Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat

A new Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries website has word that Star Citizen crowdfunding has now surpassed the $18 million mark, just a week after the announcement the upcoming space combat game had reached the $17 million plateau. Chris Roberts explains the "exclusive star system for backers" triggered by reaching the $18 million goal, and also goes on to discuss balancing the game's item sales based on supporter feedback. He also unveils their $20 million goal is "First person combat on select lawless planets. Don’t just battle on space stations and platforms… take the fight to the ground!" He calls this their "penultimate planned stretch goal," cryptically explaining: "While goals will continue after $21 million, they will take a new form representative of what additional funding can add to the game!"

View
81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

21. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 13:22 Tumbler

I'd be more excited to see them build a variety of different starter level ships and make those an option for players who are in the Aurora or the 300i. They already do have some variants of the 300i but I believe they all increase the cost. Having other options at the starter level or just above would be a smart move.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 13:10 Dmitri_M

He's quoted as saying "Don’t just battle on space stations and platforms… take the fight to the ground!" so I guess they had some FPS combat already planned? Must have already factored in creating art resources and gameplay additions to facilitate FPS play. Still, seems super ambitious for a Space Sim. I kind of like the ambition though. I hope this all works out in the end.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2013, 13:25.

19. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 13:07 LesCaster

El Pit wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 10:39:
I'd rather have them concentrate on the flight game, then - maybe as an add-on? - on FPS shooter elements.

Exactly. I fear this may turn into a case of spreading themselves too thin. Why not focus on making a stellar flight sim rather than, possibly, an OK flight sim with an OK FPS?

I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness.

18. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 12:55 ItBurn

Dmitri_M wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 12:53:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 12:52:
Dmitri_M wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 12:50:
Creston wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 12:39:
Was FPS combat always supposed to be part of Star Citizen? It seems a weird thing to add on to a space trading/fighting sim?

It's funny how people were saying they keep adding crazy features. FPS combat sounds like the craziest most ambitious thing you could add to this game.

I haven't backed. But I certainly look forward to it's release. Best of luck to the devs..

Well, this is the Cry engine. Fps combat is actually the default. All they added is the space combat. The hangar module, which is already release already has fps controls. It even has third person. Just because it's incredibly easy.
I'm sorry, but that is not incredibly easy unless they don't mind it being a tacked on and brief. Art resources, weapons, environments, player models, FPS gameplay all need to be implemented. There is nothing straight forward about that.

Well, yeah. If you want to make an incredibly detailed, complete and balanced fps game, it would be incredibly difficult, but I didn't get a vibe of that's what they wanted to do. I'm expecting more of a shooter "lite", with less stuff, but well working stuff.

17. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 12:53 Dmitri_M

ItBurn wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 12:52:
Was FPS combat always supposed to be part of Star Citizen? It seems a weird thing to add on to a space trading/fighting sim?

It's funny how people were saying they keep adding crazy features. FPS combat sounds like the craziest most ambitious thing you could add to this game.

I haven't backed. But I certainly look forward to it's release. Best of luck to the devs..

Well, this is the Cry engine. Fps combat is actually the default. All they added is the space combat. The hangar module, which is already release already has fps controls. It even has third person. Just because it's incredibly easy.
I'm sorry, but that is not incredibly easy unless they don't mind it being a tacked on and brief. Art resources, weapons, environments, player models, FPS gameplay all need to be implemented. There is nothing straight forward about that.

16. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 12:52 ItBurn

Well, this is the Cry engine. Fps combat is actually the default. All they added is the space combat. The hangar module, which was released this week, already has fps controls. It even has third person. Just because it's incredibly easy.

15. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 12:50 Dmitri_M

It's funny how people were saying they keep adding crazy features. FPS combat sounds like the most ambitious possible thing they could add to this game. Smells like hubris.

I haven't backed. But I certainly look forward to it's release. Best of luck to the devs.

14. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 12:47 ItBurn

Yeah almost since day one you were supposed to be able to board enemy shits(edit: awesome typo) and go at it fps style to capture them. But noone ever expected planetary combat.

13. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 12:43 Creston

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 11:39:
SC will be awesome and somewhat resembling the stated vision in 36+ months from now but it is high time that CR sobers up and sets people's expectations straight for the beta and the initial release of the game. The expectations are through the roof right now with all of the success of the funding campaign and the features that get piled onto an already scary and humbling pile of work.

I wonder if maybe he's not shifting back the release date (which I agree with you is becoming utterly impossible) because he's worried it will affect the funding rate? I can see people donating heavily to something they think they will play next year. Would they be as generous if Roberts came out and said "Look, don't expect this until 2016/2017?"

12. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 12:39 Creston

11. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 12:13 ViRGE

siapnar wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 11:08:
I think all the money, regardless of the amount, should be used solely for streamlining and improving the original game design, rather than adding things on. Make it the best possible game of it's kind, never mind to extended ideas and added on stuff.
It sounds like the $20mil goal is it for major stretch goals. They won't be adding any more major features after that.

10. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 11:39 CJ_Parker

Axis wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 10:59:
Those kind of realistic goals give people confidence that they won't be wasting their money. Time will tell...

While the individual stretch goal items might be within reason, you have to use an extremely loose definition of "realistic goals" for the entire project.

What they have promised in a nut shell:

- A fully featured single player campaign (Squadron 42) with a branching campaign and 50+ missions. An expansion pack will be released at no cost to original backers within 6 months of the release of squadron 42.
- A persistent universe (MMO) with over 100 star systems (no procedural stuff... it's all "hand-made").
- A mod kit and dedicated servers that let players create their own mods and set up their own servers.
- A very complex in-game economy.
- Gameplay is supposed to cater to all playing styles, i.e. military, pirate, trader, miner... there's always s'posed ta be something to do for everyone.
- Playable and boardable capital ships with multiple stations
- Enhanced boarding options: melee combat, heavy weapons, zero gravity simulation, suit HUD options and EVA combat.
- A very detailed and intricate ship components and upgrade system including the ability to overclock individual parts for maximum performance outside of the specs.
- A universe with a progressing timeline. It's not supposed to be as static as most MMOs but they want to implement a system where time passes and events unfold and where your character ages etc.
- An app for tablet PCs for checking on various game stuff
- Command & Control Center for managing your fleet
- Ability to compete over and manage space stations
- Planet-side FPS gameplay ($20 million is just a matter of when, not if)

And since they have not officially committed to any delays we should be able to expect all of the above by the end of 2014.
So, a full single player game, a full MMO with 100+ star systems to explore, mod tools and dedicated servers all within just a little over a year.

I have one word for that: LOL.

Chris Roberts is a good guy but he's also a crazy mofo with a known track record concerning excess ambition and a complete disregard for realistic schedules. Just read up on the development history of Freelancer.
SC will be awesome and somewhat resembling the stated vision in 36+ months from now but it is high time that CR sobers up and sets people's expectations straight for the beta and the initial release of the game. The expectations are through the roof right now with all of the success of the funding campaign and the features that get piled onto an already scary and humbling pile of work.

9. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 11:36 ItBurn

This is awesome. What's more awesome is that the negative comments haven't started yet in this thread.

One question though. Where the hell is all this money coming from?

8. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 11:10 Flo

siapnar wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 11:08:
I think all the money, regardless of the amount, should be used solely for streamlining and improving the original game design, rather than adding things on. Make it the best possible game of it's kind, never mind to extended ideas and added on stuff.
+1
The greatest danger is getting lost in additional features.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

7. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 11:08 siapnar

I have projectile dysfunction.

6. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 10:59 Axis

Having looked at their goals per dollar, I think they can pull it off easily. They aren't offering everything under the sun for a few bucks -- 500k gets you an additional ship, a million for better cutscenes, etc.

Those kind of realistic goals give people confidence that they won't be wasting their money. Time will tell...

Yours truly,

Axis

5. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 10:57 Efflixi

Looking forward to this!  

4. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 10:40 Flo

I want this game, I really do, but somehow I have a bad feeling about it. But this can't go wrong, can it? Anyway, waiting to spend my money on release day.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

3. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 10:39 El Pit

I know I've criticised this game before, but I actually want it to succeed. I'd like to fly in space and relive Privateer/Freelancer, mostly alone in single player. Then again, I wonder whether they can pull all of this off with all the additions to the game. I'd rather have them concentrate on the flight game, then - maybe as an add-on? - on FPS shooter elements. Please don't suck, and even more, please be published some day!  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

2. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 10:25 CJ_Parker

FUCK YEAH! Right in your fucking stupid little faces you console swine!!!  

81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo