Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Back in the day, hardware upgrades for a PC gaming enthusiast were constant: the state of the art evolved too fast to sit still. Nowadays this has calmed down significantly, while new technology continues to improve, but the need to upgrade so rapidly is gone. This is to the point where I was almost surprised by the recent realization that my machine was behind the curve, even though it's been years without any sort of real performance boost. I may do a full upgrade with a new CPU/mobo at some point to follow, but in the meantime I'm very happy with a simple video card upgrade, as I picked up a GTX 760, and this bang-for-the-buck card performs like a champ. Using it to replace the GTX 260 in my aging E8500-based PC has pushed it back to being an above-average gaming system, and eventually putting this card into a rig with a new CPU and an SSD should be pretty awesome.

Awesome Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Road of the Dead 2.
Beach Crazy.
Stories: PBS documentary on concussions leaves ESPN black and blue.
Memories of positive associations get written onto DNA.
Science: Breaking Down 'Breaking Bad'. Thanks Boing Boing.
Don't Feed The Bears: we'll end up having to kill them.
Media: Balrog: Behind the Glory.
Monster Truck flips into stands. Why those seats are empty.
Follow-up: Nothing but the Soylent: we’re trying 1 full week of the meal substitute.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 23:25 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 16:14:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 14:36:
SSD was one of the best upgrades I've done in a long time, especially for slow loading games like Battlefield 3. I read they screwed up the compression of the files or something, only the DLC packs seem to load off of mechanical hard drives with reasonable times.

Get an SSD just don't skimp and think it's only good for a boot/OS drive. You'll want all your main applications installed on it as well as a few games.

Agreed. The difference in load times alone is totally worth it in many games. Get a Samsung 256GB drive IMO.

I love my SSD OS drive. Boots up and runs like a champ. Boot time is subn 30 seconds. I am goign to get another one to put some games on. Skyrim and other bulky games will be nice on it.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 16:14 Verno

DangerDog wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 14:36:
SSD was one of the best upgrades I've done in a long time, especially for slow loading games like Battlefield 3. I read they screwed up the compression of the files or something, only the DLC packs seem to load off of mechanical hard drives with reasonable times.

Get an SSD just don't skimp and think it's only good for a boot/OS drive. You'll want all your main applications installed on it as well as a few games.

Agreed. The difference in load times alone is totally worth it in many games. Get a Samsung 256GB drive IMO.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

43. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 14:42 jdreyer

@ Redline Joe,
You've been on this site a long time. You can just email Blue, and he'll put a story up about your work. He's nice like that, and something like this makes a nice conversation topic. But if you post an ad-like comment, you could run into trouble.

Also, Creston totally pwnd you.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

42. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 00:54 Creston

RedlineJoe wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 23:04:
Read the comments before questioning the authenticity

Read the comments on youtube? That's like asking people to put their tongue in a blender before asking a question.

This type of platform architecture will cause almost all upgrades and console purchases to slow to a crawl in the next 3-5 years.

Where did we hear that before? Oh... right. Hi Onlive! I'm sure it streams nicely over your 802.11 n wireless network on a 1ms connection. Now how does it stream over the web? How does it stream when the customer is more than 5km away from your data center? How does it stream when their bandwith is < 5Mbps? Because Onlive refused to answer those questions, and the simple answer was "It streams like fucking shit."

After 5 years console and PC hardware development will still have huge gains but spread out over longer periods of time. That is something you already see by how long consoles stay on the market nowadays.

That had to do with MS and Sony not wanting to start up R&D a year after releasing new consoles more than anything. I'm not sure that somehow validates your point that this technology will basically kill personal ownership and upgrades of hardware.

IF the technology can ever be made so that it can actually stream a maximum res image flawlessly and IF it can ever come up with controls that don't feel lagged and IF the US ever upgrades their bandwith so that everyone has FTTH and IF we ever get rid of data caps (you said you're streaming to a phone. So, you get... five hours of playing before you reach your monthly cap?) this technology will become interesting.

And even then you're going to run up to a ton of people who actively hate the idea that you buy a game only to get zero ownership over it. The Failbox 180 fiasco demonstrated that quite amply.

So until all those issues are fixed, few people are going to trade in their consoles and PCs to play streamed games, no matter how good the technology might be. Both Onlive and Gaikai were struggling to get even a thousand concurrent players.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 23:04 RedlineJoe

I develop platforms to stream video games to any device. That's any game to any device. This is most similar to Gaikai that Sony purchased to run PS4 streaming (cloud) gaming services.

In the video you will see I'm streaming Far Cry 3 at 1080p Ultra GFX settings to my Samsung Galaxy S4. I am playing with a wireless Xbox 360 gamepad so I do not need to touch my mobile screen for input controls. The audio and video frames are streamed over the wifi. You may also recognize this service as being similar to the recently released Nvidia Sheild device.

Here is a prototype demo: http://youtu.be/mKUPWToXRDM

Read the comments before questioning the authenticity. This type of platform architecture will cause almost all upgrades and console purchases to slow to a crawl in the next 3-5 years. After 5 years console and PC hardware development will still have huge gains but spread out over longer periods of time. That is something you already see by how long consoles stay on the market nowadays.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 22:08 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 21:44:
Nevver had this problem, think it might be a driver issue, but I get Nvidia driver not responding crashes a lot lately (windows error) probably 40% of the time starting upi BF3. I updated the driver but didn't get a chance to play recently. Anyone have this issue before and resolve with a driver change? I downloaded a few to try, but was worried the card 660Ti was overheating, but odd only 1 game would do it?

I truly think it has to do with the shitty web interface to game deal that BF3 has....not a fan...

I can see that web interface crashing your game, but not your graphics card to the point where the OS needs to recover it (which used to be BSoDs.)

Roll back to that last stable driver, which was it... 3.20 something? 3.14, just checked mine.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 22:06 PHJF

Revert to 314.22 and see.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

38. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 22:06 Creston

PHJF wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 20:51:
No it won't. On air it maxes ~3.4 for stable use. I got a shitty chip that won't take over 3.2 (and needs lots of vcore to manage that) but I keep it well cooled. The thing is just OOLLDDD.

Okay, admittedly 4Ghz needs water, but I got mine at 3.6 with a $50 Zalman. Ran perfectly fine too.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 21:44 xXBatmanXx

Nevver had this problem, think it might be a driver issue, but I get Nvidia driver not responding crashes a lot lately (windows error) probably 40% of the time starting upi BF3. I updated the driver but didn't get a chance to play recently. Anyone have this issue before and resolve with a driver change? I downloaded a few to try, but was worried the card 660Ti was overheating, but odd only 1 game would do it?

I truly think it has to do with the shitty web interface to game deal that BF3 has....not a fan...

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

36. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 21:34 Redmask

Creston wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 18:53:
OC that puppy! With a decent cooler it'll go to 4Ghz without any trouble.

You need to get a lucky chip to OC a Q6600 to 4.0 stable on air.

The i5-750 was a champ though.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 20:51 PHJF

No it won't. On air it maxes ~3.4 for stable use. I got a shitty chip that won't take over 3.2 (and needs lots of vcore to manage that) but I keep it well cooled. The thing is just OOLLDDD.  

34. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 18:53 Creston

PHJF wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 18:25:
My Q6600 is really feeling its age. Borderlands 2 really hammers the thing.

OC that puppy! With a decent cooler it'll go to 4Ghz without any trouble.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 18:52 Creston

Beamer wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 17:57:
Making games that look better is extremely expensive, no one is particularly demanding it, and with consoles representing such a large share of sales there's no big reason to push that envelope.

So naturally it is the ONE thing that basically every publisher completely focuses on.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 18:49 NegaDeath

I had a Q9400 and it ran almost every game smoothly except Guild Wars 2. Mobo started to bite it so I upgraded to an Ivy 3550k system, kept the GPU, and it nearly doubled my FPS in that game. So there definitely has been a good jump in performance since the Core2/Quad days, it just hasn't been needed for the most part.  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 18:41 Cutter

PHJF wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 18:17:
GMG20-KCDKK-H4TPB stacks on Infinite for total price of $16.

What the eff? I tried that and it didn't work for me. I'll email CS and see what's up. Thanks chaps.

Toff

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

30. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 18:25 PHJF

My Q6600 is really feeling its age. Borderlands 2 really hammers the thing.  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 18:21 smackdaddy

I'm with you man. I'm rocking a Q9650 with a GTX260 and I've just started to think about a video card replacement. Simply no reason for a complete overhaul.  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 18:17 PHJF

GMG20-KCDKK-H4TPB stacks on Infinite for total price of $16.  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 17:57 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 14:29:
I think the most obvious reasons that we're not upgrading gangbusters is due to the increase in cross platform titles. The limited capabilities of the 360 and PS3 have been holding back the PC.

But there's also the fact that the graphics have gotten pretty much "good enough." No one is looking at BF3 and thinking that the graphics look too blocky, jaggy, or low res. The improvements these days are much more subtle, so you get much less visual improvement for the extra money you spend relative to the past.

And lastly there's a huge cost with making things too realistic that most companies have chosen to eschew pushing things to the hardware limit. With fewer games pushing the hardware, there's less incentive to upgrade.

All very accurate.
Making games that look better is extremely expensive, no one is particularly demanding it, and with consoles representing such a large share of sales there's no big reason to push that envelope.

I don't think this steadiness is a bad thing for consumers, but the lack of "wow" has certainly hurt sales. However, making games that look much better just isn't overly feasible.
Heck, most people here go nuts over simple looking indie games, not big, graphic intensive AAA games. Better graphics doesn't seem to be the solution for those AAA games.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 17:47 Cutter

nin wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 17:09:
Cutter wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 17:04:
Cool beans, just snagged Bioshock Infinite at GMG as it's on for $20 bones for the next 48 hours! Booyah!

Did you use the coupon? Should have made it like $16...

No, tried two different kewpons and neither worked.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo