Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: GOG Linux Sep 9, 2013, 17:53 jimnms

Kristian Joensen wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 07:59:
Ehhm.... the ports are already done. GOG is just the distributor. The port for say The Book of Unwritten Tales already exists and is currently being distributed on Steam. GOG only needs to upload some files to their servers, they do NOT need to do any porting work themselves.

I don't know how they do their mac installer, but GOG uses custom installers for the Windows titles, even new releases. One thing I don't like about the GOG installer on Windows is that (at least for the games I own from them) it sets up compatibility flags in Windows to run it as administrator, which is completely unnecessary if you install the game outside of Program Files.

They didn't used to do this until the v2 installer, which they've just about updated every game to use. They also broke Fallout 2, and they still haven't fixed it. It now puts a goglauncher.exe file and sets the shortcut that launches the game to call it. The launcher doesn't work and throws an error. Once you get past that, they still have the game's .exe set with a run as admin compatibility flag. It's not necessary, and runs just fine without it. They're also shipping it with a mod installed, which caused graphical problems for me until I removed it.

I just took a peek in the forums and there are still a lot of new posts about these problems, and the solution is to not run it with the GOG shortcut and remove or update the mod.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: GOG Linux Sep 9, 2013, 10:50 Ant

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 06:22:
Ant wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 00:57:
SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 20:54:
Re: Outlast Gameplay and Commentary.

ROFL!!!
Watch his other videos if you liked that one: http://www.youtube.com/user/penguinz0

Thanks I did subscribe to his channel.
Don't remember the last time I've laughed so hard.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

11. Re: GOG Linux Sep 9, 2013, 07:59 Kristian Joensen

Jerykk wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 20:03:
Not supporting Linux makes sense from a financial standpoint. The Linux gamer userbase is so tiny that it wouldn't really be worth the costs involved in porting the games to Linux. I imagine that GOG's profit margin is already small enough as it is.

Ehhm.... the ports are already done. GOG is just the distributor. The port for say The Book of Unwritten Tales already exists and is currently being distributed on Steam. GOG only needs to upload some files to their servers, they do NOT need to do any porting work themselves.

10. Re: GOG Linux Sep 9, 2013, 06:22 SpectralMeat

Ant wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 00:57:

ROFL!!!
Watch his other videos if you liked that one: http://www.youtube.com/user/penguinz0

Thanks I did subscribe to his channel.
Don't remember the last time I've laughed so hard.

Steam: SpectralMeat

9. Re: GOG Linux Sep 9, 2013, 00:57 Ant

ROFL!!!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

8. Re: GOG Linux Sep 8, 2013, 20:54 SpectralMeat

ROFL!!!

Steam: SpectralMeat

7. Re: GOG Linux Sep 8, 2013, 20:03 Jerykk

Not supporting Linux makes sense from a financial standpoint. The Linux gamer userbase is so tiny that it wouldn't really be worth the costs involved in porting the games to Linux. I imagine that GOG's profit margin is already small enough as it is.  

6. Re: GOG Linux Sep 8, 2013, 18:45 jimnms

That seems a bit odd considering their stance on DRM. Linux is basically a DRM free OS, where Mac OS and Windows both contain DRM (activations, tying activation keys to hardware, etc.).  

Steam Profile

5. Re: etc. Sep 8, 2013, 17:30 mag

yuastnav wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 12:27:
I still don't get it.

I think people overestimate how much of a problem it actually is if you have that many flavours of Linux since. Besides, just do what Valve does and support only one of them.
If people complain you can tell them that their distribution is not officially supported.
On the other hand Linux users are an inventive bunch who would be able to hack around a bit and get it to work, unofficially, anyway.

And even if they didn't support modern games they could at least add support for games using dosbox since a native version is available for Linux. It would be almost trivial.

But to be fair, Valve is a much, much larger operation than GOG, and they still had/have a hell of a lot of growing pains with the Linux version of Steam. I really hope that GOG changes their minds, and at least offers it unsupported, but I doubt they're overstating the difficulty overmuch.

4. Re: etc. Sep 8, 2013, 17:22 DrEvil

If all they offered was their dosbox-based games for now, that would be an acceptable start, and there's pretty much no reasonable excuse for not offering those.

I completely agree that it's difficult for almost all the other games they offer though.

3. Re: etc. Sep 8, 2013, 12:27 yuastnav

I still don't get it.

I think people overestimate how much of a problem it actually is if you have that many flavours of Linux since. Besides, just do what Valve does and support only one of them.
If people complain you can tell them that their distribution is not officially supported.
On the other hand Linux users are an inventive bunch who would be able to hack around a bit and get it to work, unofficially, anyway.

And even if they didn't support modern games they could at least add support for games using dosbox since a native version is available for Linux. It would be almost trivial.

2. Re: GOG Linux Sep 8, 2013, 10:56 Dev

Shok wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 10:09:
Luckily, wine is pretty damn good for installing a fair number of GOG games. And even the native linux DOSBOX client helps.
Native dosbox eh? Nice. GoG could for minimal effort test a bunch of games on the native dos box and just mark them on the store as to if they will work on it. Same with Wine. Or, they could have some sorta community effort, where people vote on if it works with dosbox/wine and if the yes votes outnumber the no votes, have a penguin on the page. They can throw a disclaimer up about how its not officially supported etc just to cover their behind.

1. Re: GOG Linux Sep 8, 2013, 10:09 Shok

Luckily, wine is pretty damn good for installing a fair number of GOG games. And even the native linux DOSBOX client helps.

I've been messing around in Ubuntu the past few weeks and it has come a long way as far as gaming support since the last time I tried it a few years ago. Still not worth giving up multi-booting a Win7 partition but even so there are some days I never even boot into Win7.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo