Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be "Complicated" (By Activision?)

An article on Eurogamer looks at the upcoming Reaper of Souls expansion for Diablo III, and the the indications that one of its goals is to "cut the legs out from the Auction House" in the action/RPG sequel. They discuss the add-on and the items/auctions fiasco with Blizzard's Josh Mosqueira and Kevin Martens, and one of Josh's replies admits they were tempted to scrap it entirely, but speaks of "complications" that go beyond "the Blizzard level," which suggests that Activision would not approve (or perhaps NSA intervention). Here's the part that has us drawing inferences:

Were you tempted to scrap it entirely? I ask. Did the thought ever cross your mind?

"We'd be lying if we didn't say yes," Josh replies after a moment's contemplation. "We saw the reaction. Again, it's a complicated matter. It's not just complicated at the team level, or even the Blizzard level.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 7, 2013, 03:46 Cram

FloorPie wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 15:11:
Proof? Seriously? It became obvious once you got past level 15-20 that you would have to end up on the AH unless you really did want a ironman loot type challenge as there was rarely good gear drops, unless you got something for an alt.

You never needed the AH on any class, solo, to get to 60. Nor were there signs you would end up on it at 15-20. At launch, you perhaps needed the AH to progress in Act 2 Inferno and beyond.
This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2013, 11:48.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 7, 2013, 01:40 deqer

Why do people even bother talking to (interviewing) these Blizzard clowns at this point? You're wasting your time. You know their answers are all just fluffed up and bull, to just drag it on and on, milking all the sheeple out there.

We all should've boycotted these clowns long ago, and never forgive. Just put Blizzard on ignore, and don't buy their stuff anymore. Even if Blizzard comes crawling back to you later; "nope." *ignore*

45. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 22:36 Flatline

Malachii wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 11:46:
What % of PC players are offline when they want to play a title like D3? REALLY?

I know the answer is not readily obtainable, but I have to guess that it's an absurdly low number. Except for travelers or umm, I dunno, campers? How often is your gaming PC not online? Internet goes out for a night because roadrunner/cox/whatever sucks and we would all get the dry mouths and shakes, but I assume playing D3 would be low on the list?

The ONLY time in the last year that I was denied playing D3 was because of Tuesday maintenance windows, and nothing else.
Personal situations and experience plays a large part in my opinion on this (ODRM)so your opinion and others may vary. Now THAT'S not hard to understand.

I realize from past experience that defending this title on Blues is like painting a bulls-eye on myself but man, some gamers (these ARE video games, not life/death) get so hostile and bent out of shape. Relax....go move some pixels around. :-)

God you're an idiot.

Go google "Diablo 3 lag kills" and look at the 400,000 results that document all the times lag spikes killed off characters, some of which are hardcore characters and can never come back.

Those characters died because of a useless fucking "feature" that's only there to tie you into the RMAH.

44. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 21:52 MoreLuckThanSkill

The simple fact of this whole debacle is that humanity is flawed; most people couldn't avoid using the AHs and ruining the game for themselves. The game is playable without the AHs, you will just have worse equipment than complete strangers, or your weak willed friends who gave in to the AH. Either a person can deal with that knowledge or they can't.

It's pointless to rage about it now, or expect Blizzard to actually remove the RMAH/GAH. Hopefully Loot 2.0 (supposedly not tied only to the expansion, aka free patches to the base game) will be able to make drops more worthwhile. Hopefully they also come through on their claims for 15-20 minute random runs too.

If not, Grim Dawn.

Discosure: 5 Characters through Inferno, back when that actually meant something, self found except for a few blacksmith patterns off the GAH. Their equipment is mostly jokish of course.

43. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 20:43 eRe4s3r

Rhett wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 20:01:
Remove the AH, improve itemization in all categories (perhaps an entire revamp?), and add mod support and maybe the expansion sounds worth getting...

But you know they won't do that. Can't wait to see what Diablo 4 has for "features".

To that I agree wholeheartedly... ARPG's without mod support might as well not exist.

42. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 20:01 Rhett

Remove the AH, improve itemization in all categories (perhaps an entire revamp?), and add mod support and maybe the expansion sounds worth getting...

But you know they won't do that. Can't wait to see what Diablo 4 has for "features".

41. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 19:41 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 11:31:
I liked the idea of lobby based player bazaars using the blizzard backend. Grabbing a weapon for an alt is fine and good but shouldn't outweigh exposing the entire player base to perfect rolls. The auction house is a difficult concept to pull off properly in ARPGs and is tied directly to item properties which is another thing they fucked up here. I think an auction house could work but not with all of the other mistakes they made.

An Auction house can NEVER work in an SP ARPG. It defeats the main drive of the game. Why would you put a thing in your game that motivates people to not actually play your game?

40. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 18:44 PHJF

I don't lose sleep over it

On the contrary, them fucking up D3 saved me countless hours of sleep.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

39. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 16:54 Undocumented Alien

Don't like the AH? Don't use it. It's that simple.

I don't and won't, and additionally detach the AH/RMAH from requiring the whole game to be forced to an online connection (JUST LIKE THE CONSOLE VERSION) and we'll be getting somewhere. It's that simple.

I've been playing online only games for 10+ years and will continue to do so.

Since you such a "VET", then you should understand that Diablo is historically a SP OFFLINE AND MP game, NOT just an online game.

If I dont have internet at any given time, I will play something else and I won't rage about it, unlike what Undocumented Moron thinks.

Oh wow, I get a personal attack, sweet! Must have hit a nerve, I guess Diablo 3 needs to come with tissues as well. *Poor Krovven*

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2013, 17:03.

38. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 16:49 Draugr

Malachii wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 11:26:
I still wonder if this was from a no name company with a different name if opinions would different.

They'd be different in that nobody would be playing it. Instead we'd get posts with more honest assessments. Turns out when people aren't already drinking the kool-aid it takes a bit of convincing.

Sure, there would still be people playing it, but I'd say the success of Diablo 3 has mostly to do with the name on the box, just as those who DON'T like it for X, Y or Z reason, may not like it because of the name on the box.

37. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 16:49 HorrorScope

Nothing like reopening a wound again and reliving the horror that is RMAH.  

36. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 16:41 Redmask

There is no excuse why the console versions get offline and the PC versions don't. People can gloss over all they want with talk about preference and moving on but the fact is that they lied in their justifications for introducing several features that ended up being quite detrimental to the end product. The wounds here were entirely self inflicted and people are totally justified in their so called rage which is really just people unhappy with something they paid for.  

35. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 16:35 Krovven

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 13:12:
What % of PC players are offline when they want to play a title like D3? REALLY?
You do realize someone got fired from Microsoft for this opinion, right? Not everyone lives in an urban area where getting broadband is like getting electricity. Besides your entire argument is moot because they made the console version be off-line. If there wasn't a market for that why make it?

Difference is one was regarding an entire platform and this is regarding a single game. If you dont like it, dont play the game. I've been playing online only games for 10+ years and will continue to do so. If I dont have internet at any given time, I will play something else and I won't rage about it, unlike what Undocumented Moron thinks.

If MS or Sony or whomever attempts to make an entire platform permanently online required, I will have a problem with it. If my computer, iPhone, PS3 or (newly acquired) Vita were online only, they would lose a lot of my business as an entire platform requiring Internet all the time would be a massive inconvenience.

D3 has great gameplay (even better in coop) and production value but falls short in story department, but unlike others, I never held the story in such high regard and just skip it all after the first play through anyways. I get bored quickly playing it solo, but can play for hours with other people. D3 has issues, which is no different than any other game I own. Many issues have been addressed over several patches in the past year + and many more are set to be addressed in the expansion and the continued patches.

Don't like the AH? Don't use it. It's that simple. It's not required and the difficulty in later He'll and Inferno hasn't been an issue since the first patch.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2013, 16:45.

34. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 16:25 UttiniDaKilrJawa

B U L L S H I T !!!!!!!  

33. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 15:38 jacobvandy

finga wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 15:02:
I just couldn't understand why they made the cap on item prices $250. That's a ridiculous number. $2.50 would have been much more reasonable.

Even then, any $ amount shows a basic failure in itemization design and I refuse to play a Diablo III with a real-money auction house as a result. Hell, even a gold auction house bugs me. I'm actually thinking of picking up D3 on consoles for some casual living room play since it lacks the RMAH, although I'd want to find out more about whether the drop rates were change to adjust for the lack of the auction house.

You act as if the cap actually does anything to prevent people from setting prices any higher.... A lot of people pay a lot more than $250 for items. They just have to do it indirectly via gold in P2P trade, because gold prices are limited as well in the AH, so there is no transaction fee being paid. The best items are traded for BILLIONS of gold, so even taking into account how cheap gold is with the inflation (currently $2 for 50 million), spending $1000+ for a single item still happens. Capping it at $2.50 would be even worse for ActiBlizzard and cause them to miss out on even more commission than they already do.

32. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 15:33 Primalchrome

Military personnel stationed overseas? People in rural areas that actually still have dial-up? Professionals whose career involves travel? There are any number of situations....but I think you're missing part of the point. Performance. D3 online particularly in the first month of release, had all sorts of performance and issues with lag. After that month, no problem....most gamers had finished it and/or quit realizing that it was a horrible game in what was once considered an amazing series.

31. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 15:11 FloorPie

Malachii wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 10:55:
Disagree.
I still like the auction house. Especially for alt leveling. It's great to be able to snag a lv60 weapon/armor with a reduced lv requirement of 14 to help with the last levels.

I know most older timers hated the auction house, but don't use it. Pretty simple. And no, I do not believe drops were "tuned" for AH.(prove me wrong.. PROOF , not conjecture or twisting words) We can get into the specifics of the item system being busted, but we've done that a million times already. Point is, the chances of an item dropping that beats what you have by the time you are para 100 is probably worse than lottery odds...So the AH fills this void nicely as well.
D2 players would buy/sell/trade all the time at this point, still not sure why the disdain? cause of the RMAH? If it was just gold would you all be LESS butthurt?

To clarify, I am done with D3 at this point in time having sucked a ton of time out of it but eagerly await the expansion next year. Will I pick up on console? Nah. Been there done that.

Proof? Seriously? It became obvious once you got past level 15-20 that you would have to end up on the AH unless you really did want a ironman loot type challenge as there was rarely good gear drops, unless you got something for an alt.

30. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 15:02 finga

I just couldn't understand why they made the cap on item prices $250. That's a ridiculous number. $2.50 would have been much more reasonable.

Even then, any $ amount shows a basic failure in itemization design and I refuse to play a Diablo III with a real-money auction house as a result. Hell, even a gold auction house bugs me. I'm actually thinking of picking up D3 on consoles for some casual living room play since it lacks the RMAH, although I'd want to find out more about whether the drop rates were change to adjust for the lack of the auction house.

29. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 13:58 Optional nickname

The RMAH is fine, it's a new business model, it's great, I am happy Blizzard can force it onto their playerbase,

what I am most upset about is: Diablo 3 was tailored to the WOW crowd. It was carefully crafted to have them lift their hands off the WOW game just for a little bit, in intervals, while maintaining that subscription revenue. Diablo 3 is the worst iteration (Story driven) video game I have ever played in my entire life! It is truly an insult and a slap in my face to have waited so long after what was a stellar Diablo 2 experiece.

That not enough people complain about what I wrote above, clearly shows, that Blizzard has its audience by their play-balls.

If I may add, that yes, the RMAH is evil, for it is the driving force game engine at its core, that skins everything around it. If you went to a Blizzard company meeting room in their mornings, you would see their FLOWCHART with the big RMAH rectangle at the very top, with all trickle-down logic underneath it. this is your RNG defined, you blind bats.

is it complicated? no! just admit your fault Blizzard, and re-write the entire Diablo3 story (NOT JUST EXPANSION, I mean a full full rewrite of your game, admitting you ARE WRONG!)

you will earn the respect of your fanbase ten thousand times over, and reap FAR MORE rewards that way, more than you would ever know!

are you man enough, Blizzard?

I haven't played Diablo 3 since a week into 1.04, when the bad taste in my mouth finally manifested iteself. Your expansion pack will remain on the store shelf, not in my house. Good luck to Blizzard fanboys from here on out, I'm done with them, unless they re-do Diablo 3 from scratch. elimiate all the retarded WOW inuendos from spiked shoulder pads, to the way everything glows, and get that god damn pony secret level outta there!

28. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 13:50 RollinThundr

Undocumented Alien wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 12:19:
Why is there no RMAH in the PS3 version? Sony likely wouldn't allow it, at least without their cut, which would make it not worth it...

It's the same for XBOX as well.

I realize you're not all developers, or even computer people, but shit takes time...

How big of you to explain to all the little people. D3 was in the oven for a LONG time, time was not an issue for Blizz. Your excuse doesn't hold any water. Obviously they reused a lot of the code base from the PC version and somehow, using a genius like yourself I guess, were able to strip the AH/RMAH out of the game.

People "like" yourself complained with publishers like Ubi-soft used shitty DRM schemes and the complaining helped remedy the decision. If "we" don't let Blizz know that the forced ODRM sucks, then nothing will get changed.

"I" want the OPTION to play D3 SP Offline just like I did with Diablo and Diablo 2. So I will be vocal about it. Sorry if my want for an OPTION takes away from your gaming experience.

Especially in that it was a feature in both of the previous titles. It didn't stop the duping. Delayed it yes, but as usual where there is a will, there is a way.

There is no doubt in my mind D3 was rebooted more than just the one time either. Blizzard took 5 years and handed the PC community a stinking pile expecting them to dive right in.

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo