Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Star Citizen's $17M Haul

Roberts Space Industries has a letter from Chairman Chris Roberts offering thanks to backers who have now pledged $17 million to fund Star Citizen, the upcoming Wing Commander-inspired space game. This includes word on their $19 million stretch goal:

I would like to extend my most heartfelt thanks to each and every one of you! We just hit $17 million at slightly past 12am PST August 31 2013 – less than seven days after we hit $16M!!! The power of this community is simply amazing!

We still have a ways to go before we have achieved the goal of being completely community funded but based on our current trajectory we’re going to make it – maybe even by the end of this year! Which will be another amazing milestone that will have been set by this community. The enthusiasm and support the development team and I have felt is amazing and makes us even more determined to make the best damn space sim ever! (BDSSE!)

The $17 million mark unlocks a special ship upgrade pack for every pledger who has donated prior to this point. An engine modifier will be added to your account shortly and in the near future you should be able to see it in your hangar! You also unlocked an additional flyable ship class in the finished game: the massive battlecruiser!

This accomplishment means that it’s time to reveal the $19 million stretch goals. Without further ado:

$19 million

• Know your foe with a Jane’s Fighting Ships style manual free in PDF form to all pledgers.
  • Manage Space Stations – Players will compete to own and operate a limited number of space stations across the galaxy.
  • RSI Museum will air monthly, with a new game featured each time!

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 3, 2013, 15:00 Creston

Iurand wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 15:13:
It's been on the menu since at least june.

What does that have to do with them "not adding new features after 13 or 14 million" and then them adding a new feature at 19 million?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 3, 2013, 13:11 Jivaro

What makes any game "AAA" ?  

50. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 3, 2013, 09:10 John

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:58:
El Pit wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:44:
We still have a ways to go before we have achieved the goal of being completely community funded

How much do they need? $50,000,000? Does anybody know?

Chris Roberts said US$ 20 million and then it's considered as entirely crowdfunded, making it the first fully crwodfunded AAA game in history.
What makes this a AAA title?

This space is available for rent

49. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 23:17 CJ_Parker

Dev wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 17:03:
CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 16:29:
Why doesn't everyone play on free private WoW servers?
That would be because last time a bunch of people tried, Blizzard sued them for breaking the ToS that forbids that and got close to a $100 million judgement.

Dude, first WoW was just an example. The point was to make it clear that there are unofficial servers/emulators for just about every MMO out there and that barely anyone plays on such servers.
Secondly, are you telling me that if I enter "wow emu" in Google and I get over 1 million results that there are no more efforts to run unofficial WoW servers? Please.
I'm not going to check out which of these projects are actually "promising" since I don't give a fuck about WoW but it is very clear that there are a great many efforts, possibly even working ones, to emulate the WoW environment for free play. Blizzard can go fuck themselves and their lawyers if the guys running an emu have a clue how to "hide" properly.

48. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 17:03 Dev

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 16:29:
Why doesn't everyone play on free private WoW servers?
That would be because last time a bunch of people tried, Blizzard sued them for breaking the ToS that forbids that and got close to a $100 million judgement.

47. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 16:29 CJ_Parker

Cutter wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 14:45:
And from that Joystick Interview later on....

Star Citizen's original vision has expanded as its community has grown, with stretch goals adding to the workload and the overall vision. "The full game that I want to build that was in my head was always like $20 million ... or 21 or 22. It's in that range," Roberts says. "That's kind of what we're shooting for, right now."

So now it's more like $22 million...for the moment....

And? If required he'll shake $2 million out of investors. If not (more likely given the perpetual influx of money) the additional $2 million will come from the community.
If the funding continues like this then the game will be easily beyond $22 million in late 2014.
The budget is naturally very dynamic anyway. There's squadron 42, there's the persistent universe and there is a ton of stuff in the pipeline already for post-launch updates.
Star Citizen will also have a smooth launch, rather than a hard launch. Roberts is planning on moving from beta (or one certain pre-final beta build) to live without a wipe so there is no real set in stone release date. It is all pretty fluid and organic. You can't really make a cut and nail the budget as being $21,753,951.

Uh huh, yeah, not being evasive at all. Care to show us anywhere it's printed in black and white what the specifics are for the SP game, private MP servers - if any, and the MMO portion of the game.

You need to watch the weekly live cast (Wingman's Hangar) more often and read the "Ask A Dev" section at the official forums more often, too. Stuff is getting revealed all of the time. Many details are still in limbo, of course, and subject to change but as far as the single player is concerned, for example, the Lead Designer Rob Irving put it in very simple terms when he said that anyone who has played a CR game before should know what to expect. He added that they don't have any plans to reinvent the wheel.
So for squadron 42 -> Wing Commander. It will be a military campaign space soap opera where you begin as a fledgling UEE recruit earning your first wings. The campaign will be a branching one. In the end you will exit the military as a "Citizen" and you can take that character to the persistent universe to keep playing.

I mean if selling ships in the $100s and $1000s is just something anyone can do at any time for free in an SP game or private MP game then what's the incentive for people to buy in the MMO portion of the game? The only reason I can possibly think of is that they have a distinct advantage.

Why doesn't everyone play on free private WoW servers? Right. People prefer to play on official servers where you get guaranteed regular content updates, where the real competitive play takes place, where (ideally) you have to deal with less lag, less connection issues, less bugs, hopefully effective exploit and cheat prevention, stricter moderation, timely customer support and many other benefits that come from a commercial operation.
What you can do with the private PU server/client is set up your Freelancer-/Privateer-style sandbox and of course you could mod the thing so you'd have the best ships from the start etc. but where is the fun in that?

There certainly is a theoretical risk for CIG though if a really well organized group of people gets together and uses the private PU plus the mod tools to create something totally awesome like a X-Wing vs. TIE remake or a Star Wars PU .
But people will still have to buy the game to be able to play a modded version so CIG still wins.

Seems like the people who'll be able to capture and control star bases/sectors will need the best equipment. It'll take forever to grind it, so you'll have to buy it.

That remains to be seen. CR has stated repeatedly that he loathes grindy MMO gameplay so it's unlikely that you will have to grind in the traditional MMO sense in SC. It may be difficult and challenging to come by certain stuff though like e.g. maybe a certain type of weapon requires you to operate deep behind enemy lines in Vanduul (alien race) territory or it's hidden away on an asteroid base run by pirates. Stuff like that.

So, show us on the RSI website where all this is broken down into specifics about what's what. I've gone through their entire About the Game and all I see is a lot of marketing fluff and nothing concrete except that the game is being setup to ensure people will keep spending real money.

Yep. The website is in dire need of updates. As I stated above the best way to keep up with SC right now is to watch the weekly Wingman's Hangar and read the Ask A Dev section at the forums. Every dev is "forced" by CR to dedicate one hour per week to answering fan questions so there's lots of info in there on coding, art, design... everything.

Anyone who can't just come out and say things directly is someone not to be trusted. In other words, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. And a bunch of people are going to learn this the hard way. Won't be surprised in the least if we eventually see several class-action suits surrounding this game.

CR is a very honest and direct person. With that said he certainly seems to have a habit of being way too ambitious for his own good (Freelancer debacle anyone?).
I don't see any way how they are going to release squadron 42, the MMO, the mod tools and the private server with only half of the promised features in late 2014 or even in the first half of 2015. My guess is that they might make a Q1/2015 target for S42 only. Then the PU might follow a year later with initially not nearly the 100 star systems that have been promised and then it will take them months and years to actually add all of the features that have been talked about.
CR is keeping it intentionally vague what will be in the initial release because I think he very well knows that there is no chance they'll have all of it ready by late 2014.

With the high and growing budget and the extremely high expectations I would personally advise CR to sober up, step on his soapbox and reveal a somewhat realistic schedule for the initial release and subsequent updates and which features will be in at launch and what will come later. Set people's expectations straight. It's going to be a massacre if only a stripped down S42 beta is ready for prime time in late 2014.
The hangar is already a minor massacre because most people are too retarded to understand the concept of a pre-alpha. CR needs to proactively go out there and tell it like it is.

46. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 15:13 Iurand

Creston wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 14:43:
Iurand wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 14:14:
No, they stopped adding new features after 13 or 14 million.

errr...

$19 million

Manage Space Stations – Players will compete to own and operate a limited number of space stations across the galaxy.

That seems like a new feature to me.

It's been on the menu since at least june.

Cutter wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 14:45:
So again, by evidence of this quote $20M is the first major goal. Doesn't say anything about stopping there, quite the opposite in fact.

Why would they stop?

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2013, 15:20.

45. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 14:45 Cutter

gray wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 08:53:
“We have private funding (not publisher funding). The crowd funding side helps to determine how ambitious we can be upfront. The overall game wont cost $20M upfront, but probably by the end of the first year of public release we will have spent that much between the original game and the ongoing content that year”

This has since become a target for full crowdfunding.

So again, by evidence of this quote $20M is the first major goal. Doesn't say anything about stopping there, quite the opposite in fact.

And from that Joystick Interview later on....

Star Citizen's original vision has expanded as its community has grown, with stretch goals adding to the workload and the overall vision. "The full game that I want to build that was in my head was always like $20 million ... or 21 or 22. It's in that range," Roberts says. "That's kind of what we're shooting for, right now."

So now it's more like $22 million...for the moment....

Uh huh, yeah, not being evasive at all. Care to show us anywhere it's printed in black and white what the specifics are for the SP game, private MP servers - if any, and the MMO portion of the game. I mean if selling ships in the $100s and $1000s is just something anyone can do at any time for free in an SP game or private MP game then what's the incentive for people to buy in the MMO portion of the game? The only reason I can possibly think of is that they have a distinct advantage.

Seems like the people who'll be able to capture and control star bases/sectors will need the best equipment. It'll take forever to grind it, so you'll have to buy it. So, show us on the RSI website where all this is broken down into specifics about what's what. I've gone through their entire About the Game and all I see is a lot of marketing fluff and nothing concrete except that the game is being setup to ensure people will keep spending real money.

Anyone who can't just come out and say things directly is someone not to be trusted. In other words, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. And a bunch of people are going to learn this the hard way. Won't be surprised in the least if we eventually see several class-action suits surrounding this game.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

44. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 14:43 Creston

Iurand wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 14:14:
beaves wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 13:43:
Is this the definition of 'feature creep' ?

If only we had more money then we could add _________.

errr...

$19 million

Manage Space Stations – Players will compete to own and operate a limited number of space stations across the galaxy.

That seems like a new feature to me.

43. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 14:14 Iurand

beaves wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 13:43:
Is this the definition of 'feature creep' ?

If only we had more money then we could add _________.

Creston wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 15:03:
So, odds on the price for that battle cruiser? $5000?

Nothing bigger than Idris will be available to buy in crowdfunding.
And Idris is now $5k.

Cutter wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 21:03:
And what happened to this private funding he had secured? What was it? 10 million he claimed? Well what's their end? You don't just secure funding then turn around and say you don't need it after the agreements have been signed.

10 million was supposed to be given to him if he would be able to get 2 million from crowd. He got 6 and decided to do it fully crowdfunded.

And Aero, you're correct. This is why so many of us won't go in on this. They've been very evasive from day one. You can't get a straight answer from them. Just them always asking for more and more money all the time. And where did he say 20 million was the final goal?

Not final goal, cost of the game is around 20 million.

Joystick interview

42. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 14:03 datachasm

also i wanna add...

dang! i upgraded to digital freelancer awhile back, all said im in $110 on that (+ $30 more from my initial KS pledge, gave my brother a key). love the ship, looks great in the hangar.

realized i want a hornet... dangit it is a $110 ship too... i currently cant justify going in that far. i think the hornet will be the ship used in squadron 42, since in its bio it says this is the fighter ship of the bengal carriers.

also seen some talk about the corvette... i think you can still get it in the $5000 package deal and its not a limited number.

maybe the talk was about the carrier, dunno whatever.

finally, noticed an article about a recent KS, nothing that the SOTS ground pounders KS is live.

41. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 13:54 datachasm

okay here is how private servers will likely work:

freelancer (digital anvil) was roberts game, and intended as a mmo, roberts left game and it rushed to retail missing features, but a complete game.

freelancer you could single player campaign (ie squadron 42). campaign was sequential but the whole universe was there sandbox style.

co-op/multi, you ran a 3mb server app and connected to it, the universe is there complete, but the main campaign quests were gone. all the side quests (taken in station bars, we have seen these in the SC artwork, same thing) were there, trade was there.

this is it folks. difference being SC will have the persistent universe to connect to that was cut from freelancer.

probably cut from concerns over cost. makes sense roberts would add the shop and all that.

40. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 13:39 Dev

Chris Roberts has always said at $20m it would be completely crowd funded and he would prefer to go this route as to not be beholden to private investors.
By then it will be too late to change all this MMO, P2W stuff. I'm convinced this heavy focus on all that was initially coerced by the funding source, since things like F2P and P2W are hot in private funding right now.

39. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 11:53 sauron

Parias wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 21:10:
Lots of good information and duiscussion

As an aside, you sound a lot like my old buddy Parias from the official IWar/IWar2 board - are you the same guy? My handle on that board was sauron1.

If it's the same, how nice to see you again!

Kittens!

38. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 10:53 Dmitri_M

It'll be interesting to see how Cryengine holds up with this. Concerns about it not being capable of large scale Space environments are probably down to Crytech being incapable of producing a game interesting enough to take advantage of their own engine..

This is just nonsense.

It usually is.

37. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 08:53 gray

And what happened to this private funding he had secured? What was it? 10 million he claimed? Well what's their end? You don't just secure funding then turn around and say you don't need it after the agreements have been signed.

And Aero, you're correct. This is why so many of us won't go in on this. They've been very evasive from day one. You can't get a straight answer from them. Just them always asking for more and more money all the time. And where did he say 20 million was the final goal? Ahis says they still have a ways to go. That sounds like a lot more than just another 3 million at this point.

This is just nonsense.

Chris Roberts has always said at $20m it would be completely crowd funded and he would prefer to go this route as to not be beholden to private investors. If needed he has an agreement in principle from other funding sources otherwise known as;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorandum_of_understanding
OR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_of_intent

This is very common practise.

From the 2012 AMA, note the Kickstarter was for a modest $2m the rest was going to be privately funded;

“We have private funding (not publisher funding). The crowd funding side helps to determine how ambitious we can be upfront. The overall game wont cost $20M upfront, but probably by the end of the first year of public release we will have spent that much between the original game and the ongoing content that year”

This has since become a target for full crowdfunding.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2013, 09:03.

36. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 04:11 Flak

Flatline wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 03:47:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 00:07:
While you guys keep piling on that undeserved negativity, I'm busy walking around the cool hangar in the recent hangar module they released to the public.

Ah yes the 3 gig single room model viewer (you only get to see your own purchased ship) with missing textures and a thick layer of Vaseline smeared over the camera lens.

If the hanger module is any indication the whole game should only take up 3 or 4TB of space.

Lol oh you.

This is an unoptimized, pre-pre-alpha version that CIG went out of their way to produce for backers.

Try and be more of a derped out tool, I'm interested to see how you spin the next batch of 'issues'.

35. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 03:47 Flatline

ItBurn wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 00:07:
While you guys keep piling on that undeserved negativity, I'm busy walking around the cool hangar in the recent hangar module they released to the public.

Ah yes the 3 gig single room model viewer (you only get to see your own purchased ship) with missing textures and a thick layer of Vaseline smeared over the camera lens.

If the hanger module is any indication the whole game should only take up 3 or 4TB of space.

34. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 02:25 Wowbagger_TIP

Looks like it's gonna be P2W, at least for backers. Maybe it won't turn out that way, but it looks like it for now. Will definitely be waiting for lots of reviews before getting into this.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

33. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 01:07 Wildone

LOL they got 17 million, they aint gonna miss your $50 so quit whining  

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo