Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat

A new Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries website has word that Star Citizen crowdfunding has now surpassed the $18 million mark, just a week after the announcement the upcoming space combat game had reached the $17 million plateau. Chris Roberts explains the "exclusive star system for backers" triggered by reaching the $18 million goal, and also goes on to discuss balancing the game's item sales based on supporter feedback. He also unveils their $20 million goal is "First person combat on select lawless planets. Don’t just battle on space stations and platforms… take the fight to the ground!" He calls this their "penultimate planned stretch goal," cryptically explaining: "While goals will continue after $21 million, they will take a new form representative of what additional funding can add to the game!"

View
81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

61. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 23:28 kanniballl

I will say, that as much as I'm excited about the game and everything...

It is a bit "ambitious" for what they say they want to do.

• The single-player module? No problem

• Large MMO space sim? OK

• All customers get the ability to run their OWN server in case they want to mod stuff or don't want to go online. Cool

• Persistent Universe with some neat features? Umm, sure

• Really really intricate economics? Umm... ok

• FPS boarding-and-fighting inside a ship while a battle is going on outside? Umm... are you sure?

• FPS battlefields on some planets? Ummm... are you messing wit...

• Personally, I would have been happy with a single player Privateer type of game with Chris Roberts's spin on things. I wouldn't have pledged as much but I would have been happy since I liked Freelancer + Privateer + WingCommanders more than the X series.

And if they get a decent large-scale space sim going and they deliver on the promise to have your own personal server running on your PC... I'll be more than happy with the money I spent.

But if it bombs and we don't have the ability to run our own server... then that $300 is a lot to spend on the single player Squadron 42 game.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama
    Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 23:18 ItBurn

Proudfoot wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 15:05:
    Flo wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 10:40:
    I want this game, I really do, but somehow I have a bad feeling about it. But this can't go wrong, can it? Anyway, waiting to spend my money on release day.

Hellgate London started out like this. (ambitious, cool features, awesome graphics, ...)

Just saying.

Hellgate London is awesome. I've hard more fun with it than Diablo 1 or 2.

59. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 22:55 kanniballl

Quboid wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 21:09:
    Kevin Lowe wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 16:32:
    ItBurn wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 11:36:
    One question though. Where the hell is all this money coming from?
    People spending $5k on spaceships. I spent a tenth of that and my wife is ready to kill me.

Wait, I ... they're ... no. What? Why ... is ... what??!

Haha, I read that as people are spending $5000 actual dollars on virtual space ships in a game at least 14 months away from release (and 24 months would be optimistic IMHO). Heh, imagine if that is actually happening in real.

Ha!

Yep, it's happening.

I haven't gone THAT overboard personally but I've spent $200-300. I set up 2 accounts... one will be either a bounty hunter or pirate, and the other will be either a clean merchant or gray smuggler. One will be a white-hat and the other a black-hat so I can dip my toes in both sides of the Force without the actions of one affecting the other.

But... this is all just pledging for the game to be made. Personally I think it's cool to be part of that if the game turns out as good as we're hoping.

Meanwhile, who really cares how much people pledge? I know people that buy new sets of golf clubs EVERY YEAR for $1k-$3k EACH TIME. The old clubs are perfectly good (not broken) and they keep them all... instead of eBaying then. I know people that buy expensive bowling balls each year, new bikes, car mods, etc. Hobbies are hobbies.

That all being said... yeh those people pledging $5,000+ are going to the extreme. I would definitely not pledge that much. That's like my PC upgrade budget and game budget for at least 2 years... maybe 3.

-

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2013, 23:33.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

58. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 22:21 Rea1One

I think its safe to say we will hit the $20 million dollar goal

Just bought my third ship, can't wait to finally taken them out of the hangar.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2013, 22:43.

57. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 21:12 Prez

FPS is fine as long as it doesn't delay the main space game I think. I'm allowing myself to become *a little* more optimistic about this, but my wallet stays closed until I know more about the solo aspect.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    - Mahatma Gandhi

56. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 21:09 Quboid

People spending $5k on spaceships. I spent a tenth of that and my wife is ready to kill me.

Wait, I ... they're ... no. What? Why ... is ... what??!

Haha, I read that as people are spending $5000 actual dollars on virtual space ships in a game at least 14 months away from release (and 24 months would be optimistic IMHO). Heh, imagine if that is actually happening in real.

Ha!

- Quboid

55. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 20:54 Hump

I'd like to see something like Starhawk but with better execution.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

54. Re: Very good chance it will surpass $20 Million Sep 7, 2013, 20:52 Comet

The late 2014 release is for the Star Citizen Alpha/Beta.
    I think Squadron 42 may be finished by the end of 2014, but Star Citizen won't. As for going gold, only in 2015.
    And I agree with you. Any delay will generate drama from any vocal community. But all drama ends if people are happy with the game when it gets released. And don't forget that the backers are already getting access to the game. So it's not like being in the dark as it usually happens when games get pushed. One way or the other they'll have more than enough funding to build the game.
    The end result is what matters. Bioshock Infinite was planned for a October 2012 release and got pushed to May 2013. Did it matter? GTA V was supposed to have been released this past Spring and was pushed to September. Will it matter?
    Even if delayed if Star Citizen is considered to be the best space sim of 2014 it won't really matter.

53. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 20:52 Quinn

Flatline wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 16:14:
    Quinn wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 14:42:
    siapnar wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 11:08:
    I think all the money, regardless of the amount, should be used solely for streamlining and improving the original game design, rather than adding things on. Make it the best possible game of it's kind, never mind to extended ideas and added on stuff.

I definitely disagree with this. To me, space combat can only get so good. I'm not saying I've seen the "perfect" space sim yet -- not at all!

But no matter how good the space sim is, the illusion of actually flying in the awesome vastness of the universe is quickly removed by the realization of it being nothing but a few 3D models surrounded by a high-rez texture that's "the infinity of space". Adding depth to this by making planets to land on, with FPS content, makes the magic that much more magnificent. To complain about it is to complain about a loving relationship with your partner containing sexual intercourse. w00t!

And running around in a high rez background box with a few 3d models and high rez textures in FPS mode changes all of that?

Um... okay...

You can't see the difference between running around in a 3D (level designed) map and an empty space with some 3D space ships?

Of course, in the end it's all virtual reality. If you don't have the mental capacity to understand my point, I will not waste my time to elaborate.

Again, space sims can be awesome. Space sims that add a certain amount of depth with the ability of entering the atmostphere of certain planets? That's a whole new kinda awesome.

"Moo," she said.
    And I trembled.

52. Re: Very good chance it will surpass $20 Million Sep 7, 2013, 20:11 CJ_Parker

Comet wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 19:52:
    Star Citizen is expected in mid-2015 but even if there is a delay and instead of mid 2015 it's Christmas 2015 backers will accept that since it is normal for such an ambitious games to get delayed.

The official line is still "late 2014". I haven't seen an official delay announcement yet. You, me and a lot of other people may be expecting mid 2015 at the earliest (because of the massively ambitious scope) but a lot of people are also still expecting late 2014 because no delay has been announced so far.

And if I were you I wouldn't be so sure about backers accepting delays so easily. You, me and a lot of other backers with a sense of realism? Yes.
    But just look at the forums with regard to the hangar release. Everyone knew it was pre-alpha. Everyone knew it was unfinished and buggy. And yet you had a million n00bs cry out in anger and terror over the buggy nature of the hangar release.
    There are way more retards out there than you seem to think. You're way too optimistic in that regard.

With that said they are quite clever about these stretch goals. Except for some of the early ones that were part of the original campaign, none of the stretch goals post-$10 million is saying "on release" or generally giving out any date when to expect that feature in the game so CIG can always play the "we never said when" card.

51. Very good chance it will surpass $20 Million Sep 7, 2013, 19:52 Comet

Their reaching their goals because their not just promising. Their delivering. They've been keeping their promise and the Hangar is what people expected. Even when there is controversy Chris quickly addresses it. For instance, people complained that the Freelancer had very limited visibility and now they are looking at it. Everyday developers answer the community questions and take their feedback. Not one week passes by without news on what they're doing. Star Citizen is expected in mid-2015 but even if there is a delay and instead of mid 2015 it's Christmas 2015 backers will accept that since it is normal for such an ambitious games to get delayed. Still, the truth is we are all taking an inside look of how a game gets developed.
    Just take a look at their Youtube channel for proof that they are dead serious about what their doing.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd

50. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 19:52 Numinar

I'm sure someone already said it (Not reading this thread, tired)... but did they steal one of Derek's design Docs?  

49. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 19:39 siapnar

Now that's just preposterous  

I have projectile dysfunction.

48. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 18:52 Flatline

siapnar wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 17:43:
    Flatline wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 16:44:
    Heh. Heh heh.

No.
    Not all that a ridiculous concept. I've seen more intense backer rewards.

Not a ridiculous concept at all. But the 10,000 dollar kickstarter reward only lets you *name* your own ship.

Maybe at 100,000k they'd put a custom ship in for you.

47. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 17:43 siapnar

Flatline wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 16:44:
    Heh. Heh heh.

No.
    Not all that a ridiculous concept. I've seen more intense backer rewards.

I have projectile dysfunction.

46. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 17:37 NeOCidE

I so want this game to succeed, but something nagging in the back of my mind thinks there're spreading themselves too thin here. Unless the game is pushed back a fair amount of time these "additions" may well be something tacked on and not in-depth as some including myself would like. But hey......I'll be the first to apologise if they pull this game off  
    Trent Reznor - Atticus Ross an incredible team.

45. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 16:46 Flatline

Graham wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 16:42:
    They've hit their deliverables so far (including physical deliveries for things like membership cards). I get being skeptical, but I'm feeling comfortable with what they've promised.

Ain't no problem doubting it, but I'm curious what folks who are doubting will say if it does turn out to be everything advertised (and on-time!). It's a big if, but it's always interesting the opinions of former naysayers after a success. Shadowrun Returns was touted as a game that would never make it by some, and yet it's out and it's fun.

/shrug maybe kickstarting IS the future for indie games. And let's face it... an $18 million dollar indie game is a new beast on the market.

What will I say?

WOOHOO I'm glad I was A) wrong (I love me some space sim) and B) glad my 60 bucks was well spent.

But that'll probably be about 1000 hours of gameplay later.

I *want* to be wrong. That's the thing most of the investors who are skeptical and worried are saying. We want to be wrong and blown away.

44. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 16:44 Flatline

siapnar wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 16:36:
    I haven't been following this game that intently, but I'm assuming that they have designers do a custom ship for you if you donated over 5 G's?

Heh. Heh heh.

No.

43. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 16:42 Graham

They've hit their deliverables so far (including physical deliveries for things like membership cards). I get being skeptical, but I'm feeling comfortable with what they've promised.

Ain't no problem doubting it, but I'm curious what folks who are doubting will say if it does turn out to be everything advertised (and on-time!). It's a big if, but it's always interesting the opinions of former naysayers after a success. Shadowrun Returns was touted as a game that would never make it by some, and yet it's out and it's fun.

/shrug maybe kickstarting IS the future for indie games. And let's face it... an $18 million dollar indie game is a new beast on the market.

42. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 16:40 Flatline

Plus now can't you buy all kinds of equipment right now that you have no idea how powerful or useful it actually is in the game?

The amount of blind equipment buys is insane.

81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo