Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Game Front - A Cautionary Tale- The Rage of the Mechwarrior Online Community. Thanks Ant via Slashdot.
To those reading the Mechwarrior Online forums now, as opposed to six months ago, the change is marked. Gone are the days of typical forum behavior: quiet threads toiling in the background with the occasional drive-by trolling or derailment. Instead, the community is in full riot mode, slandering the developers in announcement threads and creating signatures insulting Piranha Games’s competence. The phrase “PGI Lied, MWO Died” has taken on a weird sort of life amidst the disgruntled players.

This wasn’t spontaneous, however. The road that led to MWO’s fanbase banging on PGI’s gates with pitchforks and torches was a long one, and the situation acts as an interesting case study in how to gradually alienate your players. Or, at least, the players on your forums.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Op Ed Sep 4, 2013, 10:01 Verno

Redmask wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 09:22:
You are the biggest hater on these forums, you hate everyone and everything so forgive me if I don't like a complete hypocrite espouse his boring philosophy about my likes and dislikes. I don't care if you ignore me, we both know you will be reading anyway so your shallow attempt to have the last word is fruitless. If you don't like people making you look bad then maybe you should stop making it so easy.

Ignore is kind of pointless since the community is large enough that someone inevitably quotes it. You guys would be better off just trying to get along. I only have one person on my ignore list now for precisely that reason. Who knew that a F2P game could invite such silliness?

I do have to agree though that I'm super tired of reading one or two people express a negative opinion about something then suddenly that becomes "all of bluesnews hates it blah blah blah". It is a silly assumption and one not really supported by facts. This website is no more or less negative than pretty much anywhere else, I read plenty of forums and that's just the internet in general folks. People are more likely to express frustrations than praise.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Op Ed Sep 4, 2013, 09:22 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 09:16:
You obviously are obtuse for the sake of it. I don't think I'm the only one that notices how much games in general get hated on around here. I'm certainly not the first person to point it out either. Acting like it doesn't happen for the sake of it is going about as full retard as you possibly can. Never go full retard. And welcome to my ignore list, find someone else to stir shit up with going forward.

You are the biggest hater on these forums, you hate everyone and everything so forgive me if I don't like a complete hypocrite espouse his boring philosophy about my likes and dislikes. I don't care if you ignore me, we both know you will be reading anyway so your shallow attempt to have the last word is fruitless. If you don't like people making you look bad then maybe you should stop making it so easy.

38. Re: Op Ed Sep 4, 2013, 09:16 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 07:19:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 00:16:
You have no idea aside from MWO what I play or what I don't play either. Why don't you try to not be a condescending prick for once and either don't reply, or ignore me since you seem to enjoy starting shit every chance you get.

Might want to take your own advice first and have a look in the mirror. You also failed to read the text yet again

You obviously are obtuse for the sake of it. I don't think I'm the only one that notices how much games in general get hated on around here. I'm certainly not the first person to point it out either. Acting like it doesn't happen for the sake of it is going about as full retard as you possibly can. Never go full retard. And welcome to my ignore list, find someone else to stir shit up with going forward.

37. Re: Op Ed Sep 4, 2013, 07:19 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 00:16:
You have no idea aside from MWO what I play or what I don't play either. Why don't you try to not be a condescending prick for once and either don't reply, or ignore me since you seem to enjoy starting shit every chance you get.

Might want to take your own advice first and have a look in the mirror. You also failed to read the text yet again

36. Re: Op Ed Sep 4, 2013, 04:34 yuastnav

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 21:46:
[...]
Please point me to a game that Cutter hasn't hated on lately. Nearly every single news post about a game lately, there he is, bashing it. If you hate the hobby so much, find something else to do.
[...]

If you hate every game that doesn't mean you hate the hobby.

35. Re: Op Ed Sep 4, 2013, 00:16 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 23:03:
and half of the BN regulars seem to hate every single damn game in existence, and will let you know about it without ever playing the particular title more than 5 minutes if at all, I find it pretty hilarious to begin with.

If you hate the hobby so much, find something else to do.

You said the above, not Cutter. You have no clue what people have played or not and people not liking your favorite internet toy doesn't make them a hater. Take your own advice, if you hate people here so much then get lost.

34. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 23:03 Redmask

and half of the BN regulars seem to hate every single damn game in existence, and will let you know about it without ever playing the particular title more than 5 minutes if at all, I find it pretty hilarious to begin with.

If you hate the hobby so much, find something else to do.

You said the above, not Cutter. You have no clue what people have played or not and people not liking your favorite internet toy doesn't make them a hater. Take your own advice, if you hate people here so much then get lost.

33. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 21:46 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 19:29:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 17:32:
Please, I got nothing on Cutter, that guy's picture is in the dictionary next to the definition for troll.

It's one thing to not like someone's political leanings, granted I get that I'm a minority conservative on this board, but considering this is a gaming news site, and half of the BN regulars seem to hate every single damn game in existence, and will let you know about it without ever playing the particular title more than 5 minutes if at all, I find it pretty hilarious to begin with.

Funny how your definition of hate seems to consist of things that other don't like that you happen to like. In the real world people have opinions about things that conflict with your own, people aren't classified haters because you're too selfish and ignorant to understand that you and your preferences aren't the center of the universe.

The whole troll thing came from political threads in case you didn't notice.

Please point me to a game that Cutter hasn't hated on lately. Nearly every single news post about a game lately, there he is, bashing it. If you hate the hobby so much, find something else to do.

I never claimed my preferences were the center of anything, shit I didn't even back star citizen for example. Rather than put words in my mouth on a regular basis like you do. Just click the ignore button. It's much nicer for both of us that way.

32. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 21:42 RollinThundr

jdreyer wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 18:48:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 08:13:
Had they gone the Kickstarter route, they would have made it in spades.

No what they did is shop it around to all the publishers, but because Microsoft still owns the rights to anything electronic when it comes to Mech, none of the publishers wanted to touch it since you'd still need permission to use the license from Microsoft.

This is ultimately what killed the never launched MPBT3025 and subsequently Kesmai.

Yeah, that's why I said "Spiritual Successor". There's little chance that anyone will be able to get the rights to make an official SP game. Giant robots and missiles and ballistic and energy weapons can't be copyrighted, only "Mechwarrior" "Direwolf" "PPC" and such. Change the mech designs, change the names, and advertise it as a spiritual successor, and you're good to go. Hell, maybe even bring back Starseige.

For sure, and I'd back it in a second. Also I think you're the one other person aside from me, who bought or at the least remembers Starseige without the Tribes part at the end.

That game was ugly, buggy as fuck, but it was a mech game damnit.

And of course I somewhat defend the game today, and they break Gauss riffles in today's patch. Well done PGI well done.

31. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 19:29 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 17:32:
Please, I got nothing on Cutter, that guy's picture is in the dictionary next to the definition for troll.

It's one thing to not like someone's political leanings, granted I get that I'm a minority conservative on this board, but considering this is a gaming news site, and half of the BN regulars seem to hate every single damn game in existence, and will let you know about it without ever playing the particular title more than 5 minutes if at all, I find it pretty hilarious to begin with.

Funny how your definition of hate seems to consist of things that other don't like that you happen to like. In the real world people have opinions about things that conflict with your own, people aren't classified haters because you're too selfish and ignorant to understand that you and your preferences aren't the center of the universe.

30. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 18:48 jdreyer

No what they did is shop it around to all the publishers, but because Microsoft still owns the rights to anything electronic when it comes to Mech, none of the publishers wanted to touch it since you'd still need permission to use the license from Microsoft.

This is ultimately what killed the never launched MPBT3025 and subsequently Kesmai.

Yeah, that's why I said "Spiritual Successor". There's little chance that anyone will be able to get the rights to make an official SP game. Giant robots and missiles and ballistic and energy weapons can't be copyrighted, only "Mechwarrior" "Direwolf" "PPC" and such. Change the mech designs, change the names, and advertise it as a spiritual successor, and you're good to go. Hell, maybe even bring back Starseige.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

29. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 18:38 Orogogus

Scud wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 04:05:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 03:42:

This. Exactly this. So exactly this.

The first competent, experienced dev shop to announce a MW spiritual successor Kickstarter with a single player campaign will make over $1m in funding the first day, and $5m after 30. That should be enough to attract enough private funding to make a top notch AAA game. Just make the SP campaign the focus, and you Will Be Funded. Hell, throw in multiplayer modes if you want, shouldn't be too hard with all the models and engine already in place. But make SP the core. More people probably played Wing Commander back in the day than MW2, but probably not many more. There's a large group of nostalgic gamers out there waiting to be exploited.

Someone get on that already.

I thought I heard somewhere once that the MWO guys first tried Kickstarting a MW single player game but they said nobody would bite.
I'm not sure how much I believe that however now.

That wasn't exactly it, if I recall correctly.

Microsoft did have the rights, but it wasn't that they scared everyone off by their reputation alone. I think it was that they insisted that the game would have to be an Xbox 360 exclusive (i.e., PC/360, no PS3). Publishers rightfully balked, and the game went nowhere.

Supposedly MPBT 3025 did die because of Microsoft's jerking EA around with the licensing agreement. Don't know about EGA/Solaris.

The first sort-of success story on Kickstarter was, what, FTL, and that was last year, at about the same time MWO was already going into open beta.

28. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 17:32 RollinThundr

Dirwulf wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 15:44:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 22:48:
Let me guess, you don't play MWO and didn't KS Star Citizen right? Yeah I thought so. I think you are one of the most toxic people I've ever had the displeasure of reading posts from.

This has to be one of the funniest posts I've ever read on BN. The Troll calling out another troll.

27. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 15:44 Dirwulf

Let me guess, you don't play MWO and didn't KS Star Citizen right? Yeah I thought so. I think you are one of the most toxic people I've ever had the displeasure of reading posts from.

This has to be one of the funniest posts I've ever read on BN. The Troll calling out another troll.

26. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 10:41 RollinThundr

InBlack wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 08:32:
Cutter has a point RollinThundr even if you dont seem to want to see it. MWO could have been a great game, I played the shit out of it but I quit once I mastered the mechs I wanted and once the direction the game developers are taking has been revealed. They are going the 'easy' moneymaking route. No new features for nearly a full year. They keep on adding mechs and implementing strange balance changes that nobody really needs or wants. Where is community warfare? Where is Clan Tech? A shame really, this game could have been so great.

Im hoping Starcitizen doesnt go this way, but if they do no one is going to be able to do anything about it.

I still play it every day, so trust me I'm aware of what the "could have beens" are.

While I agree community warfare should already be in the game by now, I can't say I'm upset that they aren't rushing everything and instead want to make sure the game is balanced before adding the metagame that everyone's been waiting for.

I think they're close to that at this point. Weapons feel really balanced be it lasers, ballistics, or LRM/SRMs.

I'm not sure what strange balance means to be honest, I'm fine with the jump jet shake because it now takes skill to pull off perfect sniping type shots with PPC's or Gauss.

I also don't think people realize this seems to be a pretty green dev team and they appear to be learning as they go. That being said criticism is one thing. What cutter does isn't criticism on most things, just outright trolling.

Really what would adding clan tech right now do? Completely unbalance all the work they've done the last few months. I get it, it's frustrating how slow their process has been. But here's the thing, if they get it right in the long run, the wait will have been worth it.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2013, 10:50.

25. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 08:32 InBlack

Cutter has a point RollinThundr even if you dont seem to want to see it. MWO could have been a great game, I played the shit out of it but I quit once I mastered the mechs I wanted and once the direction the game developers are taking has been revealed. They are going the 'easy' moneymaking route. No new features for nearly a full year. They keep on adding mechs and implementing strange balance changes that nobody really needs or wants. Where is community warfare? Where is Clan Tech? A shame really, this game could have been so great.

Im hoping Starcitizen doesnt go this way, but if they do no one is going to be able to do anything about it.

I have a nifty blue line!

24. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 08:15 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 22:53:
Cutter wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 20:25:
And this is why you don't hand piles of money over to people for an unknown game. *cough Star Citizen cough*

Yeah, I did play MWO. And you're calling other people toxic? Wow, talk about the absolute height of irony. And as much as your clownish trolling has amused most of us over the years. It's finally gotten to the point where it's just tiresome. I suppose Blue's going to ban you sooner than later anyway, but you really should just leave instead. Meanwhile, you're finally going on ignore where you belong. You're a sad, pathetic, lonely little man.

Sure thing sparky, I don't go into every single game thread with phasers set to Hate. Swear for some people who call themselves gamers they sure do seem to hate every game in development.

23. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 08:13 RollinThundr

Scud wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 04:05:

The first competent, experienced dev shop to announce a MW spiritual successor Kickstarter with a single player campaign will make over $1m in funding the first day, and $5m after 30. That should be enough to attract enough private funding to make a top notch AAA game. Just make the SP campaign the focus, and you Will Be Funded. Hell, throw in multiplayer modes if you want, shouldn't be too hard with all the models and engine already in place. But make SP the core. More people probably played Wing Commander back in the day than MW2, but probably not many more. There's a large group of nostalgic gamers out there waiting to be exploited.

I thought I heard somewhere once that the MWO guys first tried Kickstarting a MW single player game but they said nobody would bite.

22. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 04:05 Scud

21. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 03:53 jdreyer

.net_Drifter wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 01:26:
Parias wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 22:20:
Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 21:11:
Not really related to the topic, but when I hear anything about this game I can't help but remember how excited I was when they released that incredible video some years back. And then how utterly deflated I felt when it was later announced that it was going to be a F2P multiplayer game.

Are you thinking of this one? Me too =\

Awesome video, I miss the game it could have represented.
Side note: I hate Youtube's forced advertisement videos.

Top two quotes on that video currently:

1: Would of Prefered MW5 instead of Mechwarrior:Online, I mean it's a fun game but I want a storyline, not another WoT (World of Tanks).

2: i fucking hate the whole design copyright bullshit. i wanted a new MechWarrior game with story and lore not this deathmatch rinse repeat shit.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo