Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux

Publisher Deep Silver and developer 4A Games confirm plans to release a dedicated OS X edition of Metro: Last Light, saying the first-person shooter sequel will come to Macs on September 10th via the App Store and Steam. They also announce a Linux edition is also coming sometime before the end of the year, and note that both ports are being handled directly by 4A Games. "The Mac and Linux versions of Metro: Last Light are further testimony to the power and flexibility of the 4A Engine," said Oles Shishkovstov, Chief Technical Officer at 4A Games. "Development was handled in house by 4A games, and we are very happy with the results. We hope that Mac & Linux gamers will appreciate our efforts to create the best possible version for their machines." Here's the plan:

Metro: Last Light on Steam will support Steam Play, meaning that owners of any Steam version will automatically find the game added to their PC, Mac and Linux Steam libraries.

Metro: Last Light for Mac and Linux will receive the same DLC packages as the PC and console versions.

The Metro: Last Light Season Pass, and the Faction Pack and Tower Pack DLC will be available at launch for the Mac release , and the upcoming Developer and Chronicles Packs will release on Steam and the App Store alongside the PC and console releases.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux Aug 28, 2013, 15:48 2nd_floor

Sho wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 15:06:
It sounds odd, but I may actually be happy Valve waited until they did with their Linux push - if they had done it back in 2005, the free driver situation on Linux at the time was much, much worse. Intel wasn't doing nearly as much work on the free driver stack back then and likely wouldn't have been available as partner yet - and their cooperation now is doing a lot to improve the Mesa OpenGL implementation and their drivers. Basically, the situation right now allows Valve and Steam to get a lot more done on the platform than back in 2005, which helps keeping momentum up, which helps engaging people's attention span, all that stuff.

Digital distribution is a factor too - that wasn't nearly as big yet back in 2005, and getting a Linux retail games business going would have been so much harder (Loki and others failed).

It would have taken a lot to bring Steam and its functioning to Linux maybe, but look at how big Ubuntu was. Imagine Ubuntu and a year after Valve's , Blizzard's games onUbuntu. It could have added huge things to Linux.

True with digital distribution, that probably makes Linux games much easier to deploy to the masses.

It's easy to ask for a game on Linux, but maybe there is a lot more behind the scenes to actually getting it out. You could be right that the timing is now right for Linux for games, and the necessary factors, drivers and digital distr., to do it are all coming together like they would not have in the 1990s and even early-mid 2000s.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux Aug 28, 2013, 15:37 2nd_floor

Beelzebud wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 14:26:
2nd_floor wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 14:24:
I think Valve could have done more for Linux.

By porting Steam, hiring the main SDL developer and paying him to work on it full time, working with vendors to fix driver bugs, and then porting their entire library to Linux, Valve has done more for Linux than any other game company in the past decade.

(SDL basically covers all the non-graphics things that are a part of Direct X like input, etc)

But until 2 years ago, they hadn't touched Linux. They have done huge things for it recently, and its starting to look better and better for Linux and gaming. But for years people have asked for Valve's support and we've been through the dark times for Linux gaming support when companies like Valve and Blizzard could have done huge things for it. Never too late, but we've asked for it for years, and other companies have quietly done Linux games. Average Valves support out over 12 years, and they've done next to nothing for it.

It was not an easy decision to do Linux games. Not easy to support, the games will not sell well. But it was similar sales anyway on Mac I think, but companies did Mac games.It came down to whether they wanted to or not (i think, I don't know all about publishing etc.).

Valve was happy to run Steam (the website anyway)on Linux all these years, and make millions of dollars in profit by doing so, but they ignored the Linux gamers' appeal for the games.

15. Re: Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux Aug 28, 2013, 15:06 Sho

It sounds odd, but I may actually be happy Valve waited until they did with their Linux push - if they had done it back in 2005, the free driver situation on Linux at the time was much, much worse. Intel wasn't doing nearly as much work on the free driver stack back then and likely wouldn't have been available as partner yet - and their cooperation now is doing a lot to improve the Mesa OpenGL implementation and their drivers. Basically, the situation right now allows Valve and Steam to get a lot more done on the platform than back in 2005, which helps keeping momentum up, which helps engaging people's attention span, all that stuff.

Digital distribution is a factor too - that wasn't nearly as big yet back in 2005, and getting a Linux retail games business going would have been so much harder (Loki and others failed).

14. Re: Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux Aug 28, 2013, 14:26 Beelzebud

2nd_floor wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 14:24:
I think Valve could have done more for Linux.

By porting Steam, hiring the main SDL developer and paying him to work on it full time, working with vendors to fix driver bugs, and then porting their entire library to Linux, Valve has done more for Linux than any other game company in the past decade.

(SDL basically covers all the non-graphics things that are a part of Direct X like input, etc)

13. Re: Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux Aug 28, 2013, 14:24 Beelzebud

It's so nice to see this surge in Linux popularity for games. I'm also looking forward to playing Natural Selection 2 this Friday on a native Linux client.

Another completely modern engine will see Linux in a couple of days!

12. Re: Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux Aug 28, 2013, 14:24 2nd_floor

Yes, I remember OpenAL from Loki, and was surprised to see it still around. It's on the back of Creative Labs' sound blaster cards as supported!

You can never trust Microsoft. They are not out to make the best they can, but rather the only product on the market. They only want to dominate by sales numbers, not quality or "for the average person". I wonder why Apple didn't do better much earlier, I mean when Windows Me was out, and people kept using it. Linux was maybe not ready for general use by the entire population, but why didn't people switch to Mac? Windows XP may have saved Microsoft maybe. Vista maybe was the last straw for people.

Actually its possible that gaming (and Microsoft Office) saved Windows through Me to XP.

I think Valve could have done more for Linux. Even in the 1990s with Half-Life, but definitely in about 2005, such as with Ubuntu. And where the heck is Blizzard with its Linux support?

Wow, I went all over the place there!

11. Re: Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux Aug 28, 2013, 13:26 Sho

Yeah, tesselation was for example added in OpenGL 4.0 back in 2010, although there were vendor-specific extensions before that.

It's true that OpenGL went through a bit of a slog for a while and DirectX was advancing faster at the same time, but that eventually got fixed with reorganizations of the OpenGL standards committee, and then mobile took off and everybody needed an open GPU API and there was only one available, OpenGL.

As for consoles, most games on the current gen don't really use either DirectX or OpenGL, but code to lower-level interfaces specific to each console, although both DirectX and (an old version of) OpenGL are available to devs on the Xbox, and OpenGL is available on the PlayStation 3. On the PlayStation 4, OpenGL 4 is actually the standard API to use.

As for audio, a modern audio API that even a lot of games on Windows use is called OpenAL - and actually originated on Linux. OpenAL was originally designed by a company called Loki Games which tried to run a business porting games to Linux back in the 90s - when the market was still too small, so they ultimately failed sadly, but OpenAL lived on. So audio code is actually quite portable between the platforms since almost every engine can use OpenAL. The reason OpenAL became relevant on Windows was that Microsoft initially dropped hardware-accelerated audio APIs with Vista and OpenAL was what audio hardware driver people and game engine people settled on to talk to each other in lieu of that. Microsoft later backported XAudio2 from the Xbox 360 to Windows, though.

10. Re: Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux Aug 28, 2013, 13:10 2nd_floor

Neat. So tesselation and "god rays" from DirectX 11 and 10 respectively, as well as any other features of 10 and 11, those are the only two I know about, can be done in OpenGL 4.x for sure you say, possibly not OpenGL 3.x though.

So DirectX is only on consoles and PCs now? OpenGL and its derivatives are mobile, web and PCs. Why is it that games do not let people choose the renderer like the 1990s. I thought everything since early 2000s used DirectX, and until only a few years ago, OpenGL was considered dead. It was at version 1.x maybe.

What about audio?

9. Re: Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux Aug 28, 2013, 12:44 Sho

You're wrong - the two APIs are effectively equivalent in terms of capabilities you actually want to use in a game right now. Do keep in mind that most new graphics functionality is generally still implemented in OpenGL first even, via vendor-specific extensions, which vendors can do with OpenGL, but can't with DirectX since Microsoft controls it exclusively. Subsequently, such things then get standardized in a vendor-neutral way and put into new versions of the OpenGL standard.

nVidia actually uses Linux internally to prototype a lot of new driver functionality apparently - Carmack said at QuakeCon this year that nVidia keeps pushing him to switch his dev system over to Linux because then they can supply him much easier with prototype drivers that rely on kernel modifications, which they can't do on Windows.

OpenGL has pretty much "won", anyway - DirectX is fairly stagnant, OpenGL owns the mobile market, and OpenGL owns the web via WebGL. From a developer perspective, at this point it'd be nice if DirectX just died a quiet death so no one has to target two APIs anymore, since OpenGL isn't going away at this point. Of course, I don't really expect Microsoft to agree :).

There is one snag, though: While nVidia's and AMD's proprietary Linux drivers implement OpenGL 4.x, the free drivers for the same hardware that many Linux users prefer, as well as Intel's drivers, still target OpenGL 3.x. That is indeed a bit behind the curve, although it's not holding back general purpose engines all that much, and I suspect a high-end game like Metro is perhaps even content to outright require the proprietary drivers.

8. Re: Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux Aug 28, 2013, 12:40 2nd_floor

Nice! Beautiful in fact! But I wonder if it will be on par graphically with the Windows version, because I think DirectX 10,11 is well ahead of what OpenGL(Linux) can do. I may be wrong, hope I am.

More announcements like this one please.

7. removed Aug 28, 2013, 08:05 aler

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 28, 2013, 08:18.

6. Re: Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux Aug 28, 2013, 07:51 Sho

This is really awesome. Metro: Last Light probably sets a new standard for the most graphically sophisticated game available natively for Linux, considering the Source games aren't exactly spectacular anymore and otherwise you only got some techdemos like Unigine's benchmarks in the graphically intense segment.

It's a shame id abandoned Linux considering they're still doing OpenGL - Rage runs very well on Linux via Wine, but it would have been an obvious candidate for a native build, and Doom 3 was in the spot Metro will now occupy on the platform for a long time.

Here's hoping Metro won't reign that long (i.e. that we'll get technologically fancy games more regularly now).

5. Re: Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux Aug 28, 2013, 05:08 ViRGE

Watter wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 01:46:
How is this even playable on a mac? Unless you have a Mac Pro (small market one would have to believe), the best video card you can have is a GeForce 650M, right? Can that card play MLL in a way that makes it worth it?
Current iMacs go up to the 680MX, which is similar in performance to the desktop 670. So they're not completely hobbled in that respect.

4. Re: Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux Aug 28, 2013, 03:37 Sempai

News like this makes me smile.  

3. Re: Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux Aug 28, 2013, 02:30 cronik

About time!  

2. Re: Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux Aug 28, 2013, 01:46 Watter

How is this even playable on a mac? Unless you have a Mac Pro (small market one would have to believe), the best video card you can have is a GeForce 650M, right? Can that card play MLL in a way that makes it worth it?  

1. Re: Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux Aug 27, 2013, 22:08 Cutter

Let's just get MLL on sale already shall we?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo