Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be "Complicated" (By Activision?)

An article on Eurogamer looks at the upcoming Reaper of Souls expansion for Diablo III, and the the indications that one of its goals is to "cut the legs out from the Auction House" in the action/RPG sequel. They discuss the add-on and the items/auctions fiasco with Blizzard's Josh Mosqueira and Kevin Martens, and one of Josh's replies admits they were tempted to scrap it entirely, but speaks of "complications" that go beyond "the Blizzard level," which suggests that Activision would not approve (or perhaps NSA intervention). Here's the part that has us drawing inferences:

Were you tempted to scrap it entirely? I ask. Did the thought ever cross your mind?

"We'd be lying if we didn't say yes," Josh replies after a moment's contemplation. "We saw the reaction. Again, it's a complicated matter. It's not just complicated at the team level, or even the Blizzard level.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

27. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 13:43 briktal

I assume the main complication would be dealing with everyone's RMAH balances. There's currently no way to transfer money out of your wallet, you have to specify cash out (via PayPal) on a per-auction basis, and that method isn't available in all regions the RMAH is available.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 13:34 Wallshadows

Blizzard will do as they always do when caught or put in to a corner and say it was a miscommunication and are sorry.  

25. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 13:12 Mr. Tact

Malachii wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 11:46:
What % of PC players are offline when they want to play a title like D3? REALLY?
You do realize someone got fired from Microsoft for this opinion, right? Not everyone lives in an urban area where getting broadband is like getting electricity. Besides your entire argument is moot because they made the console version be off-line. If there wasn't a market for that why make it?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

24. Red herring...Auction House is a scapegoat. Sep 6, 2013, 12:30 JohnBirshire

The problem was never the Auction House itself, it was their terrible item drop rate decisions that ended up forcing people to use it just to play the game. If the Auction House didn't exist, the problems they blame on it still would anyways. They've just been using the Auction House as a scapegoat all along.  

23. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 12:19 Undocumented Alien

Why is there no RMAH in the PS3 version? Sony likely wouldn't allow it, at least without their cut, which would make it not worth it...

It's the same for XBOX as well.

I realize you're not all developers, or even computer people, but shit takes time...

How big of you to explain to all the little people. D3 was in the oven for a LONG time, time was not an issue for Blizz. Your excuse doesn't hold any water. Obviously they reused a lot of the code base from the PC version and somehow, using a genius like yourself I guess, were able to strip the AH/RMAH out of the game.

People "like" yourself complained with publishers like Ubi-soft used shitty DRM schemes and the complaining helped remedy the decision. If "we" don't let Blizz know that the forced ODRM sucks, then nothing will get changed.

"I" want the OPTION to play D3 SP Offline just like I did with Diablo and Diablo 2. So I will be vocal about it. Sorry if my want for an OPTION takes away from your gaming experience.

22. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 12:17 Verno

Armengar wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 12:06:
I dont understand the constant venom either. Oh look a D3 thread. full of venom and troll.

If you dont like something then dont play it. There is a massive difference between constructive criticism and downright shit-mongering.

Is that sort of like if you don't like what people are saying then ignore it? People criticize the product because they want it to be better, not because they want it to be unenjoyable. Blizzard was an untouchable developer for a long time and so the sting after a few disappointments shouldn't be difficult to understand.

I think Diablo 3 has the core of a good game there but the fundamentals are a bit busted. I don't lose sleep over it (text on a message board doesn't require much commitment) but I'm not avoiding topics about it to make anyone feel better about their preferences either. We've had numerous examples of message board feedback working over the past few years so keeping quiet about things you dislike makes no sense anyway, many of the changes we're going to see in D3 moving forward are directly based on them.

Sure there will always be some people who offer nothing but DIABLO SUX HURRR type stuff but those people are going to be like that about most things.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

21. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 12:08 Undocumented Alien

What % of PC players are offline when they want to play a title like D3? REALLY?

Well, that seems pretty easy, 0% right now as it's forced.

I know the answer is not readily obtainable, but I have to guess that it's an absurdly low number

If you are playing SP, and don't care about the AH/RMAH, then why would you want to be online? You get better performance when not having to have packets of data sent inline during combat. I know I see some intermittent lag when I play.

How often is your gaming PC not online?

How often are consoles online? Right, exactly, but they are not getting stuck online with D3. Explain that.

20. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 12:06 Armengar

I dont understand the constant venom either. Oh look a D3 thread. full of venom and troll.

If you dont like something then dont play it. There is a massive difference between constructive criticism and downright shit-mongering.

It isnt like people didnt know about the always on or RMAH or AH. If you didnt like it then either dont play, dont use AH or dont use RMAH. Ive never needed to use the RMAH but I have used the AH a lot - especially for reduced level items as described below. Ive also used a lot of online calculators to make cheap crap gear fit into a character to make it powerful.

A great metagame for me. Now ive moved on as im bored - very simple. At the end of the day it is a computer game.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

19. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 12:06 Simon Says

COMPLICATED? ROFL!

Remove User Interface links to the auction house, DONE!

What a load of bullshit.

18. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 11:49 Alamar

Undocumented Alien wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 11:34:
Why does this have to be so phucking hard to understand?

I totally agree... I see the same BS (and lack of thought) spouted by the same people in every single D3 thread... And half of them bitch about others complaining/trolling in threads about games they won't/don't play/like.

I realize you're not all developers, or even computer people, but shit takes time...

Why is the drop rate (supposedly) better in PS3 over PC? Outside of confirmation bias, consider that the next big patch (the expansion) already announced, has talked about the major loot drop changes... It's in the PS3 version first, because they've likely been working on it for a while, and the PS3 version is next...

Why is there no RMAH in the PS3 version? Sony likely wouldn't allow it, at least without their cut, which would make it not worth it... Why can't it just be arbitrarily removed? The common claim is because Blizzard makes a lot of money on it... Think about that... If they're making money on it, it's because people use it... How many of you would bitch about a product's feature you enjoy using getting ripped out because some whiners bitched about it?

As for it affecting drop rates... I believe some 'blue name' already confirmed that it does, but I'm not going to find the source, because it doesn't actually matter... It's just a trigger for people to bitch about : )

/rant

-Alamar

17. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 11:46 Malachii

I know the answer is not readily obtainable, but I have to guess that it's an absurdly low number. Except for travelers or umm, I dunno, campers? How often is your gaming PC not online? Internet goes out for a night because roadrunner/cox/whatever sucks and we would all get the dry mouths and shakes, but I assume playing D3 would be low on the list?

The ONLY time in the last year that I was denied playing D3 was because of Tuesday maintenance windows, and nothing else.
Personal situations and experience plays a large part in my opinion on this (ODRM)so your opinion and others may vary. Now THAT'S not hard to understand.

I realize from past experience that defending this title on Blues is like painting a bulls-eye on myself but man, some gamers (these ARE video games, not life/death) get so hostile and bent out of shape. Relax....go move some pixels around. :-)

16. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 11:35 Paketep

Not as complicated as me ever buying an online-only, P2W, no LAN support POS sequel.

Fuck those losers.

15. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 11:34 Undocumented Alien

D2 players would buy/sell/trade all the time at this point, still not sure why the disdain? cause of the RMAH? If it was just gold would you all be LESS butthurt?

It's the obvious reason for the forced ODRM, THAT's the disdain (apart from just plain greed). I don't want to be forced online for something I don't need or care about. And now we have "proof" that the RMAH can be taken out as the console crowd doesn't have to deal with it.

Would be a good gesture, if during the expansion, that ActiBlizz allowed the PC crowd to go SP Offline mode like the console crowd can. And of course, for those that like to be "online", you could still do that and get access to the AH or RMAH.

Why does this have to be so phucking hard to understand?

I still wonder if this was from a no name company with a different name if opinions would different.

Of course it would be different, ActiBlizz is holding the brand name "Diablo" hostage, and they know they can get away with it. If this was called anything else and published by Ubi-Soft even people like Krovven would be up in arms over it. They win simply because of the two words, Blizzard & Diablo.

14. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 11:31 Verno

I liked the idea of lobby based player bazaars using the blizzard backend. Grabbing a weapon for an alt is fine and good but shouldn't outweigh exposing the entire player base to perfect rolls. The auction house is a difficult concept to pull off properly in ARPGs and is tied directly to item properties which is another thing they fucked up here. I think an auction house could work but not with all of the other mistakes they made.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

13. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 11:26 Malachii

nin wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 10:59:
And no, I do not believe drops were "tuned" for AH.(prove me wrong.. PROOF , not conjecture or twisting words)

Prove that it's not.

I'm not smart enough to prove a negative, or lack thereof :-) As far as console number drops being increased, So? I do not deny they can fine tune anything they want. I bet they can make the next 100 drops all be legs with crazy stats. I am just saying that I have not witnessed in my massive amount of hours the devastating affect most of you seem to say the AH has had on the game experience. For my personal play style, it only proved to be a positive experience.
I still wonder if this was from a no name company with a different name if opinions would different.

12. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 11:19 Pigeon

Malachii wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 10:55:
And no, I do not believe drops were "tuned" for AH.(prove me wrong.. PROOF , not conjecture or twisting words) We can get into the specifics of the item system being busted, but we've done that a million times already. Point is, the chances of an item dropping that beats what you have by the time you are para 100 is probably worse than lottery odds...So the AH fills this void nicely as well.
D2 players would buy/sell/trade all the time at this point, still not sure why the disdain? cause of the RMAH? If it was just gold would you all be LESS butthurt?

All you have is conjecture too. The only people that know for certain are Blizzard and Activision and some how I doubt they are going to release the details of all the planning that went into the game. We can still come to a reasonable explanation as to why things are the way they are based on their actions.

And assuming acti/bliz's cut from the RMAH was a reason behind the terrible drops, they wouldn't have as much of a reason to alter drops for a gold only AH. Frankly I wouldn't care if both of them disappeared.

11. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 11:17 Creston

Seems like BS to me. That's just them pretending they really care about the backlash against the AH, when instead they love how much money it's been bringing in.

"Let's just mysteriously imply that it's beyond our control, and people will understand!"

10. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 10:59 nin

And no, I do not believe drops were "tuned" for AH.(prove me wrong.. PROOF , not conjecture or twisting words)

Prove that it's not.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 10:59 RollinThundr

Malachii wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 10:55:
Disagree.
I still like the auction house. Especially for alt leveling. It's great to be able to snag a lv60 weapon/armor with a reduced lv requirement of 14 to help with the last levels.

I know most older timers hated the auction house, but don't use it. Pretty simple. And no, I do not believe drops were "tuned" for AH.(prove me wrong.. PROOF , not conjecture or twisting words) We can get into the specifics of the item system being busted, but we've done that a million times already. Point is, the chances of an item dropping that beats what you have by the time you are para 100 is probably worse than lottery odds...So the AH fills this void nicely as well.

To clarify, I am done with D3 at this point in time having sucked a ton of time out of it but eagerly await the expansion next year. Will I pick up on console? Nah. Been there done that.

The proof is the massively increase drop rates in the console versions. It's pretty obvious.

8. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 10:55 Malachii

Disagree.
I still like the auction house. Especially for alt leveling. It's great to be able to snag a lv60 weapon/armor with a reduced lv requirement of 14 to help with the last levels.

I know most older timers hated the auction house, but don't use it. Pretty simple. And no, I do not believe drops were "tuned" for AH.(prove me wrong.. PROOF , not conjecture or twisting words) We can get into the specifics of the item system being busted, but we've done that a million times already. Point is, the chances of an item dropping that beats what you have by the time you are para 100 is probably worse than lottery odds...So the AH fills this void nicely as well.

To clarify, I am done with D3 at this point in time having sucked a ton of time out of it but eagerly await the expansion next year. Will I pick up on console? Nah. Been there done that.

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo