Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Trade Offers Launch

Steam News offers details on a new Steam Trading feature called Trade Offers, which will allow players to package inventory items to offer trades to Steam friends, allowing for asynchronous trading even when one party is offline. They have a FAQ with all the details, and here's the outline:

Today we’re shipping a new feature we’re calling Trade Offers that allows you to send a prepackaged trade to a friend. It’s similar to regular trading, except you propose the items for both sides. You select the items you’re willing to give up from your inventory and what you’d like to receive from your friend, and send it off. Your friend will receive a notification in the green drop down and can then choose to accept, decline, or make a counter offer. Unlike regular Steam Trading, you don't need to both be online at the same time. Plus, trade offers can be sent and received using a web browser.

You can create an offer from a few places: from the Trade Offers page in your Inventory, from a friend’s Inventory, and from any of your badge pages you can send a friend a trade offer based on the trading cards you still need collect.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Steam Trade Offers Launch Sep 6, 2013, 14:28 Creston

ViRGE wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 18:55:
That works very well if you limit digital games to a single system. However with Steam you can of course have your Steam library installed across multiple systems, so long as only one is actually running Steam at the time. So if Steam did offer game resales, only one Steam library would be deactivated. The other libraries would continue to be able to play it in offline mode for some time to come.

Fair enough. Every time you activate a game on a different system, it needs to talk to the server anyway (because it needs to know that you're the rightful owner of said game). The server keeps track on which systems it's installed.

When you try to trade in / sell the game, the server sends uninstall commands to all machines, and does not give you the money until all machines have reported a succesful uninstall command back. (or report that the game was already uninstalled previously.)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Steam Trade Offers Launch Sep 6, 2013, 14:25 Creston

Tumbler wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 20:21:
You buy games as a gift. If you do this steam asks you if you want add it to your inventory. I do this with sale items I buy but don't immediately want to play. I bought just cause 2 this way on sale and later traded it.

Games you've added to your library are yours forever.

Krovven wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 21:49:
You can add games you purchase to your inventory and trade them.

Oh, I didn't realize you were talking about unactivated games. Okay.

47. Re: Steam Trade Offers Launch Sep 6, 2013, 08:40 Verno

Regarding MS XB180, Steam does not require you to be connect at least once every 24 hrs. Steam has an offline mode so you do not need to be online for long periods of time. To my understanding, only asking for you to go online if you have a net connection and it detects there is an update for your game.

Steam generates a token based on the date when you go offline, it expires in 30 days. I still think that's pretty damned generous though, I can't think of many situations or niches who need more than that. Microsoft's implementation was absurd and made no sense. Their arrogant attitude towards consumers about it was just the icing on the turd cake.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

46. Re: Steam Trade Offers Launch Sep 5, 2013, 21:49 Krovven

Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 18:53:
Tumbler wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 17:05:
This is very exciting. Thanx to trading sites like 99gamers I've been purchasing digital game via steam and other means (humble bundle) and you can list them for trade but it's a little clumsy actually making the trade.

How exactly are you able to trade a game on Steam? It's activated under your account, and it can't be reactivated for someone else, right?

You can add games you purchase to your inventory and trade them.

45. Re: Steam Trade Offers Launch Sep 5, 2013, 20:21 Tumbler

You buy games as a gift. If you do this steam asks you if you want add it to your inventory. I do this with sale items I buy but don't immediately want to play. I bought just cause 2 this way on sale and later traded it.

Games you've added to your library are yours forever.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

44. Re: Steam Trade Offers Launch Sep 5, 2013, 18:55 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 13:12:
ViRGE wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 12:52:
Unfortunately the 24 hour check-in is what makes the whole thing work. You can't have digital resales without a reliable and timely revocation method, otherwise everyone "sells" their game and keeps on playing. So for Steam to offer something like that, offline mode would have to go from months to days.

It's like love and marriage. You can't have one without the other.

Not necessarily. Obviously you need to be online to be able to sell your game, so the moment you sell your game, the sales server sends a command to the 180 to "Uninstall Game X."

The 180 then sends back a command after game X has been uninstalled, and the server proceeds with your payment.

This "having to check in every 24 hours" was just stupidly unneccesary. MS wanted the console to be always online solely so they could serve more ads to it, and make more ad money.
That works very well if you limit digital games to a single system. However with Steam you can of course have your Steam library installed across multiple systems, so long as only one is actually running Steam at the time. So if Steam did offer game resales, only one Steam library would be deactivated. The other libraries would continue to be able to play it in offline mode for some time to come.

43. Re: Steam Trade Offers Launch Sep 5, 2013, 18:53 Creston

Tumbler wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 17:05:
This is very exciting. Thanx to trading sites like 99gamers I've been purchasing digital game via steam and other means (humble bundle) and you can list them for trade but it's a little clumsy actually making the trade.

How exactly are you able to trade a game on Steam? It's activated under your account, and it can't be reactivated for someone else, right?

42. Re: I read sept 3 and think Rome II Sep 5, 2013, 18:09 Krovven

Steam Trade Offers clearly states it's only available to friends. But they may expand this later. Meaning that no you will not get offers from random strangers. You can also already limit who can see your inventory to friends or friends of friends. So there is no reason for this to be a problem unless you are stupid and don't check your options.

Regarding MS XB180, Steam does not require you to be connect at least once every 24 hrs. Steam has an offline mode so you do not need to be online for long periods of time. To my understanding, only asking for you to go online if you have a net connection and it detects there is an update for your game. MS wanted to require a connection every 24 hrs regardless what you were doing...even playing a retail disc, single player game.

I like to take my PS3 to friends or family homes that do not always have wireless setup or a hard line available. MS's attempt at required online was, as already said, entirely self serving and did not benefit the user in any way.

And if you buy into the "cloud" advantages spoon fed by marketing, you are exactly the idiots MS was trying to sucker.

41. Re: Steam Trade Offers Launch Sep 5, 2013, 17:56 HorrorScope

yonder wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 10:30:
The comments here are exactly why Microsoft's XB1 deal was
If they had simply said "like Steam but better"

To me one of the best part of Digital Dist is, soon to be cheap ass prices. If the XB180 could live in a world of cheaper game prices, then trading in isn't a huge deal. They just wanted every angle they could get.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2013, 22:31.

40. Re: I read sept 3 and think Rome II Sep 5, 2013, 17:34 HoSpanky

GMG may buy their keys in other regions, where game prices are lower due to general economy. I recall there being an issue with a game a year or so ago due to that, like it only would download a specific language version (not English). My memory on that is fuzzy tho, may have been a different reseller, but I wouldn't be surprised if GMG does the same thing.  

39. Re: Steam Trade Offers Launch Sep 5, 2013, 17:05 Tumbler

Currently it's really hard to browse for games in peoples inventory thanx to the fucking trading cards. Games show as steam items just like trading cards so there is no way to know if a person even has games to trade.

My account, for example, has strike suit zero Mega Bundle and Organ trail in my inventory but so far I haven't even found a friend who has a game in their inventory to trade.

I hope at some point they can allow us to earn a badge or something, maybe having current CC info with a purchase in the last 30 days?, and then there will be a way to browse inventories of everyone who has that badge and make offers.

I'd love to see what people would be willing to trade for Strike Suit Zero Mega Bundle rather than adding it to my library!

Steam code stuff you'll still have to trade outside of this system because the only way to use a steam code is to add it to your library, you can only trade items that were originally purchased on steam.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

38. Re: I read sept 3 and think Rome II Sep 5, 2013, 16:30 Draugr

Tim wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 13:11:
Out of interest are Steam titles cheaper for you than physical copies? I ask because 99% of the time they aren't for me (talking about on release) - heck, even if I buy a steam key from another site (Greenman for example) it's usually cheaper and by a wide margin.

So they are cheaper for you? I would say just because you're buying a steam product off of Amazon or GMG doesn't mean it doesn't count as cheaper.

Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 13:25:
What I can't figure out is why Steam let's GMG sell Steam keys for 30% less than they go for on Steam.

I always figured it had something to do with a bulk purchase of keys, either through an arrangement with the publisher or Valve themselves, I couldn't say for sure of course.

37. Game trading Sep 5, 2013, 16:12 HoSpanky

So uh, since this seems like the right place to post it:
I have a copy of Splinter Cell Blacklist that I don't want. Willing to trade it for a copy of Crysis 3. I realize one is uplay and the other is origin and really has nothing to do with this thread, but I'm lazy and don't want to update my Paypal account so I can sell it on eBay, then turn around and buy a copy of crysis3.

On-topic, I didn't realize trading inventory wasn't possible before? Or was it, and this just puts a better interface to it?

36. Re: I read sept 3 and think Rome II Sep 5, 2013, 15:19 Axis

Between steam sales and indie bundles providing steam keys, I get titles ridiculously cheap with the benefit of only ONE digital distro app.

Only other place I'll buy is direct download (like amazon or GoG) so I don't have to run more apps... haven't bothered with physical media for umpteen years.

Yours truly,

Axis

35. Re: I read sept 3 and think Rome II Sep 5, 2013, 13:58 Verno

Tim wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 13:11:
Out of interest are Steam titles cheaper for you than physical copies?

They are normally for me, it depends on if you preorder or not and what other offers the publisher offers. For example several times recently I've gotten benefits for owning a previous game or DLC, been given 10% off or etc. They are certainly better on the whole than the console physical media equivalent. Regardless it's an aside that doesn't really address my main point that Microsoft didn't just fuck up in PR, their entire execution was flawed and highly anti-consumer

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

34. Re: I read sept 3 and think Rome II Sep 5, 2013, 13:25 Creston

Yeah I guess the only way GMG gets around it is by basically reducing their "cut" to zero. So as long as the publisher still gets their part, they probably don't care.

What I can't figure out is why Steam let's GMG sell Steam keys for 30% less than they go for on Steam.

33. Re: I read sept 3 and think Rome II Sep 5, 2013, 13:24 Creston

Tim wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 13:14:
Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 12:45:
Btw, MI6 and Scotland Yard will gladly use the Kinect to spy on you as well.

That's MI5, not 6!

That YOU know of!

32. Re: I read sept 3 and think Rome II Sep 5, 2013, 13:19 Tim

Perhaps we shouldn't talk about GMG then.. the first rule of GMG n'all that eh?

31. Re: I read sept 3 and think Rome II Sep 5, 2013, 13:14 Creston

Steam itself isn't cheaper, no. They have to set the same price as the retain stores by publisher mandate.

Why places like GMG are able to get around that is baffling.

30. Re: I read sept 3 and think Rome II Sep 5, 2013, 13:14 Tim

Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 12:45:
Btw, MI6 and Scotland Yard will gladly use the Kinect to spy on you as well.

That's MI5, not 6!

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo