Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DayZ Video Blog

The DayZ blog now features a new video developer's blog from Bohemia Interactive's upcoming standalone game based on the DayZ mod for Arma II. The accompanying blurb says: "The showcase this time is on usability progress from player feedback at Gamescom, demonstration of the degradation and item damage system, ballistic vests, and even player restraints!" There's a little more in the description of the clip: "This devblog Rocket goes through some of the updates and progress completed in the last couple of weeks, ending with some information about progress on multiplayer optimization that we are waiting for before releasing the Alpha."

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 10, 2013, 09:43 J

I'll just leave this here: Seven days to die  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 9, 2013, 18:02 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 02:59:
DayZ was already using ArmA2 as a base. Porting it over to ArmA3 would have taken a lot more work.
The work would have been worth it.

MeanJim on Steam

12. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 9, 2013, 03:33 jacobvandy

They're using what's unofficially referred to as the ARMA 2.5 engine, which was the base for Take On Helicopters.  

11. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 9, 2013, 02:59 Jerykk

jimnms wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 00:44:
I don't understand why they didn't go with the ArmA III engine for this. There were already early videos of ArmA III before they announced they were doing a stand alone game.

DayZ was already using ArmA2 as a base. Porting it over to ArmA3 would have taken a lot more work.

10. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 9, 2013, 00:44 jimnms

I don't understand why they didn't go with the ArmA III engine for this. There were already early videos of ArmA III before they announced they were doing a stand alone game.  

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 8, 2013, 22:33 Rhett

Longswd wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 19:04:
I don't really understand this game. I've tuned into several different Twitch streams but all I ever see is some guy running alone across a seemingly endless landscape punctuated with an occasional house ruin.

The few times said streamer meets another person it ends badly for one of them.

Maybe all the streamers suck, I dunno but I've tried watching more than a few.

Try watching some of Frankie's DayZ videos for a better example of how DayZ typically plays out. Some of his videos are from DayZ Mods (the later ones), but most of them are vanilla.

I like all the changes so far to standalone, but I wonder if maybe the inventory's getting a little too complex now? I hope it becomes more intuitive. Can't really sit around in DayZ and fiddle with your inventory, unless you're truly in a safe spot out in the woods.

8. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 8, 2013, 19:04 Longswd

I don't really understand this game. I've tuned into several different Twitch streams but all I ever see is some guy running alone across a seemingly endless landscape punctuated with an occasional house ruin.

The few times said streamer meets another person it ends badly for one of them.

Maybe all the streamers suck, I dunno but I've tried watching more than a few.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2013, 18:06 Jerykk

I think the best incentive to not shoot on sight is to give players stuff to build (which the devs are already working on). When players feel like they are working towards a common goal, they are far less likely to kill each other.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2013, 17:25 Rigs

So is there a Bluesnews group server that some of us can get together on yet? I've been holding out on Dayz myself, not for the standalone, but because the Zombie-apocalypse-type setting just didn't interest me...until now. Guess I just had to come around to it. I generally shun things that are 'mainstream' until well after the coolness factor has worn off a bit. Well, that and I've heard the horror stories of the idiots on there so given I get enough of that dealing with RealLife(tm), I'm more interested in playing with a group that's generally opposed to such antics...most of the time, anyway...(All bets are off when GTA5 comes out, though! )

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

5. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 8, 2013, 15:34 Narf2029

Moog wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 15:31:
So item damage/degredation is meant to stop KOS play-style?

I don't think so!

The griefers will continue to shoot anything that moves and probably enjoy it even more, knowing that your stuff is also destroyed now, too!

Yeah. Doesn't matter what state the gear is in when they're just going to pee on it anyway.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

4. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 8, 2013, 15:31 Moog

So item damage/degredation is meant to stop KOS play-style?

I don't think so!

The griefers will continue to shoot anything that moves and probably enjoy it even more, knowing that your stuff is also destroyed now, too!

3. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 8, 2013, 15:05 Aero

I haven't played any of the DayZ stuff (I was sort of waiting for the standalone to be complete), but I really like all the ideas going into this. It probably won't be my thing in the end, but I have a lot of respect for it.

I can see how it probably will all fall apart in practice on a public server, but I like some of the concepts. I see Molyneaux (in principle at least with Godus) taking a similar approach to idiots and griefing by making that part of the gameplay. The real-life socially mal-adjusted borderline sociopaths that normally plague other games, could be perfectly in character here.

2. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 8, 2013, 12:31 Fibrocyte

Techie714 wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 12:17:
I love the concepts & ideas of Day Z but after playing ARMA III I just can't handle the graphics of ARMA II. It's not like a minor improvement from ARMA II it's a HUGE improvement. Like going graphically from Battlefield 2 to Battlefield 3...lol. As soon as this gets ported to ARMA III I'm all in.

Graphics aren't the only factor. Using your BF2/3 example, I had far more fun playing BF1942 than I did Battlefield 2 or Battlefield 3.

All that aside, this game has been pushed back so far that it will be trumped by the competition.

1. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 8, 2013, 12:17 Techie714

I love the concepts & ideas of Day Z but after playing ARMA III I just can't handle the graphics of ARMA II. It's not like a minor improvement from ARMA II it's a HUGE improvement. Like going graphically from Battlefield 2 to Battlefield 3...lol. As soon as this gets ported to ARMA III I'm all in.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo