Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't

Last week it was revealed that Gearbox Software has picked up the rights to HARDWARE: Shipbreakers for release as Homeworld: Shipbreakers, a new installment in the space-based RTS series. Kotaku notes a tweet by Randy Pitchford we missed at the time (thanks nin) where the Gearbox honcho reveals that this means this is no longer planned as a free-to-play game:

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

49. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 17:13 Quboid

JeffD wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 17:02:
I love blues news simply and older layout. It is a refreshing change from all the other sites that load slow because they have 10 million embedded elements and flash applets. I get sick of visiting MMO champion now cause there site is soooo slow loading all those youtube applets.

That said, blue if you read this, your page has NEVER worked right on android phones! No matter what browser I use, the blue backdrop never comes through, makes it impossible to read yellow text.

I have no problems there. I just tried it with the latest Chrome stable release and it's worked with older Chromes and the previous default browser fine. Some font sizes are a bit funky (e.g. headlines are small) but that's very minor.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 17:06 Overon

Don't trust Randy Pitchford. Remember Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens Colonial Marines.  

47. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 17:02 JeffD

I love blues news simply and older layout. It is a refreshing change from all the other sites that load slow because they have 10 million embedded elements and flash applets. I get sick of visiting MMO champion now cause there site is soooo slow loading all those youtube applets.

That said, blue if you read this, your page has NEVER worked right on android phones! No matter what browser I use, the blue backdrop never comes through, makes it impossible to read yellow text.

As for the post at hand, no problem. Its an RTS so selling it like a normal game is fine. Just price is accordingly, you don't have a big RTS crowd.

46. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 16:55 Kosumo

Is it just me, or has Blue now changed it so that it's more in stlye with the rest of the site now? (I first veiwed it this morning on my phone and it stuck out like a *)

* Stripper at a midnight mass.
* Black 42 year old man and a Justin Bevier concert.
* please add your own.
* CoD player in minecraft

45. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 16:52 Krovven

Kinda sad the complaints about Blue embedding a relevant Twitter reference is overshadowing the story topic.

44. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 16:40 Morgan19

Why not just keep it as an in-story link to the tweets like you would any other news/story/article/whatever?  

43. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 16:35 Axis

It's just not bluesy.

Plus I prefer the days of blue and voodooextreme when there wasn't a massive social mess and a constant reminder of it.

Yours truly,

Axis

42. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 16:18 Quboid

Verno wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:32:
Blue wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:24:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:21:
WTF is up with the tweet spooge? This image was impossible to convey in encapsulating text or just a straight up link?

It seemed like using the Twitter embed was the easiest way to provide the context for this. I take it this has turned out to be a giant problem?

It's a bit jarring given the color scheme for the rest of the site.

That's my problem with it, it jumps out at me. It jumps out much more than anything else, including ads, and forces my eye its way every time it comes on screen.

I'm not against Twitter (it's just a communication tool, as with all social media idiots on Twitter are the problem) and I'm not against new-fangled things like embeds when appropriate but a medium sized dark-on-light embed sticks out like a sore thumb. If it was light-on-dark, like the rest of the site, I don't think I'd have a problem with it.

Edit: FWIW, like embedded videos I don't particularly mind this on the item's share page (click on news story's headline, does anyone even use that?) or the comments page, as Morgan19 suggests.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2013, 16:48.

- Quboid

41. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 16:05 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 15:47:
Hmmm, couldn't figure out how that post got hosed up...

The reply started with a q which might have opened a new quote or closed a nested quote I assume, its happened to me a few times.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

40. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 15:47 Mr. Tact

Hmmm, couldn't figure out how that post got hosed up...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

39. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 15:45 nin

Parias wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 15:36:
Panickd wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:41:
The fact that it sold for so little tells you how much no one cares about yet another spaceship strategy game.

I care. =\

Was this the one that went for like $6000? Or was that freespace?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

38. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Sep 9, 2013, 15:44 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 14:07
uite frankly the only reason it sticks out like a sore thumb is because the layout here is absolutely archaic. And I don't say this as a trendwhore. I generally hate web redesigns. But at this stage of the game, it might be warranted. I'd even pitch in some cash to help get it done. [/quote:

Archaic? Pfft. Try classic, or even more accurate: clear and useful.

Don't change a thing Blue, we love like it is.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

37. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 15:36 Verno

And yes, a binding resolution that classifies Twitter on par with biochemical warfare agents, and authorizes NATO force against any country that uses it.

Authorizes NATO force....so no force at all then?

So is Gearbox essentially acting as a publisher for this game then BTW? I haven't been following things with it.

36. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 15:36 Parias

Panickd wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:41:
The fact that it sold for so little tells you how much no one cares about yet another spaceship strategy game.

I care. =\

35. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 15:34 theglaze

vrok wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 15:29:
The design is the reason I stayed with Blue's and started ignoring every other gaming website. They have too much clutter and random fluff, and put stuff in seemingly random places. Blue's design focuses on quick and easy to digest information and as such can also fit more of it in the same space. It's the perfect bullet point list of news and links for everything I need to know about gaming in general.

Exactly. I've converted a few people to Blue too.

34. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 15:33 Cutter

Beamer wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 15:06:
Cutter wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:04:
I understand it's easier for Blue. I still, however, effing hate Twitter and think it should be a banned service. Also the front page would look horrible if was full of those goddamned things.

Banned? Like, you think the UN should pass a treaty forbidding it from existing?

Is this literally old man yelling at a cloud [based service.]

More like old man yelling at a chair - apples and oranges you see. And yes, a binding resolution that classifies Twitter on par with biochemical warfare agents, and authorizes NATO force against any country that uses it. Kids are basically semi-literate these days as it is. Crap like Twitter and texting only make it worse. And I'm sure ADD has skyrocketed since its inception.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

33. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 15:33 Verno

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 15:15:
c'mon it pops too much? It doesn't "fit" with the site layout? There's your context, nitpicking about something so trivial and ridiculous it needs not even be debated.

Nope fail, the context was in response to another users complaint. Also given that a large majority of news related stuff happens on twitter these days I don't think Burrito was nitpicking to voice his thoughts on twitter embeds, many people come here precisely because its low on that sort of volume.

32. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 15:29 vrok

NKD wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 14:07:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 12:50:
Oh nos Blue used a twitter embed QQQQQQQQ. Jesus really people?

Quite frankly the only reason it sticks out like a sore thumb is because the layout here is absolutely archaic. And I don't say this as a trendwhore. I generally hate web redesigns. But at this stage of the game, it might be warranted. I'd even pitch in some cash to help get it done.
The design is the reason I stayed with Blue's and started ignoring every other gaming website. They have too much clutter and random fluff, and put stuff in seemingly random places. Blue's design focuses on quick and easy to digest information and as such can also fit more of it in the same space. It's the perfect bullet point list of news and links for everything I need to know about gaming in general.

I suppose a redesign doesn't have to diverge from that concept, but looking at practically all websites that are out there today, I will remain skeptical for now.

31. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 15:20 SpectralMeat

Cutter wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:04:
I understand it's easier for Blue. I still, however, effing hate Twitter and think it should be a banned service.
It is not that bad.
Makes the day go by faster with some entertainment like : https://twitter.com/JRhodesPianist/status/376996502373429248

Steam: SpectralMeat

30. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 15:15 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 14:20:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 12:50:
Oh nos Blue used a twitter embed QQQQQQQQ. Jesus really people?

Context is important. Also you actually thought, typed and then posted "QQ" in a non-ironic manner, way worse offense.

c'mon it pops too much? It doesn't "fit" with the site layout? There's your context, nitpicking about something so trivial and ridiculous it needs not even be debated.

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo