Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response

The Square Enix Facebook page has word that they have temporarily suspended online sales of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn due to "the overwhelmingly positive response" the just re-launched MMORPG (thanks Eurogamer). Here's word:

Important Notice About FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn - Due to the overwhelmingly positive response to FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn, we are currently experiencing extremely long wait times for users to be able to log in and play. As a temporary measure, we will halt sales of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A REALM REBORNís digital download products so we can accommodate all of those wishing to play. We are working to expand our server capacity in the coming days.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this causes.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 29, 2013, 19:50 JohnBirshire

You haven't been able to create a character on ANY North American server for the past 48 hours. Anybody defending this game is a bias fanboi with their head in the clouds, the release is a disaster. On a reboot after acknowledging the mistakes they made on the first release, nonetheless. No excuses.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. XIV Aug 28, 2013, 23:34 sauron

OK, I just made a character on Ridill and leveled to 6 or 7. The game is smooth as butter, beautiful, and well designed although no real new dynamics. No lag or login issues on this legacy server. Deep, deep gameplay and story, this and the very elegant artwork and design features seem to be its major draw.

I think it will sell by the truckload in Asia, especially in Japan where they love their stories, and it is also tailored to be compatible with LOTRO/GW2/WoW players in the US and Europe.

It is going to make a lot of money for SE. Very safe bet, very engaging. It doesn't have the groundbreaking novelty of GW2 but it adopts most of the innovations of that game and many from LOTRO and WoW. The community is polite and friendly. No real downside and it has a ton of immersion. I like it a lot, but don't play it if you don't enjoy a lot of dialogue from NPC's, they all have a lot to say.

Kittens!

56. Re: SE is a joke... Aug 28, 2013, 23:29 NKD

JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 23:17:

Skip this game, wait for Elder Scrolls.

Probably best to skip that too.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

55. SE is a joke... Aug 28, 2013, 23:17 JohnBirshire

When trying to log in just says "World is currently full, please try again later".

They can't even get "MMO 101" right and have a login queue, or allow you to create characters on a server you're already a member of, or let you skip character intro's, or allowing 75% of people logged in to be AFK just to hold a spot, etc etc. It's kind of sad when they can't even get the BASICS right. Their decision making is still as bad as it was when the originally FF14 Online didn't even have servers outside of Japan. Square Enix just isn't capable of making a single good decision.

Skip this game, wait for Elder Scrolls.

54. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 20:55 Ceribaen

Acleacius wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 18:10:
sauron wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 13:04:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 12:57:
Still not sure what I'm going to do about TESO now we know they are going with $15 US a month subs. I might have paid $10 a month, if the game had been good, $15 is just too much now days.

Same here. I occasionally pay $10 for VIP for a month in LOTRO if I'm playing a lot (eg off work sick for a few days), but in general I stopped subbing for MMOs. For $15 a month standard TESO would have to be really good.

For FFXIV to keep my interest it will have to be good as well, but I already have a bucketload of friends in that game who are coming over from FFXI - a ready-made community and guild. That's another factor.

Best deal of the lot is GW2, which is totally free. Only problem is, I ran out of content in that one. Release an expansion already!
Same, sort of got tired of GW2 after leveling 3 toons. Now I'm playing The Secret World, which I got from Steam for $15 US and spent $10 more to get issue 7. Like GW 2 it's buy once, play for free. Considering you can get it for $15 or less, it's a great deal too.

It's actually got GW2 beat on several counts, where GW2 wins on dyes, TSW wins on clothing. There are literally 1000s of pieces of clothes, different colors and styles. You can be dressed in a business suit, beach clothes to Steampunk. Also cutscenes are pretty odd in GW2, though maybe it's intended as an artistic style, yet it always seem sort of cheap to me. TSW on the other hand has much higher quality cutscenes, fully voiced and 3D. The animations are a bit weak but still a multitude better than GW2. Imo, the DX 9 graphics (since dx 11 really isn't working well) are much more detailed and it's great to have a modern setting for once. Every major mission (100s) has a (skippable, if you wish) cutscene and each one is story based/related.

TSW really does have some issues with gameplay, mostly because there are so many choices it's easy to get overwhelmed. The devs try to say "you can't make a mistake" when referring to spending points. It stems from the fact that if you play enough, you can get every ability and skill. This is really disingenuous, since you can easily spread yourself too thin and ending up with an unfixable (no reset) weak build, at least until your higher level. Also, after the first area, the difficulty scales pretty fast. This causes many to do the first area twice, for the extra skills and abilities. It's really important to know which build your going to use from the start. It really helps to spend an hour looking at builds at the official forums, fan sites or asking in chatz.

The dungeons are pretty nice no real trash mobs, you move from boss to boss. Now some bosses summon adds but it's mostly to mix things up, with different play styles and difficulty.

Personally don't see how you can go wrong with TSW, especially if you like modern settings and killing zombies! Zombie

I gave TSW a try a while back... some of the quests were interesting, but overall I wasn't a fan of the combat and it was way too solo oriented. I mean even that chat was relatively quiet - at most it was people asking for puzzle spoilers and others saying that's not allowed in chat, go look it up online.

Tera actually managed to hold my interest longer, though the action combat gets old as a tank or a healer (for me)... as a healer I'd rather play whackamole with F1/F2/F3/F4 to select targets than trying to target a tiny character running around willy nilly behind some big baddie.

Right now I think I'm happiest with Defiance actually. Yeah, it's another solo oriented mmo... but there's something cathartic about sniping mutants from ledges, and you do have the co-op missions and Arkfalls for a chance to run into other people and work together occasionally for a common goal when it strikes your fancy.

53. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 19:25 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 18:46:
Compared to good SP games, it's crap content for a solo in a MMO. IMO

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. I've played the Batman games and finished them, I've played through Skyrim 3 or 4 times, and had fun with them. It's not the same kind of experience.

I prefer reading the book as opposed to seeing the movie in a lot of cases, but that doesn't necessarily mean one option is inherently better than the other. It's just different.

Not to mention that, like with SP games and MMO's, I can just do both.

52. Cant create new character, or recreate Aug 28, 2013, 19:21 JohnBirshire

They are locking servers and not even allowing you to create new characters even if you already have characters there, which is something I have never seen in 25+ MMO's, and a terrible ridiculous decision that is driving us nuts. I deleted my main to recreate his look, and now cant recreate him. Another friend wanted to try a new race/class, and cant, unless we all want to split up and play on different servers. If you are already playing on a server, you should be exempt, like in every other game Ive ever played where they have had to lock the servers. Minor but stupid decisions like this is causing a lot of frustration, and it doesnt take many bad first impressions to cause irreparable damage to your game.  

51. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 18:46 HorrorScope

PropheT wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 18:33:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 18:25:
Cram wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 13:37:
Can you play solo in this game if you want?

Buy a single player game.... they have a story that revolves around you and better game mechanics in general. Your welcome.

They're also over by the time you hit you'd hit level 10 in an MMO. There's really nothing that compares, even Skyrim etc., in my opinion at least. I've been soloing in MMO's since EQ 1 came out and it's been pretty enjoyable in all but a few.

Crap play to level 10 in a MMO. However long Batman's take to play, the story/gameplay is just so much better. Sykrim's, better. If you are playing solo you have such a stale exp with a MMO. I do know we all have opinions and are different. But it just seems like if you want to go it alone there are superior single player games out there vs the very stale way MMO's present their content. Compared to good SP games, it's crap content for a solo in a MMO. IMO

50. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 18:36 HorrorScope

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 12:32:
Beyond logging in issues:

What are some of the cool unique things this MMO brings to us? What is its best features?

Thx

No responses. That is what I thought, more of the same. Like how should anyone get excited, there are 1000 of these.

49. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 18:33 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 18:25:

Buy a single player game.... they have a story that revolves around you and better game mechanics in general. Your welcome.

They're also over by the time you hit you'd hit level 10 in an MMO. There's really nothing that compares, even Skyrim etc., in my opinion at least. I've been soloing in MMO's since EQ 1 came out and it's been pretty enjoyable in all but a few.

48. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 18:28 HorrorScope

Flatline wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 16:10:
I hate Final Fantasy Online.

My friend is addicted to it. His ingame play time for FF11 was, last I checked, 2 years spent in game. As in 18,000 hours spent in the game. Which works out to around 6 years playing 8 hours a day. He'd wake up, go to work, come home, play until his guild (in Australia) logged on at like 11pm, play until 3am, and pass out for 4 hours, then get up and do it again. Nobody talked to him for 3 or 4 years because he was too busy doing FF11.

Now 14 comes out and he's dropped off the map again. Sigh. I won't see him for another 5 years. The thing that I hate about the FF MMOs is that they are built around addictive gameplay habits. I remember in 11 if you wanted to raise Chocobos as best as you could you had to feed them like every 7 hours or something odd/off like that so your always logging on at different times. Not to mention the bosses that took 18+ hours for dozens of players to beat.

Doesn't sound like a friendship, I'd move on.

47. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 18:25 HorrorScope

46. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 18:10 Acleacius

Acleacius wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 12:57:
Still not sure what I'm going to do about TESO now we know they are going with $15 US a month subs. I might have paid $10 a month, if the game had been good, $15 is just too much now days.

Same here. I occasionally pay $10 for VIP for a month in LOTRO if I'm playing a lot (eg off work sick for a few days), but in general I stopped subbing for MMOs. For $15 a month standard TESO would have to be really good.

For FFXIV to keep my interest it will have to be good as well, but I already have a bucketload of friends in that game who are coming over from FFXI - a ready-made community and guild. That's another factor.

Best deal of the lot is GW2, which is totally free. Only problem is, I ran out of content in that one. Release an expansion already!
Same, sort of got tired of GW2 after leveling 3 toons. Now I'm playing The Secret World, which I got from Steam for $15 US and spent $10 more to get issue 7. Like GW 2 it's buy once, play for free. Considering you can get it for $15 or less, it's a great deal too.

It's actually got GW2 beat on several counts, where GW2 wins on dyes, TSW wins on clothing. There are literally 1000s of pieces of clothes, different colors and styles. You can be dressed in a business suit, beach clothes to Steampunk. Also cutscenes are pretty odd in GW2, though maybe it's intended as an artistic style, yet it always seem sort of cheap to me. TSW on the other hand has much higher quality cutscenes, fully voiced and 3D. The animations are a bit weak but still a multitude better than GW2. Imo, the DX 9 graphics (since dx 11 really isn't working well) are much more detailed and it's great to have a modern setting for once. Every major mission (100s) has a (skippable, if you wish) cutscene and each one is story based/related.

TSW really does have some issues with gameplay, mostly because there are so many choices it's easy to get overwhelmed. The devs try to say "you can't make a mistake" when referring to spending points. It stems from the fact that if you play enough, you can get every ability and skill. This is really disingenuous, since you can easily spread yourself too thin and ending up with an unfixable (no reset) weak build, at least until your higher level. Also, after the first area, the difficulty scales pretty fast. This causes many to do the first area twice, for the extra skills and abilities. It's really important to know which build your going to use from the start. It really helps to spend an hour looking at builds at the official forums, fan sites or asking in chatz.

The dungeons are pretty nice no real trash mobs, you move from boss to boss. Now some bosses summon adds but it's mostly to mix things up, with different play styles and difficulty.

Personally don't see how you can go wrong with TSW, especially if you like modern settings and killing zombies! Zombie

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

45. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 17:35 Redmask

I liked this decently enough in beta but not enough to subscribe. If someone gave me a 30 day free code I would use it though, it is one of the better MMO games I've played.  

44. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 16:10 Flatline

I hate Final Fantasy Online.

My friend is addicted to it. His ingame play time for FF11 was, last I checked, 2 years spent in game. As in 18,000 hours spent in the game. Which works out to around 6 years playing 8 hours a day. He'd wake up, go to work, come home, play until his guild (in Australia) logged on at like 11pm, play until 3am, and pass out for 4 hours, then get up and do it again. Nobody talked to him for 3 or 4 years because he was too busy doing FF11.

Now 14 comes out and he's dropped off the map again. Sigh. I won't see him for another 5 years. The thing that I hate about the FF MMOs is that they are built around addictive gameplay habits. I remember in 11 if you wanted to raise Chocobos as best as you could you had to feed them like every 7 hours or something odd/off like that so your always logging on at different times. Not to mention the bosses that took 18+ hours for dozens of players to beat.

43. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 16:07 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:50:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:15:
Marketing ploy or good game?

Marketing ploy for sure.

It's neither, they're doing it because no one can log in past a certain point. It's certainly popular enough to cause the issue, but I don't think that means good game either.

It's not a marketing ploy, though, they're doing it because of the login issues. They had to limit the logins because the duty finder breaks under load if they don't... but they created a situation where you're lucky to find a server to create a character on as of last night (*all* of the NA servers disallowed it when I tried last night) and even if you can, you're lucky to log in. The queue sometimes works, but usually it just tells you you're SOL and try again later. Since early access started, I've been able to get on and play a few hours and went for two days without being able to log in at all.

It's better than it was with 1.0 but it's still not good. It might make casual FFXI fans happy, but not the hardcore ones, and I don't know who else would pay $15 to play it over virtually any other MMO out there.

42. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 16:01 BitWraith

Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:50:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:15:
Marketing ploy or good game?

Marketing ploy for sure.

This. I played 1.0 at launch and it was a COMPLETE cluster. I tried Reborn (when I could log in) and it's just a lame, standard MMO. It seems amazing when compared with the POS that 1.0 was.

Was a good effort by the new team to try and save it, but I bet it will be FTP in a month or two.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2013, 16:07.

41. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 16:00 sauron

Theo wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 15:34:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 13:18:
Best deal of the lot is GW2, which is totally free.

Where did you get GW's for free?

he didnt, its not.

This is true, I didn't get the game for free and it's not available for free. But once you have it, there is no subscription fee, and the content is continually updated, albeit incrementally.

I just wish there was more of it - would happily pay for an expansion.

Kittens!

40. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 15:51 dj LiTh

Verno wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 10:17:
dj LiTh wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 10:09:
I have a few friends that basically say they still havent fixed some of the major problems from the first release. So definitely mixed messages around this one.

Like what out of curiosity? My memory of the first beta is pretty hazy but they have changed so much its barely recognizable as the same game. There are a few ability related oddities I noticed but that's about it so far.

The opening cutscene is like 3-5 mins and everything after that is skippable AFAIK. Their login server woes are pretty dumb though.

I havent played it but error 3102 one of em said, i think its some kind of connection issue?

39. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 15:38 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:29:
...but ultimately if you are tired of MMOs this won't convince you to dig in again.

Thanks... I'll pass.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo