Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers

Gearbox unveils additional plans for their recently aquired Homeworld IP besides the previously announced HD editions of the RTS classics, as Polygon has word from PAX that the company has made a deal with Blackbird interactive to rework HARDWARE: Shipbreakers to be Homeworld: Shipbreakers, which shouldn't be too hard, since Blackbird is comprised of Homeworld developers and the game was planned as a spiritual prequel to Homeworld. "These guys have been funded by private equity, but it's clear it was going to take many millions of dollars more," Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford said. "We're giving them the brand and the resources to make this happen. Now, these guys are cooking and with the money they have now, they can grow the team."

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 5, 2013, 00:18 Dev

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 21:30:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 17:49:
This has nothing at all to do with Homeworld.

Thank you. So disappointed.
Though I have not looked into it, I think he was referring to the fraud stuff.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 3, 2013, 17:09 nin

Creston wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 17:01:
Trevellian wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 19:33:
The Executives and their responsibility to the shareholders are a step above Pitchfords paygrade and decisions.

Er, Pitchford is the CEO of Gearbox. I'm pretty sure there's not anyone above him.

Not to mention I don't find anything about Gearbox being a traded company.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

33. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 3, 2013, 17:01 Creston

The Executives and their responsibility to the shareholders are a step above Pitchfords paygrade and decisions.

Er, Pitchford is the CEO of Gearbox. I'm pretty sure there's not anyone above him.

32. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 3, 2013, 16:57 Creston

So they took the original developers who were making a spiritual prequel and just gave them cash? That... is actually pretty damn smart. At least compared to the last two times they "took over" on a game.

Anyone have any idea about this shipbreakers game?

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2013, 17:02.

31. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 3, 2013, 10:36 nin

Slashman wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 10:30:
In general, when someone walks into a dev studio's office with a wheelbarrow full of cash, that dev studio is going to do what that person wants.

Worked for Lorne Lanning.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

30. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 3, 2013, 10:30 Slashman

In general, when someone walks into a dev studio's office with a wheelbarrow full of cash, that dev studio is going to do what that person wants.  

29. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 3, 2013, 09:15 jacobvandy

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 07:58:
Dmitri_M wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 06:42:
This game can still be good in it's own right. Even if someone is slapping the Homeworld name on it arbitrarily..

I don't believe everything is as black and white as Pitchford being involved makes it shit. Is he directly involved in development? Or this just in a business capacity?

According to people who donated to Hardware's development they were informed about this over a month ago and offered refunds because the "new publisher" is demanding major changes in the game's direction. So yeah, Pitchford (or at least a Gearbox rep) is directly involved now.

We do know they are dropping the f2p model. What worries me is if they didn't have the resources to complete the game and had to sign on with fucking Gearbox what is going on inside the studio? I'm glad I didn't donate.

If they're dropping F2P, it is pretty goddamn obvious why they wouldn't have the resources they need to finish it... Almost all F2P games open up the microtransactions and/or "Founder's Packs" mid-development. Gearbox offers to provide all of that (and more), so they don't have to go that route.

In any case, everyone is reading WAY too much into Pitchford's press release one-liner. For all intents and purposes, that is his personal opinion of the game and how he would envision doing it if he were at the helm. It is in no way some official statement of analytical fact that can be interpreted to prove anything one way or another.

28. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 3, 2013, 08:57 deadearth

Cutter wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 20:22:

"These guys have been funded by private equity, but it's clear it was going to take many millions of dollars more," Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford said.

Do you have some particular problem comprehending what that means? They said they needed X amount of dollars, reality is they need a lot more. That's textbook fraud. Is that rocket surgery for you? I really don't understand how it can be anymore clear than that. Deceiving people for personal gain is fraud. Understand?

I think you don't understand private equity practices. Typically companies have different rounds of venture capital, starting small and getting larger as they are able to prove themselves. It would only be fraud if Blackbird told the original investors they only needed X dollars when they knew full well at the time they would need more. Since I'm assuming the original private equity firm were not idiots (which may not be a valid assumption), and validated how much money would actually be needed to complete the project.

"They said they needed X amount of dollars, reality is they need a lot more. "

There is no evidence they said that, so yes we can read, but we aren't making anything up either.

Unless the original investors sue for fraud, I'm not gonna believe an internet message board post claiming so

27. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 3, 2013, 08:40 SpectralMeat

Another reason to buy games you are unsure of after it's been released.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

26. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 3, 2013, 07:58 Mad Max RW

Dmitri_M wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 06:42:
This game can still be good in it's own right. Even if someone is slapping the Homeworld name on it arbitrarily..

I don't believe everything is as black and white as Pitchford being involved makes it shit. Is he directly involved in development? Or this just in a business capacity?

According to people who donated to Hardware's development they were informed about this over a month ago and offered refunds because the "new publisher" is demanding major changes in the game's direction. So yeah, Pitchford (or at least a Gearbox rep) is directly involved now.

We do know they are dropping the f2p model. What worries me is if they didn't have the resources to complete the game and had to sign on with fucking Gearbox what is going on inside the studio? I'm glad I didn't donate.

25. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 3, 2013, 06:42 Dmitri_M

24. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 3, 2013, 02:55 Kabuto

I was at the gearbox panel at PAX and my understanding, unless I misinterpreted things, was that because of the investment by gearbox shipbreakers is going to be a "full release" and no longer simply a f2p title.  

23. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 3, 2013, 01:20 .Drifter

Cutter wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 20:22:
walrus1 wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 19:38:
GASP! Why your right! That is the very definition of fraud! Go you with all that copying and pasting! But how is this case fraud? Do you and evidence they won't be able to deliver this game?

"These guys have been funded by private equity, but it's clear it was going to take many millions of dollars more," Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford said.

Do you have some particular problem comprehending what that means? They said they needed X amount of dollars, reality is they need a lot more. That's textbook fraud. Is that rocket surgery for you? I really don't understand how it can be anymore clear than that. Deceiving people for personal gain is fraud. Understand?

"going to take many millions of dollars more" . . . for what?
That, in the article, is never truly specified, at least not from my reading of it.
Millions more to make the game they were advertising?
Millions more to make a game equal to Homeworld's high standards?
Make it into a Homeworld game, by buying the IP? (It is mentioned they bid against, and lost to, Gearbox in the article, and that they are now expanding the team to turn it into a Homeworld game)

Without knowing exactly what they needed the millions more for, you can't say with 100% certainty that it's fraud.
Throw in the fact it's Randy Pitchford who's talking here, a man known for exaggeration, I don't know I'd take anything he said at face value. Heck, if he lent a friend 100 bucks to help buy a new set of tires, by the time he told someone about it he'd have given him "thousands for the repairs to his car."

Throw in this little quote:
"Hardware, in all respects, was Homeworld," Cunningham told Polygon today. "It looked, sounded and felt the same, but we wanted to take that style and experience further. When [Gearbox] acquired the property, it coincided with when we needed to find a partner."

And with this, my take on the matter was that the "millions of dollars more" was what they would need to take it beyond what they were advertising so far, and expand upon what they had, maybe even into a space based portion similar to Homeworld like someone else mentioned. They would be able to deliver what was promised, with what they had, but they wanted to do more so they wanted a partner. Somewhat akin to a stretch goal for a Kickstarter, if you will, with the stretch goal reached only via a partners contribution.

22. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 2, 2013, 22:14 DangerDog

Millions more to make a console version most likely.  

21. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 2, 2013, 21:30 Prez

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 17:49:
This has nothing at all to do with Homeworld.

Thank you. So disappointed.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 2, 2013, 21:18 Overon

Randy Pitchford misrepresents games. Example 1 compare and contrast what he said and what he showed of Duke Nukem Forever and what actually came out. And the latest example of this was the infamous Aliens: Colonial Marines. What he said, what he showed, and what we got. Don't trust the word of Randy Pitchford. This is a public service announcement brought to you buy the Don't Get Fucked Again Club. Don't preorder, don't salivate, wait until it's released and then judge it.  

19. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 2, 2013, 20:22 Cutter

walrus1 wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 19:38:
GASP! Why your right! That is the very definition of fraud! Go you with all that copying and pasting! But how is this case fraud? Do you and evidence they won't be able to deliver this game?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

18. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 2, 2013, 19:57 Mad Max RW

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 19:12:
killer_roach wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 18:24:
Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 18:03:
With Randy Pitchford involved in any capacity this game permanently dropped off my radar. Remember Duke Nukem Reloaded? Why would anyone sign any kind of contract with this idiot unless they were desperate.

DNF and A:CM were both simply cases of pushing a game that somebody else had 90% completed out the door. Yes, they half-assed both of them, but it's really hard to care about something that you picked out of the garbage.

I wasn't talking about either of those. I specifically said DUKE NUKEM RELOADED. But if you want, Gearbox was in charge for over a year of DNF's development and marketing after picking up the rights and reorganizing everything. They were in charge of all 6-7 years of A:CM's development after Sega gave them the contract. In both instances Randy Pitchford blew it. Now in the case of Duke Nukem Reloaded he deliberately swindled Interceptor Entertainment with a contract filled with loopholes designed to keep them from ever releasing a game they developed out of their own pocket.

Randy Pitchford SCREWS every studio he touches.

The funny thing is, if you actually read the article you yourself posted. Randy Pitchford had no say in the shutting down of Reloaded whatsoever. Schreiber specifically says the "Meeting with the Executives" was the end of Reloaded. The Executives and their responsibility to the shareholders are a step above Pitchfords paygrade and decisions.

I'm mostly just tired of people hating on the guy for no really good solid reason at this point.

The really funny thing is Randy Pitchford is one of those 5 executives and currently the only acting CEO and president of Gearbox. There is nobody above him. Anything said otherwise is misleading doubletalk.

17. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 2, 2013, 19:38 walrus1

Cutter wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 17:17:
walrus1 wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 16:48:
Cutter wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 16:36:
Really? It was going to take many millions more? So you're saying they knowingly engaged in fraud, Randy? And transmitting that over state lines makes it a federal offense. I would hope someone calls the FBI in that case before its too late.

Umm, how is this fraud? Is it becoming a shity F2P? Yes it is but I don't think that's fraud since their stating it.

How is it fraud?

Fraud

A false representation of a matter of fact—whether by words or by conduct, by false or misleading allegations, or by concealment of what should have been disclosed—that deceives and is intended to deceive another so that the individual will act upon it to her or his legal injury.

Meaning if they went forward initially knowing full well that they couldn't deliver a complete product for the money they sought then yes, that constitutes fraud.

You learn something every day.

16. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 2, 2013, 19:33 Trevellian

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 19:12:
killer_roach wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 18:24:
Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 18:03:
With Randy Pitchford involved in any capacity this game permanently dropped off my radar. Remember Duke Nukem Reloaded? Why would anyone sign any kind of contract with this idiot unless they were desperate.

DNF and A:CM were both simply cases of pushing a game that somebody else had 90% completed out the door. Yes, they half-assed both of them, but it's really hard to care about something that you picked out of the garbage.

I wasn't talking about either of those. I specifically said DUKE NUKEM RELOADED. But if you want, Gearbox was in charge for over a year of DNF's development and marketing after picking up the rights and reorganizing everything. They were in charge of all 6-7 years of A:CM's development after Sega gave them the contract. In both instances Randy Pitchford blew it. Now in the case of Duke Nukem Reloaded he deliberately swindled Interceptor Entertainment with a contract filled with loopholes designed to keep them from ever releasing a game they developed out of their own pocket.

Randy Pitchford SCREWS every studio he touches.

The funny thing is, if you actually read the article you yourself posted. Randy Pitchford had no say in the shutting down of Reloaded whatsoever. Schreiber specifically says the "Meeting with the Executives" was the end of Reloaded. The Executives and their responsibility to the shareholders are a step above Pitchfords paygrade and decisions.

I'm mostly just tired of people hating on the guy for no really good solid reason at this point.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo