Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More BF4 Commander Mode Details

The Battlefield Blog has a new Road to Battlefield 4 feature with a look at the return of Commander Mode to the military shooter series. They offer a look at the way Commander Mode worked in BF2 and discuss how it will work in BF4, sheepishly noting it is coming "back to the battlefield where it belongs, just as the community so many times has reminded me." This includes similarities to BF2 as well as changes, and there is a lot of detail to digest, but this part offers an overview:

In Battlefield 4, one of Lead Multiplayer Designer Thomas Andersson’s main goals was to create more Commander vs. Commander gameplay (similar to what can be seen in RTS games) than we’ve had before in the series. We also wanted to make it accessible on many platforms. When we had the technology to do real-time 3D and bring the hectic Battlefield to the Commander’s screen, we knew we wanted to focus on that and give the Commander live feedback on his actions in-game. More importantly, we wanted the Commander to be able to see his teams’ actions so the Commander could better support them.

We also decided to make the very important change of making the role of Commander a full-time job. There is no possibility of going between 1st person and Commander Mode like in BF2. We wanted to ensure the Commander is dedicated to supporting the whole team, not just themselves. We all remembered the BF2 “Commander supporting himself while in a tank ignoring his team” worst case scenario, and that’s something we wanted to avoid happening again.

Finally, we wanted to bring Commander Mode to mobile platforms. We made sure the mobile versions of it were on par with console and PC versions, to ensure any Commander can effectively support their team even when they’re away from home.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: More BF4 Commander Mode Details Aug 31, 2013, 13:42 Agent.X7

Going to be renting a BF4 server for my store. Can't wait. I just wish this supported Windows tablets too.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: More BF4 Commander Mode Details Aug 31, 2013, 12:57 TangledThorns

It'd be nice if the commander's assets can be destroyed or disrupted.  

10. Re: More BF4 Commander Mode Details Aug 31, 2013, 10:39 Kosh401

It's good commander isn't taking up any of the 64 player slots (64 players, 2 commanders, 4 spectators).

Also looking forward to second monitor support for full screen map!

9. Re: More BF4 Commander Mode Details Aug 31, 2013, 10:12 Tom

Didn't know they were bringing back commander mode. If you can air drop supply crates on the heads of snipers like the good ol' days, I'm there baby, yeah!  

8. Re: More BF4 Commander Mode Details Aug 31, 2013, 10:02 Rattlehead

Your loss, I never touched the campaign for any Battlefield game.  

7. Re: More BF4 Commander Mode Details Aug 31, 2013, 08:35 Flak

Shataan wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 08:30:
I`ll stick to the sp campaign.

Really?

The Battlefield 3 single player campaign was probably the worst single player experience I can remember. Which is weird because the Bad Company series had half-decent single player campaigns.

At least it can't be any worse than BF3.

6. Re: More BF4 Commander Mode Details Aug 31, 2013, 08:30 Shataan

I`ll stick to the sp campaign.  

5. Re: More BF4 Commander Mode Details Aug 31, 2013, 07:33 xXBatmanXx

Jackplug wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 02:24:
All that will happen is that it be a spam tool like in BF2, where the commander will just be able to spam messages constantly and get on your nerves until you leave the server. Dice will never fix it to stop the spam and game over.

They never fix anything. You go into a BF2 server lately? Still 1,000 UAVs in the sky.....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

4. Re: More BF4 Commander Mode Details Aug 31, 2013, 02:24 Jackplug

All that will happen is that it be a spam tool like in BF2, where the commander will just be able to spam messages constantly and get on your nerves until you leave the server. Dice will never fix it to stop the spam and game over.  

3. Re: More BF4 Commander Mode Details Aug 31, 2013, 00:54 LittleMe

Yeah the commander role is I think where there's a lot of room to break new ground for Battlefield games and bring something new to the genre. Yeah as you guys say, they need to bring a lot of usefulness to make the role work. I think it can be done, but I think the commander role is one area where having a mod community would be a huge boon to the game because there's so much with which to experiment.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

2. Re: More BF4 Commander Mode Details Aug 30, 2013, 22:35 eRe4s3r

What you list there is correct, and is why nobody wanted to play Commander in BF2.... you had to read 5 pages of rules near the end-life of BF2 just so you don't get kicked, and by then the commander was so gimped you might as well just drive that tank instead, and do more good.  

1. Re: More BF4 Commander Mode Details Aug 30, 2013, 20:24 Optional Nickname!

Some fop scrivened: We all remembered the BF2 “Commander supporting himself while in a tank ignoring his team” worst case scenario, and that’s something we wanted to avoid happening again.

Pshaw. Commander Kick Votes were a common occurrence let alone the exact mechanism in place to avert this so-called "worst case scenario".

Also, much to the dismay of actively playing commanders, ModManger enabled current BF2 servers discourage and automatically
kick commanders that violate pre-defined rules.

Lastly, preventing the commander from being a team-player is not only a foolish notion, but BF2 had a completely different scoring calculus for commanders. The commander scored points as a function of how many points his team had.

This peculiar vision of the BF2 commander as uberfeildmarshallerdragon only exists in Lead Multiplayer Designer Andersson's Quixotic Fantasies!

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo