Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's the list of the 10 top-selling games on Steam for the past week. Well, it's usually games, though this list includes a productivity app. Good news for Valve? Bad news for PC gamers? The chance to include three question marks in one post? You decide:

1. Total War: ROME II
  2. PAYDAY 2
  3. Saints Row IV
  4. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist
  5. You Need a Budget
  6. Sid Meier's Civilization V Brave New World
  7. Castlevania: Lords of Shadows - Ultimate Edition
  8. Prison Architect
  9. Game Dev Tycoon
  10. Arma III Beta

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 16:32 Dev

Aero wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:35:
I like the idea behind "You Need a Budget" (so far as I understand it). I probably could have used accounting software designed specifically for people living barely above hand-to-mouth when I was younger. All of my actual "accounting" could probably have been taken care of on a 10 line spreadsheet, so I just kept it in my head. It worked out in the end, but I was at any given time and at best a couple unexpected thousand dollars away from being completely screwed.
One of the nice things about YNAB is you just start using it. It tells you not to worry about digging up all those past expenses. Just run it and start on that day. After you go a month, it will have a good outlook on what your finances are like, and you will have a better grasp on things as time goes on. I mean it will let you put in your car insurance from 3 months ago, but its much less intimidating if you just start it from TODAY. So its not a huge amount of work. Its just you putting in today's bills.
Ozmodan wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 08:03:
When they push the envelope this far just because they can, THQ deserves all the crap they get about this game.
If parents don't want their kids playing stuff with mature content (and they have every right to have the choice to not want that), maybe they shouldn't buy them games marked with M on the cover?
Some people like games like GTA or SR, whats wrong with letting those people play them? If YOU PERSONALLY don't want to play it, hey more power to you.

They had 1 million sales in first week (triple the SR3 numbers) so its not like there's zero demand for this kinda thing.

Protip: THQ is gone and dead. Bankrupt. Deep Silver bought the IP at auction, and they are the ones who released SR4.
I dunno if your hate for this game is from a general hate of THQ or not, but if so, they are dead. You can celebrate now.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2013, 16:43.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 16:21 Aero

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 13:51:
The problem with keeping it all in your head is that you don't pay attention to all the money you spend, outside of bills and other necessities. So long as you have $XXX on hand at the end of the month, you think you're good. Putting it down on [virtual] paper makes you more accountable, gives you a more tangible feeling of progress (paying off debt, saving, etc.), and helps you keep track of mid- and long-term goals. You could argue that those things are still helpful even for people who are "too rich to need a budget."

For instance, it's easier to stay strong during a Steam sale if you have a total spending figure that you've budgeted for, as opposed to general knowledge of how much money (or credit) you have available. You might arrive at such a figure by putting aside a little bit of extra money you have leftover every month into a "Steam Sale" fund, so that you don't end up eating nothing but ramen noodles in July or December/January. :p

This is true, although back then I would just take out a certain amount of cash and that was my discretionary spending. That would be nearly impossible these days though. I even tried to make a point of using cash whenever I could for a few years, but eventually gave up. I probably have bills in my wallet now that have been there for nearly a year.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 16:01 Fion

ASeven wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 14:44:
The Outlast and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs coming out in the next 2 weeks. These will be a memorable couple of weeks for horror lovers.

Oh no. That means I have to man up and actually finish Amnesia: the Dark Descent.

Wonderful...

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 15:47 Wowbagger_TIP

Parias wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 15:18:
Ozmodan wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 13:46:
At least some people wised up and avoided Saints Row IV. Horrible game.

What's so horrible about it? I'm having a hilarious co-op adventure with my friend in it so far.

I'm actually a bit saddened Lost Planet 3 didn't make this list; I just beat it and it's a surprisingly fun game. There are one or two issues, but the singleplayer component is WAY better than any of it's predecessors - they took a whole new approach to it.

He seems to be some sort of SR4-specific troll here. That or he's just off his meds and fixated on that game as the source of the world's ills.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 15:26 J

Creston wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 15:17:
nin wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:51:

And hey, two weeks w/o Skyrim - who's slacking over there?!

I think they've now sold a copy to every single member of the human race, so they're trying to come up with some way to make people double-dip.
ESO. Amirite?

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 15:18 Parias

What's so horrible about it? I'm having a hilarious co-op adventure with my friend in it so far.

I'm actually a bit saddened Lost Planet 3 didn't make this list; I just beat it and it's a surprisingly fun game. There are one or two issues, but the singleplayer component is WAY better than any of it's predecessors - they took a whole new approach to it.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 15:17 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:51:

I think they've now sold a copy to every single member of the human race, so they're trying to come up with some way to make people double-dip.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 14:44 ASeven

The Outlast and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs coming out in the next 2 weeks. These will be a memorable couple of weeks for horror lovers.  

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 14:35 Shok

Been using YNAB since March and love it. I still "cheat" some and spend more than I should but it has still helped for bill planning a ton.  

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 13:51 jacobvandy

Aero wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:35:
I like the idea behind "You Need a Budget" (so far as I understand it). I probably could have used accounting software designed specifically for people living barely above hand-to-mouth when I was younger. All of my actual "accounting" could probably have been taken care of on a 10 line spreadsheet, so I just kept it in my head. It worked out in the end, but I was at any given time and at best a couple unexpected thousand dollars away from being completely screwed.

The problem with keeping it all in your head is that you don't pay attention to all the money you spend, outside of bills and other necessities. So long as you have $XXX on hand at the end of the month, you think you're good. Putting it down on [virtual] paper makes you more accountable, gives you a more tangible feeling of progress (paying off debt, saving, etc.), and helps you keep track of mid- and long-term goals. You could argue that those things are still helpful even for people who are "too rich to need a budget."

For instance, it's easier to stay strong during a Steam sale if you have a total spending figure that you've budgeted for, as opposed to general knowledge of how much money (or credit) you have available. You might arrive at such a figure by putting aside a little bit of extra money you have leftover every month into a "Steam Sale" fund, so that you don't end up eating nothing but ramen noodles in July or December/January. :p

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 13:48 nin

At least we have you, to post the same stupid shit.

Re: U.K. Sales Charts - Saints Row IV Aug 27, 2013, 21:49 Ozmodan

Dumb game, a lot of lemmings will buy it anyways.

Re: Saints Row IV Steam Preloads Aug 17, 2013, 06:02 Ozmodan

Won't be buying this one, there are a lot better games out there than this.

Re: Saints Row IV Still RC Down Under Jul 29, 2013, 11:12 Ozmodan

Stupid game, hope it flops. At least the Aussies have the huspah to condemn it.

There are tons of bad parents out there that will let their kids play this.

Re: Saints Row 4 Jul 2, 2013, 15:24 Ozmodan

Well if the dumb ass developers had half a sense of what not to put in a game like this, they would not have this problem. Despite the rating, kids in their early teens will be playing this, whether their parents know it or not. It is not an aussie problem, it is immature developers not recognizing limits.

Re: Saints Row IV Video Jun 29, 2013, 07:59 Ozmodan

Personally I think this game is a POS. If you want to really throw money away have at it, but I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole!

Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 26, 2013, 08:03 Ozmodan

Don't need a moral horse to know this game is a piece of trash. And people wonder why legislators are calling for game reform. When they push the envelope this far just because they can, THQ deserves all the crap they get about this game.

Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 11:55 Ozmodan

Seriously, this title gets worse with every new version.

While I do not like the practice of banning anything, developers like this give the entire industry a black eye. Come on THQ, exercising such bad taste with a game like this is just beyond stupid.

What is the enamorment of being a sleaze bag? Someone gave me Saints Row III and once I realized that it was trash, I put it where it belonged.

edit: There we go! Chow down, little troll.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2013, 13:56.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 13:46 Ozmodan

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 12:21 J

I'm still enjoying Blacklist. Better than I thought it would be. Much better.  

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 11:52 eRe4s3r

Rome II ... Rome II ... Rome II

The next week is going to be disappearing into nothingness I guess...

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 11:51 nin

Good to see Payday and SR4 continuing to do well. Think the last patch mostly fixed SR4.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 11:35 Aero

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo