Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Penny Arcade - Some Clarification.
There are people who were offended by or hurt by the joke in the strip and rather than just let it go we decided to make a second strip. That was a mistake and I apologize to this day for that strip. It was a knee jerk reaction and rather than the precision strike back at our detractors that we intended, it was a massive AOE that hurt a lot of innocent people. We should have just stopped right then but we kept going and made the merchandise. Had we left it alone, the ongoing tension about the whole thing might have subsided but Robert made the call to pull the shirts. In hindsight all this did was open the wound back up and bring on a whole new wave of debate. Any action we took at the time just dug us deeper regardless of what it was. What we needed to do was stop. just stop. I apologized for it at the time and I will still apologize for it. Everything we did after that initial comic strip was a mistake and I regret all of it.

PC & Tech Authority - Penny Arcade, Mike Krahulik, dickwolves, and fear of PAX.
But his apologies are not enough, and his actions do not exist in a vacuum. He has abetted the creation of a community that wants to be Team Rape. And I’m not being figurative, here; a Twitter account under that very name represented all those who felt their ‘free speech’ was being threatened. @teamrape exhorted others to wear their dickwolves t-shirts proudly, to actively shout down their so-called oppressors. The amount of sheer hate on display was... abhorrent. It is quite literally almost impossible for me to read through, even now.

Wired.com - Why I'm Never Going Back to Penny Arcade Expo.
In the midst of the 2011 dickwolves controversy, a vocal Penny Arcade fan who went by the Twitter handle @Teamrape wrote, “And remember, since @cwgabriel [Krahulik] will wear his dickwolves shirt, it’s okay to wear yours. We will show those that want to crush free speech.”

Mike Krahulik is not a brave upstart defending freedom of speech, even if that’s a defense Penny Arcade has hidden behind time and again. Freedom of speech is not and never has been in danger here: Krahulik has every legal right to be shitty to rape survivors and trans*people and react like a child told he can no longer break the other kids’ toys. There is no law preventing him from flaunting the fact that he has a lot more financial and social power than the people criticizing him for abusing it; nor is anyone arguing that there ought to be.

View
106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

106. Re: Op Ed Sep 10, 2013, 16:33 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 16:12:
Obviously Krahulik does have a habit of being an idiot about things but honestly who gives a fuck? If you're going to get offended at a webcomic making a joke about an MMO of all things

Everyone here including you gives a fuck obviously and you have completely missed the point. The joke stopped being the problem awhile ago and constantly bringing it up and stoking the fire just gives it more attention.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

105. Re: Op Ed Sep 10, 2013, 16:12 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 14:47:
I am just amused at your hypocrisy and lack of self awareness. The only social issues that matter are the ones you care about, of course. Nothing else counts because of an invented technicality.

The irony is that no one here identified with the original complainers, calling them 'social justice warriors' is a pointless victory against an imaginary opponent who does not exist here. What people took issue with is Krahulik being an idiot about it repeatedly. If anything the worst thing you can do about issues you don't care about is help give them attention.

If they want to readd a dickwolves shirt to their storefront, that's their business. Obviously Krahulik does have a habit of being an idiot about things but honestly who gives a fuck? If you're going to get offended at a webcomic making a joke about an MMO of all things, implied rape from imaginary video game characters or not, you're prolly just a little over sensitive to begin with, never leave the house, you might get upset by something out there in that big world.

104. Re: Op Ed Sep 10, 2013, 14:57 Verno

That sure is a dead horse you guys are beating Sheesh move on.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

103. Re: Op Ed Sep 10, 2013, 14:47 Redmask

I am just amused at your hypocrisy and lack of self awareness. The only social issues that matter are the ones you care about, of course. Nothing else counts because of an invented technicality.

The irony is that no one here identified with the original complainers, calling them 'social justice warriors' is a pointless victory against an imaginary opponent who does not exist here. What people took issue with is Krahulik being an idiot about it repeatedly. If anything the worst thing you can do about issues you don't care about is help give them attention.

102. Re: Op Ed Sep 10, 2013, 14:12 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 07:20:
LOL right sure thing. Much like Beamer you kinda jut make it up as you go along doncha? At any rate, I get the impression you honestly don't understand the terminology to begin with. That's fine, let's just move on.

Got this saved for future reference on your next bout of whining about fundie libertarian social issues and how oppressed they are by the liberalblahblah.

I never said I was oppressed, I was annoyed that blue tends to have a habit of removing conservative view points and leaving the opposite view point that was argued.

The fact that you're trying to equate that to getting a gang together and attacking a certain topic, be it women representation in games, or how more important pushing gay marriage is rather than fixing the budget/economy (or in Obama's case ever getting one passed) Aren't even remotely on the same play field. It's a strawman attack for no reason

101. Re: Op Ed Sep 10, 2013, 07:20 Redmask

LOL right sure thing. Much like Beamer you kinda jut make it up as you go along doncha? At any rate, I get the impression you honestly don't understand the terminology to begin with. That's fine, let's just move on.

Got this saved for future reference on your next bout of whining about fundie libertarian social issues and how oppressed they are by the liberalblahblah.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2013, 07:50.

100. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2013, 18:57 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 18:47:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 18:42:
Holy fuck you're an idiot, saying you're a minority when it comes to political parties on a site is not going the SJW route. It's just stating a god damn fact. Holy reach for straws Batman.

Childish. Careful you don't fall over from all of that backpedaling, running away from your own words should never be done so quickly

'social justice warrior' indeed.

99. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2013, 18:47 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 18:42:
Holy fuck you're an idiot, saying you're a minority when it comes to political parties on a site is not going the SJW route. It's just stating a god damn fact. Holy reach for straws Batman.

Childish. Careful you don't fall over from all of that backpedaling, running away from your own words should never be done so quickly

'social justice warrior' indeed.

98. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2013, 18:42 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 13:43:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 12:57:
ffs you obviously have no idea what the term social justice warrior even means beam..er redmask.

Ok user who was crying about being a minority here just a few weeks ago. Its only social justice warrior when its issues you don't care about, got it.

Now you're just not making any sense.

97. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2013, 16:34 Kosumo

I thought RollinThunder was putting you on his ignore list?  

96. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2013, 13:43 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 12:57:
ffs you obviously have no idea what the term social justice warrior even means beam..er redmask.

Ok user who was crying about being a minority here just a few weeks ago. Its only social justice warrior when its issues you don't care about, got it.

95. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2013, 12:57 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 23:01:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 13:18:
Actually I've never once gone the SJW route, the only thing I've ever asked for is for politicians to be held accountable. Apparently you can't tell the difference between the two, or have me confused with someone else.

No confusion, you just lie when cornered and like to pretend you don't do exactly what you criticize others for.

Okay I am last BUT this is NOT about the strip or the joke. It was everything after that. The way everything was done. When you have people who have an opinion that is different you respect it and if disagree and don't break the first rule of the Internet.

Most people were on their side before they started retreading it, they just played into the hands of their opposition and preached to the choir.

94. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2013, 23:01 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 13:18:
Actually I've never once gone the SJW route, the only thing I've ever asked for is for politicians to be held accountable. Apparently you can't tell the difference between the two, or have me confused with someone else.

No confusion, you just lie when cornered and like to pretend you don't do exactly what you criticize others for.

Okay I am last BUT this is NOT about the strip or the joke. It was everything after that. The way everything was done. When you have people who have an opinion that is different you respect it and if disagree and don't break the first rule of the Internet.

Most people were on their side before they started retreading it, they just played into the hands of their opposition and preached to the choir.

93. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2013, 21:20 UConnBBall

92. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2013, 13:18 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 10:55:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 03:39:
There comes a point where you have the old boy who cried wolf story. And it's quickly getting to that point with the white knight social justice crowd types like beamer.

Ironically you're the one who cries the most about wanting social justice around here, just for your own causes. Mewling hypocrite.

91. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2013, 10:55 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 03:39:
There comes a point where you have the old boy who cried wolf story. And it's quickly getting to that point with the white knight social justice crowd types like beamer.

Ironically you're the one who cries the most about wanting social justice around here, just for your own causes. Mewling hypocrite.

90. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2013, 03:39 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 13:57:
Gruntstein wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 12:08:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 23:20:
I like games, but go into almost any multiplayer game and pretend to be a woman or a minority for a couple of hours and you will see how nasty it is.
That's a great idea. Lets all passive-aggressively troll people with information that has no bearing on the game being played and smugly point at the negative responses and spit out the words 'told you so' between handfuls of Doritos. All because we think black people and girls need to be white knighted at every opportunity because they're too weak to fend for themselves. That isn't racist or sexist at all.

Well, I mean, in truth? Yes, black people cannot fight institutionalized racism on their own. That's the whole definition of institutionalized racism.

At some point people are going to get over the race card or the rape culture card, being played and stop feeling guilt for something they weren't alive during to take part of or stop walking on egg shells for everyone because someone's precious little feelings might get hurt.

89. Re: Op Ed Sep 7, 2013, 18:01 Fantaz

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 16:10:
Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 11:54:
Alright, he's now said he was sorry, so we can let the whole fucking issue go and it need never ever ever ever ever be fucking mentioned again.

This is about the fourth time he's apologised. Maybe if he's keep his mouth shut and stop doubling down on the stupid, people would actually think he's sorry. That's the funny part, this keeps getting reignited not because other people keep bringing it up but because Krahulik keeps talking abotu it and sticking his foot further in his mouth. He needs to shut up.

but they love the attention it's getting! teh drama!

88. Re: Op Ed Sep 7, 2013, 16:47 Creston

Sepharo wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 06:31:
Dmitri_M wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 05:28:
Penny Arcade are like a club for self referential people who need other people to pat them on the back and say it's ok you're not a geek.

Or it's a web comic.

Yeah, you know. Seems pretty simple on the face of it.

87. Re: Op Ed Sep 7, 2013, 13:57 Beamer

Gruntstein wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 12:08:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 23:20:
I like games, but go into almost any multiplayer game and pretend to be a woman or a minority for a couple of hours and you will see how nasty it is.
That's a great idea. Lets all passive-aggressively troll people with information that has no bearing on the game being played and smugly point at the negative responses and spit out the words 'told you so' between handfuls of Doritos. All because we think black people and girls need to be white knighted at every opportunity because they're too weak to fend for themselves. That isn't racist or sexist at all.

Well, I mean, in truth? Yes, black people cannot fight institutionalized racism on their own. That's the whole definition of institutionalized racism.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo