Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Credit Sales

Roberts Space Industries announces the Hangar Store is now open for Star Citizen, well in advance of the launch of the space combat game (thanks IncGamers). Chris Roberts explains this is a way for players to support development of the game, so they don't have to start shaking out couch cushions when they run through their $17 million+ in crowd funding, saying:

As previously stated, additional Imperials will be available for purchase within the limitations discussed above. Please keep in mind that you are not under any obligation to purchase Imperials at this time. We are giving you the option right now because there isn’t a way to earn credits in the game (as we’re still building it!) and this is a great way to let you support the development of the game as well as play with other game elements we’ve already created. But be warned, purchasing a stock of extra lasers through the catalog right now will not provide any great advantage when Star Citizen launches; there will be a lot more to discover in the living universe and some of the best weapons or upgrades will have to be earned through gameplay or sought out by traveling to the appropriate planet to buy them. Ultimately all items in the store today and in game will be purchasable via UEC earned in game. Outside of the initial ship package everything will be purchasable through UEC in the final game. There is no pay to win here!

View
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

68. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 3, 2013, 08:51 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 08:36:
Wildone wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 20:47:
where the fuck do these people get that kinda disposable income..
Being single helps, being irresponsible with your money really helps. Odds are many of the people who bought $1,250 ships, really should have put that money into a retirement account. That said, many people spend that much and more on lots of stuff. Hell, I remember buying $125-$200 bowling balls at least one per year back when it had my interest. Golf is good for spending money, never got that bug.

Exactly - a hobby is a hobby.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

67. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 3, 2013, 08:36 Mr. Tact

Wildone wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 20:47:
where the fuck do these people get that kinda disposable income..
Being single helps, being irresponsible with your money really helps. Odds are many of the people who bought $1,250 ships, really should have put that money into a retirement account. That said, many people spend that much and more on lots of stuff. Hell, I remember buying $125-$200 bowling balls at least one per year back when it had my interest. Golf is good for spending money, never got that bug.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

66. Re: Solved Sep 2, 2013, 00:43 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 16:20:
Flatline wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 12:24:
I'm amazed at the amount of people who are totally cool with the idea of buying shit at a high premium without ever actually *seeing* the game and relying on the hype that it'll be awesome.
Yeah, it IS strange to start up a store for a game that's more than a year from being released. Maybe it's just another way that enthusiastic supporters can throw money at the game in development? One thing I've noticed with crowd funded games is that the devs are extremely motivated to give backers what they want. That and the constant feedback helps shape the game. Crowdfunding is still a very nascent process, and it will be interesting to see how this shakes out 10 years from now.

The monetization of this game is insane and unprecedented and that's indisputable.
I dunno, Elder Scrolls Online has them beat IMO: Full price game, monthly fee, microtransactions, and who knows what else they'll come up with. It uses both the full price MMO pay structure and the free to play MMO pay structure. Given that Bethesda fans are used to paying one fee for the whole game (a la Guild Wars) I'm not sure why they think that players will put up with being nickeled and dollared.

I meant charging money for items that won't be seen in-game in a final version for upwards of a year or more.

This is a new revenue model and I'm not sure it's a good thing. I really don't want to have to nickel and dime something from Ubisoft to see it developed but I can see that model being tried- where probably 50-80% of a game's sales happen *before* it ships, and the more you spend the better the game gets.

65. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 19:16 CJ_Parker

datachasm wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:04:
whoever said Roberts had no MMO experience obviously did not play Freelancer, which if i remember correct was intended to be exactly what he is promising with SC.

You obviously have some serious memory issues. Short term and long term memory issues. First, it was me who said that Roberts has no prior MMO experience and that's also 100% true since he has not worked on a MMO before. Freelancer was a sandbox game with multiplayer. Not a MMO, not even by a long shot. Big difference.

that was a great game, and you could tell certain areas were incomplete: like the ship sensors which were functioning but really didnt do anything (like target ship systems, etc). i think the game was rushed in the end and Roberts left the project.

Yep. Totally "rushed" with a total of over six years of development under its belt and almost two years of delays beyond its initial release target because, as usual for CR back in the day (and seemingly still today looking at SC's insane features list and the 2014 release date which is LOL-worthy at best), it was way too ambitious.

Besides he left when he sold out to Microsoft and only took the role of an outside consultant. That was in late 2000, early 2001. Freelancer was released in 2003. So Chris Roberts didn't even do any day to day work on the project for the last two years leading up to the release of the game.
So, hypothetically, even if Freelancer would have been a MMO you would still be hard pressed to say that CR has any MMO experience since he left long before the game's completion and has no experience handling a live MMO game (which is an entirely different beast than a multiplayer sandbox game).

64. Re: Solved Sep 1, 2013, 16:20 jdreyer

I'm amazed at the amount of people who are totally cool with the idea of buying shit at a high premium without ever actually *seeing* the game and relying on the hype that it'll be awesome.
Yeah, it IS strange to start up a store for a game that's more than a year from being released. Maybe it's just another way that enthusiastic supporters can throw money at the game in development? One thing I've noticed with crowd funded games is that the devs are extremely motivated to give backers what they want. That and the constant feedback helps shape the game. Crowdfunding is still a very nascent process, and it will be interesting to see how this shakes out 10 years from now.

The monetization of this game is insane and unprecedented and that's indisputable.
I dunno, Elder Scrolls Online has them beat IMO: Full price game, monthly fee, microtransactions, and who knows what else they'll come up with. It uses both the full price MMO pay structure and the free to play MMO pay structure. Given that Bethesda fans are used to paying one fee for the whole game (a la Guild Wars) I'm not sure why they think that players will put up with being nickeled and dollared.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

63. Re: Solved Sep 1, 2013, 16:05 jdreyer

sauron wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:56:
I generally love space sims, but this one has too much weird stuff going on for me to trust it. I might try the single player part of it but am NOT going to even enter the MMO. Go up against some guy in a $1250 corvette? No thanks.

Funny thing is, all I play these days is MMOs. I know P2W when I see it, and I see it clearly right here.

Most blatant example I've ever encountered, actually. Shocked.

Do you play EVE? They don't sell ships for money, but anyone with more time in the game is going to have a more powerful ship than you. Not pay-to-win, but play-to-win for sure. Time or money, there's not much difference it seems to me.

62. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 16:03 Dev

The monetization of this game is insane and unprecedented and that's indisputable. If EA opened up DLC sales 18 months before their next Call of Duty game there'd be rioting on these boards and it'd be 60 pages claiming EA is the devil.
Don't worry, EA will be next
They are watching this example closely, don't worry. If this succeeds, EA will start doing stuff like this. If they offered a "discount" on the virtual goods before a game was released, a bunch of people would get it. Blizzard could probably easily get away with something similar. Their next MMO game, before release if they sold mounts or whatever, they'd sell a ton.

61. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 16:01 jdreyer

@ Rigs

As a kickstarter supporter of star citizen (tried buying it on the Roberts server, but it kept shitting the bed on me) I am optimistic about how this will turn out.

That being said, that fake retrospective is sheer genius.

60. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 13:45 Dev

Ryan Lange wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 00:20:
Dev wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 15:15:
Just because they offer in game ways of getting the stuff, doesn't mean its not a P2W.

I keep seeing this sentiment more and more, and it's complete nonsense. It seems to me that there are some people so hell-bent on denouncing anything free-to-play as "pay-to-win" that they've gone so far as to redefine "pay-to-win" to include the ability to pay real money for things you could get without real money.

That's just dumb. I pity the people who have fallen for that nonsense.
I've played F2P, I've played P2W, I've played MMOs. This has elements of all of them.
This game doesn't have only aesthetic items for real money purchases. They offer actual game changing items for sale for real money.
Its of course not a pure pay 2 win, where the ONLY way you can get ahead is to pay. Those games tend not to let you get any premium currency except by cash, and tons of exclusive items only available by that premium currency. That's not this game.

BUT, you can still get ahead in this game by paying. Sure the other players can earn the credits without paying over a period of time, but they will tend to be behind the people who are paying. As well, there are some exclusive features that one can only get by paying (such as the LTI).
So yeah, this game has elements of P2W.

That's my reasoning, feel free to respond with yours instead of name calling.

59. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 13:30 Dev

Dev wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 18:30:
They added some subscriptions for people who want to get more dev updates, or some such. So far, its not for the game yet. But who knows. Its still early days.
Incidentally about subscriptions, there's an entire part of the terms when you run the hanger program that goes over them.
B. Paid Subscription Services

If you pay a recurring (e.g. monthly) subscription for an RSI Service, RSI will provide you with notice of any changes to the fees or billing methods at least thirty (30) days in advance
By agreeing to these Terms of Service and purchasing a recurring subscription, you will have agreed to permit RSI to automatically renew your subscription to an RSI Service by charging a valid credit card
etc. So yeah, I'm convinced they will end up with subscriptions (perhaps optional or premium account ones) for the game itself at some point.

As a side note, the terms illegally state you give up any rights to sue
YOU UNDERSTAND AND HEREBY AGREE THAT YOU HEREBY WAIVE THE RIGHT TO SUE IN COURT AND HAVE A JURY TRIAL.
And of course the by now standard no class actions.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2013, 13:36.

58. Re: Solved Sep 1, 2013, 12:24 Flatline

Comet wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:14:
Some people will want to keep the drama going. I myself was disappointed with the cash shop at first, but they have indeed given a pretty long and detailed post covering all concerns. And quite frankly everything seams logic. They also ask the community what we would like them to do.
And as I write this the vast majority has voted that they accept the current situation and there is no need for any change.
By the way I voted for a 50% decrease on the prices in the store but I'm not the majority. And quite frankly this guys gave a quick answer to the discussion specially considering that this is a WEEKEND.
I donīt know what more can we ask for. They're doing a terrific job and are indeed listening to the players.
Star Citizen wonīt be pay to win just like Guild Wars 2 isnīt pay to win. Just ask the overwhelming majority of GW2 players.
By the way. One simple detail people seam to forget. Star Citizen will support player run servers much like what is possible to do with Freelancer.

The monetization of this game is insane and unprecedented and that's indisputable. If EA opened up DLC sales 18 months before their next Call of Duty game there'd be rioting on these boards and it'd be 60 pages claiming EA is the devil.

I also haven't forgotten private servers. I'm expecting them to be nerfed and/or dropped completely or have such steep server requirements that it's effectively a non-item in order to support the monetization of the game.

Hey, I already sunk money into this and if the game is as awesome as the hype I'll publicly eat crow here.

57. Re: Solved Sep 1, 2013, 11:56 sauron

I generally love space sims, but this one has too much weird stuff going on for me to trust it. I might try the single player part of it but am NOT going to even enter the MMO. Go up against some guy in a $1250 corvette? No thanks.

Funny thing is, all I play these days is MMOs. I know P2W when I see it, and I see it clearly right here.

Most blatant example I've ever encountered, actually. Shocked.

Kittens!

56. Solved Sep 1, 2013, 11:14 Comet

Some people will want to keep the drama going. I myself was disappointed with the cash shop at first, but they have indeed given a pretty long and detailed post covering all concerns. And quite frankly everything seams logic. They also ask the community what we would like them to do.
And as I write this the vast majority has voted that they accept the current situation and there is no need for any change.
By the way I voted for a 50% decrease on the prices in the store but I'm not the majority. And quite frankly this guys gave a quick answer to the discussion specially considering that this is a WEEKEND.
I donīt know what more can we ask for. They're doing a terrific job and are indeed listening to the players.
Star Citizen wonīt be pay to win just like Guild Wars 2 isnīt pay to win. Just ask the overwhelming majority of GW2 players.
By the way. One simple detail people seam to forget. Star Citizen will support player run servers much like what is possible to do with Freelancer.

55. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 11:04 datachasm

whoever said Roberts had no MMO experience obviously did not play Freelancer, which if i remember correct was intended to be exactly what he is promising with SC.

that was a great game, and you could tell certain areas were incomplete: like the ship sensors which were functioning but really didnt do anything (like target ship systems, etc). i think the game was rushed in the end and Roberts left the project. it was still great, me and the gf son used to play all the time, i ran a 2-3 mb server app on my PC and he joined me, and it held the persistent universe.

my main concern presently, is that if the game is meant to be PC, why is it handling like a port? i get sluggish "porty" free look and all that. another problem, is that the extra stuff, like animation to sit in your ships cockpit, is just that, animation. its nothing special and after you have seen it a few times in game you will get over it. it will be like launching in Freelancer, an animation of your ship leaving a station or planet, just slows you down. the Rouge System KS looked really cool as far as the cockpit, you powered up and down ship systems, had to deal with climate control and all that, very immersive.

and the game credits, i still have not seen the shop so i cant really comment. hopefully its shored up and they become more valuable. i am not against this but it can become a money pit so i can see where there are concerns. this will be a big deal how its handled. i sunk plenty of cash into LOTRO to buy credits and unlock quest packs and all that, and then each expansion coming out just gave the quest packs away and made my purchases redundant and ran me off. hopefully SC is a better game for me and this is not the case.

54. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 09:49 Tom

Haha. This controversy might scare off a few radical nutjobs but the vast majority of people are going to just chill and see how the game actually turns out. Y'know, like after it's ACTUALLY RELEASED.

Some people are just looking for any excuse to bash anything and everything in sight. Let em truly earn it, I say.

53. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2013, 09:19 Rigs

In our ongoing series where we look back at the first batch of Kickstarter-era mega-stars and how they actually turned out compared to what was proposed, we continue with Part 2 of our look at Star Citizen, Chris Robert's return to his beloved space combat genre. In Part 1 we discussed the very beginning, the dream Robert's had for the game and the outpouring of support during it's funding campaign that surprised many in the industry. We also began to touch on the goals Robert's and his team were trying to accomplish, the promises made and, ultimately, the promises that weren't kept...

Early in the development, after the Kickstarter campaign and relaunch of the website, during the dog-days of Summer 2013, Robert's and company released the 'Hangar Module' for those that had backed the program, along with a new cash store where backers could buy items and ships. The response was immediate and surprising.

Roberts: "We didn't think it (the store) would be perceived the way it was. That was very unfortunate."

Roberts was quick to explain the reasoning for the store to the public in order to deflect some of the backlash. In a short response on the game's forums, Roberts wrote, 'Hey guys - long story short, we hear you. The VD store ended up coming across pretty much exactly the opposite way we wanted. We're working out a plan right now to make this right and I will have more for you as soon as possible. ', then added, 'I promise the goal was not to beg for extra money, and hopefully we will be able to prove that!'

Only the problem was that they were, indeed, out to get extra funding, though they couldn't dare admit it at the time.

Roberts: "Yeah, that was something we had to keep very quiet about, given the amount of money that had already been acquired through various means (upwards of 17-million-dollars). I made a private promise to my 'other' investors that I would not say anything about who they were or how much they had dedicated to the project."

This rather insignificant misstep would have just been a quickly forgotten gaffe during the development of any other game, normally. However, the stakes being as high as they were for Star Citizen and the fact that the gamers themselves were intricately and actively involved in the development process, meant that this error in judgement started forming doubts in the mind of some of the most loyal supporters. While only a small and disorganized minority at first, it would only take another faulty public relations decision to blow the door of dissent wide open...

(HOME) - (PAGE 1) - (PAGE 2) - (PAGE 3) - (PAGE 4) - (BACK)

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

52. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 08:25 Julio

Flo wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 07:11:
Will this start a new age of space sim games? The big publishers must have noticed this by now.

Hopefully yes, but all they're probably taking away from it is selling micro-transactions in advance of launch.

51. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 07:11 Flo

Will this start a new age of space sim games? The big publishers must have noticed this by now.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

50. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 05:24 ledhead1969

While you can technically earn the same stuff that people by the system is set up as to discourage people from grinding and encourage them to buy stuff instead. That's why it's considered P2W. Spend a few hundred bucks to have an immediate advantage over players who will have grind for several years real time to level the playing field is P2W anyway you slice it.

^^^^^

49. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 05:07 Julio

Flatline wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 03:20:
This whole "we're doing this so that people who want to support the game can" is bullshit. I already showed my support for the game. I backed it remember assholes?

If you truly were a supporter of the game you would have bought the $1200 ship, or at least that's what they want you to think

68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo