Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Not long ago I had the misfortune of encountering a Sheriff's car in the oncoming lane moments after completing a pass where two lanes were becoming one, leaving me temporarily further above the speed limit than a lawman's leeway will allow. I tend to be a prudent driver, and this is the first time I've been pulled over in years, but you are not entitled to speed while passing, and he got me fair-and-square. Noting my clean driving record, the Sheriff was sympathetic with my plight, though not enough to prevent him from giving me the ticket, so I have a court date today to pay my debt to society. Typically the court will shave a few miles-per-hour off speeding for the fine, though I'm holding out a sliver of hope this can be knocked down to a non-moving violation.

Speedy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Sky Freaks.
Build and Destroy Space.
Links: Functional 1/3 Scale Macintosh Replica using a Raspberry Pi. Wow!
Stories: Nissan uses iconoclast Stormtroopers to shill their new car. Thanks brother19.
Science: Infants remember speech heard in the womb.
The “US effect” biases behavioral research.
Media: Capcom explains Street Fighter 2 characters with stereotypin.
The Funnies: Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Feel your pain Blue Aug 28, 2013, 23:55 Creston

PHJF wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 21:16:
Driver license records are shared nearly nationwide. If you try to renew your license it may very well be denied from an ignored out-of-state violation.

Hmmm, I didn't think about that. Good point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 23:13 Sepharo

Blue I'm getting a full page pop up here repeatedly...

A screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/2NAq3eOl.png

And a campaignId I pulled out, dunno if this is the one you need or not:
campaignId=0a5a3820-c93d-4930-aab9-9b7be9ee4d44

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 23:09 nin

Sepharo wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 23:01:
I'm glad I live in Michigan where the speed limit seems to be rarely enforced

I don't think I could take living somewhere where they give tickets for 5 or even 10.

I work with a guy who got pulled over for 4 over once...couldn't believe that. Just a regular highway, no construction or anything.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 23:01 Sepharo

I'm glad I live in Michigan where the speed limit seems to be rarely enforced

I don't think I could take living somewhere where they give tickets for 5 or even 10.

25. Re: Feel your pain Blue Aug 28, 2013, 21:16 PHJF

Driver license records are shared nearly nationwide. If you try to renew your license it may very well be denied from an ignored out-of-state violation.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

24. Re: Feel your pain Blue Aug 28, 2013, 20:02 Creston

Rain wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 19:03:
I think its in the cops interest to ticket out of state drivers, definitely less likely to contest.

If I got an out-of-state ticket, I just wouldn't pay it. The cops between states don't cooperate very well in collecting each others' tickets, so the only time you'd ever get dinged for it is if you get pulled over in the same state again.

23. Re: Feel your pain Blue Aug 28, 2013, 19:19 Julio

The police here are big on hiding at the bottom of hills, right after the sign that lowers the speed limit beyond a point that makes sense.

Dealing with the drivers who are unsafely slow, weaving, drunk, driving the wrong way, or insanely fast and unable to handle it is not a priority. All about raising cash via 10-20 over speeding tickets.

22. Feel your pain Blue Aug 28, 2013, 19:03 Rain

I was stuck behind a slow drive that wasn't doing the speed limit and of course as I go to pass they speed up pushing me even to go faster to overtake them and of course a cop comes over the horizon. Sadly, being an out-of-state driver, I didn't want to take a several hour road trip to the court to contest. I think its in the cops interest to ticket out of state drivers, definitely less likely to contest.  

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."
------------------------------------------------

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 18:26 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 17:30:
My condolences and prayers to you and your loved ones, Elf.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 18:26 xXBatmanXx

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 08:54:
Yeah, that happened to me once -- passing two vehicles at the same time, downhill, just as I completed the pass, there is the cop. Oy.

Did that in Wisconsin about 10 years ago, 2 pickup trucks, downhill, they were going about 50 and kept changing speeds (farm vehicles) I had a quick vehicle at the time and zipped em - 77 in 55. Copper was int he ditch on my left side. Whoops. Sheriff too a LOOOOOONG time to catch up. I went to court and judge knocked it down pretty far.

Blue, don't you guys have Deferred Adjudication? I.e. pay the fine, no bad behavior for 6 months and it stays off your record. You can file it yourself, btw.

Not all states have that, we have that in MN, it is no same or similar within a year, and you just pay the fine. Downside, is if you DO get one within a year, they hit you for 2 on the same day. Ouch.

I don't write many speeding tickets, and even when people are 20 over, I knock it down. We don't have points in MN, but if you get 3 moving violations in 6 months you get a naughty letter. 5 in 12 months and I think you lose your license for 6 months?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 18:22 jdreyer

Oh, Halfie! I'm so sorry!  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 18:19 jdreyer

It doesn't help that Blue was driving a Corvette...

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 17:30 Creston

My condolences and prayers to you and your loved ones, Elf.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 17:05 Hoop

Sorry to hear of your loss Half Elf, grieving is exhausting, keep your sister close.  

Um .. Behind you...

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 16:20 RollinThundr

Sorry for your loss Elf, thoughts and prayers to you and yours.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 13:41 Cutter

"Say not in grief, "She is no more.", but live in thankfulness that she was." - Hebrew proverb

There are no words, buddy. We all know loss, so we all share your grief. And as the old adage goes, grief shared is diminished and joy shared is multiplied. Sorry for you loss.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 12:44  Blue 

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 11:33:
My mom never feared death, knowing that my dad would be waiting for her and after many close calls I pray they were re-united last night. The only thing I could say was 'Give him a hug for me'.

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope there is someone there to give you a hug for me.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 12:28 Verno

Very sorry for your loss Elf, hang in there man  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 11:47 nin

First off, I'm so very very sorry for you and your families loss. It's heartbreaking to hear, and thinking back to my father and the last two months of his life spent in a hospital, I've gotten teary eyed reading that.

I would like to address the comment of:
They cleaned her up so we could see her, and considering it took my 16 years to forget the last 4 numbers on my father's heart monitor when they took him off life support, I didn't want to see my mom. I had just seen her hours before with no indications that anything was wrong, but I couldn't live with myself if I didn't say goodbye.

I'm the exact same way...many years ago (1993) my grandmother died, and I was horrified at the work the mortician had done to make her look resting for the funeral. Even since then, I don't stop at the casket. That's not how I want to remember that person. I want to remember them for who they were, with their personality and the conversations we shared.

Like you, the hospital said they would clean my father up (he died while we were there), and then we could go back and see him again. And I don't regret for a moment not making that second trip. I'll never have to think of him that way, and instead I remember who he was in life.

Again, I'm so very very sorry for your loss. I hope that things get better for you soon.

Annnd now I'm crying...

edit: Rereading, I'm not sure if you meant you went the second trip or not. If you did, and that's what you want, that's good as well. I just didn't want that to be my last memories of my father...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 11:33 The Half Elf

I had the same thing happen to me on one of two 'Hell trips to Florida in a white 2 door car only to get stuck in Georgia for 48 hours'. From Indianapolis to Orlando, got nailed coming over a rise (thankfully just out of the construction area)in Bowling Green KY. and was ticketed. Being stupid and naive and having (at that time) no intention of coming back to the Tri-state area ended up costing me 250 bucks about 3 years later when I was pulled over driving my mom's car with an expired tag.

Speaking of mother, she was making really good recovery from her colon being removed, but was having some sort of minor blockage. She was refusing to have the hose put down her nose/throat/stomach initially, and with the help of my elder nephew and my mom's Pulmonologist (amazing women who's worked with my mom for years)we got her to agree to wear a breathing mask to pull CO-2 from her lungs, and really do what was needed to get her better faster and out of the hospital.
After some chatting it was decided that minor surgery was required to get rid of the blockage, which was scheduled at 8am this morning, so me and the nephew went to my sister's place so I could babysit them for the evening.
So from 6-10:30pm everything was fine. Sister got home early, we chatted about the surgery and how mom was going to fight, and keep positive about getting out of the hospital.

Long story short, just before I left my sister's the hospital called her, and informed her that she had coded and a team was performing CPR on her. She called her neighbor to watch the nephews and headed to the hospital and up to the floor she was on. We stopped at the nurses station and there was only 1 nurse there. Looking down the hallway towards her room I saw a crash cart out in the hallway.
If you have ever worked with nurses or been in a hospital unit you know that nurses typically aren't the quiet types, and you also know the quiet of a unit after they had been unable to save a patient after 30 mins of CPR. My ex was a Critical Care Registered Nurse, and when he came home from work after loosing a patient you could just read it in the body language.
The nurse walking down the hallway from my mother's room had that walk. I have never in my life experienced that much anticipation. And it was to my soul. And my world came to a crawl waiting for the nurse to walk another 10 feet to us. She said 'I'm sorry to inform you....' and I just turned and walked away.
With everything else that had happened this month, my father's transplant on my birthday, and dieing on May 24th, my mother dies 4 days before my sister's birthday, and 3 days before my sister's wedding anniversary on the 27th.

They cleaned her up so we could see her, and considering it took my 16 years to forget the last 4 numbers on my father's heart monitor when they took him off life support, I didn't want to see my mom. I had just seen her hours before with no indications that anything was wrong, but I couldn't live with myself if I didn't say goodbye.

My mom never feared death, knowing that my dad would be waiting for her and after many close calls I pray they were re-united last night. The only thing I could say was 'Give him a hug for me'.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo