Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 9, 2013, 22:28 ViRGE

Jivaro wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:55:
Yeah, I am onboard for the Vita TV as well. I dig my Vita and have gotten a lot of use out of it. Anybody buy Dragons Crown btw? Curious what folks thought of it around here.
It's a great game. The level of repetition will bother some people (since it's hand drawn there's only 9 dungeons) but I've thoroughly enjoyed it all the same.

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 13:31:
I think they are removing the OLED screen to make it cheaper. Sony is really into getting people to adopt the Vita for use with the PS4, and one way they are doing it is by offering cheaper and cheaper Vitas.
It stands to reason that any LCD will be cheaper than the OLED screen they currently use, though by how much is anyone's guess. But given the battery life constraints I strongly suspect that the change is also about power savings. OLED's are great on dark colors, but ramping up the intensity of the subpixels really puts the squeeze on power consumption. For bright, colorful games (which given Sony's casual pivot will become more common), an LCD is going to draw less power than an OLED, potentially a lot less if the new Vita uses a TN panel (as opposed to IPS).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 9, 2013, 18:11 Julio

Disappointment with Vita losing the OLED screen, as that's one of the major features. Still trying to find reasons to buy a Vita, it needs more content.

$10/month is way too much for 'limited unlimited' ebooks, the library with overdrive is more effective and I already pay for it.

14. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 9, 2013, 17:15 Beamer

avianflu wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 16:46:
The Vita TV is a genuine surprise -- it will be interesting to see if consumers readily adopt it.

I didn't really pay close attention - it's a small box that costs $95, pairs with your existing PS3 controller (or needs to be bought separately), does Amazon/Hulu/Netflix, and does PSP/PS1/Vita games?

Sounds pretty interesting. I can't imagine I'd ever touch the PSP or PS1 games, unless they were under $2 (and even then), but the Vita may make it worth the money over a Roku.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 9, 2013, 16:46 avianflu

The Vita TV is a genuine surprise -- it will be interesting to see if consumers readily adopt it.  

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 9, 2013, 14:13 Jivaro

As a person with a secondary TV in the bedroom, a Vita, and a planned PS4 hooked up to the TV in the living room...the Vita TV is exactly the device I would want and the price seems completely reasonable.  

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 9, 2013, 14:11 Jivaro

LurkerLito wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 12:59:
I like Dragons Crown, though on the vita, there is slowdown when there is a lot going onscreen. And the small size of the screen makes me lose where my character is sometimes. It's very much like the old type Final Fight like game, there are several areas, but are always the same and you replay them over and over to do the "quests". There are various take Path A or B paths, that change it a little bit, but for the most part you are playing the same levels you visited before again. There is the aRPG-ish aspects to it with loot, and buying spells and I guess skills for warrior classes, but no points distribution. The inventory system is a bit convoluted IMHO, for example, you can only look at the loot you have found at the end of the level or in town, so you won't know if you got good gear till then, and can't use it till the next level. You can get multiple bags where you can setup different weapons and armor, but you can't change your bags except at town or at one of the branch points in a level. You can equip multiple weapons in a single bag, but that eats up a bag slot, so something else will be reduced, like armor or healing potions.

Thanks!

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 9, 2013, 13:31 Agent.X7

I think they are removing the OLED screen to make it cheaper. Sony is really into getting people to adopt the Vita for use with the PS4, and one way they are doing it is by offering cheaper and cheaper Vitas.

I won't get rid of my AC special edition white Vita now because I too love the OLED screen.

Also been playing Dragon's Crown. It's something to do between customers, but it's not fantastic or anything. My biggest bitch about the Vita is still the lack of quality titles. Uncharted was awesome, Sly Cooper was really good, but I haven't really seen anything since that made me really want it. I've been playing th ebeta of Killzone Mercs and it's really "meh."

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 9, 2013, 13:11 Beamer

Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:11:
Also, my nearest library is 17 miles and 8 traffic lights away. I'll take an e-library.

My e-library also lacks other people's hair, boogers, sneezes, coffee stains, and god knows what else.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 9, 2013, 12:59 LurkerLito

Jivaro wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:55:
Yeah, I am onboard for the Vita TV as well. I dig my Vita and have gotten a lot of use out of it. Anybody buy Dragons Crown btw? Curious what folks thought of it around here.

I like Dragons Crown, though on the vita, there is slowdown when there is a lot going onscreen. And the small size of the screen makes me lose where my character is sometimes. It's very much like the old type Final Fight like game, there are several areas, but are always the same and you replay them over and over to do the "quests". There are various take Path A or B paths, that change it a little bit, but for the most part you are playing the same levels you visited before again. There is the aRPG-ish aspects to it with loot, and buying spells and I guess skills for warrior classes, but no points distribution. The inventory system is a bit convoluted IMHO, for example, you can only look at the loot you have found at the end of the level or in town, so you won't know if you got good gear till then, and can't use it till the next level. You can get multiple bags where you can setup different weapons and armor, but you can't change your bags except at town or at one of the branch points in a level. You can equip multiple weapons in a single bag, but that eats up a bag slot, so something else will be reduced, like armor or healing potions.

PS Vita TV, I have no interest in. Honestly I think removing the OLED is a mistake. The current Vita screen is gorgeous and it's the one thing I wouldn't change about the Vita. Finally getting a standard Micro USB port, it should have been that way from the beginning. I would have considered selling my Vita for a new one if it wasn't for the OLED change.

Yeah Memory wise, I have a 32GB card already and I seriously want the 64GB one, but WTF. I paid 80 for my 32GB card at the time and I was really kind of upset given that a microSDHC 64GB card was dirt cheap in comparison. Sony really needs to stop gouging it's customers on the memory cards. People buying these large memory cards are usually the ones buying digital games direct from PSN.

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 9, 2013, 11:11 Creston

Pumas wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:06:
My dream library: Unlimited real books for $0 a month.

I believe they're calling this concept "a library". It's been around for a few years now.

Realistically, it's not costing you 0 dollars a month. A public library is paid for out of public funds, which are budgeted with your tax dollars.

Also, my nearest library is 17 miles and 8 traffic lights away. I'll take an e-library.

6. Re: Transaction costs Sep 9, 2013, 11:10 Creston

Enahs wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:53:
Microsoft bought them because it increases there patent portfolio.

That makes about ten billion times more sense than saying it's because of "transaction costs."

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 9, 2013, 11:06 Pumas

My dream library: Unlimited real books for $0 a month.

I believe they're calling this concept "a library". It's been around for a few years now.

How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 9, 2013, 10:55 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:01:
The PS Vita TV seems like a really cool execution. Everything the Ouya wanted to be and utterly failed at. Lets you play Vita games on the TV using a Dual Shock 3 (or presumably a DS4), use Netflix/Hulu on that TV and connects to the PS4 as well. For $100 that seems like a pretty good deal.

The other new Vita model drops the OLED screen for an LCD and loses the AR/Touch Screen stuff. They still can't price a memory card to save their life though, the friggin PS Vita TV is cheaper than the 64GB memory card they just announced.

Edit: oh and the Vita TV plays PS One Classics and PSP games too, nice.

3. Re: Transaction costs Sep 9, 2013, 10:53 Enahs

Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:15:
Really? Microsoft spent what was it... 10 billion dollars? to counter the few hundred grand that goes with having to have some meetings and draw up some contracts?

And that's assuming you even believe the transaction cost theory in the first place (remember people, just because a Nobel Prize winner said something doesn't make it true,) and in this day and age of the mega-conglomerates, it's increasingly a non-issue. Microsoft and Nokia already have lawyers and notaries and the likes on the payroll, so making these guys do some work for their salaries doesn't somehow magically make hidden costs appear.

In any case, it's a doomed venture, much like basically every Microsoft hardware venture has been a doomed venture.

Microsoft bought them because it increases there patent portfolio. Nokia had a very large patent portfolio when it comes to mobile phones. It gives Microsoft huge leveraging power over other companies when negotiating. And, depending on the phone manufacture, in many cases Microsoft is making more money from patent royalties on Android phones sold then Google is! This does not account for the ecosystem, just the actual hardware unit sold.

And I really am loving the Surface and the new Windows Phones. I hope they do well!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

2. Transaction costs Sep 9, 2013, 10:15 Creston

Really? Microsoft spent what was it... 10 billion dollars? to counter the few hundred grand that goes with having to have some meetings and draw up some contracts?

And that's assuming you even believe the transaction cost theory in the first place (remember people, just because a Nobel Prize winner said something doesn't make it true,) and in this day and age of the mega-conglomerates, it's increasingly a non-issue. Microsoft and Nokia already have lawyers and notaries and the likes on the payroll, so making these guys do some work for their salaries doesn't somehow magically make hidden costs appear.

In any case, it's a doomed venture, much like basically every Microsoft hardware venture has been a doomed venture.

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 9, 2013, 10:01 Verno

The PS Vita TV seems like a really cool execution. Everything the Ouya wanted to be and utterly failed at. Lets you play Vita games on the TV using a Dual Shock 3 (or presumably a DS4), use Netflix/Hulu on that TV and connects to the PS4 as well. For $100 that seems like a pretty good deal.

The other new Vita model drops the OLED screen for an LCD and loses the AR/Touch Screen stuff. They still can't price a memory card to save their life though, the friggin PS Vita TV is cheaper than the 64GB memory card they just announced.

Edit: oh and the Vita TV plays PS One Classics and PSP games too, nice.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2013, 10:18.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo