Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:07:
Kedyn wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:28:
My only question is why isn't there 100 comments already about how excited people are for another Homeworld game?

Because it has little to nothing to do with Homeworld?

I was under the impression it was some of the same devs?

I think so, but it's a completely different type of game.

21. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 12:22 pacbowl

Panickd wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:41:
My only question is why isn't there 100 comments already about how excited people are for another Homeworld game?

Because Homeworld is 14 years old and was so unloved no one snapped it up in the first round of THQ's bankruptcy. The 1.35 million dollars that Gearbox paid for the rights was probably dug up in the cushions of Randy Pitchford's custom designed Borderlands couch. The fact that it sold for so little tells you how much no one cares about yet another spaceship strategy game. The code for the original game was released many years ago and no one did jack with it. How unloved does a game have to be for that to happen?

It may not have sold well, but I definitely wouldn't say it's unloved. In fact I don't think I've ever heard anyone say a bad thing about it. Post anything Homeworld on any gaming forum and suddenly everyone is waxing nostalgic.

20. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 12:14 Verno

Jivaro wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:41:
Seems appropriate to me as well Blue. Then again, I don't instantly get annoyed by things I am not expecting or feel jarred by color schemes. I do find it highly predictable that this particular readership would prefer anything Twitter stay as far away as possible and that you make as few changes as possible in terms of the appearance of the site. Historically, we haven't handled change well.

Hah well, it doesn't offend me or something. I'm always clamoring for more modern features and a better mobile version of the site. That said I can see why it annoys others, it's a large white embed which takes up quite a bit of space to say little. It's also a pretty big clash in terms of the site layout and color scheme but ultimately Blue can make it hot pink if he wants so *shrug*

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

19. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 12:06 Hyatus

It's probably only annoying if someone is adblocking the page. I didn't have a problem with it.  

18. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 11:55 nin

El Pit wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:49:
Blue wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:24:
I take it this has turned out to be a giant problem?

Not at all. It's alright.

(IMO) It does kind of break up the flow of the front page, as opposed to screenshot thumbnails or the like...

But it's not the end of the world (at all).

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 11:49 El Pit

I take it this has turned out to be a giant problem?

Not at all. It's alright.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

16. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 11:41 Panickd

Because Homeworld is 14 years old and was so unloved no one snapped it up in the first round of THQ's bankruptcy. The 1.35 million dollars that Gearbox paid for the rights was probably dug up in the cushions of Randy Pitchford's custom designed Borderlands couch. The fact that it sold for so little tells you how much no one cares about yet another spaceship strategy game. The code for the original game was released many years ago and no one did jack with it. How unloved does a game have to be for that to happen?

15. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 11:40 Burrito of Peace

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:21:
WTF is up with the tweet spooge? This image was impossible to convey in encapsulating text or just a straight up link?

It seemed like using the Twitter embed was the easiest way to provide the context for this. I take it this has turned out to be a giant problem?

Like Verno said, Blue, it is jarring compared to the color scheme and layout of the site. For me, I come to BN for the fact that the news about gaming is easy to find, read and comment on without having to dig through pages of useless and distracting images where everything is either an embed of a video, animated GIF, screencap of some social media site or something else as asinine(coughKotakucough).

14. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 11:15 nin

Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:07:

I was under the impression it was some of the same devs?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 11:10 NKD

Tweet embed? A modern feature? On MY BluesNews?!

Not bad Blue

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

12. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 11:08 Creston

Jivaro wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:41:
I do find it highly predictable that this particular readership would prefer anything Twitter stay as far away as possible and that you make as few changes as possible in terms of the appearance of the site.

I don't mind Twitter, as I can see its (marginal) value as an "announcement" platform. It was more the author of the tweet that I have an issue with.

11. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 11:07 Creston

10. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 11:04 Cutter

I understand it's easier for Blue. I still, however, effing hate Twitter and think it should be a banned service. Also the front page would look horrible if was full of those goddamned things.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo