Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wasteland 2 Video

An update on Kickstarter has the latest on Wasteland 2, the upcoming RPG sequel in the works at inXile entertainment. This includes word that the game's first developer diary is now available, though this is only for their backers who are in for $30.00 or more, a sign of strange times for the game industry when you are creating marketing materials exclusively for people who have already bought the game. On a more egalitarian front, they also now offer all visitors a new video that runs over 18 minutes, featuring a demo run-through of the game's prison level. Here's word:

This area was not built purely for demoing purposes and it is a straight video capture. While the level will be further polished and improved (we’re missing a bunch of sounds among other things), it gives you a sense of the final game flow. The level was the winner of an internal competition process (as mentioned last update). This is only a tiny fraction of the game which is very hard to show in a 20 minute update. It represents about 1/3rd of the prison map and isn’t even one of the larger levels, so you can imagine it can be tricky for us to share enough without too many spoilers or overwhelming you.

Another particular focus of the video is showing the game’s progression, which highlights the back-and-forth communication with you, our backers. From the renaming of the characteristics into the CLASSIC acronym to our multiple iterations on the UI based on very direct but very useful feedback from our fans (and it is still customizable to your tastes, for example you can configure the text window depending on how much you want it to show).

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Wasteland 2 Video Aug 29, 2013, 16:40 JediPunisher

Things are looking good.
It appears Brian Fargo will deliver on his promises, and my $250 pledge has been put to good use.

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2013, 16:46.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Wasteland 2 Video Aug 29, 2013, 11:45 ASeven

This game is looking so damn good.  

10. Re: Wasteland 2 Video Aug 29, 2013, 11:07 Creston

Blue wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 07:47:
But if I knew anything about marketing, this site would be Kotaku, so I guess I'm not the one to ask.

Giggle

Wasteland 2 looks really, REALLY good. I am extremely excited to play it.

9. Re: Wasteland 2 Video Aug 29, 2013, 08:19 Mad Max RW

This is looking so good. It's pretty much everything Fallout Tactics should have been.  

8. Re: Wasteland 2 Video Aug 29, 2013, 07:47  Blue 

saluk wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 03:52:
Yeah blue, the dev diaries are not marketing materials. They were incentives for people to buy in at 30$.

To me, a diary intended to as an incentive to purchase by definition is a marketing material. Saying 'buy our game and we'll show you how development is progressing' seems backwards. But if I knew anything about marketing, this site would be Kotaku, so I guess I'm not the one to ask.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

7. Re: Wasteland 2 Video Aug 29, 2013, 03:52 saluk

Yeah blue, the dev diaries are not marketing materials. They were incentives for people to buy in at 30$.

I always like watching behind the scenes stuff. This one wasn't terribly interesting, but after watching a wonderful "lets play" of wasteland 1 (not sure I could bring myself to slog through it myself) it was cool to hear them talk about the stuff that will carry over in the sequel.

6. Re: Wasteland 2 Video Aug 29, 2013, 03:47 Soulburner

Looks great, can't wait to play it  

5. Re: Wasteland 2 Video Aug 29, 2013, 00:15 Jerykk

Looking good. I like how many choices are offered to the player and the combat seems solid enough.  

4. Re: Wasteland 2 Video Aug 28, 2013, 22:54 Pineapple Ferguson

I love the dev diaries, and while this video doesn't seem to show anything too groundbreaking, it hasn't lessened my excitement to play it either. Quite looking forward to it.  

3. Re: Wasteland 2 Video Aug 28, 2013, 22:22 jacobvandy

a sign of strange times for the game industry when you are creating marketing materials exclusively for people who have already bought the game.

Just because dev diaries have become en vogue for promoting your game, does not mean all dev diaries are "marketing material." They're giving backers privileged, behind-the-scenes insight into development in return for them paying to make it possible... If anyone were interested in seeing these videos, they should have paid in.

With that said, it's just hosted on YouTube anyway, so you could probably find it if you really wanted.

2. Re: Wasteland 2 Video Aug 28, 2013, 21:40 nin

I like to see the progress. If you contrast this to something like Carmageddon, where they've shown very little actual gameplay, it's reassuring to see progress being made.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Wasteland 2 Video Aug 28, 2013, 21:06 Cutter

I could care less about dev diaries, etc. just give me the game already!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo