Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Hangar Module Released

Roberts Space Industries now offers downloads of the Hangar Module for backers of Star Citizen, their upcoming crowd-funded space shooter. This does not offer gameplay, but demonstrates one of the systems in the game. Word is: "With this early release you will be able to walk around your pledge ship for the very first time. Your Hangar will evolve to become your home base as Star Citizen comes together and we’re excited to allow backers this early look. Please remember that this is an extremely early build intended as a reward for our dedicated backers. The QA process has only just begun; many bugs have yet to be ironed out and many features will be added in future revisions." Thanks IncGamers.

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

69. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Sep 5, 2013, 06:48 Pankin

DeathMan20 wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 09:55:
For a pre-alpha release of content this is quiet nice.

Then turn up the volume.

<fist pump and falsetto voice:> Nailed it!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 31, 2013, 19:05 CJ_Parker

Tom wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 22:30:
Hey now. Is there really a sound basis for such pessimism?

Yes.

The Hangar module is hardly representative of all they've accomplished so far. They've already shown videos of ships flying in space firing pretty lazers.
Thrusters rotating and firing in sophisticated ways according to a simulation.

A demo for mere visualization purposes != actual gameplay. Anyone with decent skills in Adobe Flash can create a video like that in a matter of days.
Besides the demo was created by Chris Roberts and a couple other guys before the campaign started in 2012. The team making the game was assembled starting in January 2013. Barely anyone on the current team has (had) any experience with the CryEngine and if you would have watched the roundtable videos from the last 24h live stream you would have seen how just about every department from coding to art admitted that the CryEngine is an extremely complex beast with a very steep learning curve. On the plus side it is also a very powerful tool once you know how but right now they are still in the figure-shit-out stages.

And keep in mind, before there can be visible progress, there's a great deal of work to be done in building infrastructure. On many levels. This is the nature of production. Sure, it could take forever, but I think it's way too early to give up hope of them coming anywhere near hitting the timeframes they've been aiming for.

We know from comments that they had to go into crunch mode for a couple of weeks just to get the hangar "done" (a term we have to use very loosely for the state it is in). I really don't see how they are going to have a working dogfighting alpha in just four months from now unless it's going to be super-rudimentary with just a black vacuum for space and then mono colored lasers only (no projectile weapons), no chat and lacking lots of other game and multiplayer features.
It took them over six months just for the hangar. Sure, might be due to the above mentioned CryEngine 3 learning curve and maybe stuff is going to accelerate like crazy now that they have learned the ropes but I have serious doubts that they are going to have a real working multiplayer dogfighting module finished by the end of the year. If they release anything in that direction this year it will probably be very barebone.

And it is more than anyone's guess when they will actually have "finished" the game as defined by Chris Roberts, the design team and including all of the campaign's stretch goals.
Over 100 star systems, a complex economy, lots of meaningful content (not just quest automats), an intricate bounty system, a universe with a working timeline and historical record keeping, a fair and balanced PvP system including the boarding feature, EVA, repair systems, clan/squadron features, a resource and mining system, pirating/salvaging, ship upgrades galore, overclockability of ship components, player-run capital ships and all of the stuff that has been promised to be in the game one day.
Going by the rate and the state at which the hangar was released we are into the 2020s before the above will materialize in a fun and working fashion. And I wish I was kidding.

If there's one thing to fear though, it's the lack of a publisher to crack the whip and force things to happen in a certain amount of time.
As a creator, the lack of constraints seems like the best gift you could ever have. But in truth it will destroy you. Can the backer community serve as an acceptable substitute for a publisher to drive progress in a reasonable amount of time? That's a really big question in this great experiment.

Rabid fanbois >>> publisher

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2013, 19:21.

67. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 31, 2013, 14:20 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 11:46:
ViRGE wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 03:13:
Indeed. Almost 14 years to the day after the day the space sim died,

The space sim didn't die. It never has.

This particular iteration of space sims has been missing for a long time, but it's not as if the entire genre's been dead. The X games sell millions of copies each iteration.

Maybe it didn't die, but it certainly went on life support. In the past 10 years we've had a couple of X games, the one-man-Evochron show, and that's about it. A dozen Star Wars games have come out in that time, not one of them a space combat game. BSG was the greatest sci fi show of the past decade, and all we got was a shitty browser based space combat game. If BSG had come out in the 90s, you can be sure it would have been an AAA single player game with full campaign, a la Wing Commander. Look at the list, almost all of those games are 2003 or before.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

66. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 31, 2013, 11:46 Creston

ViRGE wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 03:13:
Indeed. Almost 14 years to the day after the day the space sim died,

The space sim didn't die. It never has.

This particular iteration of space sims has been missing for a long time, but it's not as if the entire genre's been dead. The X games sell millions of copies each iteration.

65. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 31, 2013, 11:10 fujiJuice

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 07:51:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 14:52:
It's an alpha, a test, and it came with a shit ton of disclaimers saying as much. If you find a bug, report it in the appropriate section of the forums...that is the point of the release.
Wildone wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 15:02:
omg how many times & disclaimers do they have to make and people STILL bitch about it...
Parias wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 15:06:
You completely missed the point of this release.
I'm well aware of all the disclaimers but my point still stands. We're talking about established middleware - CryEngine 3 - and a release consisting of a single room. If ladders aren't functioning properly then they shouldn't have been included.

The reality is that they can put out as many disclaimers as they want but their work is inevitably going to be judged by it. As I said, I'm still very much looking forward to this game (that much is obvious as I've paid to support it) - my point is just that this was rushed out and there wasn't any need for it to be. There is nothing unreasonable about pointing out the issues I encountered.

I disagree. Anyone judging this negatively, based on performance or glitches, isn't understanding the point. Now if you want to be negative about the ship design, internal layout or art style, that would serve a purpose. All this is, is a way for people to take an early, pre-alpha look at the ships they payed hundreds of dollars for. As for rushing, or removing things, those two scenarios do not exist, it is an "extremely early pre-alpha build", once you wait to polish it up, it is no longer an "extremely early pre-alpha build" by definition.

Edit: Changed alpha to pre-alpha

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2013, 11:16.

64. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 31, 2013, 07:51 theyarecomingforyou

Jivaro wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 14:52:
It's an alpha, a test, and it came with a shit ton of disclaimers saying as much. If you find a bug, report it in the appropriate section of the forums...that is the point of the release.
Wildone wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 15:02:
omg how many times & disclaimers do they have to make and people STILL bitch about it...
Parias wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 15:06:
You completely missed the point of this release.
I'm well aware of all the disclaimers but my point still stands. We're talking about established middleware - CryEngine 3 - and a release consisting of a single room. If ladders aren't functioning properly then they shouldn't have been included.

The reality is that they can put out as many disclaimers as they want but their work is inevitably going to be judged by it. As I said, I'm still very much looking forward to this game (that much is obvious as I've paid to support it) - my point is just that this was rushed out and there wasn't any need for it to be. There is nothing unreasonable about pointing out the issues I encountered.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

63. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 31, 2013, 03:13 ViRGE

nin wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 22:50:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 22:30:
I am a skeptical person by nature. Some of you however make me feel like I am the eternal optimist. Thank you.

Hey, if just the hanger can produce 59 posts in one day, just think what happens when the actual content shows up. To me, it shows people are interested. :)
Indeed. Almost 14 years to the day after the day the space sim died, it's exhilarating to see people talking about space sims seriously again. And even more so that a AAA space sim created by a veteran producer is within our grasp.

62. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 31, 2013, 00:06 Jivaro

Tom wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 23:43:
Hey, if just the hanger can produce 59 posts in one day, just think what happens when the actual content shows up. To me, it shows people are interested. :)

Darn right. And just wait until the Oculus Rift is ready..... might just be a match made in heaven.

+1

61. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 23:43 Tom

Darn right. And just wait until the Oculus Rift is ready..... might just be a match made in heaven.

60. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 22:50 nin

Jivaro wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 22:30:
I am a skeptical person by nature. Some of you however make me feel like I am the eternal optimist. Thank you.

Hey, if just the hanger can produce 59 posts in one day, just think what happens when the actual content shows up. To me, it shows people are interested.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

59. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 22:30 Tom

Hey now. Is there really a sound basis for such pessimism? The Hangar module is hardly representative of all they've accomplished so far. They've already shown videos of ships flying in space firing pretty lazers. Thrusters rotating and firing in sophisticated ways according to a simulation. And keep in mind, before there can be visible progress, there's a great deal of work to be done in building infrastructure. On many levels. This is the nature of production. Sure, it could take forever, but I think it's way too early to give up hope of them coming anywhere near hitting the timeframes they've been aiming for.

If there's one thing to fear though, it's the lack of a publisher to crack the whip and force things to happen in a certain amount of time. As a creator, the lack of constraints seems like the best gift you could ever have. But in truth it will destroy you. Can the backer community serve as an acceptable substitute for a publisher to drive progress in a reasonable amount of time? That's a really big question in this great experiment.

58. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 22:30 Jivaro

57. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 22:10 Yosemite Sam

I gotta say based on what I've seen so far, with over a years worth of work done, is this is going to take forever to finish. How many years until it gets tagged 'Star Citizen Forever' Hope I'm wrong, because the concept is awesome, but I cant help but feel this is going to turn into the never ending build.  

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

56. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 21:11 nin

I believe everything people are buying now can be bought with ingame currency once the game ships.

That was my impression, also.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

55. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 21:11 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 19:35:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 17:22:
1badmf wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 16:15:
i know right? ridiculous how much chris roberts has advanced the space sim community and yet people still have this idiotic notion he won't deliver. btw, wing commander itself was not just a linear campaign, but in fact had several possible outcomes based on mission success.

"People?" I thought it was just Cutter.

Negro, please. When this doesn't turn out the way you think it will just remember who called it. Then you can kiss my ass in the county square at that point.
You have the biggest woody for X Rebirth, but are saying this will be a POS? What gives? Did Chris Roberts beat you up and take your milk money in grade school?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

54. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 20:07 Whiskers

I believe everything people are buying now can be bought with ingame currency once the game ships. I don't know if they have said how much it will cost, how you make money, etc. The ships look pretty cool, I hope they have some interactive displays or at least some useful information on them. Seems silly to put all that detail into the interiors and then have static displays on all the screens.  

53. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 19:56 SpectralMeat

So can you buy those ships later for in game money or is this the only way to get them?
Will they be cheaper/more expensive later?

Steam: SpectralMeat

52. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 19:40 Tom

Blahman wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 19:09:
Haha I love those screenshots in Crysis. How long before someone cooks up a flyable version?

In Kerbal Space Program, please!

51. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 19:35 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 17:22:
1badmf wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 16:15:
i know right? ridiculous how much chris roberts has advanced the space sim community and yet people still have this idiotic notion he won't deliver. btw, wing commander itself was not just a linear campaign, but in fact had several possible outcomes based on mission success.

"People?" I thought it was just Cutter.

Negro, please. When this doesn't turn out the way you think it will just remember who called it. Then you can kiss my ass in the county square at that point.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

50. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 19:09 Blahman

Haha I love those screenshots in Crysis. How long before someone cooks up a flyable version?  

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo