Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs

Sony Online Entertainment has announced layoffs at their San Diego and Austin offices, reports GameSpot. They offer an official statement:

"As part of a strategic decision to reduce costs and streamline its workforce, SOE announced today that it will eliminate positions in both its San Diego and Austin studios," the company said in a statement.

"This strategic alignment of resources better positions SOE to remain a global leader in online games, as well as to align development resources towards our current portfolio of MMOs and the highly-anticipated future installments of the EverQuest franchise, EverQuest Next Landmark and EverQuest Next."

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 29, 2013, 11:47 Proudfoot

Not good. Laying off people while a game is in full production (the EQNext WoW clone), not good for them.

Usually the layoffs come near launch or after, as the artists/coders head on to greener pastures.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 29, 2013, 10:07 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 20:54:
EQN otherwise known as WoW 17.0.

You forget all the other WoW releases.

12. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 29, 2013, 09:44 sauron

Smellfinger wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 22:09:
I played vanilla EverQuest off and on for about a year before abandoning the genre completely. The subscription model made the manipulative behavioral hooks too transparent and the creepiness eventually overwhelmed me.

I felt the same way about FFXI - after playing it for several years the tricks used by the developers to keep people hooked got ridiculous and creepy. And the grind got worse and worse - it's one of the few games I know that has destroyed marriages and college careers.

That kind of meaningless power creep simply to keep people playing is something LOTRO has managed to avoid, which is one reason I like it. Rather than recycle content or just add a new tier of weapons/armor, they release expansions which progress through the story. Isengard two years ago, Rohan last year, Helm's Deep this year, and so on. Each expansion also brings a level increase, as the stakes in the war get higher, armies are engaged, and Mordor looms closer.

Not sure what the heck they're going to do after they release the final Mordor expansion though. Literally, at that point the game will be complete.

Kittens!

11. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 28, 2013, 22:56 Fion

The footage we've seen isn't even pre-alpha. It's from a tech demo. The chance it even remotely resembles the finished product is practically nil.  

10. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 28, 2013, 22:21 NKD

Smellfinger wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 22:09:
NKD wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 21:42:
EQN is more of a sandbox thing. "EQ + SWG + Minecraft" would be the most succinct way to describe it at the moment from what little info we have. More in common with things like UO, SWG, EVE, than the WoW model. In fact the main whines are from people who think it's going too far from the WoW model. Which is ironic considering the pile of dead WoW-clone corpses rotting in the corner.
Right now, EQN is nothing but hot air and a few minutes of pre-alpha footage. They're making the game sound like an amalgamation of Minecraft and Guild Wars, which is not exactly what people were expecting from a new EverQuest game.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, though. I played vanilla EverQuest off and on for about a year before abandoning the genre completely. The subscription model made the manipulative behavioral hooks too transparent and the creepiness eventually overwhelmed me.

The sad part is how many people will actually FIGHT for that perpetual monthly fee carrot model. I've seen people over in the EQNext subreddit talking about how they hate the fact that SOE is basically saying EQN won't have a traditional endgame because in their minds, unless they are being caught on a hook and reeled in, they aren't having fun.

I mean what the actual fuck?

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

9. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 28, 2013, 22:09 Smellfinger

NKD wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 21:42:
EQN is more of a sandbox thing. "EQ + SWG + Minecraft" would be the most succinct way to describe it at the moment from what little info we have. More in common with things like UO, SWG, EVE, than the WoW model. In fact the main whines are from people who think it's going too far from the WoW model. Which is ironic considering the pile of dead WoW-clone corpses rotting in the corner.
Right now, EQN is nothing but hot air and a few minutes of pre-alpha footage. They're making the game sound like an amalgamation of Minecraft and Guild Wars, which is not exactly what people were expecting from a new EverQuest game.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, though. I played vanilla EverQuest off and on for about a year before abandoning the genre completely. The subscription model made the manipulative behavioral hooks too transparent and the creepiness eventually overwhelmed me.

8. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 28, 2013, 21:42 NKD

Acleacius wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 21:22:
Unless EQN is more like a bug free Vanguard, don't see how soe will recover. Hell, WoW is barely hanging on being WoW, no need to copy them, unless your going F2P.

Fion wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 21:40:
Need I remind anyone of the dreaded Starwars NGE?

It's been 8 years, with no further repeats of the NGE fiasco. Safe to say they learned a lesson. They've said as much. Time to let it go buddy.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

7. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 28, 2013, 21:40 Fion

I know people are freaking out and farting hype rainbows over EQ:Next but folks need to take a step back and realize this is SOE. There isn't anyone who has ever played one of their games that they didn't piss off or f*ck over.

Need I remind anyone of the dreaded Starwars NGE?

6. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 28, 2013, 21:22 Acleacius

Unless EQN is more like a bug free Vanguard, don't see how soe will recover. Hell, WoW is barely hanging on being WoW, no need to copy them, unless your going F2P.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

5. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 28, 2013, 21:05 NKD

Panickd wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 20:57:
"This strategic alignment of resources better positions SOE to remain a global leader in online games, as well as to align development resources towards our current portfolio of MMOs and the highly-anticipated future installments of the EverQuest franchise, EverQuest Next Landmark and EverQuest Next."

I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit on this because besides Planetside 2 and EQ Next what the fuck, exactly, has Sony Online Entertainment been focusing on? Global leader? Please. You're a "used to be" at best.

This just in, PR fluff speak turns out to not be accurate! Every press release by every company ever claims they are the best thing since sliced bread. Nothing new there.

4. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 28, 2013, 21:02 LittleMe

Panickd wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 20:57:
I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit on this because besides Planetside 2 and EQ Next what the fuck, exactly, has Sony Online Entertainment been focusing on? Global leader? Please. You're a "used to be" at best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Online_Entertainment#Games

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

3. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 28, 2013, 20:57 Panickd

2. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 28, 2013, 20:54 Cutter

EQN otherwise known as WoW 2.0.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

1. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 28, 2013, 20:49 NKD

Hope everyone gets a new job quickly. Shitty industry to be in if you're working for someone else.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo