Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't

Last week it was revealed that Gearbox Software has picked up the rights to HARDWARE: Shipbreakers for release as Homeworld: Shipbreakers, a new installment in the space-based RTS series. Kotaku notes a tweet by Randy Pitchford we missed at the time (thanks nin) where the Gearbox honcho reveals that this means this is no longer planned as a free-to-play game:

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

69. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 10, 2013, 07:18 Redmask

The tweets look ugly as hell on the site to me and take up too much space. I don't want to literally read my news from twitter either, why wouldn't I just go there otherwise? A link to the tweets worked in the past, why change it?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 10, 2013, 00:45 Fantaz

NKD wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 14:07:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 12:50:
Oh nos Blue used a twitter embed QQQQQQQQ. Jesus really people?

Quite frankly the only reason it sticks out like a sore thumb is because the layout here is absolutely archaic. And I don't say this as a trendwhore. I generally hate web redesigns. But at this stage of the game, it might be warranted. I'd even pitch in some cash to help get it done.

don't change the layout, or if Blue does he should at least have an option to revert back to the old traditional way. old guys like us just don't want to adapt to something different when it's perfectly fine the way it is...

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 15:15:
Verno wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 14:20:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 12:50:
Oh nos Blue used a twitter embed QQQQQQQQ. Jesus really people?

Context is important. Also you actually thought, typed and then posted "QQ" in a non-ironic manner, way worse offense.

c'mon it pops too much? It doesn't "fit" with the site layout? There's your context, nitpicking about something so trivial and ridiculous it needs not even be debated.

this.

67. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 22:34 Creston

Ratty wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 20:13:
ForgedReality wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 18:15:
@Blue RE: Jarring Twitter Embed

I messed around with Firebug for a couple minutes and created this custom style on the Twitter embed. I don't know how easy or possible this would be from your CSS styles, or directly within the embed call, and you might have to use things like !important, but I think the current embed could benefit from such a restyling so it doesn't look out of place.

http://i.imgur.com/4b1ORe6.png
Hey, I like that!

That gets my vote!

66. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 20:22 Slashman

What is it with the double helping of Shadow Warrior coupons from Steam?  

65. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 20:17 Ray Marden

Guys? Is the site working? Can you see this? I'm not sure if the site is working right now - it's displaying a giant twitter advertisement instead of new sto...oh, wait.

I do prefer the older, more simple layout of the site, but the site could definitely use some updating and could use some new, varied posters.

I'm not against this thing, but it really should be re-colored to match the site and shrunken down. After all, isn't the point of twitter, other than narcissism, to get a point across in a minimal amount of words/space? This tweet bubble is easily four times the size of the actual news item.
Can we please just work on a Homeworld remake?
Having received another 10% Shadow Warrior coupon on Steam,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

64. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 20:13 Ratty

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 18:15:

I messed around with Firebug for a couple minutes and created this custom style on the Twitter embed. I don't know how easy or possible this would be from your CSS styles, or directly within the embed call, and you might have to use things like !important, but I think the current embed could benefit from such a restyling so it doesn't look out of place.

Hey, I like that!

63. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 20:08 nin

Cutter wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 19:50:
nin wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:55:
El Pit wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:49:
Blue wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:24:
I take it this has turned out to be a giant problem?

Not at all. It's alright.

(IMO) It does kind of break up the flow of the front page, as opposed to screenshot thumbnails or the like...

But it's not the end of the world (at all).

Remember this peeps! If the world ends we can all look in nin and Blue's direction.

Raincloud

World can't end until after GTA goes live...not allowed!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

62. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 20:03 Quboid

I think we all knew they would to blame anyway

I came back to my computer with the comments page loaded - I thought the tweet was a Google Talk window that had popped up and someone had messaged me.

- Quboid

61. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 19:50 Cutter

nin wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:55:
El Pit wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:49:
Blue wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:24:
I take it this has turned out to be a giant problem?

Not at all. It's alright.

(IMO) It does kind of break up the flow of the front page, as opposed to screenshot thumbnails or the like...

But it's not the end of the world (at all).

Remember this peeps! If the world ends we can all look in nin and Blue's direction.

Raincloud

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

60. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 19:42 bigspender

Taskeen wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 18:56:
Randy PItchfraud, meh.

Homeworld, yeh!

Randy Pitchfraud...

+1

they'll probably outsource it to cheap offshore labor while they work on borderlands 3

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

59. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 19:32 eRe4s3r

The same people don't give a single damn about a Homeworld on the GROUND. Homeworld is about space. Also a game with Gearbox anywhere near it is an automatic no buy for me until way after release...

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2013, 19:42.

58. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 19:18 Quboid

Jivaro wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 18:35:
I never knew you all were so color and style conscious. When I move into my new house I will make sure to hit you all up for interior decorating tips.

Don't bother asking me, I only know this stuff because I live here. In the physical world, I barely know what colour my curtains are. Sort of green with flower patterns, IIRC.

- Quboid

57. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 19:18 Prez

I hate virtually all F2P games (though Path of Exile is almost okay) but that wasn't why this project doesn't seem like it should have the Homeworld name. Maybe they will surprise me but right now it just seems like it is a Homeworkd game in name only.

And yes, lots of people care about the property. The source files weren't used because the games were so easily moddable (though modders use HW 2 almost exclusively now because the engine is superior). Head over to www.moddb.com and see the huge mods that have been released for HW2. It is still quite relevant.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

56. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 19:17 Prez

Deleted double post  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

55. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 18:56 Taskeen

Randy PItchfraud, meh.

Homeworld, yeh!

Randy Pitchfraud...

54. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 18:43 Redmask

Krovven wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 16:52:
Kinda sad the complaints about Blue embedding a relevant Twitter reference is overshadowing the story topic.

If anything it's probably directing more attention to the crux of the story. I have it drilled into my head now that the game isn't F2P.

53. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 18:42 ForgedReality

Jivaro wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 18:35:
I never knew you all were so color and style conscious. When I move into my new house I will make sure to hit you all up for interior decorating tips.

Hah! Well, for me, as someone else already mentioned, it's so different, it looks like an ad or something at first. It's kind of disruptive to the normal flow of the site and makes it feel a little less quick and easy to scroll through a "bulleted list," as someone else described it.

52. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 18:35 Jivaro

51. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 18:15 ForgedReality

50. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 18:14 djinn

vrok wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 15:29:
The design is the reason I stayed with Blue's and started ignoring every other gaming website. They have too much clutter and random fluff, and put stuff in seemingly random places. Blue's design focuses on quick and easy to digest information and as such can also fit more of it in the same space. It's the perfect bullet point list of news and links for everything I need to know about gaming in general.

I suppose a redesign doesn't have to diverge from that concept, but looking at practically all websites that are out there today, I will remain skeptical for now.

Same. Shack lost me when they went with the pop design a couple of years ago. Petty? Probably. I just can't stomach it anymore.

[edit] punctuation

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo