Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Showtime's Beat the Insiders website is finally operating, so as planned Batman set up a league that will keep track of the results for those of us matching wits at picking NFL games this season. Opening night is tomorrow night, and I'll post another reminder, but hurry if you want to participate (it's all free). Bats has been busy, as he also set up a Blue's News GTA5 Crew on the Rockstar Games Social Club, so those planning on being a friend of ours can sign up there.

Linky Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Earth Taken.
Flooded Village Holland.
Links: I AMA Peter Mayhew, Chewbacca from the Star Wars Saga. Ask Me Almost Anything.
Stories: Mystery mummy found in German attic.
Ohio man who held 3 women captive for nearly a decade has hanged himself. Thanks JDreyer.
Summer 2013 Box-Office Breaks Records.
Science: Quantum steps towards the Big Bang.
Hunchback King Richard III infected with worms.
Media: Game of Thrones: The Romantic Comedy.
Open A Beer With a Frisbee.
Chalk Artist Creates Stop-Motion Mario Kart Art Using Real Streets.
Follow-up: Japan to fund ice wall to contain reactor leaks.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 14:27 xXBatmanXx

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 12:20:
Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 11:36:
I wouldn't say he's the worst QB of the last decade, though. I mean, shit, you're actually saying he's worse than Purple Drank? Aka JaMarcus Russell?
Jake Plummer
Patrick Ramsey
J.P. Losman
Andrew Walter
Derek Anderson
Matt Leinhart
Tim Couch
Chris Weinke
Joey Harrington
David Carr

The list goes on and on...

Joe Webb
Sage Rosenfels
Ryan Leafs
Kordell Stewart
Charlie Batch
JaMarcus Russell

Those are the ones that stick out big time for me.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 14:12 Mr. Tact

I hope Jake is better with his snake than he is with a football..  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 14:06 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 12:08:
But he's probably the worst QB who somehow kept a starting position AND even more infathomably, got a fat three year contract extension even though he had no business being on an NFL team.
What about Ryan Fitzpatrick, Buffalo Bills. Signed a six year $59M contract extension (including a $10M signing bonus), on Oct 28th 2011, started the 2012 season as their starting QB, released March 12th this year.

The Bills are idiots, that doesn't mean that Fitzpatrick was worse than Nacho.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 14:06 Creston

Oh come on. Poor Jake the Snake Plummer!

33. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 12:20 Mr. Tact

I wouldn't say he's the worst QB of the last decade, though. I mean, shit, you're actually saying he's worse than Purple Drank? Aka JaMarcus Russell?
Jake Plummer
Patrick Ramsey
J.P. Losman
Andrew Walter
Derek Anderson
Matt Leinhart
Tim Couch
Chris Weinke
Joey Harrington
David Carr

The list goes on and on...

32. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 12:08 Mr. Tact

But he's probably the worst QB who somehow kept a starting position AND even more infathomably, got a fat three year contract extension even though he had no business being on an NFL team.
What about Ryan Fitzpatrick, Buffalo Bills. Signed a six year $59M contract extension (including a $10M signing bonus), on Oct 28th 2011, started the 2012 season as their starting QB, released March 12th this year.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 11:57 Prez

I mean, shit, you're actually saying he's worse than Purple Drank? Aka JaMarcus Russell?

Well, yeah I guess I am.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

30. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 11:36 Creston

Prez wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 19:27:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 15:22:
Verno wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 10:42:
Got my picks in, toot toot. I hope you all bet on the Jets!

Jets article on Deadspin...

Now that I think about it, the fact that Sanchez, who is inarguably the absolute worst quarterback to play in the NFL in a decade, and who will be remembered less for that sad fact than for the epicly embarrassing (yet somehow poetically apt) "buttfumble", is riding out a near-30 million dollar contract AND has seen Kate Upton naked makes me so depressed that I want to give up living.

Don't forget that he banged the shit out of Hayden Panetierre for awhile too.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 11:33 Creston

1badmf wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 18:03:
but when it's time for them to make picks, isn't that when they push aside the bullshit and go for what they think the truth is? if you guys all outpicked the experts, then i maintain they're idiots. they can make shit up all they want on the air, but making actual picks boils it down to its simplest truth.

But if you're on air yapping about how the Rams really have a great shot at beating the Patriots because of: REASONS, and then none of the yapping heads pick the Rams, everyone at home goes "Wait a minute... So you're just talking shit?" And then people stop watching your yapping heads.

Those shows aren't there to give you actual information. They're there to keep you 'entertained' (term used loosely) for two hours before the game starts/after the game ends so they can squeeze a few more ad dollars out of you.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 10:36 Mr. Tact

Most of them didn't get the chance -- they were so bad they only got a few starts before they were history.  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 09:57 Prez

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 09:08:
Now that I think about it, the fact that Sanchez, who is inarguably the absolute worst quarterback to play in the NFL in a decade,
Talk about hyperbole, wow. Is Sanchez a great QB? No way. But, Sanchez is no where close to being the worst QB in the decade. Hell, he might not even be the worst QB the Jets have had in the last ten years.

The following QBs who have started games for the New York Jets since 2003 arguably aren't as good as Sanchez:

Quincy Carter
Brooks Bollinger
Kellen Clemens
Greg McElroy

I dunno, I've been a Jets fan since I was six years old. Those guys you mention were no Montana but none of them looked as consistently clueless and lost at the position as Sanchez does. He is horrible; I would say that one (maybe two) of past Jets QB maybe ties him for overall badness - MAYBE - but Sanchez makes Jets games painful to watch in a way those guys never did, at least for me. Richard Todd (remember him?) was worse than all of those guys and in his time he was better than Sanchez has ever been.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 09:08 Mr. Tact

Now that I think about it, the fact that Sanchez, who is inarguably the absolute worst quarterback to play in the NFL in a decade,
Talk about hyperbole, wow. Is Sanchez a great QB? No way. But, Sanchez is no where close to being the worst QB in the decade. Hell, he might not even be the worst QB the Jets have had in the last ten years.

The following QBs who have started games for the New York Jets since 2003 arguably aren't as good as Sanchez:

Quincy Carter
Brooks Bollinger
Kellen Clemens
Greg McElroy

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 00:07 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 21:35:
Yea the interface is a lot different, it was better before, not sure why they did what they did.... To make sure my picks saved, I always move to the next week and come back, and make sure they are still in place. Never happened that they weren't, I am just not a fan of dynamic pages like that.

Haha I'm the exact same way. My programmer mind is like, "I bet that didn't work... I've been given no indication." And then I have to verify even though there's almost never an issue.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2013, 23:44 jdreyer

Japan to fund ice wall to contain reactor leaks.

Wherein Japan turns to Game of Thrones for the solutions to its modern problems.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2013, 21:35 xXBatmanXx

Nice job guys, looks like 17 runners for the NFL picks and 11 for GTA5.

The analysts end up being about .500 for the year, so they aren't all that good at it but one would think they would be better than the average joe with all of the "insider" information.

This should be fun. Yea the interface is a lot different, it was better before, not sure why they did what they did.... To make sure my picks saved, I always move to the next week and come back, and make sure they are still in place. Never happened that they weren't, I am just not a fan of dynamic pages like that.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2013, 19:27 Prez

jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 15:22:

Jets article on Deadspin...

Now that I think about it, the fact that Sanchez, who is inarguably the absolute worst quarterback to play in the NFL in a decade, and who will be remembered less for that sad fact than for the epicly embarrassing (yet somehow poetically apt) "buttfumble", is riding out a near-30 million dollar contract AND has seen Kate Upton naked makes me so depressed that I want to give up living.

- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2013, 18:03 1badmf

but when it's time for them to make picks, isn't that when they push aside the bullshit and go for what they think the truth is? if you guys all outpicked the experts, then i maintain they're idiots. they can make shit up all they want on the air, but making actual picks boils it down to its simplest truth.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2013, 17:06 Julio

The next story will be how Japan is now a world leading exporter of ice cubes...of course not from the infamous radioactive ice wall of shame  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2013, 16:56 sauron

Pigeon wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 15:48:
sauron wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 15:41:
Prez wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 12:26:

Even a Jets fan wouldn't bet on the Jets if they wanted to win.

Free gift at every Jets home game this year is an official paper bag with eyeholes.

In other news, FFXIV sold 185,000 copies in Japan alone its first week of release. They just had to double server capacity. It's doing pretty well: News

I was thinking of giving it a try once they have the capacity issues sorted out aka, digital sales re-enabled. Sounds like it could be fun for a bit.

I really like it - even more than GW2 or LOTRO, both of which I enjoy a lot.

It's not a grind, you can play solo or in a group, the gameplay has a ton of depth, and there's bags of content and more to come.

Very recommended if you like MMOs or FF games - best one I've seen in quite a while.

Kittens!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2013, 16:29 Creston

1badmf wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 16:16:
man i've always felt the vast majority professional analysts were idiots. here's my chance to prove it. i'm in.

It's not really so much that they're idiots (at least most of them aren't,) but that a straight up pick of "Team A is a better team, ergo, Team A will win," doesn't fill the two fucking hours of time they have to kill during their shitty-ass talk show. So they "analyze" the matchup and come up with some "well, IF this happens, then team B has a chance!" scenario.

And then, in order to make that actually believable, some guys have to pick team B, because otherwise you're just making shit up. (which is exactly what they're doing, but they have to hide that.)

Pretty much everyone who played at Blues last year beat every one of the "experts", simply because we go "Team A better than Team B. Team A wins." for 99% of our picks. I haven't really watched the NFL in about two years, with the exception of the playoffs, so all my picks were done based on which team was good two years ago. And I think I still picked about 75% correct.

An excellent example of this was the 2007 World Series between the Red Sox and the Rockies. The Rockies had caught on fire in their last 20 games of the season, and kept that momentum going all through the NLDS and NLCS. So then came the World Series, and in order to not have everyone write the same article, some writers were told "Come up with some reasons why the Rockies will win the World Series."

Everyone with half a brain saw a great playing Red Sox team with excellent pitching and the most patient lineup in the league versus a "caught fire at the right time" Rockies with pitchers who threw shit and hoped to get hitters swinging at it, and three good players, and knew the Rockies would be lucky to win a single game.

But the writers couldn't all write "Well, it's going to be a massacre. The Red Sox will terminate the Rockies." because nobody would be reading that for a week straight. So they had to sell the idea that the Rockies could win. Oh, how they struggled to come up with those reasons.

Jim Caple was one of the guys who admitted later (in a chat with some fans on ESPN) that he didn't believe the Rockies stood a chance, he was just told to write that.

It's the same for the NFL "analysts." They're not there to provide in-depth analysis of an NFL game. They're there to attract viewers for two hours so ESPN/FOX/CBS can make more advertising money.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2013, 16:35.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo