Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Penny Arcade - Some Clarification.
There are people who were offended by or hurt by the joke in the strip and rather than just let it go we decided to make a second strip. That was a mistake and I apologize to this day for that strip. It was a knee jerk reaction and rather than the precision strike back at our detractors that we intended, it was a massive AOE that hurt a lot of innocent people. We should have just stopped right then but we kept going and made the merchandise. Had we left it alone, the ongoing tension about the whole thing might have subsided but Robert made the call to pull the shirts. In hindsight all this did was open the wound back up and bring on a whole new wave of debate. Any action we took at the time just dug us deeper regardless of what it was. What we needed to do was stop. just stop. I apologized for it at the time and I will still apologize for it. Everything we did after that initial comic strip was a mistake and I regret all of it.

PC & Tech Authority - Penny Arcade, Mike Krahulik, dickwolves, and fear of PAX.
But his apologies are not enough, and his actions do not exist in a vacuum. He has abetted the creation of a community that wants to be Team Rape. And I’m not being figurative, here; a Twitter account under that very name represented all those who felt their ‘free speech’ was being threatened. @teamrape exhorted others to wear their dickwolves t-shirts proudly, to actively shout down their so-called oppressors. The amount of sheer hate on display was... abhorrent. It is quite literally almost impossible for me to read through, even now.

Wired.com - Why I'm Never Going Back to Penny Arcade Expo.
In the midst of the 2011 dickwolves controversy, a vocal Penny Arcade fan who went by the Twitter handle @Teamrape wrote, “And remember, since @cwgabriel [Krahulik] will wear his dickwolves shirt, it’s okay to wear yours. We will show those that want to crush free speech.”

Mike Krahulik is not a brave upstart defending freedom of speech, even if that’s a defense Penny Arcade has hidden behind time and again. Freedom of speech is not and never has been in danger here: Krahulik has every legal right to be shitty to rape survivors and trans*people and react like a child told he can no longer break the other kids’ toys. There is no law preventing him from flaunting the fact that he has a lot more financial and social power than the people criticizing him for abusing it; nor is anyone arguing that there ought to be.

View
106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

26. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:49 Verno

Cutter wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 13:40:
Well, thanks for letting us know you're pro-rape and pro-asshole. On ignore you go.

Prophet is one of the most level headed people around here, putting him on ignore makes about as much sense as condoning physical violence on a guy whose worst offense is bad taste and a flair for drama. You should go back and read what you wrote there, it was frankly a bit disturbing.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:49 Siygess

Honestly Mr Tact it just isn't worth it.

Heh, somebody wrote a comic strip. Some people took offense. Bad decisions were made. War were declared.

If you like PA, best thing to do is ignore that this ever happened and carry on enjoying PA. If you don't care for PA, you'll do your blood pressure a favour by passing on this.

24. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:46 Siygess

Cutter wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 13:40:
Well, thanks for letting us know you're pro-rape and pro-asshole. On ignore you go.

Heh, as opposed to being pro-physical-assault-is-totally-an-acceptable-solution?

When you have the time and energy to string more than a few lines together Cutter you write some really interesting and insightful stuff. But when it comes to snippy one liners, you come across as someone who is more interested in being part of the problem.

You're better than this, man.

I think.

23. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:40 Mr. Tact

Okay, I totally missed this -- anyone have a link to this supposedly offensive dickwolves strip? From what I've read it sounds like much ado about nothing -- but then I've haven't seen the strip.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

22. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:40 Cutter

PropheT wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 13:15:
Cutter wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 13:06:
There is no such thing as free speech. There is protected speech. Big difference. I'll never understand the mentality of these self-entitled 'It's America so I can do whatever the fuck I want and fuck personal responsibility!' attitude. Krahulik needs a severe beating. Like a year in a hospital, major surgeries, crippled for life kind of beating. Then he might just realize there are consequences to actions.

I've got to be honest, when I see a post like that it makes me wonder why I'd ever want to be part of the same community it comes out of.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

21. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:33 Verno

Only, you know the other side were doing exactly the same thing, right? They may not have done it under such an insensitive twitter handle but one of the things that prompted an initial apology from Mike were the flood of violent threats against him and his family.

You cultivate that behavior by intentionally mocking and continually bringing back the issue in stupid ways like merchandizing it and using a public vehicle like your website to keep it going. I don't like it either but really I have no sympathy for Mike here as he was took a few over sensitive idiots, gave their idiocy a megaphone then made a series of dumb decisions to further inflame everything.

I've got to be honest, when I see a post like that it makes me wonder why I'd ever want to be part of the same community it comes out of.

Agreed, I think that guy has a screw loose or something.

20. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:27 Siygess

Verno wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 11:46:
You know you're on the wrong side of something when your supporters are sending rape and death threats to people and form a TeamRape twitter handle.

Very true.

Only, you know the other side were doing exactly the same thing, right? They may not have done it under such an insensitive twitter handle but one of the things that prompted an initial apology from Mike were the flood of violent threats against him and his family.

I think there are probably half a dozen people with a valid opinion and something meaningful to say on both sides and I'm sure those discussions have taken place behind closed doors. Everybody else - on both sides - is on some kind of bandwagon, spoiling for a reason to fight somebody they didn't like in the first place. That's the sad truth here, though, isn't it? The internet is full of immature, insensitive asshats who would behave in a morally reprehensible way in a second if it would get them +1 like, and think nothing of issuing such threats because it's only the internet.

But I do agree that they shouldn't have brought it up again. There are some insights that just don't need to be shared in public.

19. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:27 RollinThundr

PropheT wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 13:15:
There is no such thing as free speech. There is protected speech. Big difference. I'll never understand the mentality of these self-entitled 'It's America so I can do whatever the fuck I want and fuck personal responsibility!' attitude. Krahulik needs a severe beating. Like a year in a hospital, major surgeries, crippled for life kind of beating. Then he might just realize there are consequences to actions.

BUT MUH FEELINGS! Seriously. Wishing someone physical pain for making a joke about an mmo that people took too seriously. There's that whole tolerance thing showing it's true nature.

18. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:27 Beamer

Verno wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 13:23:
He's the one crying now that the press are involved, funny how that works

I hope his apology is the last we hear of this nonsense.

He's also the self-entitled one. Look at the morons supporting him. "HE'S ALLOWED TO DO WHAT HE WANTS! FREEDOM OF SPEECH!"

Not only do those idiots not understand what Freedom of Speech is (and only idiots constantly bring it up,) but they call his detractors "self-entitled" while defending a guy's right to say whatever he wants without thinking about how it affects others.

Isn't that the very definition of "self-entitled?" How are people constantly complaining that he is free to do whatever he wants, regardless of the impact on those around him, yet are so quick to throw around "self-entitled?" They're actually promoting self-entitlement by saying one guy is more important than the masses.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:23 Verno

He's the one crying now that the press are involved, funny how that works

I hope his apology is the last we hear of this nonsense.

16. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:20 Prez

I applaud him. Keep making the whiny bitches cry. Endless entertainment! Is he being an asshole about it now? Sure. But the self-entitled habitually-offended blowhard whiner crowd needs someone being assholes to them. Constantly.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:15 PropheT

14. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:06 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 12:42 avianflu

It is easy for anyone to mis-speak. It is really all about saying sorry after the fact, and meaning it.  

12. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 12:39 Agent.X7

Zzzzzzzzz...huh? ARMAGARD! DICKWOLVES! RAGE! *snort*zzzzzzzzzzzzz  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

11. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 12:11 RollinThundr

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 11:01:
You seem to be the only person who's upset here. I'm perfectly calm.

As am I, it's just old listening to people find things to whine and cry about for the sake of whining and crying about non issues and rally the entire internet behind non issues.

There are so many more important things to worry about, instead we're constantly distracted by social issues, that yes, they are important, but they aren't the end all be all, sky is falling type of things that people make them out to be.

10. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 11:54 Creston

Alright, he's now said he was sorry, so we can let the whole fucking issue go and it need never ever ever ever ever be fucking mentioned again.  

9. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 11:46 Verno

LaxerFL wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 11:38:
It wasn't a rape joke. It was an MMO joke. People are entirely too sensitive now-a-days and it is aggravating.

That's not even the issue at this point though and hasn't been for a long time. People keep referring back to the joke as if Mike is some crusader against the hyper sensitives of society when in reality he has just been acting immaturely and fostering a very uncomfortable sentiment for reasonable people. The joke was amusing and had nothing to do with actual rape. The aftermath and his behavior since then has not been. Reviving the entire debacle for no fucking reason was abhorrent and people actually applauding him need to grow up.

You know you're on the wrong side of something when your supporters are sending rape and death threats to people and form a TeamRape twitter handle.

8. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 11:38 LaxerFL

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 10:46:
The idiot expresses regret that he had to stop making money off rape jokes, and that makes people "entitled brats"?

Woosh!

It wasn't a rape joke. It was an MMO joke. People are entirely too sensitive now-a-days and it is aggravating.

If people don't like something why can't they just not use the product/visit the webpage/listen to the song/watch the video/read the book/etc. etc. etc.

7. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 11:21 Atomic

It really is time for these guys to grow up. They've built a whole business and culture around sophomoric behavior, in an effort to draw like-minded individuals to look up to them and make them feel good about themselves. It's kind of sad, really.  

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo