Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Valve offers the following list of the ten bestselling games on Steam for the past week:

1. Total War: ROME II
  2. PAYDAY 2
  3. Metro: Last Light
  4. Outlast
  5. Saints Row IV
  6. Garry's Mod
  7. Sid Meier's Civilization V Brave New World
  8. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist
  9. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
  10. The Walking Dead

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 9, 2013, 23:22 Jerykk

Outlast was pretty good, though the beginning of the game is significantly scarier than the rest. It doesn't take long to figure out the mechanics and once you do, success becomes more of a routine than anything else. Still, the atmosphere is great and the story is generally interesting. They did a great job with the camcorder implementation as well.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 9, 2013, 17:50 Quinn

Anyone here who loved Amnesia? Buy Outlast!

The game is FUCKING. AWESOME! in a FUCKING. SCARY! kinda way! I can't believe nobody mentioned the game yet. It's actually so good, good looking and scary, that I hope Amnesia 2 won't be overshadowed by it...!

Great game if you wanna get uncomfortably scared. Playing this game gets my adrenaline pumping so much I'll actually be losing weight.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 9, 2013, 08:49 nin

.net_Drifter wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 00:27:
nin wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 11:47:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 09:49:
Week 3 no Skyrim. The world is a darker place....

Indeed. Payday still seems to be raking it in, which is nice.

Think I've finally decided I like SR3 better than 4. Both are good/fun, but some of the magic seems to have gotten lost along the way.

I had more fun with SR 4 than SR 3, mainly due to the superpowers, and while I'm satisfied with it, I agree something was lost. I think the superpowers pretty much rendered some of the activities irrelevant that, in SR 3, were fun and had a purpose, such as collecting cars. I had a great time hunting down and collecting them in SR 3, but in SR 4? No need, once you got superspeed. No need for helicopters or planes once you got glide leveled up a bit. Heck, I didn't even use half the weapons since I didn't need to. Missions seemed a bit stinted too, in that first you're doing full rescue sequences, then BAM suddenly everyone is just showing up on your ship after the first part. Overall, it felt more like a padded mod than a sequel.
That being said, it was still one of the most satisfying games I've played this year. The ending, though . . .

I had some of the same gripes...some people you actually went and busted them out, while others you just did a mission with, and then they magically show up on the ship. I don't know if volition felt that doing the "bust out" missions got repetitive, or what. If anything, I would have take more mech combat.

Like you, I also miss the dedicated side missions, instead of just "more activities". Killing Danny the pizza boy in 3 had me laughing me ass off, based on the mission description.

Some of the activities I really didn't care for - rift running just felt boring, and felt like it went on forever. Some of the TK missions I'd start, and no matter how many times I hit F2, I couldn't TK anything. It was only when I finally figured out you had to use a TK ball (you magically can't lift anything else) did I finally realize the mission wasn't bugged. And then it just became spamming the Q key, over and over, until it was done.

I feel like I got my $38 out of it, but I hope the next one is better.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 9, 2013, 07:08 Dev

Slashman wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 11:07:
Dev wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 10:54:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 10:30:

Well, I am fairly sure every human being on earth has a copy of Skyrim at this point.
I finally broke down and got it I think at $15 or $20. Then I had to wait for the DLC to go on sale. No idea why they didn't make more DLC for it, its like printing gold I bet.

Not sure they could do anything else that mods haven't covered. Plus there is the fact that PS3 apparently can't handle the game well so making DLC for it(which I think they HAVE to do if they make it for everyone else) would likely not be pleasant or easy.
The mods covering something isn't really a factor. For instance, there's mods covering your own home, probably some of the first ones. And they've released hearthfire DLC about your own home. Official DLC is always going to be more important to many people than its equivalent mod.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 9, 2013, 06:00 eRe4s3r

Not sure what to link there really as you will quickly find yourself that it's all subjective.. the game has some performance issues and there not being a Nvidia driver for the game specifically doesn't help (in my case, you probably don't care given that you have an ATI card ;P), I am sure the next drivers pushe performance up by 20 to 40%... any custom battle in a lush environment with maxed out armies will get you good indication on how it really runs.... What you should keep note of is how giving orders feels.

I have stuff off like SSAA/Distortion/Vsync/Vegetation AA

But I have normal AA on, Buildings on Medium, Units on Ultra, Shadow on medium, Unlimited Video Memory ON and that's it (everything else on Ultra / SM5 ,p) It doesn't run super extremely well with full scale battles but you can always tone down the unit count, but between Ultra and Low there is not really much difference. If you lag as soon as you zoom in set Unit detail to Medium and Unit count to low. This will not make a huge difference in feel of the game I found...

These settings are my "I can handle this kind of lag" but for campaign play don't expect the campaign map to run smooth, I have done a lot of things and tests, and some regions will just lag it out completely. Not to mention the trees look butt ugly no matter what you have set. Also for long-term campaign play I would really not advise ultra unit counts simply because you can end up fighting with an ally or against combined army + fleets....

Sidenote: I have a 670GTX and 16GB Ram. ;p

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 9, 2013, 04:31 Mashiki Amiketo

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 02:48:
Sadly that bench isn't indicative of real performance.. start a custom battle Believe me, I tuned my settings so that it stays above 50fps at the back end of the benchmark and had extreme FPS drops in certain situations (Solved by turning grass entirely off = low) and shadows to medium.
Got any preference for one, or one you'd like to link? I'll re-run the benches tomorrow and post them. But yeah grass to low and shadows down to high or medium make a huge difference, but shadows no matter the game have always been a massive hardware choke for well all videocards.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 9, 2013, 02:48 eRe4s3r

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 00:43:
Bench via the beta channel for ROME 2. Not sure if it's the same promised patch for monday but here it is. Also running a 7950 now instead of my 560ti which decided to melt it self into a pile of radioactive goo--and I didn't feel like waiting a week for EVGA to send me a replacement.

Settings
benchmark

I should toss in, in general I'm seeing a 7-8fps jump but I'd hazard a part of it is the newer card. Have to wait for sure until my 560ti is back, which will sadly be relegated to a physx card.

Sadly that bench isn't indicative of real performance.. start a custom battle Believe me, I tuned my settings so that it stays above 50fps at the back end of the benchmark and had extreme FPS drops in certain situations (Solved by turning grass entirely off = low) and shadows to medium.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 9, 2013, 00:43 Mashiki Amiketo

Bench via the beta channel for ROME 2. Not sure if it's the same promised patch for monday but here it is. Also running a 7950 now instead of my 560ti which decided to melt it self into a pile of radioactive goo--and I didn't feel like waiting a week for EVGA to send me a replacement.

Settings
benchmark

I should toss in, in general I'm seeing a 7-8fps jump but I'd hazard a part of it is the newer card. Have to wait for sure until my 560ti is back, which will sadly be relegated to a physx card.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2013, 02:01.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 9, 2013, 00:27 .Drifter

nin wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 11:47:

Think I've finally decided I like SR3 better than 4. Both are good/fun, but some of the magic seems to have gotten lost along the way.

I had more fun with SR 4 than SR 3, mainly due to the superpowers, and while I'm satisfied with it, I agree something was lost. I think the superpowers pretty much rendered some of the activities irrelevant that, in SR 3, were fun and had a purpose, such as collecting cars. I had a great time hunting down and collecting them in SR 3, but in SR 4? No need, once you got superspeed. No need for helicopters or planes once you got glide leveled up a bit. Heck, I didn't even use half the weapons since I didn't need to. Missions seemed a bit stinted too, in that first you're doing full rescue sequences, then BAM suddenly everyone is just showing up on your ship after the first part. Overall, it felt more like a padded mod than a sequel.
That being said, it was still one of the most satisfying games I've played this year. The ending, though . . .

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2013, 23:43 eRe4s3r

At least Rome II has potential to become something great...assuming they don't start releasing DLC now and forget patching stuff  

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2013, 23:27 Acleacius

Far Cry 3 50% off  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2013, 18:00 Jerykk

Paranoid Jack wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 14:35:
Panickd wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 14:05:

Well, I am fairly sure every human being on earth has a copy of Skyrim at this point.

I have 2. One on the PS3 and one on the PC. Buying it on the PS3 was a mistake but my kid seemed to like it.

I feel sorry for all the folks that bought Total War: Rome II. You can't blame them for pre-ordering given the track record of the devs of those games but it was an absolute trainwreck by most accounts.

Yeah, I've read some posts that helped me to avoid it but then I've been locked out of my Steam account for two weeks with no reply to either of the two tickets I created. So like a dumbass I thought I'd buy Blacklist from a German site for about $22 US. It stated you need an active Uplay account. I have used Uplay before. It was bad back then... well, somehow they've made it even worse. LoL
For the past two hours I have tried to figure out why I am forced to bounce off a Proxy IP to access their shit server and finally gain access to Blacklist.
Even more ironic is the fact that my ISP speeds are just under 60mbps yet it looks as if it's going to take most of the day (maybe the night also) to download the game. Another lesson learned.
Ah, well. I guess my luck is just shit lately for some reason.

Shame about your server issues. Blacklist is a great game and a return to form for the series. Definitely worth playing if you can overcome your technical problems.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2013, 16:55 nin

Who was looking for FC3 cheap the other day? Can't remember...it's a deal for $20 today/tomorrow...

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2013, 14:35 Paranoid Jack

Panickd wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 14:05:

I have 2. One on the PS3 and one on the PC. Buying it on the PS3 was a mistake but my kid seemed to like it.

I feel sorry for all the folks that bought Total War: Rome II. You can't blame them for pre-ordering given the track record of the devs of those games but it was an absolute trainwreck by most accounts.

Yeah, I've read some posts that helped me to avoid it but then I've been locked out of my Steam account for two weeks with no reply to either of the two tickets I created. So like a dumbass I thought I'd buy Blacklist from a German site for about $22 US. It stated you need an active Uplay account. I have used Uplay before. It was bad back then... well, somehow they've made it even worse. LoL
For the past two hours I have tried to figure out why I am forced to bounce off a Proxy IP to access their shit server and finally gain access to Blacklist.
Even more ironic is the fact that my ISP speeds are just under 60mbps yet it looks as if it's going to take most of the day (maybe the night also) to download the game. Another lesson learned.
Ah, well. I guess my luck is just shit lately for some reason.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2013, 14:05 Panickd

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2013, 11:47 nin

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2013, 11:07 Slashman

Dev wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 10:54:

I finally broke down and got it I think at $15 or $20. Then I had to wait for the DLC to go on sale. No idea why they didn't make more DLC for it, its like printing gold I bet.

Not sure they could do anything else that mods haven't covered. Plus there is the fact that PS3 apparently can't handle the game well so making DLC for it(which I think they HAVE to do if they make it for everyone else) would likely not be pleasant or easy.

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2013, 10:54 Dev

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2013, 10:30 MoreLuckThanSkill

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2013, 10:12 ViRGE

Aww. Rayman Legends didn't even make the top 10.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo