Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November

The Baldur's Gate II website is now accepting pre-purchases of Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition, and Overhaul Games announces the spiffed-up version of the RPG sequel is due on November 15th, suggesting the project's "legal hell" may now be all cleared up (thanks nin). Here's word:

Lead your party of skilled adventurers into intense, tactical battles. Lure your enemies into deadly traps, call down magical meteors to smash them, and stop time itself to win the day. A diverse array of powers and abilities let you transform into a being of pure elemental force, or wield the might of the heavens with the Holy Avenger.

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition combines both Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal. Bundled with the game on PC and Mac, and available as DLC on iPad and Android, are four diverse new characters, each with their own epic quest. Venture to the distant sands of Zakhara with your new companions, or lead them in a raid upon the home of the gods.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 31, 2013, 13:11 MoreLuckThanSkill

What the hell, did anybody watch the trailer on that site? What's with all the swooping in 3d views of areas? That seems like it would get old real quick.

I'm torn on getting this, I avoided buying BG1EE, as I have several versions of that already, Disc, Gog, etc. Same story for BG2EE, but some of the improvements, aside from the 3d camera panning intros, seem pretty nice.

Regardless, I'd have to wait for basic mod compatibility, so this can't be a day one purchase anyway. BG2 without Tactics and other extra/improved encounters is just boring.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 31, 2013, 09:05 Quinn

Domgrief wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 23:37:
Quinn wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 21:25:
Off-topic: Since we're talking about an ancient game here, let's go further back. Does anyone know the name of the sidescroller where you were a guy (I think named Dave?) fighting monsters? The most memorable thing for me was the part where, if you died, a small window showed exactly how brutally he died. ie, getting his head bitten off by a werewolf. Can't remember the title and for some weird reason it's nagging at me lately..

Do you mean Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion?

You may recognise the names of some of the developers of the game: John Romero, John Carmack, Adrian Carmack, Tom Hall.

Haha, great! Thanks! It wasn't that game I played but Dangerous Dave's Risky Rescue, it seems!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

16. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 31, 2013, 08:20 eRe4s3r

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 23:32:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 22:17:

Ps.: NWN is still nice to play even now.... and so is BG2. Although I wouldn't play BG2 without some "ease of use" mods anymore... like removing locked chests and traps, everything Identified, stackable stuff... more carry weight, etc.
Ahh we're spoiled now. Makes me wonder how PE or PS:N are going to fair in some peoples minds if they have those in them.

Heh yeah After 9 complete playthroughs, 3 heavily modded, there is not much allure to playing Native again, if I'd play BG2 it'd be for the combat and companion reasons.

I don't mind it being there on the first few playthroughs. and it remains to be seen whether PE is something that is worth playing through more than once.

By the way, I remove traps and locks because these are essentially just free XP for no challenge. I don't walk into rooms like they show in that trailer, always stealthed rogue first ,p Gets boring after the 9th time... also just like in NWN1 there is no way to boost your disarm trap roll with an item.... and that is one of these things I don't like either. It to some extend limits your character development

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2013, 08:30.

15. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 31, 2013, 04:18 nin

Cram wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 04:13:
nin wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 04:04:
Many wonderful memories of BG2 - I basically learned (at least a rough version of) D+D, by playing it...("WTF is this THAC0 shit???")

Minsc is/was the best sidekick ever.

Was Minsc really the best sidekick? Or was it Minsc's boy Boo that TRULY was the best sidekick in the game?

Go for the eyes.

I just remember Minsc charging into a room and triggering a trap, and saying something about "whoops!" that made me laugh out loud.

At the end of Throne of Bhaal, where you learn what happened to your friends after the game ended, I was genuinely saddened when I read Minsc's part - I felt like I lost a friend. To evoke that kind of emotion from the player is just awesome, and a testament to how good the game was.

Dammit, Bioware really had their shit together back then.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

14. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 31, 2013, 04:13 Cram

nin wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 04:04:
Many wonderful memories of BG2 - I basically learned (at least a rough version of) D+D, by playing it...("WTF is this THAC0 shit???")

Was Minsc really the best sidekick? Or was it Minsc's boy Boo that TRULY was the best sidekick ever?

Go for the eyes.

13. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 31, 2013, 04:04 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

12. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 31, 2013, 03:57 Soulburner

I absolutely love how this looks and I will gladly play this game again  

11. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 31, 2013, 03:44 Cutter

I can't get behind this stuff because I played these games so much I honestly remember them back and forward to this day.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 31, 2013, 02:30 Cram

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 23:32:

Ps.: NWN is still nice to play even now.... and so is BG2. Although I wouldn't play BG2 without some "ease of use" mods anymore... like removing locked chests and traps, everything Identified, stackable stuff... more carry weight, etc.
Ahh we're spoiled now. Makes me wonder how PE or PS:N are going to fair in some peoples minds if they have those in them.

I have to admit, this is pushing it, and I not and never have been a D&D player. I guess even for people that never touched a D&D adventure, the rules are too TOUGH. Never mind the multitude of items in BG2 that give you 400+ carrying weight, and several identifying abilities aren't OP already. Oh, and those bags of holding....ya. As for traps, how boring going through an ancient dungeon not traveled in hundreds of years NOT to have an arrow one shot you in the head at a wrong step. It's Baldur's Gate with fireball traps and pissed off spiders, not Faceroll Gate.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2013, 02:42.

9. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 31, 2013, 00:14 HorrorScope

We get pissed at games coming out yoy. Well I'm still waiting for them to finish the first one so I can buy it. I haven't been impressed so far with Beamdog.  

8. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 30, 2013, 23:37 Domgrief

Quinn wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 21:25:
Off-topic: Since we're talking about an ancient game here, let's go further back. Does anyone know the name of the sidescroller where you were a guy (I think named Dave?) fighting monsters? The most memorable thing for me was the part where, if you died, a small window showed exactly how brutally he died. ie, getting his head bitten off by a werewolf. Can't remember the title and for some weird reason it's nagging at me lately..

Do you mean Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion?

You may recognise the names of some of the developers of the game: John Romero, John Carmack, Adrian Carmack, Tom Hall.

7. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 30, 2013, 23:32 Mashiki Amiketo

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

6. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 30, 2013, 22:17 eRe4s3r

Blackthorne?

or do you mean Another World / Out of this world?

Besides those 2 I can't think of anything else ;p

5. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 30, 2013, 21:25 Quinn

Hmm, I've bought and played the new BG1 edition and the game aged like raw chicken in the sunlight. While the graphics and gameplay are a thing of the past that I gladly leave behind, it did give me the urge to replay NWN 1 and 2.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

4. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 30, 2013, 20:55 eRe4s3r

While I am all for bringing the best RPG ever made to a greater audience, that trailer is not a particular good representation of what BG2 is about or how it plays. And one thing is for sure, there will be 0 3D camera motions in BG2.. ever. So wonder why they show them...

And walking through traps like they show is the fastest way to the reload screen there is.... ^^

3. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 30, 2013, 20:48 Jivaro

Buying these for an iPad I can do. I can't really make a legitimate argument for buying it on PC.  

2. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 30, 2013, 20:23 Cram

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 20:22:
I'm sure I'll grab it. After it's been out for a while and patched many times.

Ya this, maybe, and confirmation that I can up the game speed. Wasn't impressed by the BG1 EE, and while happy to support the BG cause I wish I hadn't bought it. I've just never been able to get BG TUTU to work properly, or at all, so I went for the EE.

1. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 30, 2013, 20:22 Pineapple Ferguson

I'm sure I'll grab it. After it's been out for a while and patched many times.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo