Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III 2.0 Details

PC Gamer spoke with Blizzard at Gamescom, learning that a version 2.0 patch for Diablo III is planned for release around the same time as the newly revealed Reaper of Souls expansion for the action/RPG sequel. Here's the explanation of what's in the patch versus what's only found in the expansion:

Lead content designer Kevin Martens ran us through the free features of patch 2.0. “You’re going to get all the loot, you’re going to get all the new item types, you’re going to get all the new legendary affixes, you’re going to get our new gem type – which is the diamond – and you’re going to get all the changes to the rules, the smart drop system, the targeted drop system, probably you’ll get loot runs – we haven’t figured that one out yet – probably you’ll get paragon, etc, etc.”

Martens explains the division as being between systemic changes to the game’s rules and new content that the player to discover. “All the content is Reaper of Souls, like the act five stuff and the new higher level items, from sixty to seventy – so that level cap increase, which includes the new abilities, the new runes and the new passives for existing classes.”

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Sep 3, 2013, 08:13 Mr. Tact

They deserve to be continually bashed for D3. Just because you work for Blizzard, doesn't make it less true,  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. No subject Sep 2, 2013, 20:05 LibertyOrDeath

If you guys critique your politicians like you critique game companies, maybe we would be better off as a country now. With that said, I have been coming to bluesnews since the Quake days and it still fascinates me how negative some of you are. So Blizzard would be better off not doing anything and keeping the game the same as it was before? Rather than saying they are trying and that is a good thing, some of you are still bashing them. Unbelievable!:)> lol

As far as the story is concerned, SWTOR proved that you need more than storyline for a game to succeed.

34. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 30, 2013, 14:44 eRe4s3r

Yeah, hence why I am so sad Hellgate: London turned out the way it did, had that game be given proper love and mod support we'd have the best first persion action RPG ever made on our hands. Instead all there is, is literally Borderlands.. and I am no fan of forced COOP games like that.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2013, 16:03.

33. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 21:42 HorrorScope

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 20:23:
For me, ARPG's next big innovation gotta be Immersion. They need to develop dynamic companions, multi-stage branching quest lines with massive world impact, new loot systems where maybe magic is drastically influenced by the loot you equip, sort of like a magic incubator system. And give the players a purpose and a solid fixpoint to always return to, to improve with loot, to find secrets of the world, to conduct rituals to affect the world. (No ARPG ever does this! WHY?)

Because they think we like clicking the LMB and leaving our brains on idle. IMO Borderlands is more inline of next Gen ARPG. They have a more immersive angle, better story delivery, same action/loot.

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2013, 22:47.

32. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 21:01 PropheT

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 20:23:
For me, ARPG's next big innovation gotta be Immersion.

To be clear, when I say story I mean exactly what you're saying here. There needs to be something that draws people in and makes them want to play, even more so for a game that you're meant to replay more than once.

In Diablo it was simple; you're a badass who's out to stop Diablo by ramming a soulstone into your head. It's pointedly vague, and lets you fill in the blanks yourself to get involved. Diablo 2 tells more lore, and then throws you into the middle of it while really giving you the sense of a desperate fight for the survival of everyone.

Diablo 3... you fight a lot of really incompetent demons on the way to killing an incompetent Diablo, and all there is left to drive the adventure is getting more loot (which, like you point out, isn't done well either). There's no desperation there, no sense of an overwhelming fight against evil... it's more like cleaning up after a mess.

Either way, just clicking on a lot of stuff isn't a reason to play the game. I played Diablo 2 for ten years, and I don't think any of it was because I really enjoy clicking on things.

31. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 20:23 eRe4s3r

I think a big problem of all these ARPG games is that the locations don't have impact because we have no connection to any of this shit. So yeah, we may be in story important and mighty heroes killing evil stuff, but in reality it's just stuff to click on to get loot and money.

We don't do it for the world, we do it to improve our character. And sorry but that is not enough of a pull for me. There is allure to improving the stats but at a certain point you are left with an empty feeling. What the heck are you doing? You are grinding a game for virtual loot.... why?

For me, ARPG's next big innovation gotta be Immersion. They need to develop dynamic companions, multi-stage branching quest lines with massive world impact, new loot systems where maybe magic is drastically influenced by the loot you equip, sort of like a magic incubator system. And give the players a purpose and a solid fixpoint to always return to, to improve with loot, to find secrets of the world, to conduct rituals to affect the world. (No ARPG ever does this! WHY?)

I just look at these action hack'n slash games and wonder, where the fuck is the innovation? You can put TL2 , D2, D1, TL1, Titan Quest, Helsing next to each other, and functionally they are the SAME GAME. ;/

At least unlike D3, these games I listed had proper Itemization, for the most part. But still... D3 has so many insulting flaws that it's a no-play for me. Fuck the always-online thing, that doesn't matter. What matters is that Diablo 3 is a wreck because Itemization is a wreck. And the loot cycle is all these games have going for themselves. Diablo 3 manages to fuck it's pivotal gameplay element up beyond what I thought possible. I mean seriously, even Hellgate London had better Itemization.

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2013, 20:31.

30. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 19:28 Julio

Alamar wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 16:19:
They might be off playing D3 : )

That's the one thing we can be sure isn't happening

29. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 19:27 z0dd

The changes sound like almost everything I was hoping for, but I'll have to play it to be sure. I would still like the auction house to just disappear but as long as it's not the only way to get adequate items I'll be happy.  

28. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 19:07 FloorPie

PropheT wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 18:54:
My problem with the game was never the game systems, it was the context you do it in. The story and everything you interact with is bad enough that I don't care why I'm playing, so I never got invested in it and was bored. My first playthrough was fun because we did it 4-player co-op right on through, but nobody wanted to play it again after that.

I don't think that's even something that can really be fixed with an expansion, not that it seems like they even recognize it as being a problem in the first place.

It is definately a factor. I think for many it is just not a big one compared to loot, drm, RMAH/GAH etc.. I didn't pay to much attention to the storyline other than, "this seems pretty lame". I liked the game's atmosphere/overall look. For me TL2 has the far better loot/skill system but the world design just turned me off most of the time.

27. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 18:54 PropheT

My problem with the game was never the game systems, it was the context you do it in. The story and everything you interact with is bad enough that I don't care why I'm playing, so I never got invested in it and was bored. My first playthrough was fun because we did it 4-player co-op right on through, but nobody wanted to play it again after that.

I don't think that's even something that can really be fixed with an expansion, not that it seems like they even recognize it as being a problem in the first place.

26. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 18:19 Hyatus

This dude sounds like Oprah.  

25. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 17:47 HorrorScope

JayDeath wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 17:09:
I know why everyone dumps on this game but I had fun with it.

Yeah and I had fun with the other 3 name brand ARPG's that came out during the same time and for less then the cost of this turd.

24. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 17:46 HorrorScope

Theo wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 14:11:
ohh look, we are all saying that same stuff again GO US!

No shit.

23. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 17:35 Armengar

I never defended always on, it has never been an issue for me though. I can count on one hand the d/c ive had. That being said i dont play d3 anymore as ive simply moved on. 4 lvl 60s was my limit.

I might look at the expansion again but there are too many other games to play now. For the 30 i paid it has certainly been worth it. For the record no RMAH used.

Im not a blizzard fan (as ive been accused by some hating-for-noreason people) never played wow, sc or sc2.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

22. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 17:09 JayDeath

I know why everyone dumps on this game but I had fun with it.  
Steam: Henry Krinkle

21. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 16:50 Cutter

I'm so glad I don't buy into Blizzard's scheise anymore.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

20. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 16:19 Alamar

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 15:42:
Verno wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 13:28:
We designed the game to be online, we can't do offline even if we wanted to guys!!

I remember the Blizzard defense force doing their best to justify that one too, look pretty dumb now.

Funny how none of those folks post much anymore. Go figure.

They might be off playing D3 : )

-Alamar

19. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 16:11 Axis

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 15:42:
We designed the game to be online, we can't do offline even if we wanted to guys!!

I remember the Blizzard defense force doing their best to justify that one too, look pretty dumb now.

Oh they're still posting, they just hide the fact we were right all along about D3 and joined the 'hating' bandwagon since it's the 'in' thing now...

Yours truly,

Axis

18. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 15:47 Rhialto

That expansion should be free... I quit playing months ago, always playing a few hours with every patch but that was never enough to say that I was satified.

They failed to deliver, they got a new game director, a few patch later things were shaping up slowly but it's still not enough to get me hooked.

I feel like I wasted money (Collector box) and if I could at least get that expansion for free I would feel like they truely did their best and would be happy with all what they did to satisfy their fans.

17. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 15:42 RollinThundr

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo