Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: etc. Sep 11, 2013, 09:30 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 04:18:
nin wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 18:16:
OK, looks like $149.99, free shipping, but $12.77 in tax. So $162.76 total.

Now ship that fucker, R*!!!!!!

Just fired up GTA4 to get ready....

I did that for a bit, but I don't want to get burnt out before it even gets here. Temporary hiatus.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: etc. Sep 11, 2013, 04:18 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 18:16:

Just fired up GTA4 to get ready....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

21. Re: etc. Sep 10, 2013, 18:16 nin

20. Re: etc. Sep 10, 2013, 14:06 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 08:46:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 00:26:
Saw the first bus ad on my way home. Awesome. I CAN'T WAIT!@!!!!

Quit reading stuff about the game a couple weeks ago.

nin - i posted n another thread, but might be lost - did you get charged shipping or tax on R* warehouse? I paid almost 15.00 extra for tax on my $149 edition.

I'll have to look at home tonight - their warehouse is sorely lacking in details, specifically a total. I want to say it was like $160-ish?

Yea, probably free ship and hit you with tax.....oh well. fuggem! I can't wait! I am picking up my copy at midnight (don't work for 2 nights after) and downloading the ps3 version (pissed I can't preload).

I am sure it will be a 20 minute download on the 360 anyway after putting the disc in.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

19. Re: etc. Sep 10, 2013, 08:46 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 00:26:

nin - i posted n another thread, but might be lost - did you get charged shipping or tax on R* warehouse? I paid almost 15.00 extra for tax on my $149 edition.

I'll have to look at home tonight - their warehouse is sorely lacking in details, specifically a total. I want to say it was like $160-ish?

18. Re: etc. Sep 10, 2013, 03:22 Ash

Didn't EA spent more on developing and marketing Star Wars: The Old Republic?  

17. Re: etc. Sep 10, 2013, 02:55 aesir05

65 million to develop the game over 4 years doesn't seem like a lot unless the employees get shit pay

R* with 100 employees getting an average of 150k would mean 60mil over 4 years. that leaves no room for licences. Which means they probably got paid like 60-80k averaged out

edit: checked and it seems 80k is the industry average for game devs, with programmers getting the highest pay and QA getting the lowest (90 and 50k)

16. Re: etc. Sep 10, 2013, 00:26 xXBatmanXx

15. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2013, 22:31 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 18:34:
Even at that cost, they only have to sell what, 10 million to break even? They're going to end up doing 3-4 times that probably.

They'll break even in the first week, or likely on opening day. They'll easily clear 20 million copies sold, and they may genuinely make it to 30-35 million copies sold with this one because of the mp content. GTA4 already broke 20+ million.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2013, 22:45.

14. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2013, 22:23 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 16:48:
Don't forget every npc has dialog as well, so the voice work is a good portion of that.
Not even sure why they need marketing, Both Sony and MS will push it as day 1 purchases for the new systems.

I considered voice acting just part of the development cost. But yeah, that's a pretty decent chunk of change. The reason Rockstar doesn't get "famous" voice actors is because they have so much dialogue that the cost would get stratospheric.

As for marketing, GTA5 will not be available for the 180 or PS4 (at least not yet), so I doubt MS and Sony will do much pushing.

WaltC, sorry, but you're just plain wrong. It's fine if you want to believe that it didn't cost that much, no shirt off my back, but R* already broke the 50+ million dollar development budget with GTA4, which looks to be tiny in comparison to GTA5.

I'm also with the guy who thinks a company would be beyond foolish to spend this kind of money on development of a single game..

Yeah, spending 250 million on a game only to get 20+ million sales off of it is just STUPID BUSINESS!

What?

Beamer wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 17:59:
GTA5 probably has a team of 250-400 people. Who have been working on this game for at least 4 years?

It's far more than that. According to this article, 80% of all of Rockstar at least did some work on the game.

" Grand Theft Auto V arrives after four years of development, a 1,000-page script, months of motion and voice capture, and a process that saw 80 per cent of the ever-growing company Ė eight international studios and counting Ė involved in recreating a fully functioning metropolis based closely on Los Angeles. "

And then something I'd already alluded to earlier, just the amount of time they spent in LA:

" "We spent a minimum of 100 days in Los Angeles on research trips, probably more," "

And that's a team of people that were there, not just two guys with a camera. The production/dev costs on this game are incredible. To be honest, I think the 265 million total sum might even be low.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2013, 22:28.

13. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2013, 18:34 jacobvandy

Even at that cost, they only have to sell what, 10 million to break even? They're going to end up doing 3-4 times that probably.  

12. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2013, 17:59 Beamer

WaltC wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 17:32:
Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 12:29:
Zyrxil wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:40:
I don't know about those ratios, I remember COD:MW3 had something like 50 million development budget and 200 million marketing budget.

I seriously doubt you get a team of that many people building that much content for just 50 million bucks. I'd reckon in actual story missions alone, GTA is probably five to ten times bigger than CoD, and then you get the entire world which needs to be hand-built.

Many single-player games offer hundreds of hours of "content" and cost nowhere near even $50M, including marketing. I'm with the guy who thinks that if there is any reality to this figure at all (very doubtful) then 80%-90% of it is being spent on marketing. I'm also with the guy who thinks a company would be beyond foolish to spend this kind of money on development of a single game...;) Insane, maybe. A huge target for stockholder lawsuits, etc. It is likely not even close to being true, imo.

You're the guy that's wrong.
I really can't think of a better way to put it. Simply creating the world GTA5 takes place in costs millions upon millions of dollars. Someone needs to create the engine that can handle it. Someone needs to individually place every single polygon. Someone needs to individually draw every single texture. Someone needs to individually paint every single texture. Someone needs to get creative in using as few textures and polygons as possible without looking like it repeats. Someone needs to run around and make sure there are no missing textures, misaligned textures, clipping errors, invisible walls, etc.

This is before you even get to any actual game, which would require doing much of the same for cars, motion capturing people modeling people, editing the motion capture to look better in a game, creating the textures, painting the model, QA testing it, adding the physics, adding the controls, renting the studio, casting the actors, recording the actors, editing the recordings, timing the recordings, writing the script, etc.

GTA4 came out, what, in 2008? 5 years ago? GTA5 probably has a team of 250-400 people. Who have been working on this game for at least 4 years?

It's always so weird to me how many people love this industry and have strong opinions about it yet never got even slightly educated to how much it costs to create a very vast and graphically detailed open world game.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2013, 17:32 WaltC

Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 12:29:
I don't know about those ratios, I remember COD:MW3 had something like 50 million development budget and 200 million marketing budget.

I seriously doubt you get a team of that many people building that much content for just 50 million bucks. I'd reckon in actual story missions alone, GTA is probably five to ten times bigger than CoD, and then you get the entire world which needs to be hand-built.

Many single-player games offer hundreds of hours of "content" and cost nowhere near even $50M, including marketing. I'm with the guy who thinks that if there is any reality to this figure at all (very doubtful) then 80%-90% of it is being spent on marketing. I'm also with the guy who thinks a company would be beyond foolish to spend this kind of money on development of a single game...;) Insane, maybe. A huge target for stockholder lawsuits, etc. It is likely not even close to being true, imo.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

10. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2013, 16:48 The Half Elf

Don't forget every npc has dialog as well, so the voice work is a good portion of that.
Not even sure why they need marketing, Both Sony and MS will push it as day 1 purchases for the new systems.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2013, 16:40 Darks

I donít understand why a game or any game for that matter needs to cost this much to make and market. The whole point for a publisher is to make money, not flush it down the drain and hope you get the sales needed to make a profit.

Smart business is, making a game for as little as possible and turning it into a big profit.

This is not smart business. In fact itís utterly insane!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

8. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2013, 12:29 Creston

7. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2013, 12:20 Ozmodan

If GTA 5 really cost that much to produce then the idiots managing the project need to find other work. Amazing how good technical people can be so obtuse when it comes to managing development funds.  

6. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2013, 11:59 WyldKat

A LOT of that budget is going into advertising. I mean they have building sizes adverts all over major cities in the US and Europe (maybe more than I know of).

As for a PC version, I strongly suspect we will get one, but we won't get one until they release an enhanced edition for the next-gen consoles. Makes sense really.

Also it seems like they have a lot riding on GTA Online, so they will want it on as many systems as possible.

I preordered for a console because I love the series too much to wait, this is the one and only franchise I would ever buy twice like that.

5. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2013, 11:40 Zyrxil

4. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2013, 11:14 Creston

NKD wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:10:
$65 for development, $200 for marketing, $0 for PC port?

I would guess around 30-50 million dollars for music licensing, around 100 - 120 million dollars for development and ancillary costs (they were sending teams to L.A. for four straight years, basically) and the rest in marketing.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo