Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Natural Selection 2 Expansion Released; Free Weekend Underway

Unknown Worlds announces the release of the Reinforced expansion for Natural Selection 2, offering new free content for their action/strategy sequel. The release is free, but you know what they say about free lunches, and they have launched a Reinforcement Program which seeks funding to continue to produce such content. To see if you think it's worth it, a free weekend for the game us currently underway on Steam, and the game is on sale for 75% off. This launch trailer shows off the new add-on, and here's word:

Female Marines. Cluster Grenades. Biodome. Bone shield. Webs. Dual Railguns. Linux Support. Single Player Interactive Tutorial, Commander Tutorial, Special/Deluxe/Standard first person view models Those are just some of the pieces of content released today. Look further back, and the updates have flowed . Released incrementally to everyone that owned NS2 before the release of Reinforced, twenty-four individual updates have dramatically increased performance, improved map layouts, completely revamped NS2 balance mechanics, and more. Together, these twenty four updates make Reinforced a monstor that everyone at Unknown Worlds is immensely proud of.

We are also immensely proud that Reinforced is free. Six months of game development is not cheap, and we have often discussed how we might continue to pay for keeping the studio focused on Natural Selection 2 full time. Various options were discussed Including making Reinforced a separate Steam DLC, or introducing in-game micro-tran$actions. But these monetisation methods do not fit with our culture. Knowing we must pay the bills to keep the lights on, we decided to introduce the Reinforcement Program:

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Natural Selection 2 Expansion Released; Free Weekend Underway Aug 31, 2013, 14:38 Armengar

I'll post a link to this thread from the main boards. I started to lose interst after patch 249. The latest couple of patches have made the game confusing and (quite frankly) unplayable for me. UWE are a great team but they change fundamental things in one patch without any communication on it, then change again a week later. All this breaks the mods and pisses some people off (who dont have time to relearn.)

agreed that it is good to evolve but not without reason. As you say the tutorial is borked so god help newbies.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Natural Selection 2 Expansion Released; Free Weekend Underway Aug 31, 2013, 11:10 yuastnav

If I remember correctly one of the reasons why they went for their own engine is dynamic infestation. It didn't work that well with the Source engine.  

11. Re: Natural Selection 2 Expansion Released; Free Weekend Underway Aug 31, 2013, 10:02 eRe4s3r

Overon wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 06:16:
Overall I think the game is great. The 2nd to last patch screwed up people's frame rate. However I haven't really noticed probably because I got a beefy rig. Since release if the game they have released over 50 patches. Not quite Team Fortress 2 territory but commendable. I think they will address the frame rate issue that people are complaining about. Also I have dine the tutorials and they have been working fine for me.

Maybe addressing these issues should have been done before the free weekend, NS2 is never again gonna get this much attention for free. Anyhow, for me the Tutorial never proceeded past the "move into the blue shizzle to join marines"

10. Re: Natural Selection 2 Expansion Released; Free Weekend Underway Aug 31, 2013, 06:16 Overon

Overall I think the game is great. The 2nd to last patch screwed up people's frame rate. However I haven't really noticed probably because I got a beefy rig. Since release if the game they have released over 50 patches. Not quite Team Fortress 2 territory but commendable. I think they will address the frame rate issue that people are complaining about. Also I have dine the tutorials and they have been working fine for me.  

9. Re: Natural Selection 2 Expansion Released; Free Weekend Underway Aug 31, 2013, 05:01 bigspender

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 01:48:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 22:08:
PHJF wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 21:58:
The performance was abysmal

Primary reason I stopped playing after only a few weeks. You CANNOT suffer framerate issues in a game this focused on precision aiming.

So this isn't just because the new expansion just released? Nmhhh.... anyway, for a First Impression this one was an epic fail. For me the non working Tutorial was worse, because the game seems to have become even more opaque for a new player.
No, performance was bad for a while, then it got better a few patches ago, then literally the day before this free weekend they released this new patch which DESTROYED performance. It's stupid and they're losing hundreds if not thousands of sales because of it. It's really sad. I love the game and I want it to succeed but they're shooting themselves in the foot and I don't know why.

yeah i take my last comment back, i gave it go but the performance is currently terrible.

still feels like you are moving in mud its awful.

8. Re: Natural Selection 2 Expansion Released; Free Weekend Underway Aug 31, 2013, 04:09 RaZ0r!

I'm not sure why this MOD team felt the need to create their own engine? It's been nothing but a thorn in their side. No 5.1 audio, poor poor performance, etc. They should have just stuck with the source engine, I'm sure someone at Valve would have helped them out a little on their special needs like rendering the environmental stuff.  

7. Re: Natural Selection 2 Expansion Released; Free Weekend Underway Aug 31, 2013, 01:48 TychoCelchuuu

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 22:08:

Primary reason I stopped playing after only a few weeks. You CANNOT suffer framerate issues in a game this focused on precision aiming.

So this isn't just because the new expansion just released? Nmhhh.... anyway, for a First Impression this one was an epic fail. For me the non working Tutorial was worse, because the game seems to have become even more opaque for a new player.
No, performance was bad for a while, then it got better a few patches ago, then literally the day before this free weekend they released this new patch which DESTROYED performance. It's stupid and they're losing hundreds if not thousands of sales because of it. It's really sad. I love the game and I want it to succeed but they're shooting themselves in the foot and I don't know why.

6. Re: Natural Selection 2 Expansion Released; Free Weekend Underway Aug 30, 2013, 22:34 bigspender

loomy wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 22:22:
these are good guys and they made a good effort. but they haven't made a good game. sorry folks

Its probably not as good as NS1, but sure is a lot prettier
With the last few updates the frame rate / performance is through the roof, nearly as good as Source games.

Plus if you pick it up at 75% off, then you're doing pretty well. Even if you only play it for a weekend, at that price its cheaper than seeing a movie.

5. Re: Natural Selection 2 Expansion Released; Free Weekend Underway Aug 30, 2013, 22:22 loomy

these are good guys and they made a good effort. but they haven't made a good game. sorry folks

4. Re: Natural Selection 2 Expansion Released; Free Weekend Underway Aug 30, 2013, 22:08 eRe4s3r

3. Re: Natural Selection 2 Expansion Released; Free Weekend Underway Aug 30, 2013, 21:58 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: Natural Selection 2 Expansion Released; Free Weekend Underway Aug 30, 2013, 21:42 eRe4s3r

Gonna be a real pretty sight once people who didn't buy it yet start playing this.. So I tried the free weekend thingy.. was a """"great"""" experience. Can't even put enough "'s there.

I must be misunderstanding the point of free weekends.... also if that is "dramatically improved performance" then either they introduced a major rendering bug in the last patch or they speak a different language. The performance was abysmal and especially for someone who never played NS2 a real kicker, the tutorial didn't work....

1. Re: Natural Selection 2 Expansion Released; Free Weekend Underway Aug 30, 2013, 21:32 TychoCelchuuu

Bought in at Shadow level - might've bought in at Onos level if it hadn't sold out immediately. I've been a fan of Natural Selection since before the original mod came out - that's more than a decade now. Yikes!  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo