Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M

EA News has word that the recently concluded Humble Origin Bundle raised over $10 million for charity:

After two weeks online, the Humble Origin Bundle, which featured ten of our games, sold over 2.1 million copies and generated over $10.5 million in sales. Most of the funds benefitted six charities with additional optional tips going to support Humble Bundle for hosting the promotion. Consumers who purchased the bundle named their own price and then determined how to distribute their donation across the participating organizations: Human Rights Campaign, watsi, San Francisco AIDS Foundation, American Red Cross, GamesAid and the American Cancer Society.

“The Humble Origin Bundle was an amazing opportunity for San Francisco AIDS Foundation,” said Robin Easterbrook, San Francisco AIDS Foundation. “We have never participated in anything like it before, and were thrilled to be able to connect our work with an amazing community of gamers. It really inspired us to think about new fundraising ideas which can make a big impact on our efforts in the community.”

"We are very grateful for the support of Humble Bundle and their customers through this collaboration," said Lin Mac Master, chief marketing and revenue officer for the American Cancer Society. "The American Cancer Society turned 100 years old this year, and efforts like this will help us make this cancer’s last century.”

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 5, 2013, 15:15 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 12:34:
I have been called a "Humble Bundle Hacker" numerous times. So funny. BF3 people don't seem to know how to play their own game very well. (level 100 peeps) I am top of the leader board almost every game. Doesn't anyone check their corners or use their squad to better themselves? Like playing against a bunch of lone wolves. I love it.

I went 15-1 and got voted off the island on one map. All I did was creep and sweep. Was awesome. It is as though they just run forward into the bullets without looking around.

Heh, having actual police and firearms training probably doesn't hurt either.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 5, 2013, 12:34 xXBatmanXx

I have been called a "Humble Bundle Hacker" numerous times. So funny. BF3 people don't seem to know how to play their own game very well. (level 100 peeps) I am top of the leader board almost every game. Doesn't anyone check their corners or use their squad to better themselves? Like playing against a bunch of lone wolves. I love it.

I went 15-1 and got voted off the island on one map. All I did was creep and sweep. Was awesome. It is as though they just run forward into the bullets without looking around.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

33. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 5, 2013, 10:45 Verno

Most of the people posting in the thread have lauded EA, stop being dumb.

Also I'm pretty sure most people would just say "GABE IS FAT LOLLLL". Valve's not exactly winning accolades around here for their inaction lately either, totally misplaced comment.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

32. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 5, 2013, 08:26 RollinThundr

ItBurn wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 16:08:
Xero wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 16:07:
Someone nailed it. The only reason EA got involved in this was so that they had more people register with Origin. It was a win win for them.

And also get people interested in their franchises in order to get a bigger "fan" pool for the next iterations.

Yet if Valve does something like this. "OMG GABEN IS TBE BESTEST I WANNA HAVE HIS BABIES!"

You people who equate EA to the actual evils of the world? Yeah you're fucking idiots.

31. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 22:31 nin

But... EA indeed HAS committed mass murder in the past - of multiple game franchises!

Where's that cartoon when we need it?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

30. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 22:14 Prez

NKD wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 20:00:

You're on the wrong site for finding people who don't think EA is a mass murdering dictatorship.

But... EA indeed HAS committed mass murder in the past - of multiple game franchises!

They ruined Sim City. That's worse than gassing the civilian population!

And that's not hyperbole at all!! Smartass

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 20:00 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 16:10:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 15:37:
I'm all for money going to charity but I'm not going to support a business as unethical as EA. I mean, I wouldn't support Halliburton or Monsanto even if all the money was going to charity. At the end of the day this is money that EA can write-off against tax, that it can use to inflate its stats and extra users for its Origin service, all of which provide a tangible benefit to the company. No thanks.

Certainly we can agree that EA is not at the same level as Halliburton or Monsanto. EA doesn't design seeds that don't germinate or fleece the gov't for billions and billions of dollars. EA does a lot of things that piss gamers off, but what have they done specifically that was unethical?

You're on the wrong site for finding people who don't think EA is a mass murdering dictatorship.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

28. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 19:01 walrus1

PHJF wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 17:24:
EA does a lot of things that piss gamers off, but what have they done specifically that was unethical?

They ruined Sim City. That's worse than gassing the civilization population!

AIR STRIKES ON EA!!! WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMAN!
Just make sure you let your congressman know the EA is pro Assad, has chemical weapons and lots and lots of oil.

27. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 17:24 PHJF

EA does a lot of things that piss gamers off, but what have they done specifically that was unethical?

They ruined Sim City. That's worse than gassing the civilization population!

AIR STRIKES ON EA!!! WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMAN!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

26. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 16:10 jdreyer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 15:37:
I'm all for money going to charity but I'm not going to support a business as unethical as EA. I mean, I wouldn't support Halliburton or Monsanto even if all the money was going to charity. At the end of the day this is money that EA can write-off against tax, that it can use to inflate its stats and extra users for its Origin service, all of which provide a tangible benefit to the company. No thanks.

Certainly we can agree that EA is not at the same level as Halliburton or Monsanto. EA doesn't design seeds that don't germinate or fleece the gov't for billions and billions of dollars. EA does a lot of things that piss gamers off, but what have they done specifically that was unethical?

25. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 16:08 ItBurn

Xero wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 16:07:
Someone nailed it. The only reason EA got involved in this was so that they had more people register with Origin. It was a win win for them.

And also get people interested in their franchises in order to get a bigger "fan" pool for the next iterations.

24. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 16:07 Xero

Currently playing: Skyrim

23. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 15:52 jacobvandy

Jivaro wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 13:32:
Verno wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 12:55:
I was shocked at the posh gatherings..

My sister, who is an attorney and does pro bono work for a charity organization, explained that to me in a way that almost makes sense. When a person that makes $1000000+ a year makes a donation, it tends to be much more sizable than someone who makes 70000+ a year. A charity wants to attract those people, so they have to have offices that those people can feel confident coming to or sitting in. The various events have to have a certain standard of presentation so that the wealthier people are comfortable and thus more likely to open their wallets. In other words, they cater to the rich to get their fattier donations. Obviously it helps that it makes it a lot comfortable of a workspace...I am not playing that off at all...rather just pointing out that there is a purpose to it. I may have a terrific charity for sick kids, but if the office is located in east downtown Oakland, the neighboring building is a crack house, and the closest thing to a parking lot I have is curbside meters....that isn't going to attract the people that can afford to give the most.

The problem with the majority of "charity" organizations, though... Is that's all there is to them. Fancy parties with rich people getting tax write-offs, and dozens of staff working at that "non-profit" drawing six-figure salaries. Verno hit the nail on the head, "charity" is just a job for a lot of people. They don't want to actually solve or cure anything, because that would derail the gravy train.

The benchmark is to see how much they actually give to their cause versus how much in donations they take in. All registered charitable organizations are required to publicly file their yearly tax returns, so the research is pretty easy to do. There are no requirements as to how efficient of a charity you have to be, so as long as they don't lie to the IRS, they can steal all the donations they take in if they want. I used to go to Guidestar.org, but I just found out that they now require you create an account even to view the free stuff... Gonna have to find some other site that's easier.

For example, Susan G. Komen is among the WORST goddamned charities on Earth. Biggest scam going. The founder was making millions a year, they charge you like $3,500 up-front to participate in one of their walks whether or not you make up that amount in donations gathered, and then they sue every other fund-raiser big and small that even slightly emulates them (such as using the phrase "for the cure" in any way, shape, or form). I was surprised to find out that the Call of Duty veteran's fund run by Bobby Kotick and co. is actually one of the better ones, no salaries or absurd expenses, 90%+ of the money collected actually going to veterans when I checked it out a couple years ago when they were in the news.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2013, 16:08.

22. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 15:38 Cyanotetyphas

jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 14:34:
Also, is it just me, or are Humble Bundles the new Steam Sales? I have bought maybe one or two games on Steam all year, but have bought the Humble Bundle at least once a month this year. Confused

Oh man, I've picked up so many Humble Bundles even $5 is too much for a game these days. Talk about backlog. Just cleared Hard Reset last night, picked that up from a Royale bundle in February...2012.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

21. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 15:37 theyarecomingforyou

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

20. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 15:25 ItBurn

Also, is it just me, or are Humble Bundles the new Steam Sales? I have bought maybe one or two games on Steam all year, but have bought the Humble Bundle at least once a month this year. Confused

This is the first bundle I buy in years...
I've bought all my games on GreenManGaming.
Steam just doesn't have the best deals.
I just bought metro last light for 20$ on Steam though...

19. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 15:24 nin

I can't decide if the steam sales have been lacking, or if I've simply got the the point where my backlog is so great that buying anything seems pointless (as I have no idea when I'll get to it).

Maybe a bit of both...I will say I don't think I spent more than $15-$20 during the summer sale, whereas in past sales I might spend $100 or more...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 14:34 jdreyer

17. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 14:31 jdreyer

KS wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 10:22:
More importantly:

1. Never heard of it before
2. Story link links to their site, Origin.com. Clicked "buy", and searched, and got this:

Sorry, we didn't find anything for

“humble origin bundle”

Yeah, you missed it. It was a couple of weeks ago. It was not on origin.com, though. Humble bundles are sold at humblebundle.com. Here's the Origin Bundle page. I picked up all those games for $10. Total. (Yes, I know I paid more than I had to, but I always pay that amount for Humble Bundles)

16. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 14:28 jdreyer

While there was certainly a benefit for EA here (getting people to sign up on Origin) I tip my hat to them for giving ALL of the proceeds to charity. Typical Humble bundles have the devs taking a %, but EA did not.

EA gets a lot of hate deservedly, but they also deserve kudos where applicable. For example, they're one of the most progressive workplaces, and EA was voted by employees as one of the best places to work. So credit where credit is due.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo