Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Patch to "Cut the Legs Out from the Auction House"

PC Gamer has more from their conversation with Diablo III lead content designer Kevin Martens, who explains that the Loot 2.0 system in their upcoming version 2.0 patch for the action/RPG, along with the enchanting and crafting systems, is "intended to cut the legs out from the auction house." Here's word:

“It is fun to go buy something instantly, the instant gratification feel, that sugar high,” he said, “however it’s not the core fantasy, it’s not the most fun and by the endgame, for a variety of reasons, they tend to check the auction house first and play the game second.”

That’s not what we intend, and we do want to address that, so the loot system and the enchanting and crafting systems are both intended to cut the legs out from the auction house; to make it unnecessary to go on it to some degree, where the most fun way to play the game becomes the best way to play the game.”

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 30, 2013, 09:08 Darks

durandal wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 23:41:
Agreed. AH is not the core of the problem, neither is the poor drop rate. It's the poor design of item stats and the lack of customization of characters that destroy the fun of the loot hunting.
Unless they do something drastic about it, it will remain a poor hack and slash game.

Oh, they plan to by making the loot that drops much better in terms of stats. The problem is, people are sick and tired of running the same crap over and over. Plus they are going to make loot drop even more scarce which means running the same shit over and over.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 30, 2013, 08:51 Pigeon

That’s not what we intend, and we do want to address that

Yeah it really was what was intended. I agree that the boring loot and stat system is the core problem with the game, but the awful drops and almost forced reliance on the AH was the bigger insult. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the boring stats and character building were designed to make the AH more attractive. If you could potentially use a wider range of stats, more of the drops would be usable.

18. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 30, 2013, 08:24 Xero

The two biggest issues of this game from day 1 was the AH and that they knew they were going to consolize the game so they had to make it easily accessible on a console.
So you get a game that geared people to the AH and a lack of tech tree so 10 year old gamers on a console could easily swap through spells and spam the X button without worrying about putting stats in the wrong place and crying when they have a level 60 character with 10 dexterity.

Currently playing: Skyrim

17. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 30, 2013, 02:41 xXBatmanXx

however it’s not the core fantasy, it’s not the most fun and by the endgame

How long did it take you to listen to 3 years worth of data from gamers?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 30, 2013, 02:32 Lord Tea

Oh...

another Diablo III thread!

Cute!

UPSA = United Police States of America

15. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 30, 2013, 01:31 headshot

hmm. I for one don't like to interact THAT much with other players. I had my share of trading, trade accounts, bartering and the always present feeling in the back of my brain that I'm getting ripped off. either because the item's a dupe or the player a scammer or the price is too high.

sure, it was nice to browse the trade forums (which lists all the items available for trade, just like an auction house would for example. wink.) and engage in trading. but you also had buyouts or fast trades and very little interaction with the seller.

in the end, I only did fast trades or gave my trade account details via PM. the difference to the AH in diablo 3 was the time it took to finally receive the item. I for one like the rmah in diablo 3, simply because me and my girlfriend got about 1.000 euros out of it in two months playing. it could have been more, but the game is rather boring. the gold auction house is another thing. the inflation there (50 million gold - about 1.26€ or 2.26€, dunno, so good items only cost 1.5 billions up) is ridiculous, that is rather sad.

14. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 30, 2013, 00:48 Denthor

loomy wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 23:28:
the game isn't ruined by easy trading, the game is ruined by being a shitty game

if whiners don't like their enjoyment affected by easy trading, they can stop trading easily and go back to scrolling chat and forums and wasting far more time not playing the game, just like POE players are doing right now.

I don't know. Having to put in effort to sell or buy items is far better than just listing on an AH, IMO. Trading shouldn't be required, rather optional. It should be beneficial but not so easy that there is no associated "cost", whether that cost is time or currency.

PoE has tools (fan made) to filter/view shops, http://poe.xyz.is/ for example, BUT you still have to interact with the seller and barter WHICH is not a bad thing.

I really like PoE currency system - takes quite a bit to get used to tho. I guess that type of system would never make an appearance in blizzard games anymore, as it'd be deemed to complex for mass appeal.

13. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 29, 2013, 23:41 durandal

Agreed. AH is not the core of the problem, neither is the poor drop rate. It's the poor design of item stats and the lack of customization of characters that destroy the fun of the loot hunting.
Unless they do something drastic about it, it will remain a poor hack and slash game.

12. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 29, 2013, 23:28 loomy

the game isn't ruined by easy trading, the game is ruined by being a shitty game

if whiners don't like their enjoyment affected by easy trading, they can stop trading easily and go back to scrolling chat and forums and wasting far more time not playing the game, just like POE players are doing right now.

11. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 29, 2013, 23:18 Creston

"It's not making that much money anymore, so now we're now going to build around it and try to sucker all you monkeys back in, which we know is going to work because we once made great games... like fifteen years ago."  

10. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 29, 2013, 22:40 Cyanotetyphas

Axis wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 21:45:
Lets fix that statement:

“It is profitable for us when you go buy something instantly, the instant 'gotcha' feel, that 'we took noobs for a ride' high,” he said, “however after the honeymoon of nubs spending was over, we were no longer seeing much profit and want to appear like we care with this new update.

This must be true. The game has been out for a year and a third nearly, and they're just now noticing what everyone has been complaining about since day 1?

Still haven't gotten this but if they get around to finally making D3 correctly I'd be happy to pick it up on sale one day.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

9. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 29, 2013, 22:27 jdreyer

@ Axis: LOL. So true.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 29, 2013, 22:25 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 21:46:
“however it’s not the core fantasy, it’s not the most fun and by the endgame, for a variety of reasons, they tend to check the auction house first and play the game second.”

You know, EVERYONE was saying this from the get-go. They finally realize this now?

Well, I'll just paraphrase Upton Sinclair for this explanation:

It is difficult to get a game company to understand something, when its revenue depends on it not understanding it.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 29, 2013, 22:17 Cutter

Cut it and the ODRM and millions more will buy it, but that would make sense, and Kodick isn't for that.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 29, 2013, 21:46 Prez

“however it’s not the core fantasy, it’s not the most fun and by the endgame, for a variety of reasons, they tend to check the auction house first and play the game second.”

You know, EVERYONE was saying this from the get-go. They finally realize this now?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 29, 2013, 21:45 Axis

Lets fix that statement:

“It is profitable for us when you go buy something instantly, the instant 'gotcha' feel, that 'we took noobs for a ride' high,” he said, “however after the honeymoon of nubs spending was over, we were no longer seeing much profit and want to appear like we care with this new update.

It’s not that we care, we just wanna sell more units and the expansion while appearing to tone the RMAH down for a variety of reasons. They'll still tend to check the auction house first and play the game second, and that's good for our coffers -- we'll still rake over the noobs all over again.”

Yours truly,

Axis

4. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 29, 2013, 21:42 Redmask

Take the stupid thing out of the game already, you WoWified so many other parts of the game as it is.  

3. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 29, 2013, 21:41 Sempai

“however it’s not the core fantasy, it’s not the most fun and by the endgame, for a variety of reasons, they tend to check the auction house first and play the game second.

DERP.

2. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 29, 2013, 21:04 SirKnight

I haven't played this in a looooong time. The desire just dropped out. But, maybe with this patch I'll give it another go since maybe I'll be able to find decent shit while playing.  

1. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 29, 2013, 20:56 Rattlehead

Just get rid of it.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo