Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Cancer On The Game Industry - I Am Not A 'Cancer' On The Game Industry. Thanks nin.
But I do believe that free-to-play has a number of advantages for players and developers alike. On the development side, a free-to-play game lowers the risk involved in making a game. A developer is able to release a high quality game that represents a fraction of the total vision, and if players think it is fun and justify it by spending money, the developer can continue to improve the game for months or years on end. If the game does not find success in the marketplace, it is far better to release a game and fail after a year of work than it is to fail after six years of blood, sweat and tears.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Op Ed Aug 28, 2013, 06:52 eRe4s3r

Veterator wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 23:45:
PropheT wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 23:08:
Cutter wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 22:23:
So far only Turbine has done F2P mostly right.

Trion's implementation of RIFT's free to play is by far the best I've seen, actually. Still, in both cases they're PTP games that went free to play and weren't developed that way to begin with; I've yet to see a game actually developed as truly F2p that had the same quality to it.

We'll see how Rift does. I agree it's well done, but Trion is making a lot of drastic changes to their company with, so far, no reason as to why. When they continue to say that Rift is doing well and all that. You just know Defiance is not, it can't be with how the price dropped on it.

The f2p model of Rift is great, but the game isn't.. of course the same can be said for any other MMO game that is f2p... it's by design.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Op Ed Aug 28, 2013, 06:43 panbient

osage no onna wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 02:18:

That sounds really defeatist somehow. "We're probably going to fail anyway so why try so hard". If you're just throwing something half-baked out there with the hope that it'll somehow do so well that you can evolve it into a proper quality game, it likely won't. Just make the best thing you can and try to have some faith in it.

Edit: Kotaku's link-baiting attempt at controversy worked again, but I have an adblocker so the last laugh's on them Smug

That sounds like almost word for word like the former VP of my company and the current lead designer on our 'first' attempt at a F2P product (even though it's our 2nd - just this one got released first). The worst attitude is that 'analytics' and 'data tracking' will provide the necessary direction for the design of the product so he doesn't actually have to finish cooking his half-baked ideas.

His entire design documentation in regards to updating a feature - "The clothing store needs to be redesigned." That's it, that's all, that's the entirety of the design document in regards to that feature. I suppose I could get fired and sued for posting this, then again they pay me less than some entry level call center positions too, so... whatever.

8. Re: Op Ed Aug 28, 2013, 05:41 ViRGE

Capitan wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 05:13:
In the past game developers had a passion for making games, now it's just money that determines what storyline a game will contain. In good ol' days it was more like 'an odd idea' was better. Now doesn't the game studios dare to take that 'extra' step because they're so afraid of losing money and ofc we can thank the big dragons like EA, Id etc for this. They choose mainstream because they know that works.
Well let's not put on the rose colored glasses quite yet. For professional developers it has always been about the money. However after the fall of the arcades the best way to earn money was to make fun games, and so that's what developers did. It was something that worked out well for both parties.

Otherwise you're spot on about the pitfalls of F2P. I hesitate to call anyone a "cancer", but when the model is based around creating addictions and exploiting the user first, and being genuinely fun second (at best) then we have a problem, which the author is seemingly contributing to.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2013, 06:54.

7. Re: Op Ed Aug 28, 2013, 05:13 Capitan

There are some things with F2P that I find hard to accept:

1) It gets darn expensive in the long run to play F2P. Why? Well, too often, these games have a restriction of any kind, so if you don't pay, you can't take advantage of everything. This makes the game (for me) loses it's charm and magic.

2) Because they want to maximize their profit in the F2P-genre doesn't allows players to be creative at all, in other words you may not have access to the development tools so you can make and share your own maps, mods etc. I personally think such is fun so why shouldn't I be able to get the opportunity to bring something back to the game and cummunity?

3) With F2P, it often becomes a stress or pressure to always get to the next level - it's one of the ideas in this game genre. They want to keep the player fully occupied so he/she doesn't have time for other. When do they think that you should have fun and enjoy the game? Good question, isn't it ...?

- - -

In the past game developers had a passion for making games, now it's just money that determines what storyline a game will contain. In good ol' days it was more like 'an odd idea' was better. Now doesn't the game studios dare to take that 'extra' step because they're so afraid of losing money and ofc we can thank the big dragons like EA, Id etc for this. They choose mainstream because they know that works.

Bah! I may be old school, but the games were more fun before in good ol' days...

Over and out!
/Capi

6. Re: Op Ed Aug 28, 2013, 02:18 osage no onna

On the development side, a free-to-play game lowers the risk involved in making a game. A developer is able to release a high quality game that represents a fraction of the total vision, and if players think it is fun and justify it by spending money, the developer can continue to improve the game for months or years on end. If the game does not find success in the marketplace, it is far better to release a game and fail after a year of work than it is to fail after six years of blood, sweat and tears.

That sounds really defeatist somehow. "We're probably going to fail anyway so why try so hard". If you're just throwing something half-baked out there with the hope that it'll somehow do so well that you can evolve it into a proper quality game, it likely won't. Just make the best thing you can and try to have some faith in it.

Edit: Kotaku's link-baiting attempt at controversy worked again, but I have an adblocker so the last laugh's on them Smug

5. Re: Op Ed Aug 28, 2013, 00:16 Tumbler

I'm really enjoying War Thunder. I've spent a total of $4 and if they can get Ground and Sea stuff running so I could jump between those during a combat session I can see myself playing the crap out of that. They even have a Wake Island map! Free To Play games can be great, I think Planetside 2 is ok, World of Tanks is great.

The problem seems to come from "Traditional" development teams / Publishers that want to gouge consumers $1 at a time just like they do at launch of games asking people to pay $50-$60 and then a month later it's selling for half that. When those folks start building a game to suck money out of people you end up with something like the SWTOR FTP model or cash shops in MMO's with subscriptions. (STO)

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

4. Re: Op Ed Aug 27, 2013, 23:45 Veterator

PropheT wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 23:08:

Trion's implementation of RIFT's free to play is by far the best I've seen, actually. Still, in both cases they're PTP games that went free to play and weren't developed that way to begin with; I've yet to see a game actually developed as truly F2p that had the same quality to it.

We'll see how Rift does. I agree it's well done, but Trion is making a lot of drastic changes to their company with, so far, no reason as to why. When they continue to say that Rift is doing well and all that. You just know Defiance is not, it can't be with how the price dropped on it.

3. Re: Op Ed Aug 27, 2013, 23:08 PropheT

2. Re: Op Ed Aug 27, 2013, 22:23 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

1. Re: Op Ed Aug 27, 2013, 21:46 Ozmodan

Most of the f2p games are NOT high quality by any means!  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo